St Kilda

Talk on the national game

Re: St Kilda 2018

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:St Kilda are going well if they pickup an old delisted Carlton player.
Sam Rowe has a big heart but he was an average player at best in his peak.

Seen that when going through cheap supercoach defenders, thought surely not
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

With Dylan Roberton missing 2019 through health concerns Jack Billings has been elevated to the leadership group.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Unbelievable comments from Alan Richardson :

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-22/ ... ormer-swan

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.

Saints coach Alan Richardson told Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday morning the 28-year-old's calves and hamstrings had been giving him grief when he hit top speed, forcing the club's fitness staff to "rebuild" the former Swan to some extent.

"We knew that he had stints where he hadn't played, we knew about his training history, or lack thereof, that he'd really struggle to be able to get the (training) time in," Richardson said.

"Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn't.

"We did know we were getting a bloke that we needed, to some extent, rebuild, but probably not to this extent.

"But that's OK. He's here for a long time. He's not here for a short time. If it means he's not here for a month longer than we thought, that's fine."

The triple All Australian will likely return through the VFL when he is declared fit, but Richardson forecast that could be some time away.

"To some extent, he needs to be rebuilt … I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than round four," Richardson said.

"It'll take a while I reckon. I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

"It'll depend a little bit on how he responds but right now, the response has been slow and the response has been consistent. When we get him up to 30-32km/h, he's starting to get wonky. That's going to take a little bit of time."

Richardson explained why Hannebery was experiencing these problems.

"He's been getting sore, basically anywhere to do with his legs but particularly his calves and his hamstrings. As we've upped the load in terms of the intensity, his body has just struggled," Richardson said.

"He's had two years where he just hasn't been able to put in the work. He's gone out and played without great prep because he's been able to do that for a fair while.

"He's a little warrior, he's obviously been a champion player. I reckon it's caught up with him."

Hannebery averaged 19 disposals last season, his lowest tally since his debut campaign in 2008.

Richardson believes St Kilda is on the right path to fixing Hannebery's body.

"Our guys are really confident now, that they've spent enough time with Dan and learnt from how he's responded or how he hasn't responded to whatever we've thrown at him," Richardson said.

"They know we're going to have to go right back and get this done and that's started, so we're already a couple of weeks into that."

Meanwhile, star midfielder Jack Steven looks set to face Gold Coast on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium.

Steven took a 10-day break late last month to deal with a mental health issue, but has since returned to training.

His has received approval to play from that perspective, needing only to prove his fitness after being named on an extended bench for his side's season opener.

"I'm really confident Jack will play," Richardson said.

"If you'd have asked me two weeks ago, I would've been very surprised (if he'd play). He's done a remarkable job, and so have the people working with him."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Booney wrote:Unbelievable comments from Alan Richardson :

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-22/ ... ormer-swan

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.

Saints coach Alan Richardson told Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday morning the 28-year-old's calves and hamstrings had been giving him grief when he hit top speed, forcing the club's fitness staff to "rebuild" the former Swan to some extent.

"We knew that he had stints where he hadn't played, we knew about his training history, or lack thereof, that he'd really struggle to be able to get the (training) time in," Richardson said.

"Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn't.

"We did know we were getting a bloke that we needed, to some extent, rebuild, but probably not to this extent.

"But that's OK. He's here for a long time. He's not here for a short time. If it means he's not here for a month longer than we thought, that's fine."

The triple All Australian will likely return through the VFL when he is declared fit, but Richardson forecast that could be some time away.

"To some extent, he needs to be rebuilt … I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than round four," Richardson said.

"It'll take a while I reckon. I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

"It'll depend a little bit on how he responds but right now, the response has been slow and the response has been consistent. When we get him up to 30-32km/h, he's starting to get wonky. That's going to take a little bit of time."

Richardson explained why Hannebery was experiencing these problems.

"He's been getting sore, basically anywhere to do with his legs but particularly his calves and his hamstrings. As we've upped the load in terms of the intensity, his body has just struggled," Richardson said.

"He's had two years where he just hasn't been able to put in the work. He's gone out and played without great prep because he's been able to do that for a fair while.

"He's a little warrior, he's obviously been a champion player. I reckon it's caught up with him."

Hannebery averaged 19 disposals last season, his lowest tally since his debut campaign in 2008.

Richardson believes St Kilda is on the right path to fixing Hannebery's body.

"Our guys are really confident now, that they've spent enough time with Dan and learnt from how he's responded or how he hasn't responded to whatever we've thrown at him," Richardson said.

"They know we're going to have to go right back and get this done and that's started, so we're already a couple of weeks into that."

Meanwhile, star midfielder Jack Steven looks set to face Gold Coast on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium.

Steven took a 10-day break late last month to deal with a mental health issue, but has since returned to training.

His has received approval to play from that perspective, needing only to prove his fitness after being named on an extended bench for his side's season opener.

"I'm really confident Jack will play," Richardson said.

"If you'd have asked me two weeks ago, I would've been very surprised (if he'd play). He's done a remarkable job, and so have the people working with him."

as much as I love hanners and I wish him all the best... He was done with us. Couldn't believe the deal he got
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Swans are still pissing themselves laughing
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm

It's embarrassing really.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Gosaints » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 am

not talking premierships but will take the win!
Gosaints
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 am

Gosaints wrote:not talking premierships but will take the win!

Pencil in another one on Saturday
Jim05
Coach

Postby Gosaints » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 am

Jim05 wrote:
Gosaints wrote:not talking premierships but will take the win!

Pencil in another one on Saturday

hope so as I am heading over Sat morning to catch up with some mates at that game
Gosaints
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:36 am

Didn't think things could get worse down at Moorabbin :

St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebery quietly stepped away from the club’s leadership group last week so he could focus on his injury rehabilitation.

Foxfooty.com.au can reveal defender Nathan Brown has been added on a casual basis (just as Tim Membrey attended a selection of meetings in 2018) and will take up many of the responsibilities left by Dylan Roberton, who stepped aside recently due to health concerns.

Hannebery is believed to be at least five weeks away from returning to AFL level following an interrupted pre-season with calf and hamstring troubles.

His demotion, which could still be temporary, is not seen as a knock on his leadership. Rather insiders maintain the lay-off is intended to help him recover from a series of soft tissue complaints with complete focus on his conditioning.

Saints coach Alan Richardson has had two opportunities to announce the leadership group adjustment but did not mention the restructure in his radio interview Friday morning or post-game on Sunday.

The club also confirmed Jack Billings’ elevation and Roberton’s omission via its website last week but there was no mention of the Brown-Hannebery changes.

Rehabilitation requirements can also often overlap with leadership group commitments, which normally include at least one early-week meeting with Richardson.

The change in leadership structure raises further questions about St Kilda’s acquisition of Hannebery, albeit through no fault of the player, who is doing everything he can to get back out on the park.

Last August foxfooty.com.au revealed the Swans were “open” to trading the left-footer. Sydney vehemently denied the report, but ultimately the story understated the reality. The Hannebery camp were resolute in the belief the Swans actually wanted him out, partly because of his juicy salary forged across several superb seasons, but also due to his injury-prone body.

Other AFL club big wigs referred to the manoeuvre “a salary dump,” although this was denied by the Swans.

Simon Lethlean, who has a close connection with Hannebery via the tight-knit Old Xaverians Football Club, came calling and a trade was orchestrated on the second last day of the trade period.

Hannebery wanted to join St Kilda and was confident the club’s medical staff would allow him to return to his best.

The Saints offered Hannebery in the vicinity of $800,000 per season across four years with a trigger for a fifth, which he accepted. But for a player who was traded alongside Pick 28 for Pick 39 and a 2019 second round pick, this was a high price to pay in terms of dollars and years on the contract.

Normally players who are worth big money are also worth high draft picks. Value is value. But this balance was skewed with Hannebery largely because the Saints really needed his leadership and experience and the Swans - who wanted to free up salary cap space - were privately content to allow him to move on.

As soon as he arrived at St Kilda there was little doubt the three-time all-Australian would be elevated to the leadership group – sources inside the club were adamant he would be a walk-up start as a leader well before the vote count – although it took until February for the decision to be made official.

Many were surprised at the profound impact he had from the moment he walked in. Literally from the first meeting, Hannebery was not afraid to offer guidance and voice his opinion. This was warmly appreciated by younger players in particular. There was a chasm in leadership quality and Hannebery actively sought to fill the void.

“I’m pretty proud, but a little bit surprised initially, obviously being at a new club where you’re not sure what the guys think of you,” Hannebery told the club’s website.

Shortly after, Hannebery’s chances to play in Round 1 diminished due to calf and hamstring “awareness.”

Unable to reach full speed, strapped up and yet to join the main group, the 2012 premiership player was resigned to running laps as Richardson spoke to reporters last week.

It’s believed a professional Hannebery continued to be vocal in meetings and helpful strategically around the club but in recent weeks had understandably become frustrated and anxious regarding his body.

As a result, the decision was made to alleviate him of his official leadership responsibilities and elevate Brown, who has proven to be a measured and impressive senior member of the group since arriving at the Saints.

Those close to Hannebery maintain he has been the consummate professional in recent months and teammates certainly enjoy his direction and leadership, even if he has been relieved of his official leadership duties for now.

ST KILDA LEADERSHIP GROUP IN FEBRUARY

Jarryn Geary (Captain)

Seb Ross

Tim Membrey

Dan Hannebery

Dylan Roberton

ST KILDA LEADERSHIP GROUP NOW

Jarry Geary (Captain)

Seb Ross

Tim Membrey

Jack Billings

Nathan Brown (casual)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:54 am

I don’t think that’s a big deal
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:59 am

definitely not a big deal. Hanners stepped down so he could focus on his recovery
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 am

Brodlach wrote:I don’t think that’s a big deal

Showing younger players how to commit to rehab, how to be professional, whilst still aiding their development is, in my mind, a perfect opportunity to demonstrate leadership.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 am

Booney wrote:

Showing younger players how to commit to rehab, how to be professional, whilst still aiding their development is, in my mind, a perfect opportunity to demonstrate leadership.

To me stepping down to focus on rehab is showing leadership. I was more saying no big deal it hadn’t been reported to the media
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:06 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:

To me stepping down to focus on rehab is showing leadership. I was more saying no big deal it hadn’t been reported to the media

( First part ) - Surely you can do both at once?

( Second part ) - Seems deliberate given the bad smell about them already.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 am

I’d rather be totally focused on rehab than using the time to go into leadership meetings

We don’t need to know everything that happens in a club
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:40 am

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:

( First part ) - Surely you can do both at once?

( Second part ) - Seems deliberate given the bad smell about them already.

#closetsaintsfan [emoji3]
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 am

It's like nobody in a leadership group has ever been rehabilitating from a long term injury before. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 am

Booney wrote:It's like nobody in a leadership group has ever been rehabilitating from a long term injury before. :lol:

Not one that has moved to a new club anyway and hasn’t even played a game for them ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Gosaints » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm

good win, starting to see some good signs for the future
Gosaints
Rookie