2018 AFL Ladder predictions

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Ladder predictions

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote::(

I'll leave the room then, sorry.

There's more people who think as you do than how I do mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 am

Melbourne are shit.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 am

Booney wrote:Whilst I haven't put it in my ladder I've got a funny gut feel about the Bulldogs and Richmond and I've got nothing to back it up other than the feeling in my waters.

Dogs to rise up, Richmond to fall over....I don't think it will happen but it's a thought I keep having when looking at the year ahead.

Agree, last year was the correction the Bullies needed, can see them really challenging again in 18, they have the best coach in the comp too, IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:13 am

MW wrote:Melbourne are shit.

Didn't think you'd be too keen on them LOL.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:14 am

Booney wrote:

That scares me, I know what goes on in my head and some of it just aint right.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

That scares me, I know what goes on in my head and some of it just aint right.

I meant about Melbourne mate, not riding a ladies bike with a carton in the basket. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am

Bombers Premiers 2018!!
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:41 am

Booney wrote:
I meant about Melbourne mate, not riding a ladies bike with a carton in the basket. :lol:

I've also fitted 2x2 litre cokes, a 1 litre bottle of CC's and a bag of ice in that basket, my brother filmed it and FB'd it too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 am

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:its not measuring finals wins, that's fine, it's that 2014 is a completely arbitrary line in the sand. Why not pluck how many finals we have won since 2012 instead? If you're going to use "finals won since 2014" as a measurement, then you need to do that to all clubs and benchmark it.

How many finals did Richmond win in the three years before last year?

See? It's meaningless.

You blokes need to take a stats course.

so you think that a team's strength last year is in no way correlated to the strength of the team this year? (as well as many other factors)

never heard of bayes theorem?

you may need to take a stats course to learn about it
Nice strawman, Benny.

Bayesian networks are handy for predicting probability when the conditions of the data are small. Soccer, is a good one, because you have limited scoring. Baseball, too. You can see upwards of a 70% accuracy for those sports. AFL? Where there are 18 players on the field, a oval ball, high scoring variables and shall we say... a unique interpretive set of rules means that method simply won't work too well for our sport.

But! That's not my point. Say you do want to use a Bayesian model to predict the probable strength of a team next year, you would have to select a statistically significant time frame to measure for and not just cherry pick, like old mate did, an arbitrary point in time, and then not benchmark that score against other samples.

Otherwise, you can select and manipulate the data to say almost anything you like.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 am

Why does everything need to transcend into a scientific/mathematical argument?

Why can't we just say shit coz that's what we think :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah. So nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:its not measuring finals wins, that's fine, it's that 2014 is a completely arbitrary line in the sand. Why not pluck how many finals we have won since 2012 instead? If you're going to use "finals won since 2014" as a measurement, then you need to do that to all clubs and benchmark it.

See? It's meaningless.

so you think that a team's strength last year is in no way correlated to the strength of the team this year? (as well as many other factors)

Nice strawman, Benny.

Bayesian networks are handy for predicting probability when the conditions of the data are small. Soccer, is a good one, because you have limited scoring. Baseball, too. You can see upwards of a 70% accuracy for those sports. AFL? Where there are 18 players on the field, a oval ball, high scoring variables and shall we say... a unique interpretive set of rules means that method simply won't work too well for our sport.

But! That's not my point. Say you do want to use a Bayesian model to predict the probable strength of a team next year, you would have to select a statistically significant time frame to measure for and not just cherry pick, like old mate did, an arbitrary point in time, and then not benchmark that score against other samples.

Otherwise, you can select and manipulate the data to say almost anything you like.

****.... What a brain fart...Lost interest after reading Bayesian. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

The Bedge wrote:Why does everything need to transcend into a scientific/mathematical argument?

I would have said the last couple of years has little to do with this year because we've turned over 11 players in our squad, but that would be too simplistic. I think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

See? It's meaningless.

Nice strawman, Benny.

****.... What a brain fart...Lost interest after reading Bayesian. :shock: :shock: :shock:

You battled on after "nice"?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

2018 AFL Ladder predictions

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

See? It's meaningless.

Nice strawman, Benny.

Not sure you understand what bayes theorem is. All bayes theorem does is allow you to modify the probabilities based on a priori knowledge.

Or in simple terms we can update our base assumptions by adding in things we know about the system we are modelling. You don’t have to know anything about the scoring, it’s irrelevant in this case, we are modelling team strength.

A base assumption might be that every team has an equal chance of winning the flag. But due to information we can gather - like recent results - we can update our estimates.

So in that case the fact that port hasn’t won any recent games against good opposition is absolutely relevant. With more recent results weighting more heavily than results further into the past.

Exactly how much we weight this information isn’t clear. But it certainly isn’t irrelevant
Last edited by bennymacca on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Why does everything need to transcend into a scientific/mathematical argument?

I would have said the last couple of years has little to do with this year because we've turned over 11 players in our squad, but that would be too simplistic. I think.

Have you got a couple of graphs and/or pie charts and a 30 page thesis to substantiate these claims? :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

See? It's meaningless.

Nice strawman, Benny.

Not sure you understand what bayes theorem is. All bayes theorem does is allow you to modify the probabilities based on a priori knowledge.

Or in simple terms we can update our base assumptions by adding in things we know about the system we are modelling. You don’t have to know anything about the scoring, it’s irrelevant in this case, we are modelling team strength.

A base assumption might be that every team has an equal chance of winning the flag. But due to information we can gather - like recent results - we can update our estimates.

So in that case the fact that port hasn’t won any recent games against good opposition is absolutely relevant. With more recent results weighting more heavily than results further into the past.

Exactly how much we weight this information isn’t clear. But it certainly isn’t irrelevant

Objection your honour!
Last edited by The Bedge on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Booney wrote:

By this theory are you going to stop mentioning how long it's been since Adelaide won a GF since it's irrelevant to this years competition? :lol: I didn't think so :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

See? It's meaningless.

You blokes need to take a stats course.[/quote]

you may need to take a stats course to learn about it[/quote]Nice strawman, Benny.

Otherwise, you can select and manipulate the data to say almost anything you like.[/quote]
****.... What a brain fart...Lost interest after reading Bayesian. :shock: :shock: :shock:[/quote]

You battled on after "nice"?[/quote]
I know what an achievement eh?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

MW wrote:By this theory are you going to stop mentioning how long it's been since Adelaide won a GF since it's irrelevant to this years competition? :lol: I didn't think so :lol:

*cough, cough* ahem.. hello..

champs.jpg
champs.jpg (284.13 KiB) Viewed 762 times
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL