Round 4 confabulation

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 4 confabulation

Postby MW » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Pretty sure Douglas and Gray didn't foresee a hit to the head too. Lecras didn't attempt to go for the ball.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 pm

MW wrote:Pretty sure Douglas and Gray didn't foresee a hit to the head too. Lecras didn't attempt to go for the ball.

As i said i haven t seen it, just relaying what Christian said
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MW » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm

yeah all good mate, just seems like they have changed their tune all of a sudden
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 pm

MW wrote:I just saw the footage of Lecras bump on Ainsworth which gave Ainsworth concussion. How TF did he get off that???

It looked like we were going to get some consistency from a one man "panel", forget that. Gray was suspended as he had options, Douglas too, either tackle the player or veer away from the contact, the AFL's defence stated.

I don't know about the rest of you but it looked to me as though Le Cras had the option here to tackle, he didn't, he chose to bump he got the player high and the consequence was Ainsworth left the field with concussion. No penalty.

Sandilands and Le Cras = Lucky
Gray and Douglas = Not so much

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-16/e ... mp-is-back
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:I just saw the footage of Lecras bump on Ainsworth which gave Ainsworth concussion. How TF did he get off that???

It looked like we were going to get some consistency from a one man "panel", forget that. Gray was suspended as he had options, Douglas too, either tackle the player or veer away from the contact, the AFL's defence stated.

I don't know about the rest of you but it looked to me as though Le Cras had the option here to tackle, he didn't, he chose to bump he got the player high and the consequence was Ainsworth left the field with concussion. No penalty.

Sandilands and Le Cras = Lucky
Gray and Douglas = Not so much

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-16/e ... mp-is-back

The difference being Lecras was an accidental head clash, Gray and Douglas was the shoulder collecting the player high, If thats the norm im happy with that
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm

So Gray and Douglas' wasn't accidental/reckless? If so they'd be graded as intentional and not reckless and be subjected to a higher penalty, you can't have it both ways.

I'm with you, the Le Cras bump shouldn't have been a game in isolation, but if the Douglas one was then so should the Le Cras one. Both chose to bump instead of tackle, in fact Le Cras worse as Ainsworth had clear possession of the ball unlike Merrett when Douglas was a fraction late to compete for the ball.

It's inconsistent, that's my gripe, I had hoped we would get more consistency.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Booney wrote:So Gray and Douglas' wasn't accidental/reckless? If so they'd be graded as intentional and not reckless and be subjected to a higher penalty, you can't have it both ways.

I'm with you, the Le Cras bump shouldn't have been a game in isolation, but if the Douglas one was then so should the Le Cras one. Both chose to bump instead of tackle, in fact Le Cras worse as Ainsworth had clear possession of the ball unlike Merrett when Douglas was a fraction late to compete for the ball.

Where do tnhe rules say you cant bump instead of tackle? I think that was a statement made by a MRP panel member in the past that seems to get trotted out alot these days by commentators and the like.
Unless they outlaw the bump its fair game imo.
No doubt its inconsistent, i think it always will be because the nature of the game no 2 incidents are identical.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:So Gray and Douglas' wasn't accidental/reckless? If so they'd be graded as intentional and not reckless and be subjected to a higher penalty, you can't have it both ways.

Where do tnhe rules say you cant bump instead of tackle? I think that was a statement made by a MRP panel member in the past that seems to get trotted out alot these days by commentators and the like.
Unless they outlaw the bump its fair game imo.
No doubt its inconsistent, i think it always will be because the nature of the game no 2 incidents are identical.

Michael Christian on the Gray bump :

"His eyes moved from the ball to McGovern and if he was genuinely contesting the ball, I would like to see his hands down contesting the ball rather than shaping to bump," Christian said.

"I think he had other alternatives rather than shaping to bump and bumping… the option was there to genuinely contest the ball and he elected not to.

"When you elect to bump you must do it fairly.

"And if you make contact with the head in a careless manner, then that is when there may well be a penalty forthcoming."

And there's your answer — if you brace for a bump, even in a split-second decision, and catch an opponent high, you will get a suspension.

The way Christian describes it makes it sound so black and white, but the instinct of many commentators and fans alike was that Gray was fairly contesting the ball, and ought to be cleared.

It's already been proven true :

That is, of course, assuming Christian does indeed maintain his consistency going forward. The true test will come when there is a Brownlow or a spot in the grand final on the line, and the pressure comes to overlook infractions for the perceived greater good.

It's not an easy job that Christian has embarked upon, and he is all but guaranteed to face more than his fair share of public criticism every Monday from now until September.

But the best thing he can do, whenever a case like this comes up, is pull out the footage of the Gray incident and refer to his very first judgement. As long as those same rules are applied for everyone, nobody will complain.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:45 pm

I think he said it wasnt careless and that Lecras took care in his bump. it was an unforseeable clash of heads that resulted in the concussion. Im happy with that interpretation.
IMO the 2 incidents are different
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I think he said it wasnt careless and that Lecras took care in his bump. it was an unforseeable clash of heads that resulted in the concussion. Im happy with that interpretation.
IMO the 2 incidents are different

Fair enough, take the vision out of the equation and the reasoning behind Douglas' suspension doesn't stack up, inconsistent.

Play on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL