State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:48 am

JK wrote:Accidentally caught about 10 minutes of Rowe and Bickley yesterday, who were discussing the punching in the game and specifically eradicating it. Rowe was adamant it needs to be driven by the AFLPA, and his reasoning was along the lines of "Who better to control the future direction of our game than those that play it" ... Get F***ed!!! Sick of the power players have these days. Those employed by the AFL (rules of the game committee) and the AFL Commission should be responsible for this, and the players play to the rules put before them. They have far too big a say for my liking and it seems thats only going to happen more and more.

Thankfully Bickley felt similarly.

I don't know why the rules need to be constantly changing in the first place.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:49 am

LMA wrote:The EPL has a true Home & Away competition, the AFL has a FIXture

And 4 of the biggest ( read richest ) clubs have won 24 of the last 26 titles.

(-|
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:50 am

mighty hounds wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:plenty of discussion in this thread from people who don't even watch the game

Maybe there is reason they don’t watch the Como anymore hence why they are posting in a state of the game thread. They would obviously have a very strong opinion on the state of the game.

How when they don't watch it?

Because they do, it seems.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:51 am

May not come to a surprise to a few. But the state of the game i pretty good in my opinion.... There has has been some ripper games this year (even a few with the "boring" swans playing ;) )... Every sport and every comp has plenty of average games. It's the nature of the best... The standard now is better than ever.... Watch games from the 60, 70's, 80's and shit even the 90's (good era of footy, but had some very average games in their) and they wouldn't match it with the players and teams of today...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:53 am

Booney wrote:

(-|

i find it hilarious when people tell me everyone should play each other twice. It's physically impossible... Sides could only something like a 4 week preseason :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am

Booney wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:plenty of discussion in this thread from people who don't even watch the game

Maybe there is reason they don’t watch the Como anymore hence why they are posting in a state of the game thread. They would obviously have a very strong opinion on the state of the game.

How when they don't watch it?

Because they do, it seems.

:lol:

Yeah, nah, the games great, can't get enough of it.

Compared to 2017, AFL TV ratings are falling even faster ... down 13.9 percent to the end of round 9,

People are dropping off. If you think there isn't a problem with the product the AFL put out, good for you. They're an entertainment business, and AFL isn't entertaining for me anymore.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:57 am

With regards to the AFLPA and player power...

Was watching 360 last night and they had a grab from an interview with Dangerfield regarding injuries etc. As head of the AFLPA he suggested that the comp be reduced to 17 games and game time to be 100 minutes (currently averages about 120 minutes)

Nick Reiwoldt said that the 17 game idea had merit but the reduced game time is not good, he liked the fact that players had to push themselves for that last 5 minutes each quarter to keep going... It showed desire and want.

I wonder if Danger would be happy to have his pay reduced by about 20% to match up with the reduced playing time?

I have dropped a day at work, I don't get paid for 5 days only 4, if they are doing 20% less work will they take the pay cut...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby JK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Media has too much influence these days. Even on 360 last night they mentioned the spate of injuries and whether we need to look at shortening the matches. Always so quick to react these days. They held a forum earlier this year on how the game is ruined based on about 8 rounds of football which was ridiculous. Now it's mostly forgotten because we've had plenty of cracking games since the bye rounds which was always going to be the case. I'm all for monitoring the state of the game, but some people seem to be ready to pull the trigger and change the game far too quickly.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:May not come to a surprise to a few. But the state of the game i pretty good in my opinion.... There has has been some ripper games this year (even a few with the "boring" swans playing ;) )... Every sport and every comp has plenty of average games. It's the nature of the best... The standard now is better than ever.... Watch games from the 60, 70's, 80's and shit even the 90's (good era of footy, but had some very average games in their) and they wouldn't match it with the players and teams of today...

The standard of the players isn't one of my problems with the sport.

The coverage is laughable. Worst sports coverage in the world. The commentators are trash. Egomaniacs that try to make it about themselves. Unless that's changed...let me know.

The constant f**king with rules that don't need to be touched, and the allowances in the umpires "interpretation" of rules make it very inconsistent, and frankly its aggravating for me to watch.

I have tried to sit down and watch some footy from time to time, but it's just too frustrating for me to sit through.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:04 pm

HH3 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:May not come to a surprise to a few. But the state of the game i pretty good in my opinion.... There has has been some ripper games this year (even a few with the "boring" swans playing ;) )... Every sport and every comp has plenty of average games. It's the nature of the best... The standard now is better than ever.... Watch games from the 60, 70's, 80's and shit even the 90's (good era of footy, but had some very average games in their) and they wouldn't match it with the players and teams of today...

The coverage is laughable. Worst sports coverage in the world. The commentators are trash. Egomaniacs that try to make it about themselves. Unless that's changed...let me know.

The constant f**king with rules that don't need to be touched, and the allowances in the umpires "interpretation" of rules make it very inconsistent, and frankly its aggravating for me to watch.

I have tried to sit down and watch some footy from time to time, but it's just too frustrating for me to sit through.

certainly won't disagree with any of the highlighted parts
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Jase wrote:With regards to the AFLPA and player power...

Was watching 360 last night and they had a grab from an interview with Dangerfield regarding injuries etc. As head of the AFLPA he suggested that the comp be reduced to 17 games and game time to be 100 minutes (currently averages about 120 minutes)

Nick Reiwoldt said that the 17 game idea had merit but the reduced game time is not good, he liked the fact that players had to push themselves for that last 5 minutes each quarter to keep going... It showed desire and want.

I wonder if Danger would be happy to have his pay reduced by about 20% to match up with the reduced playing time?

I have dropped a day at work, I don't get paid for 5 days only 4, if they are doing 20% less work will they take the pay cut...

I watched it too and agreed with what Riewoldt said, play everyone once during the season and then the next year play them at the opposing ground (home one year and away the next), he tends to think playing everyone once will make every game more relevant. Wheatley mentioned adding in an additional rivalry game to make it and 18 game season. If they were to make the season shorter (I'm sure the AFL would oppose as it would lose money) I don't think they need to make the games shorter. Good point about the pay cut due too the shorter playing time.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:12 pm

HH3 wrote:

I know, all the time outs just draaaaaaag it out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Jase wrote:With regards to the AFLPA and player power...

Its not only the players that would be doing 20% less work.

Everyone involved in every football department at every club, all umpires, match day officials, media presenters... the list goes on to almost everyone except the pure administrators at the club and league.

Not going to happen as no one will want to take less home across the industry.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:

I know, all the time outs just draaaaaaag it out.

Got no actual point about AFL so bring in a totally different sport.

:lol:

I actually like timeouts, and the strategy of their use.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

The AFL has hit 1,000,000 members across the clubs for the first time ever.

TV ratings are down because the idiots at 7 took a heap of Carlton games on Friday nights.

The best football is as good as it's ever been. Years ago we saw one game a week, usually the Match of the Round, then we got Friday nights, then we got Sunday and now all 9 games ( with Fox ) are live into your lounge room and FTA gives you 4 sometimes 5 games a week meaning you have more chances to see the crap games. There's always been crap games, there's always been good ones.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Booney wrote:The AFL has hit 1,000,000 members across the clubs for the first time ever.

TV ratings are down because the idiots at 7 took a heap of Carlton games on Friday nights.

The best football is as good as it's ever been. Years ago we saw one game a week, usually the Match of the Round, then we got Friday nights, then we got Sunday and now all 9 games ( with Fox ) are live into your lounge room and FTA gives you 4 sometimes 5 games a week meaning you have more chances to see the crap games. There's always been crap games, there's always been good ones.

K.

But, none of what you just talked about is why I don't watch it.

Why would I pay for Foxtel when I don't like what they put on Foxtel?

And with every game on TV, they have less viewership? Down 13% apparently.

I do purchase the MLB and NFL subscriptions each year. Because I like the product they put out.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm

I agree with not lessoning game time.

Having endurance is a key foundation of our unique game.

Playing each other once, have a rivalry round and throw in state of origin round.

The last one is a Pipedream I know but it would be great.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm

HH3 wrote:

So you don't think people who are so disillusioned by the AFL they gave up on it should let you know why?

Just take a stab in the dark, hey?

Maybe its the speed of the game? I know! Lets f**k with the rules to speed it up....

Oh shit...its too fast...

Let's slow it down.

Maybe they don't like the rules being enforced....?

I know!!! Lets not pay "holding the ball" anymore.

You'd rather be ignorant, which isn't surprising to be honest.

how would you even know how the game is played lately?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Can you read?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am

Booney wrote:

(-|

That has nothing to do with the fixture though
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL