State of the game

Talk on the national game

Re: State of the game

Postby LMA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:29 am

tigerpie wrote:I agree with not lessoning game time.

Having endurance is a key foundation of our unique game.

Playing each other once, have a rivalry round and throw in state of origin round.

The last one is a Pipedream I know but it would be great.

Forget SOO but the rest has merit, Gerard Whately mentioned this. If you play a team at home in one year you play them away the next.
Cut it back to a final five, 18 teams vying for 5 spots would encourage both good defense at the same time as attacking footy as percentage will be a major factor. No need to go to 666 format. Will never happen though, too much money to be lost by cutting down the season by 5 weeks
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 am

HH3 wrote:Compared to 2017, AFL TV ratings are falling even faster ... down 13.9 percent to the end of round 9,

People are dropping off. If you think there isn't a problem with the product the AFL put out, good for you. They're an entertainment business, and AFL isn't entertaining for me anymore.

I think this is my problem. If you change the rules, is it attracting people back to the game, or lessoning the likelihood of people leaving? Or, like me, will it turn people away because it's not the game I grew up loving?

The AFL need to consider - the rule changes coming in (whatever they are) will they attract new people to the game, or attract people that they'd previously lost to the game, back?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 am

gadj1976 wrote:
HH3 wrote:Compared to 2017, AFL TV ratings are falling even faster ... down 13.9 percent to the end of round 9,

People are dropping off. If you think there isn't a problem with the product the AFL put out, good for you. They're an entertainment business, and AFL isn't entertaining for me anymore.

I think this is my problem. If you change the rules, is it attracting people back to the game, or lessoning the likelihood of people leaving? Or, like me, will it turn people away because it's not the game I grew up loving?

The AFL need to consider - the rule changes coming in (whatever they are) will they attract new people to the game, or attract people that they'd previously lost to the game, back?

it seems the AFL (my opinion anyway) are catering to people who couldn't care less about the game, they think adding this and taking away that will attract people from overseas to love our game... Instead of focusing on what is so unique and great about our game... I love aussie rules and i see why people of gone off our great game...

I would like to see the AFL for at least 2 years not make any rules changes and take some of the rules which are redundant...

- No cap on interchange
- Nominating ruck men at stoppages (that's under 8's stuff)
- Ban all last touch rule from all the leagues around the country and make sure (in the words of Y2J) "it is NEVER EVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER spoke about again"...

just to name a couple
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Exactly.

They're alienating their fans in the pursuit of new fans.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:- Ban all last touch rule from all the leagues around the country and make sure (in the words of Y2J) "it is NEVER EVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER spoke about again"...

just to name a couple

Last touch rule works a treat IMO, thought it was stupid to being with, it's grown on me watching it in the SANFL juniors this season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:- Ban all last touch rule from all the leagues around the country and make sure (in the words of Y2J) "it is NEVER EVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER spoke about again"...

just to name a couple

Last touch rule works a treat IMO, thought it was stupid to being with, it's grown on me watching it in the SANFL juniors this season.

Same, has grown me once they ironed out some of the great areas
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL