AFL 2019 season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2019 and proposed rule changes

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:52 pm

The Bedge wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Wouldn't mind having a gallop out of the square without the worry of fumbling the kick :lol:

I did that this year against Pulteney - went to kick to myself quickly, kicked little higher than intended, wind took it, fumbled grabbing, by the time I regathered got smashed and done HTB :oops: :lol:

Not my finest moment haha!

Understandable that you were flustered after seeing their poor attempt at a BBQ! :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:49 pm

So we've gone from a bigger goal square to not needing one?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby prowling panther » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Booney wrote:So we've gone from a bigger goal square to not needing one?

What will the penalty be if the defender does not come back the required distance?

Talk about inventing grey areas into interpretations for umpires.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby DOC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

This is a big change, Can see this catching a few out early.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

DOC wrote:Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

Probably going to be the hardest one to get used to for all the match day staff.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LMA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:08 am

Getting rid of the hands in the back is a good one. I've called for that all along, now to get rid of the chop of the arms
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 am

DOC wrote:Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.

another dumb rule... FFS all except the hands in the back are totally unnecessary...

Just came of a ripper grand final and very close season in regard to the top 8, but hey lets justify their jobs by making rule changes... :roll:

If they bring in the last touch rule next, i think i'll be done
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

another dumb rule... FFS all except the hands in the back are totally unnecessary...

Just came of a ripper grand final and very close season in regard to the top 8, but hey lets justify their jobs by making rule changes... :roll:

Im not surprised by your attitude, you think kicking 8 goals and winning is perfect.
All the new interpretations are great, there is actually very little rule changes when you break it down.
You can not rely on the coaches to open the game up, next year the 1st half the season will be exactly the same as this year, coaches coaching to not lose.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 am

While I chuckle to myself at the fact we've had 9 rule changes, at least you can see what they are trying to achieve with most of them.
The one that surprises me is allowing the ruckman to take the ball out of the ruck again. This will lead to them being tackled immediately, and then a repeat ball up. It's a direct contradiction to the other rule tweaks designed to keep the game open and moving. I can't understand why this one has come in.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Spangas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:52 am

Trader wrote:While I chuckle to myself at the fact we've had 9 rule changes, at least you can see what they are trying to achieve with most of them.
The one that surprises me is allowing the ruckman to take the ball out of the ruck again. This will lead to them being tackled immediately, and then a repeat ball up. It's a direct contradiction to the other rule tweaks designed to keep the game open and moving. I can't understand why this one has come in.

As long as one player from each team nominates for the ruck contest by raising their non-dominant hand above head height, standing on one leg of their choice, while rubbing their belly in an anti-clockwise direction with their dominant hand, I have no problem with this rule.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am

Trader wrote:While I chuckle to myself at the fact we've had 9 rule changes, at least you can see what they are trying to achieve with most of them.

I'm sure this is a result of some teams (Richmond) deciding to not even contest some ruck contests. It gives the lone ruckman the option of taking possession without getting done for holding the ball. I agree it could lead to more congestion.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:22 am

daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Im not surprised by your attitude, you think kicking 8 goals and winning is perfect.
All the new interpretations are great, there is actually very little rule changes when you break it down.
You can not rely on the coaches to open the game up, next year the 1st half the season will be exactly the same as this year, coaches coaching to not lose.

Isn't that their job????
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am

Feel worry for the umpires in this, makes their job harder and they cop most of the anguish.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:27 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Isn't that their job????

Again you just dont get it, coaching to win is a massive difference to coaching to not lose. Feel sorry for the players if you end up with a coaching gig
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby beef » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 pm

There is a massive difference between coaching to win and coaching not to lose. End of the day it's all about winning, different clubs and coaches have different ways to win. Full time coaches, huge staffs and full time players will figure out the best way to win with their squad if it's pretty to watch or not. Players these days dont care about kicking goals or looking good, its been coached out of them now since u/15, all about your role and how hard you work, how much pressure you put on. Teams that do that best win.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:41 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Again you just dont get it, coaching to win is a massive difference to coaching to not lose. Feel sorry for the players if you end up with a coaching gig

Of course you coach to win and i see what you mean. There is no reason why you cant do both

My players are usually pretty happy. Mainly because they mostly win ;)
Last edited by woodublieve12 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:41 pm

beef wrote:There is a massive difference between coaching to win and coaching not to lose. End of the day it's all about winning, different clubs and coaches have different ways to win. Full time coaches, huge staffs and full time players will figure out the best way to win with their squad if it's pretty to watch or not. Players these days dont care about kicking goals or looking good, its been coached out of them now since u/15, all about your role and how hard you work, how much pressure you put on. Teams that do that best win.

yep
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 pm

LMA wrote:Getting rid of the hands in the back is a good one. I've called for that all along, now to get rid of the chop of the arms

Disagrre 100%
The hands in back rule has been one of the very few successful ones they bought in and now they're scrapping it.
It will now be back to the same as it was, confusion, anger and every shade of grey when it comes to interpreting was it just holding your ground, pushing, guy in front faking a lunge forward etc. It was such an effective and simple rule and now just goes back to mainly guesswork by the umps.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
LMA wrote:Getting rid of the hands in the back is a good one. I've called for that all along, now to get rid of the chop of the arms

Disagrre 100%
The hands in back rule has been one of the very few successful ones they bought in and now they're scrapping it.
It will now be back to the same as it was, confusion, anger and every shade of grey when it comes to interpreting was it just holding your ground, pushing, guy in front faking a lunge forward etc. It was such an effective and simple rule and now just goes back to mainly guesswork by the umps.

Agree

The AFL loves a grey area
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LMA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

whufc wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

Disagrre 100%

Agree

The AFL loves a grey area

Crap, the stronger players are being penalised far too often. To even it up for the defender get rid of the chop of the arms, let's promote strong hands again, nothing better than seeing a forward running full tilt taking a mark with out stretched hands. Chest marks are for wet games and scaredies scared of bending their fingers back
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL