Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Darren Cahill has joined the Port Adelaide Football Club Board of Directors effective immediately.

Cahill joins the club following an illustrious career in professional tennis where he won 15 career titles as a player and coached Andre Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt and most recently Simona Halep all to be World number one players respectively.

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch says he is delighted that Cahill has accepted his invitation to join the club’s Board of Directors.

“On behalf of the Board and the entire club, we are thrilled to have Darren join Port Adelaide in this official capacity,” Mr Koch said.

“To be honest, I’ve been interested in Darren joining our Board for some time and we’ve both agreed that now is the perfect time.

“To have someone with Darren’s resume in professional world sport joining our Board, particularly from a high-performance and athletic development perspective, is a massive coup for our club.

“And of course, we all know the passion that Darren has for Port Adelaide having grown up here at the club and most recently as an official club ambassador.

“I stated at the conclusion of the season that we would make changes across the entire club as we seek continuous improvement. Adding Darren to our Board is another one of those significant changes.”

Cahill echoed Mr Koch’s comments that the timing to officially join the club was right.

“I have been close to David Koch for some time and now feels like the right time to take on this challenge at the club that I love,” Cahill said.

“I feel I can add great value to the club’s Board and I can’t wait to start getting involved. I have no doubt the club is heading in the right direction both on and off the field, and to be involved in this capacity is very exciting.
“I grew up loving this club and although I’ve been away for many years on the other side of the world I have always followed the club’s progress with great interest.
“I’ve been fortunate enough to have been a club ambassador over recent years and worked on some club projects which has kept me connected with the club. I’m looking forward now to assisting David and his Board taking this great club forward over the next period of time in a more official capacity.”

Cahill’s career in professional tennis has spanned the last four decades.

He started his professional playing career in 1984 winning two singles titles and 13 doubles titles before his retirement in 1995. Cahill also represented Australia at Davis Cup and was part of the team that qualified for the final in 1990.

Following his retirement as a player, Cahill became a professional tennis coach, most recently guiding Halep to the French Open singles title in May.

Last month Cahill received the prestigious Coaching Excellence award at the Australian Tennis Awards.

He is also involved with PlaySight Interactive where he heads up PlaySight’s Coaching and Player Development team, assisting the company to bring its technology to more tennis coaches and players around the world.

From a media perspective, Cahill is a tennis commentator and analyst for US sports broadcasting giant ESPN.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby DOC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 pm

A replacement or an extra?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Added on, I believe.

Koch - Chairman
Osborn - Deputy Chairman

Directors :
Cos Cardone
George Fiacchi
Ross Haslam
Holly Ranson
Jamie Restas
Trevor Thiele
Amanda Vanstone
Darren Cahill
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

THE new Dock One development by award-winning STARFISH Developments has joined the Port Adelaide Football Club as a Premier Partner for the next two seasons.

The imminent master-planned community will feature 750 homes, a dockside piazza and boardwalk.

Dock One is set to launch early in 2019 and will continue the rejuvenation of the Port, incorporating the former Department of Marine and Harbour Building and old Customs House, which will become the new development’s sales centre.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said the club was thrilled to partner with Dock One for at least the next two seasons.

“The Port Adelaide Football club is honoured to partner with Dock One to jointly promote the growth of Port Adelaide’s heartland,” Mr Thomas said.

“To partner with a like-minded organisation such as Starfish who is ambitious and enthusiastic about the redevelopment of the Port Adelaide district, is something we are very excited about.

“We have always maintained that for every step we take on a global stage, we are committed to doubling down in our heartland, and as the epicentre of the area, our club will complement Starfish’s strategy.”

Starfish Developments’ Managing Director Damon Nagel said the Dock One partnership with Port Adelaide was equally exciting for his organisation.

“The Starfish ethos of ‘Winning Together’ is a good natural fit with the Port Adelaide Football Club. With a strong focus on teamwork to achieve goals, we share a belief in the potential and rejuvenation of the Port and look forward to investing in the community through our Dock One development,” Mr Nagel said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 am

TEAM EXPLAINED: It's a new-look Port team after the departures of Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Jack Hombsch and Jasper Pittard in the NAB AFL Trade Period. Port will be one of the rare teams to field two genuine ruckmen in 2019, with free agency acquisition Scott Lycett and Paddy Ryder both effective targets when resting in . Former Hawk Ryan Burton slots straight in on a half-back flank, although the stiff competition for spots in Port's backline means there's no room for ex-Lion Sam Mayes, Jarrod Lienert and Matthew Broadbent, who will likely start 2019 in the SANFL after missing all of last season with an ankle injury. Hamish Hartlett, however, is on track to return from a knee construction, while last year's No.5 draft pick, Connor Rozee, is simply too talented to leave out. After his strong finish to 2018, Kane Farrell is an unlucky omission.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: Justin Westhoff's ability to push up the ground means Port can afford to field an extra tall forward alongside Charlie Dixon and its resting ruckman, with talented youngster Todd Marshall and former Demon Jack Watts the obvious options. We have opted for Marshall, who is held in high regard at Alberton and has made an impressive start to the pre-season. Watts played 19 games in his first season with the Power this but needs to show signs this summer that he's finally ready to deliver on a consistent basis. - Nick Bowen

B: Dougal Howard, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston
HB: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Jonas, Ryan Burton
C: Sam Gray, Ollie Wines, Steven Motlop,
HF: Travis Boak, Justin Westhoff, Robbie Gray
F: Scott Lycett, Charlie Dixon, Connor Rozee
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Sam Powell-Pepper, Brad Ebert
I/C: Tom Rockliff, Todd Marshall, Riley Bonner, Hamish Hartlett

Defender depth: Matthew Broadbent, Xavier Duursma, Riley Grundy, Jarrod Lienert, Sam Mayes, Trent McKenzie

Forward depth: Tobin Cox, Kane Farrell, Aidyn Johnson, Jack Watts, Boyd Woodcock

Midfield depth: Karl Amon, Joe Atley, Zak Butters, Willem Drew, Joel Garner, Cameron Hewett, Jake Patmore, Jack Trengove
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 pm

I'd like to see Farrell somehow squeeze in, and Lienert potentially a wing option?

Where did Sam Gray play last season - is he a capable wingman?

Could Burton play the wing and Hartlett or Lienert HBF?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:26 pm

The Bedge wrote:I'd like to see Farrell somehow squeeze in, and Lienert potentially a wing option?

I thought Lienert done alright when given a go.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm

The Bedge wrote:I'd like to see Farrell somehow squeeze in, and Lienert potentially a wing option?

I'd swap Farrell for Sam Gray in that line up, Rozee up to the HFF and R.Gray closer to goal, other than that I think he's got it about right.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I thought Lienert done alright when given a go.

Agreed, but Burton gets picked ahead of him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Agreed, but Burton gets picked ahead of him.

Shit yeah, got a half decent spread across the board with a little bit of security, just gotta not flog Paddy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:57 am

Port Adelaide has signed a five-year partnership with the Jincheng Holding Group, a real estate, health and education group headquartered in China’s Zhejiang Province.

Jincheng Group also owns Entel Education Group, which consists of several schools and kindergartens who educate more than six thousand students across China.

Port Adelaide’s partnership with Jincheng will see both organisations working together to deliver significant educational outcomes for Chinese students here in Australia.

Power Footy, a program that includes weekly football lessons and digital materials produced by Port Adelaide regarding the unique aspects of Australian culture, is already being delivered to high school students that attend schools owned by Jincheng Group to prepare those students for life in Australia.

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas says the partnership maintains the club’s successful, non-traditional engagement with key Chinese stakeholders.

“This agreement with Jincheng is not a standard sport sponsorship, but it does reflect Port Adelaide’s desire to always search for meaningful ways to maximise the club’s ability to encourage positive community outcomes,” Mr Thomas said.

“International education is vitally important to the Australian economy. By helping international students to successfully transition into life in Australia, we believe they will enjoy their study experience more. By helping to provide meaningful social connection through football and broader community activities, we believe these students will become long term advocates for Port Adelaide and South Australia.”

Mr Thomas explained that there is often great pressure on international students coming to Australia and they can feel “lonely and isolated”.

“Our China-based Power Footy program helps prepare these students for their transition to Australia, and support them once they arrive,” he said.

“This is an important piece in Port Adelaide’s aspiration to align its engagement with China with international education. Sport is an important aspect of a young person’s life, and can have positive social, health, and educational outcomes.

“We aspire to be involved in the full cycle of Chinese students in Adelaide, helping them prepare for life in Australia prior to arrival, providing social and work experience opportunities whilst studying in Australia, and maintaining the connection with alumni after they graduate. We want these students to have a life-long relationship with Port Adelaide.”

The Jincheng Group, who has annual group turnover of AUD$2.4 billion and group assets of AUD$4 billion, has more than 5000 employees across China.

Jincheng Group Chairman Mr Wu Wanglou said he was equally delighted to partner Port Adelaide.

“When I visited Australia in August, I was deeply impressed by Port Adelaide Football Club and imagined the potential of working with them to provide a unique opportunity for our students,” Mr Wu said.

“The idea of providing programs to prepare our students for life in another country, services that enhance their experience as international students in an elite Australian university, and internships and job opportunities after graduation, is a compelling proposition.”

Port Adelaide will make further announcements about this partnership in the new year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby beef » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:28 am

Booney wrote:TEAM EXPLAINED: It's a new-look Port team after the departures of Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Jack Hombsch and Jasper Pittard in the NAB AFL Trade Period. Port will be one of the rare teams to field two genuine ruckmen in 2019, with free agency acquisition Scott Lycett and Paddy Ryder both effective targets when resting in . Former Hawk Ryan Burton slots straight in on a half-back flank, although the stiff competition for spots in Port's backline means there's no room for ex-Lion Sam Mayes, Jarrod Lienert and Matthew Broadbent, who will likely start 2019 in the SANFL after missing all of last season with an ankle injury. Hamish Hartlett, however, is on track to return from a knee construction, while last year's No.5 draft pick, Connor Rozee, is simply too talented to leave out. After his strong finish to 2018, Kane Farrell is an unlucky omission.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: Justin Westhoff's ability to push up the ground means Port can afford to field an extra tall forward alongside Charlie Dixon and its resting ruckman, with talented youngster Todd Marshall and former Demon Jack Watts the obvious options. We have opted for Marshall, who is held in high regard at Alberton and has made an impressive start to the pre-season. Watts played 19 games in his first season with the Power this but needs to show signs this summer that he's finally ready to deliver on a consistent basis. - Nick Bowen

B: Dougal Howard, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston
HB: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Jonas, Ryan Burton
C: Sam Gray, Ollie Wines, Steven Motlop,
HF: Travis Boak, Justin Westhoff, Robbie Gray
F: Scott Lycett, Charlie Dixon, Connor Rozee
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Sam Powell-Pepper, Brad Ebert
I/C: Tom Rockliff, Todd Marshall, Riley Bonner, Hamish Hartlett

Defender depth: Matthew Broadbent, Xavier Duursma, Riley Grundy, Jarrod Lienert, Sam Mayes, Trent McKenzie

Forward depth: Tobin Cox, Kane Farrell, Aidyn Johnson, Jack Watts, Boyd Woodcock

Midfield depth: Karl Amon, Joe Atley, Zak Butters, Willem Drew, Joel Garner, Cameron Hewett, Jake Patmore, Jack Trengove

Midfield seems an issue for me. Looks slow, Think Amon may play
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:37 am

Agreed, I think Farrell plays more time on the wing, Houston may move into the midfield when Hartlett returns ( or Burton ) and can see Rozee and Butters in the mix to play through the middle.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I think Garner and Marshall will work well together, I've been Holding out for that union, thought they may have chased Ambrose from the Bombers too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think Garner and Marshall will work well together, I've been Holding out for that union, thought they may have chased Ambrose from the Bombers too.

Too bad Walsh went at No 1.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby GWW » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think Garner and Marshall will work well together, I've been Holding out for that union, thought they may have chased Ambrose from the Bombers too.

We should have recruited Hall from the Gold Coast.

Too bad ex Norwood/Collingwood player Stephen Patterson is busy with his political career.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 am

Richards from Sydney would have slotted into the middle nicely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:43 am

Booney wrote:Richards from Sydney would have slotted into the middle nicely.

If he brought LLoyd across with him, I think Haynes could be on the move.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:52 am

Derek Murray would have been handy behind the stumps
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times