Hawthorn

Talk on the national game

Re: Hawthorn

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:01 am

Dutchy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Clarko has released a statement and interestingly has advised he has not been interviewed as part of the investigation, WTF? Surely you get both sides of the story to be able to come to some conclusions?

No doubt he would've said "no comment" or refused to comment or refused to return a call anyway, so I see no issue with this.

They were running an investigation into the club during his time as the Head Coach, wouldn't you be talking him about this?

No need to.

Clarkson & Fagan + all the others should be muted, hanged, drawn & quartered immediately.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:17 am

Dutchy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Clarko has released a statement and interestingly has advised he has not been interviewed as part of the investigation, WTF? Surely you get both sides of the story to be able to come to some conclusions?

No doubt he would've said "no comment" or refused to comment or refused to return a call anyway, so I see no issue with this.

They were running an investigation into the club during his time as the Head Coach, wouldn't you be talking him about this?

Probably, but who knows if they reached out or not? Doesn't matter, they'll deny it and get smacked on the wrist with a wet lettuce.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:36 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Probably, but who knows if they reached out or not? Doesn't matter, they'll deny it and get smacked on the wrist with a wet lettuce.

That’s where the AFL are in a lose/lose situation.

If it’s true it’s tragic and heads will roll and the AFL will probably need to look into all clubs

If it’s ‘not true’ thousands wills claim the AFL have covered it up etc etc

They’re pretty doomed either way
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tigerpie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:34 pm

They're allegations at this point so I'm not hanging anyone just yet.
2 sides to every story.
I just can't see Clarko demanding someone have an abortion or even being privvy to it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby MW » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Rare for a journo to go this hard without it being true.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby locky801 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:03 pm

tigerpie wrote:They're allegations at this point so I'm not hanging anyone just yet.
2 sides to every story.
I just can't see Clarko demanding someone have an abortion or even being privvy to it.

or Chris Fagan for that matter :shock:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3699 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:17 pm

MW wrote:Rare for a journo to go this hard without it being true.

Still:
1. a journo
2. with one side of the story

Journos are as trustworthy as politicians
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby MW » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:23 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
MW wrote:Rare for a journo to go this hard without it being true.

Still:
1. a journo
2. with one side of the story

Journos are as trustworthy as politicians

A journo with multiple sides of multiple stories.
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:40 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

It wasn't really an investigation. Hawthorn were conducting welfare checks on all of its Indigenous players in response the what came out of Collingwood's Do Better report. So, the initial part of the process doesn't involve getting both sides of the story. That will come.

Yeah I read that this morning so I stand corrected
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:42 pm

tigerpie wrote:They're allegations at this point so I'm not hanging anyone just yet.
2 sides to every story.

The strangest part of all this is that to a lot of young kids starting a family actually straightens them up and gives them purpose in life to put everything they can into their profession.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:30 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

From reading recent media reports, indeed he did reach out.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:37 am

Seems like other Hawthorn staffers are backing up the claims...this is going to get very messy
MW
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:40 am

Anyone seen or heard from Jeff Kennett..... does he still own a sh&^load of golliwogs
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:42 am

Anyone remember how long Hawthorn went without an indigenous player at the club?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:43 am

Dinglinga75 wrote:Anyone seen or heard from Jeff Kennett..... does he still own a sh&^load of golliwogs
He is on holidays at his Alabama plantation
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:43 am

Booney wrote:Anyone remember how long Hawthorn went without an indigenous player at the club?
And THOSE banners
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pm

Booney wrote:Anyone remember how long Hawthorn went without an indigenous player at the club?

1964-99

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:07 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:05 pm

MW wrote:Seems like other Hawthorn staffers are backing up the claims...this is going to get very messy
Yeah I saw that report as well. At least 1 staffer was apart of the initial report which back the events describe.

Still we want to hear all sides, however this is going to be very messy.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Better get a lawyer son…..

Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Mark Evans were accused by a fellow Hawthorn coach of running the football department like the “Russian Mafia’’, the club’s review of its handling of Indigenous players reveals.
Two pregnant partners of players lost their unborn children during the “traumatic events’’, the explosive Hawthorn-commissioned report also noted. 2

The report further concluded that between 2010 and 2016, coaches Clarkson, Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation’’ against Indigenous players and their partners, with the incidents so serious as to “amount to human rights abuses’’.

The Herald Sun has exclusively obtained the full report titled Cultural Safety Review: Of Past and Present Indigenous Players and Staff of the Hawthorn Football Club.

Clarkson, who was appointed North Melbourne coach in August, has categorically denied any wrongdoing.

On Tuesday, Brisbane coach Fagan said: “I confirm, as I said in my earlier statement, that I deny, categorically, the allegations of wrongdoing by me in relation to First Nations players at the Hawthorn Football Club, and that I intend to defend myself.’’

It is not possible for the Herald Sun to independently verify the claims or assertions made in the report and the paper does not suggest they are completely true and accurate, only that they have been made and are being investigated by various bodies.

The report asserted that the alleged treatment at the club of First Nations players involved “bullying and intimidation tactics … to be used to isolate First Nations players from their families and communities”.

These “aggressive intimidatory actions were undertaken by the most senior of the coaching and management hierarchy’’, wrote the review’s authors, led by project manager Phil Egan.

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said.

The review includes several pages of harrowing testimony from three partners of players and another player.

As was revealed last week, one testimony claimed Clarkson told a player he should terminate their unborn child.

The report asserts that “partners of players who have tabled the serious allegations were in the early stages of pregnancy, with two mothers losing their unborn child during these traumatic events’’.

Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan. Picture: AFL Media

Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan. Picture: AFL Media
The testimony of one partner said: “For three grown men (Clarkson, Fagan and Burt) to have walked into my house with no warning, and intimidate, trap and bully me full well knowing I’m carrying a child is just by no means acceptable.

“I was in complete agony after they left, I felt like my world had just come crashing down.

“If anything was to happen to this baby I would have no choice but to hold the Hawthorn Football Club and those three as individuals responsible and it is the last thing on earth I’d ever want to do.’’

A player told the authors: “My partner and daughter were then not allowed to fly over to Melbourne to come and see me until my daughter was four months old, as the club had told my partner and myself that they would be a distraction to my football career.

“When I was delisted, all my past trauma resurfaced, and I have been extremely unwell since. I am now deemed disabled, and I am on disability support pension, and I am also awaiting NDIS funding for a full time support worker to work with me 7 days a week.

“I have had multiple suicide attempts, multiple stays in the mental health unit at the hospital … the trauma that I deal with every day is because of the way the Club treated myself and my family.’’

Another testimony described a Clarkson visit to their home. “Alister (sic) Clarkson came over to visit us one night. I remember his comments as soon as he entered the house because I was so shocked. Clarko – “Oh (player’s name) this house is nice, you have the kids artwork up and it’s nice and clean. You should invite your teammates over for dinner and things. For all they know you’re living in a shack in the desert somewhere”.

‘’I was insulted straight away. It was clear that this Hawthorn official had a view on how Aboriginal people live and he wasn’t shy in voicing it.’’

Burt issued a statement to the Herald Sun on Tuesday evening.

“I wish to categorically deny the conduct attributed to me in the media. It is difficult to comment more fully in circumstances where I have never seen the report despite my lawyer asking the Hawthorn Football Club and the AFL for a copy,” he said.

“I am aggrieved Hawthorn saw fit to commission the report but did not give me the opportunity to respond to the allegations before the report was finalised and provided to the AFL.

“In my time at Hawthorn, the welfare of all players, including first nation players, was always my primary concern. A number of the first nation players lived in my home with my wife and children.

“It is my hope that the investigation to be conducted by the AFL is both fair and transparent, and that I will be given the opportunity to both give my account and test the accounts of those who have apparently made allegations against me.”

Evans wascontacted for comment, but did not respond before publication.
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL