Hawthorn

Talk on the national game

Re: Hawthorn

Postby Corona Man » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:27 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Well at least we are showing some fight. Long winter ahead.

More impressed it was Butler, he looks to have put some reasonable size on.

I’m more than happy if Sicily takes on the captaincy. I reckon he has matured (despite this BS) and will do a good job.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:31 am

Booney wrote:It's just stupid to make these sorts of claims....

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/08/ ... emiership/

Hawthorn president-elect Peter Nankivell has declared the club has lofty goals for the future in terms of premiership success.

“I think 2023 is ambitious, but in terms of our objective as a football club and our global goal and what we’re challenging ourselves to do is remain a very successful club,” he told SEN’s Whateley.

“The Hawthorn Football Club is used to that success, it’s in our DNA, it’s winning premierships is what we’re about.

So we’ve set ourselves a target of winning another seven premierships by 2050, and I think that with Sam coming on board and coaching this year I think the football public has the opportunity to take notice and see what Sam is capable of doing.

“The fact we’ve got a very young list, playing more players under 23 than any other team, an age-appropriate leadership group of more senior players (with James) Sicily, (James) Worpel, (Blake) Hardwick, (Karl) Amon, we’re putting together a team that will not only play finals but wins finals.”

However, Nankivell also refused to put a timeline on when the club aimed to return as an on-field force.

“We at this stage are seeing success each week when we go out on the park and go out on the ground and we judge ourselves by those successes we see,” he added.

Question, why 7?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby RB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:46 am

Probably because that would make it 20 VFL/AFL premierships.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Arch44 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:02 pm

Sicily named Captain
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby mal » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:15 pm

2023 might be a long unsuccessful season
Off loading Smith- Gunston-Mitchell in recent seasons robs them of experienced talent

Have to rebuild which is most prob the way to go now
So far in 2023 they have been excellent footy in parts of matches
I reckons with good draft picks, by about 2025 season they can be a finals participant again
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:33 pm

mal wrote:2023 might be a long unsuccessful season
Off loading Smith- Gunston-Mitchell in recent seasons robs them of experienced talent

Have to rebuild which is most prob the way to go now
So far in 2023 they have been excellent footy in parts of matches
I reckons with good draft picks, by about 2025 season they can be a finals participant again

I've said to a mate of mine, they did this before the GWS/Gold Coast inclusion into the AFL and in 2015 they won a premiership ahead of time. I don't have a problem with what they've done, it's just getting the draft picks right and making the right trades in the next few years that will decide if its the right decision. The issue is, do they have the right coach, cattle and people to make those decisions in place now?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun May 21, 2023 8:28 am

The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun May 21, 2023 8:35 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... fa0651d881

As the AFL tries to stop the Hawthorn racism probe spiralling out of control, Michael Warner explains why Alastair Clarkson and his co-accused will be cleared of wrongdoing

Alastair Clarkson can be fierce, even brutal. He has a temper like a volcano.

But for those on the inside of the Hawthorn investigation, it’s been obvious for months that the AFL’s independent panel could not reasonably find him guilty of systemic racism.

Indeed, a view of many with intimate knowledge of the case against Clarkson is that good faith acts involving indigenous players he coached at the Hawks have been unfairly mischaracterised as racist.

“Did he regularly treat indigenous players differently or unfavourably? Absolutely not,” one insider said.

“Perhaps there was no special or nuanced treatment of slightly vulnerable First Nations players — it was just hard-arsed Alastair Clarkson who was trying to get results – but he applied the same standards to all of his players.”

Much of the white-hot anger in this eight-month debacle is directed at the ABC, which dropped the untested Hawthorn story like a nuclear bomb in Grand Final week last year.

In the eyes of some, Clarkson and his two co-accused are sitting on the defamation case of the century.

They have until September 21 to lodge such an action, but in the year of the Voice and an increasingly woke world, it’s not as straightforward as that.

The AFL has stepped in to take charge of the scandal and is working overtime to find a balance between a strictly legal outcome and one that allows all parties to feel like they can move on.

But it’s an intervention that raises a whole series of new questions about the AFL probe, such as: Who and on what basis has decided that there is no case to answer? Where is the independent panel’s final report? Did the panel decide this or did the AFL decide?

And does this mean that the AFL does not believe the First Nations complaints?

Among the mountains of material at the centre of the probe is an interview the AFL panel conducted with retired Hawthorn indigenous great Shaun Burgoyne.

Those who have listened to a recording of the chat say it is a powerful endorsement of his old coach and club in the period under question.

But it’s the role played by former Richmond player and indigenous consultant Phil Egan, the author of the explosive racism report at the centre of the scandal, that most intrigues.

Egan himself is the subject of a Victoria Police fraud investigation and remains a support person for indigenous families involved in the case.

Egan’s past association with one of the four AFL panellists has been another point of contention, but was ultimately not considered a disqualifying factor.

Incredibly, Clarkson, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan and former Hawks staffer Jason Burt have not been required to file a single document since the AFL probe began.

The worst of the allegations levelled against Clarkson – claims that he pressured one couple to terminate a pregnancy for the sake of the player’s career – have not been considered by the panel. That family declined to take part and is exploring civil actions that could yet reignite the scandal.

A sixth family – represented by lawyer Judith Courtin – is also eyeing the courts.

“Our clients from the very beginning didn’t trust the AFL and they realised and thought then it would just be a whitewash and it is certainly turning out to be something like that at this stage,” Courtin declared on Friday.

But in terms of the AFL and the four families taking part in its process, the aim now is to bring a swift end to the proceedings – a plan that could involve big bags of money without any adverse findings against Clarkson, Fagan and Burt. It’s a tough sell.

Some have privately questioned whether Clarkson’s decision to take indefinite leave was tactical, but his struggle is real.

Clarkson is angry at the process and Hawthorn yet the Hawks did the right thing by commissioning a review after four-time premiership star Cyril Rioli spoke up in April last year about past claims of racism at the club.

The error may have been that not enough homework was done on Egan.

But it was the devastating, and perfectly timed, leak of his report last September that triggered this crisis.

The AFL is not without significant blame. Within hours of the ABC story it announced the establishment of the independent four-person panel instead of private arbitration overseen by a retired, eminent judge.

“They chose the wrong model,” one legal figure said.

“It was the sliding doors moment – a massive error of judgment that has prolonged the misery for all.”

Gillon McLachlan, footy’s master deal maker, has been here before a decade ago when the Essendon drugs saga spiralled out of control, but maybe not even he can fix this fiasco.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Sun May 21, 2023 11:38 am

Ambulance chasers camping at Adelaide Airport I bet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed May 24, 2023 3:41 pm

CEO Justin Reeves has resigned from his position.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby RB » Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 pm

The Hawthorn investigation has wound up.

'The AFL said the First Nations players and families involved in the probe had reached an agreement and "wish to resolve all differences with the AFL".

As a result, the investigation has wound up with no charges brought against any person.'

No adverse findings against anyone.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-30/ ... /102413056
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue May 30, 2023 9:49 pm

RB wrote:The Hawthorn investigation has wound up.

'The AFL said the First Nations players and families involved in the probe had reached an agreement and "wish to resolve all differences with the AFL".

As a result, the investigation has wound up with no charges brought against any person.'

I wonder what agreement was reached?

Seems absurd it went this long with no charges brought against anyone
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2520 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:06 pm

RB wrote:The Hawthorn investigation has wound up.

The independent investigation has been terminated, but that will not prevent the AFL from bringing any future charge under AFL rules against Hawthorn for its conduct in the commissioning of the original report.

The 4 complainants plan to pursue case against the coaches and the Hawks through the courts and the Human rights commission.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Sharksta » Tue May 30, 2023 11:15 pm

Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby MW » Wed May 31, 2023 9:40 am

I need someone to explain this one to me...

Coaches no case to answer
Players accusations are false? or misleading? or mis-reported?
BUT Hawthorn open to sanctions for bringing game into disrepute for investigating the claims?

i don't get any of it...Someone is guilty of something here if its racism, lying or both.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 31, 2023 9:43 am

MW wrote:I need someone to explain this one to me...

BUT Hawthorn open to sanctions for bringing game into disrepute for investigating the claims?

i don't get any of it...Someone is guilty of something here if its racism, lying or both.

X2
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Wed May 31, 2023 9:46 am

The Hawthorn sanctions will be for leaking this out, they needed to keep this behind closed doors and their actions will result in the defamation against them and the AFL I think.

As for the truth or otherwise of the allegations, that too will come out in the defamation cases I think.

There's no way Clarkson, Fagan and Burt just forget this ever happened. No chance.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed May 31, 2023 9:47 am

Booney wrote:

The Hawthorn sanctions will be for leaking this out, they needed to keep this behind closed doors and their actions will result in the defamation against them and the AFL I think.

As for the truth or otherwise of the allegations, that too will come out in the defamation cases I think.

There's no way Clarkson, Fagan and Burt just forget this ever happened. No chance.

Hawthorn leaked it as well? I thought it was triggered by the former players going to the media.
You suggesting Clarko, Fagan and Burt still have a case to answer civilly?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 31, 2023 10:01 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Hawthorn leaked it as well? I thought it was triggered by the former players going to the media.

I think it's been alluded too that Hawthorn leaked the information out.

No, the opposite, they'll be seeking compensation for the damage caused to their reputation.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:10 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

I think it's been alluded too that Hawthorn leaked the information out.

No, the opposite, they'll be seeking compensation for the damage caused to their reputation.

They may well seek compensation but I dare say this isn’t over by a long shot.
Hawks will get some sort of sanction for their handling of it and the indigenous families will take this to the courts.
If they take this to the HRC then Clarko, Fagan and Burt will be forced to attend mediation and they could still be punished.

Don’t forget that neither Dr Courtin’s nor Marque’s clients participated in the AFL investigation and they are currently weighing up civil litigation claims.

This is going to drag on for some time
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL