Round 1 - The new, the old and the who?

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 1 - The new, the old and the who?

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 am

Even the true believers would have found it difficult to believe Port Adelaide would start the season with a solid win over one of 2019’s premiership fancies but that’s exactly what we did at a balmy MCG on Saturday afternoon.

It wasn’t all perfect, well, all but 10 minutes of the game was on Port’s terms but the first 10 minutes had disaster written all over it. 3 goals to a point within 15 minutes, 13 I50’s to 4, the likes of Brayshaw, Oliver, Fritsch and Salem winning the ball at ease, McDonald clunks one over Watts and goals, all three Melbourne goals coming from intercepts across Port’s half forward line as 4 chains from Port’s defence broke down one after another. “We need the next one” I sent to a mate. We got it, a wobbler from near the boundary to Boak and another to Marshall and at ¼ time the 11 point margin flattered Port, but some signs we there.

Lycett was basically beating Gawn up, Jonas and Clurey were getting the zone set up behind the ball and Port gained repeat entries once the zone locked down. Say what you like about Hinkley, his defensive zone has worked for 3 years, it’s all been about the transition forward and on Saturday that started to click. With no Dixon in the side Port’s forward movement is less predictable, a stat last year had Dixon as the second most aimed at target inside 50 behind only Lance Franklin, that’s far too predictable.

In the 2nd quarter we saw what the future holds for Port Adelaide as well as some of the best from the older bunch. Westhoff marks and goals, Butters gets fed one from a boundary throw in from Drew, Butters finds a second 6 minutes later and fellow debutante Duursma goals soon after to give Port 8 scoring shots to 4 for the quarter and momentum is now with the Power. Jonas has Weidemann covered, Clurey has McDonald up at half back looking for the ball and Burton, Houston, Watts and the Pig (Rockliff, for the uninitiated) are controlling half back.

Rockliff has not only hit season 2019 in better shape but the role he plays has changed somewhat. Moving across the defensive side of contests he’s setting play up from the back half with precise ball movement (transition, noted above) and choosing the “lane” Port take down the field.

With his role changing so too has Travis Boak’s, back playing purely as a midfielder after getting lost at half forward last year Boak’s leg speed and durability suit the midfield role Rockliff paddled along in last year, this has seen Brad Ebert go forward and all 3 look like they’re not only enjoying the change but it’s the right thing for the side. Ebert has always been an aerobic beast, his move forward allowed him to play 100% game time on the weekend and that allows the midfield to rotate in and out of the centre as he pinch hits in there.

In the 3rd a quick goal to Westhoff had Port 9 points up and on top before Melbourne bounced back in to the match with goals to Jones, Melksham and Weideman and most would have said Port had given their last yelp, not so, from here on Port Adelaide kick 5.7 to Melbourne’s 0.0, the Dees last score a point to Petracca at the 24 minute mark of the third. It was a powerful display from here.

Gray was starting to weave some magic in his 200th and duck and weave in and out of traffic may have been one of his great goals bar the left foot snap sailing wide, Rockliff chalked up 16 3rd quarter touches, Port had 17-8 I50’s for the quarter and had 25 more uncontested possessions along with 11 more uncontested marks. Jack Watts had a couple of personal highlights, winning a 1 on 3 contest at half back before delivering to Duursma in the corridor, who transitioned the ball forward through Bonner and Drew for Eberts 2nd mark inside 50 and a major.

Save for some less than ideal finishing inside 50 the last quarter may have been a blow out. Keeping Melbourne scoreless for the quarter while kicking 2.6 the margin could have been much greater than the final 26 point margin. Westhoff bagged two more major to finish with 5 for the day, Boak ( who attended 14 centre bounces for the game, he attended 48 for the year last year ) launched two attacks that resulted in goals.

While I’ve covered how well Port were offensively on the weekend it all stemmed from the defensive zone creating repeat forward 50 entries and much of that was from co-captain Tom Jonas marshalling the troops behind the ball. The likes of Burton, Houston, DBJ (who tried hard but burnt some ball), Bonner and in general play Rockliff gave the forward half through Marshall, Ebert and Sam Powell-Pepper an avenue to goal.

One of the most pleasing wins in modern memory for Port Adelaide.

Boons best – Rockiliff, Boak, Westhoff, Burton, Ebert, Lycett, Gray

What if – Sam Powell-Pepper had got a better return than 3 points from his game high 6 shots on goal?

Next week Port Adelaide host Carlton in the twilight fixture on Saturday. See you at the footy!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 am

It's pleasing to see Kenny allow Rockliff play the role that made him a good player to begin with, I suggested that he'll have a great year but was scoffed at, early days but I'm glad he got off to the right start.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:53 am

Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Who’s been the most disappointing this weekend? Adelaide, Melbourne,Essendon or North Melbourne. All have been shit.

Essendon.
Atleast the others have a yelp for a quarter or two.
We ran up the white flag at the 3 minute mark. We also ran 100km less than any other side this weekend [emoji15]

Probably would have done ok if you had Rhys Stanley in your side.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Who’s been the most disappointing this weekend? Adelaide, Melbourne,Essendon or North Melbourne. All have been shit.

Essendon.
We ran up the white flag at the 3 minute mark. We also ran 100km less than any other side this weekend [emoji15]

Stanley is as bad as Bellchambers
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby David Brent » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am

Booney wrote:Even the true believers would have found it difficult to believe Port Adelaide would start the season with a solid win over one of 2019’s premiership fancies but that’s exactly what we did at a balmy MCG on Saturday afternoon.

It wasn’t all perfect, well, all but 10 minutes of the game was on Port’s terms but the first 10 minutes had disaster written all over it. 3 goals to a point within 15 minutes, 13 I50’s to 4, the likes of Brayshaw, Oliver, Fritsch and Salem winning the ball at ease, McDonald clunks one over Watts and goals, all three Melbourne goals coming from intercepts across Port’s half forward line as 4 chains from Port’s defence broke down one after another. “We need the next one” I sent to a mate. We got it, a wobbler from near the boundary to Boak and another to Marshall and at ¼ time the 11 point margin flattered Port, but some signs we there.

Lycett was basically beating Gawn up, Jonas and Clurey were getting the zone set up behind the ball and Port gained repeat entries once the zone locked down. Say what you like about Hinkley, his defensive zone has worked for 3 years, it’s all been about the transition forward and on Saturday that started to click. With no Dixon in the side Port’s forward movement is less predictable, a stat last year had Dixon as the second most aimed at target inside 50 behind only Lance Franklin, that’s far too predictable.

In the 2nd quarter we saw what the future holds for Port Adelaide as well as some of the best from the older bunch. Westhoff marks and goals, Butters gets fed one from a boundary throw in from Drew, Butters finds a second 6 minutes later and fellow debutante Duursma goals soon after to give Port 8 scoring shots to 4 for the quarter and momentum is now with the Power. Jonas has Weidemann covered, Clurey has McDonald up at half back looking for the ball and Burton, Houston, Watts and the Pig (Rockliff, for the uninitiated) are controlling half back.

Rockliff has not only hit season 2019 in better shape but the role he plays has changed somewhat. Moving across the defensive side of contests he’s setting play up from the back half with precise ball movement (transition, noted above) and choosing the “lane” Port take down the field.

With his role changing so too has Travis Boak’s, back playing purely as a midfielder after getting lost at half forward last year Boak’s leg speed and durability suit the midfield role Rockliff paddled along in last year, this has seen Brad Ebert go forward and all 3 look like they’re not only enjoying the change but it’s the right thing for the side. Ebert has always been an aerobic beast, his move forward allowed him to play 100% game time on the weekend and that allows the midfield to rotate in and out of the centre as he pinch hits in there.

In the 3rd a quick goal to Westhoff had Port 9 points up and on top before Melbourne bounced back in to the match with goals to Jones, Melksham and Weideman and most would have said Port had given their last yelp, not so, from here on Port Adelaide kick 5.7 to Melbourne’s 0.0, the Dees last score a point to Petracca at the 24 minute mark of the third. It was a powerful display from here.

Gray was starting to weave some magic in his 200th and duck and weave in and out of traffic may have been one of his great goals bar the left foot snap sailing wide, Rockliff chalked up 16 3rd quarter touches, Port had 17-8 I50’s for the quarter and had 25 more uncontested possessions along with 11 more uncontested marks. Jack Watts had a couple of personal highlights, winning a 1 on 3 contest at half back before delivering to Duursma in the corridor, who transitioned the ball forward through Bonner and Drew for Eberts 2nd mark inside 50 and a major.

Save for some less than ideal finishing inside 50 the last quarter may have been a blow out. Keeping Melbourne scoreless for the quarter while kicking 2.6 the margin could have been much greater than the final 26 point margin. Westhoff bagged two more major to finish with 5 for the day, Boak ( who attended 14 centre bounces for the game, he attended 48 for the year last year ) launched two attacks that resulted in goals.

While I’ve covered how well Port were offensively on the weekend it all stemmed from the defensive zone creating repeat forward 50 entries and much of that was from co-captain Tom Jonas marshalling the troops behind the ball. The likes of Burton, Houston, DBJ (who tried hard but burnt some ball), Bonner and in general play Rockliff gave the forward half through Marshall, Ebert and Sam Powell-Pepper an avenue to goal.

One of the most pleasing wins in modern memory for Port Adelaide.

Boons best – Rockiliff, Boak, Westhoff, Burton, Ebert, Lycett, Gray

What if – Sam Powell-Pepper had got a better return than 3 points from his game high 6 shots on goal?

Next week Port Adelaide host Carlton in the twilight fixture on Saturday. See you at the footy!

I watched the first half of this game & bits of the second. So early to call but you blokes have picked up some ripper kids at PA. All looked great & made you more exciting to watch with their natural pace & dash.

Boak, Westy & Gray all brilliant as always.

Powell- Pepper not so much, must frustrate the team & supporters to no end seeing him waste the ball time & time again & give away lazy free kicks. Once Wines is back from an outsiders view I think young Drew could go past him in the starting line up.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby JK » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 am

As Wedgie posted at the time (re: betting), even early in the game with Melbourne about 3 goals in front you could see they looked less energetic, physically fit and slower compared to the Port players. What followed after came as no surprise.

Either Sydney or Adelaide will most likely go 0-2 after this coming round so big game already coming up in the Harbour city.

Shocking start to the season for tipping and Supercoach for this punter! :oops:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am

tnt wrote:

West Coast needs to be in this list as well
Nah mate we are still drunk at the moment.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

stan wrote:
tnt wrote:

For sure, premiership hangover.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
stan wrote:
tnt wrote:

For sure, premiership hangover.
Nah mate still drunk. Hangover hasn't started yet.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

Most concern would be North Melbourne to be thumped by a team that's predicted to be going nowhere this year.
Adelaide. Hawthorn hard side to measure, but Adelaide seemed as though they had as good a prep as anyone, at home.
Essendon From the bits I saw and heard, GWS may be better than I predicted, especially some of their lesser-known names.
Melbourne - least concerned. I picked Port. Melbourne were a bit undermanned and there is always a couple of good teams that falter in the first couple weeks. Come back in round 5.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Essendon.

Give it up. You're shite. Prepare for the magnificence that is Rhys Stanley! :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="Brodlach"]Who’s been the most disappointing this weekend? Adelaide, Melbourne,Essendon or North Melbourne. All have been shit.

Essendon.

Give it up. You're shite. Prepare for the magnificence that is Rhys Stanley! :D

regards,

REB[/quote]
Stanley is the only ruckman in the comp that Bellchambers gives a bath to regularly that’s how bad he is [emoji3]
And yes we are shit
Jim05
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Corona Man wrote:I believe those loosing on home grounds counts for more than those on the road. So Melbourne & Adelaide for me. Mind you the way that both Essendon & North went down would have been disspointing for their followers. I tipped Brisbane to beat West Coast, and like a total muppet, didn't have any coin on the outcome - #-o

It was collingwoods home game to lol.

I thought WC would be underdone so took the lions in my tips.
Shoulda had a punt.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:20 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Corona Man wrote:I believe those loosing on home grounds counts for more than those on the road. So Melbourne & Adelaide for me. Mind you the way that both Essendon & North went down would have been disspointing for their followers. I tipped Brisbane to beat West Coast, and like a total muppet, didn't have any coin on the outcome - #-o

It was collingwoods home game to lol.

I thought WC would be underdone so took the lions in my tips.
Shoulda had a punt.

Ok I will be more specific then, home state grounds to interstate teams.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Still the best thing to come out of last night

A blokes bare arse is the best thing to come* out of last night?

Bloody hell, at least I humored @amber_fluid by talking about Carlton a little bit.

I can’t tell which arse is Eddie

The one with shit dribbling out of it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Thought this was funny

Screenshot your afl tipping leaderboard as it stands after round 1

Compare it to your final leaderboard at the end of the season . Bet your top 5 now will be your bottom 5 at seasons end. They know SFA about the AFL.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 pm

**Bump**

FlyingHigh wrote:Most concern would be North Melbourne to be thumped by a team that's predicted to be going nowhere this year.
Adelaide. Hawthorn hard side to measure, but Adelaide seemed as though they had as good a prep as anyone, at home.
Essendon From the bits I saw and heard, GWS may be better than I predicted, especially some of their lesser-known names.
Melbourne - least concerned. I picked Port. Melbourne were a bit undermanned and there is always a couple of good teams that falter in the first couple weeks. Come back in round 5.

Wrong. Off the Dees now. I had faith in them, but the couple posters here who called them frauds or whatever are dead right. Last year was good enough apparently.

Oh, and North Melbourne are going swimmingly.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:**Bump**

FlyingHigh wrote:Most concern would be North Melbourne to be thumped by a team that's predicted to be going nowhere this year.

Wrong. Off the Dees now. I had faith in them, but the couple posters here who called them frauds or whatever are dead right. Last year was good enough apparently.

Oh, and North Melbourne are going swimmingly.

North are in real strife. We beat them by 94 points in the VFL today and they have absolutely zero depth or players coming through
Jim05
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL