What have we learnt?

Talk on the national game

Re: What have we learnt?

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Must admit I did like the runner / trainers rule, felt the field had go too messy with 36 players, 3 field, 4 boundary and countless runners and trainers on the field, it was noticeable that there was less red/orange/yellow vests on the field and I suspect live this weekend will be more apparent.

Felt more like soccer with the boards on the sidelines.

Also how are you supposed to get an important message out urgently? What if you need to change a match up, and change something randomly that you haven't got a coloured board for?

Send a message out with the player rotating onto the field if need be.

I like it, it makes the leaders more important.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:23 am

If the coach wants to use a runner he should be allowed to but it counts as a rotation, I think that Is fair.

I have no issue with the current rule though, still plenty of people on the bench to yell at
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:We learnt Jack Watts is suddenly a superstar.
Played nearly 200 ordinary games but gives a post match speech and everything is forgiven.
Turn it up!!

If he was taken pick 30+ he'd be seen as a footballer with 173 AFL games under his belt.

But he wasn’t!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
Played nearly 200 ordinary games but gives a post match speech and everything is forgiven.
Turn it up!!

If he was taken pick 30+ he'd be seen as a footballer with 173 AFL games under his belt.

But he wasn’t!

That's not his doing though, is it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:25 am

Armchair expert wrote:If the coach wants to use a runner he should be allowed to but it counts as a rotation, I think that Is fair.

I have no issue with the current rule though, still plenty of people on the bench to yell at

I like that idea.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:If the coach wants to use a runner he should be allowed to but it counts as a rotation, I think that Is fair.

I like that idea.

Agreed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
Turn it up!!

But he wasn’t!

That's not his doing though, is it?

No.
But the no. 1 pick comes with more scrutiny, that’s just how it is.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am

Chuck in the fact that they have leadership groups and captains of each zone I think the less amount of people on the field the better, surely they can work it out themselves.

Back in the day the runner usually was there to drag someone on make a positional change, with the placards and pre-meditated rotations the role is pretty much redundant, you don't need to go tell an AFL player to lift his chin and worry about the next one.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby LMA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
Turn it up!!

But he wasn’t!

At least he hasnt played the mental health card when he has ****** up off field, respect must be given there
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 pm

LMA wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
Turn it up!!

But he wasn’t!

At least he hasnt played the mental health card when he has ****** up off field, respect must be given there

He did more in the off season that deserves respect.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Geelong are the real deal, a win over here this week would certainly place them in a group of their own for now.
Lions will be the big improvers for the season, will just miss the 8 by percentage IMO.
Giants' window has been closed.
Essendon are sh!t.
The Saints will come crashing down the earth this week as they'll get pummeled in the West.
Watching Melbourne should be called Gawn Girls, somehow they'll do a Sydney of last season and claw their way up the ladder thanks to the mediocrity of all the other teams.
Richmond are shot as their depth of key players will get found out.
Port are meh, bottom of the 8 stuff for mine.
This will be the closest finish since the 18 team comp has been in existence, there are about 12 teams all as good as one another, or as bad as each other if you choose.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:59 pm

The 6-6-6 is making the midfield more open and inside 50's easier but now there are 12 blokes inside 50 instead of 6-8 previously which is creating much more chaos and contested footy and hence less scoring.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:The 6-6-6 is making the midfield more open and inside 50's easier but now there are 12 blokes inside 50 instead of 6-8 previously which is creating much more chaos and contested footy and hence less scoring.

There's been 12 in the two 50's for about 3 years, 5 forwards and 7 defenders.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Geelong are the real deal, a win over here this week would certainly place them in a group of their own for now.
Lions will be the big improvers for the season, will just miss the 8 by percentage IMO.
Essendon are sh!t.
The Saints will come crashing down the earth this week as they'll get pummeled in the West.
Watching Melbourne should be called Gawn Girls, somehow they'll do a Sydney of last season and claw their way up the ladder thanks to the mediocrity of all the other teams.
This will be the closest finish since the 18 team comp has been in existence, there are about 12 teams all as good as one another, or as bad as each other if you choose.

Reckon you are wrong about GWS. Plenty of teams will look ordinary against the Eagles in Perth. They will make the eight easily I reckon.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 pm

I think the 6-6-6 has placed an importance on midfield depth and balance and that's one thing Geelong do have.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Kelly, Ablett on the inside are now complemented by Clark, Atkins, Dahlhaus and Constable on the outside, you can't be all in on one or the other, the game was shaping up with the importance leaning to inside mids to some degree, now it's back to 50/50.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Geelong are the real deal, a win over here this week would certainly place them in a group of their own for now.
Essendon are sh!t.

Reckon you are wrong about GWS. Plenty of teams will look ordinary against the Eagles in Perth. They will make the eight easily I reckon.

regards,

REB

Time will tell I guess, I think they've lost far more than they've gained over summer, I agree with you about the WCE comment, they would've been fully pumped after their round 1 loss, the Giants had an easy round 1 as they played the Bombers who looked liked they've picked up Philip Morris as a major sponsor.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Booney wrote:I think the 6-6-6 has placed an importance on midfield depth and balance and that's one thing Geelong do have.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Kelly, Ablett on the inside are now complemented by Clark, Atkins, Dahlhaus and Constable on the outside, you can't be all in on one or the other, the game was shaping up with the importance leaning to inside mids to some degree, now it's back to 50/50.

The best thing about Geelong is that we have addressed areas of weakness, namely the defensive pressure in the forward half. Miers, Dalhaus and Rohan are all awesome in that area, to a degree that we can carry Gaz's lack of defensive pressure. There appears to be some sort of plan, this is something that has been missing for many years. What we don't have of course is a gun ruck set up, although the 6-6-6 could suit Stanley's pace.

Cautiously optimistic but I can't see us saluting on Thursday. The Crows have regurlarly had our measure in Adelaide over the years except for a couple of matches. I'd be a happy Catter if we win that one.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Still got Kelly and Mumford to come back into that side, Stickers. Fairly handy inclusions. I think they still make the top six.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Still got Kelly and Mumford to come back into that side, Stickers. Fairly handy inclusions. I think they still make the top six.

regards,

REB

Mumford will dominate the 9 games he makes it out there this season, I don't under-estimate his presence one bit, it sure as f*** assures that Dawson Simpson stays well away from an AFL arena.

A couple of midfield injuries and they're right behind the 8 ball, Cameron's good for sitting out half a dozen games, didn't need to lose Lobb, especially with no Patton, I do really like the big Blimp though, I reckon he'll be very handy over time.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Still got Kelly and Mumford to come back into that side, Stickers. Fairly handy inclusions. I think they still make the top six.

regards,

REB

And Toby Greene.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL