AFL Week 9 - Making the rules up as they go along...

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Week 9 - Making the rules up as they go along...

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Life to short to get too worked up. i used to get really worked up about the footy, but since the events of my life drastically changed my perception has changed. Things still bother me but i can be incredibly open minded when it comes to footy.

i can be grown up when i need to be... Other then that, i do enjoy fun discussions

LOL, my brother is a shocker, so much so that I won't go watch Port with him and would prefer not to even watch it on TV with him, my 16 year old daughter can get quite animated too watching it. I barracked for Woodville growing up so losing is nothing new, it makes you appreciate a win a whole lot more.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby MW » Wed May 22, 2019 11:38 am

the reason the Richmond player got a week was it was off the ball. both ablett and fyfes incidents were in the act of play.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Life to short to get too worked up. i used to get really worked up about the footy, but since the events of my life drastically changed my perception has changed. Things still bother me but i can be incredibly open minded when it comes to footy.

i can be grown up when i need to be... Other then that, i do enjoy fun discussions

LOL, my brother is a shocker, so much so that I won't go watch Port with him and would prefer not to even watch it on TV with him, my 16 year old daughter can get quite animated too watching it. I barracked for Woodville growing up so losing is nothing new, it makes you appreciate a win a whole lot more.

i love passion, but i can't stand nonsense when watching a game... Just cause a player brushes past you, it's not holding the ball...

i can be very animated and passionate, especially after a couple. But i reckon i am pretty good (most of the time :lol: )

I have been spoiled over the years so this turn at being sub par is certainly interesting....
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Spargo » Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 am

MW wrote:the reason the Richmond player got a week was it was off the ball. both ablett and fyfes incidents were in the act of play.

I can’t cop this as the difference. Ablett’s second hit vs North was well off the ball too.
They were arguing about it on 360 last night - Gerard saying Ablett’s were “in play” & Soldo’s wasn’t. Robbo saying it shouldn’t matter, if it happens on the ground then that’s it, they should all be treated the same.
I’m with Robbo on this one, Soldo can count himself very unlucky.
The one that staggers me the most is Luke Parker’s hit on Ziebell only getting a fine. It was far worse than any of those discussed so far. Went passed the ball & elbowed him in the head.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:the reason the Richmond player got a week was it was off the ball. both ablett and fyfes incidents were in the act of play.

I can’t cop this as the difference. Ablett’s second hit vs North was well off the ball too.
They were arguing about it on 360 last night - Gerard saying Ablett’s were “in play” & Soldo’s wasn’t. Robbo saying it shouldn’t matter, if it happens on the ground then that’s it, they should all be treated the same.
I’m with Robbo on this one, Soldo can count himself very unlucky.
The one that staggers me the most is Luke Parker’s hit on Ziebell only getting a fine. It was far worse than any of those discussed so far. Went passed the ball & elbowed him in the head.

Ziebell being such a hard nut probably saved him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby MW » Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Ablett and Fyfe were trying to put a body on. Soldo had no other intention than elbowing into the head.
MW
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

MW wrote:Ablett and Fyfe were trying to put a body on. Soldo had no other intention than elbowing into the head.

And yet Soldo’s had far less impact than the others.
I’m not sure “trying to put a body on” is a legit defence. The onus is on you not to elbow/forearm to the head IMO.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm

MW wrote:Ablett and Fyfe were trying to put a body on. Soldo had no other intention than elbowing into the head.

That's what Ablett did, especially his second incident
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Spargo wrote:

And yet Soldo’s had far less impact than the others.
I’m not sure “trying to put a body on” is a legit defence. The onus is on you not to elbow/forearm to the head IMO.

I saw the Ablett ones as more trying to block his opponent, than body on body. In terms of both incidents, my view yep good record you can get off on the first one. Does basically the same thing the following week.... have a spell champ!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MW » Wed May 22, 2019 12:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

That's what Ablett did, especially his second incident

Yeah but he was putting a block on, not elbowing him in the head with no other intention
MW
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL