2019 Silly Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2019 Silly Season

Postby JK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How much should clubs listen to their members though? Where do you start and end with it?

Could be all sorts of underlying private issues that the public aren't aware of.

Absolutely, nuffies like me aren't best served to make list management decisions, not by any stretch, but, given the discontent the co-captaincy created, next years 150th anniversary and a decline in membership numbers you'd think the club might just reconsider something that, universally, was condemned by the members.

2 separate issues IMO, things like the number of Captains is something they should get member input for, this is something that hasn't changed for 148 years, not sure any club is ever going to listen its members when it comes to list management though.

Whilst I’ve personally never been a fan of co-captains, even in that situation a club wouldn’t appoint two if they didn’t believe they would benefit from it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]geez the Hawks get some bargains done

$600k for a bloke that will probably spend a lot of time at Box Hill?

Are they paying that?

Yep.
GWS need the $600k off their books to keep Cameron, Whitfield etc. They took the low pick on the condition the Hawks pay his existing contract.
Same as Scully last year

Jim was there when Patton signed the contract[/quote]
No, I just took McCarthy’s word for it as he is the GWS list manager.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Dutchy wrote:How much should clubs listen to their members though? Where do you start and end with it?

Could be all sorts of underlying private issues that the public aren't aware of.

Apparently Howard had a big falling out with one of the coaches, Montgomery, is he the defensive coach?
Makes sense to be honest. It's a really strange situation.

This whole trade period has been a bit strange.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Absolutely, nuffies like me aren't best served to make list management decisions, not by any stretch, but, given the discontent the co-captaincy created, next years 150th anniversary and a decline in membership numbers you'd think the club might just reconsider something that, universally, was condemned by the members.

2 separate issues IMO, things like the number of Captains is something they should get member input for, this is something that hasn't changed for 148 years, not sure any club is ever going to listen its members when it comes to list management though.
Lol, all you need to do is read the stuff the nuffies put up on social media and know that clubs won't take much notice of this in terms of list management.
stan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Bombers loading up on more spuds by the sound of it. Phillips is ordinary but I suppose anything is an upgrade on Zac Clarke. Bonar just seems like a bit of a plodder which we already have in spades
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Jim05 wrote:Bombers loading up on more spuds by the sound of it. Phillips is ordinary but I suppose anything is an upgrade on Zac Clarke. Bonar just seems like a bit of a plodder which we already have in spades
You need JJ to replace Daniher

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Bombers loading up on more spuds by the sound of it. Phillips is ordinary but I suppose anything is an upgrade on Zac Clarke. Bonar just seems like a bit of a plodder which we already have in spades

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Joe for Joe
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Swans better hurry up with a decent offer then
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

We already gave you a decent one.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby stan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 am

Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Looks like this one might not go through.

As for Bonar, I think he will be good for you guys if you land him. Is a good talent, just can't get into that GWS midfield st the moment. If he comes fairly cheap, then it's worth it in my opinion.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

2 separate issues, for sure, but, there was an opportunity to stop the bleeding when it came to member discontent. Member numbers have dropped and next year should be a boom year for the club off field with merchandise, club functions etc, slapping the members in the face two years in a row isn't a great idea, IMO. Add to that the decision seems to have miffed people in all facets of the industry.

On the other side of Port Road, the members asked for a clean out of the playing list, do you think 12 months ago they would have all been clapping and waving as Betts drives to the airport in glowing admiration of him leaving? No, but they know it's best for their club going forward. Port people are the opposite when it comes to losing Howard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 am

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

As for Bonar, I think he will be good for you guys if you land him. Is a good talent, just can't get into that GWS midfield st the moment. If he comes fairly cheap, then it's worth it in my opinion.

If we can't get him this year, we will get him next year for less... Either way i am not fussed.

If he stays i am intrigued by the effort he will put in.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:03 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote="Jim05"]Bombers loading up on more spuds by the sound of it. Phillips is ordinary but I suppose anything is an upgrade on Zac Clarke. Bonar just seems like a bit of a plodder which we already have in spades

If we can't get him this year, we will get him next year for less... Either way i am not fussed.

If he stays i am intrigued by the effort he will put in.[/quote]
I think it will get done. It’s this year or never IMO
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:05 am

Jim i know we both have gone back and fourth and had a bit of fun on this issue, but i feel the bombers are bluffing and we get him on the pick 5 and second round pick. What are your thoughts?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Jim i know we both have gone back and fourth and had a bit of fun on this issue, but i feel the bombers are bluffing and we get him on the pick 5 and second round pick. What are your thoughts?

I don’t think we are bluffing.
Unless it’s 5&9 I can’t see us budging.
I reckon you will relent and offer us that in the last hour and we will relent and accept it
Jim05
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am

5 & 9 for Daniher is massive overs or a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Jim i know we both have gone back and fourth and had a bit of fun on this issue, but i feel the bombers are bluffing and we get him on the pick 5 and second round pick. What are your thoughts?

I'm not Jim but if I was you I'd be hoping it falls through.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 am

MW wrote:5 & 9 for Daniher is massive overs or a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

Even just 5 is.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 am

MW wrote:5 & 9 for Daniher is massive overs or a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

Normally I’d agree but not in this years draft. He is our most important player and the Swans obviously think he is over his problems if they are really offering him 5 years on big coin
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Even just 5 is.

Papley for 9 shows how much this draft is rated
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL