AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am

Below are all 18 club songs broken up into categories by Cornes:

Elite: Richmond, North Melbourne, GWS, Western Bulldogs.

Sub Elite: Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon.

Advanced: Brisbane, Hawthorn, Melbourne, West Coast.

Good: Sydney, St Kilda, Geelong.

Poor: Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast.

Rotten: Fremantle.

My ratings

OK: Richmond, GWS, Sydney, St Kilda, Geelong, Brisbane, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne
Poor: Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, Hawthorn
Absolute tripe: Fremantle, Adelaide, Gold Coast, West Coast
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 am

West Australian newsbreaker Kim Hagdorn has shed further light on the complicated situation surrounding Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan.

The respected journalist told 6PR Breakfast on Wednesday that Hogan may have played his last game for the club after he recently took an indefinite break from the game to focus on his mental health.

Speaking with Kane Cornes, Hagdorn said the club was at such a “frustration” with the 24-year-old that they were considering all their options to cut ties ahead of the new season.

“I’m not tip-toeing around it as much as others,” he said on SEN Mornings

“I do understand how officials at Fremantle and even those at AFL House (are sensitive about this) – it’s probably the AFL’s biggest issue is the mental health concerns amongst some of the athletes.

“I think Fremantle are at such a frustration with Jesse Hogan that even considering all that, they’ll have to come to an agreement where he vacates the club for a very long period of time and ultimately I don’t think he’ll be going back to Fremantle at all.

“A player with mental health issues can be put on a long-term injury list and then be reconsidered at a due time well down the track and a player can replace him.

“Ultimately, I don’t think Jesse Hogan is in a position to play football with Fremantle again. Not only has it become a major issue, his habits away from the club which have unfortunately been fairly public over the last 11 months.

“Now it’s gotten beyond the playing group, the senior players and now even new senior coach Justin Longmuir, who I understand, are of the view that we should move Jesse (Hogan) on.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:04 am

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:West Australian newsbreaker Kim Hagdorn has shed further light on the complicated situation surrounding Fremantle forward Jesse Hogan.

The respected journalist told 6PR Breakfast on Wednesday that Hogan may have played his last game for the club after he recently took an indefinite break from the game to focus on his mental health.

Speaking with Kane Cornes, Hagdorn said the club was at such a “frustration” with the 24-year-old that they were considering all their options to cut ties ahead of the new season.

“I’m not tip-toeing around it as much as others,” he said on SEN Mornings

“I do understand how officials at Fremantle and even those at AFL House (are sensitive about this) – it’s probably the AFL’s biggest issue is the mental health concerns amongst some of the athletes.

“I think Fremantle are at such a frustration with Jesse Hogan that even considering all that, they’ll have to come to an agreement where he vacates the club for a very long period of time and ultimately I don’t think he’ll be going back to Fremantle at all.

“A player with mental health issues can be put on a long-term injury list and then be reconsidered at a due time well down the track and a player can replace him.

“Ultimately, I don’t think Jesse Hogan is in a position to play football with Fremantle again. Not only has it become a major issue, his habits away from the club which have unfortunately been fairly public over the last 11 months.

“Now it’s gotten beyond the playing group, the senior players and now even new senior coach Justin Longmuir, who I understand, are of the view that we should move Jesse (Hogan) on.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jes ... 53yc9.html

Jesse Hogan has taken time away from football to deal with mental health problems. He has not quit the game, nor has he been asked to quit by the club.

Neither are the Dockers poised to do so any time soon.

It is not the first time Hogan has struggled with his mental health at Fremantle, or at Melbourne before that. Nor is it the first time he has had to confront serious health issues of a mental or physical nature; in 2017 he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and suffered the loss of his father.

He has prioritised his health above his football at the moment, which the club encouraged him to do. Fremantle understand the pointlessness of any player attempting to play elite sport when they are not mentally well.

Whether Hogan does reach a point where he decides his mental health is better served not returning to football – like Tom Boyd at the Western Bulldogs – sources suggest he has not reached that point. And Fremantle have not put themselves in a position of offering him an ultimatum.

A radio commentator suggested on Wednesday that the club was close to cutting ties with Hogan. This seems at the very best to be premature.

"Jesse needs time away from the club so he can manage mental health challenges that he is dealing with and focus on his general wellbeing," Fremantle's general manager of football Peter Bell said on January 29.

"We believe it is the most appropriate course of action and, more importantly, it is what is best for Jesse's long-term health and wellbeing.

"We will continue to provide all the necessary and ongoing care and support Jesse requires, as we would do for any of our players."

Hogan is a complex character who has endured a great deal. He is a senior character in the playing group by virtue of the central position he plays, but as he battles his issues he has not, according to those within the Dockers, been a destructive force that would prompt them to consider the idea they would rather not have him around. In fact, they aggressively state the opposite.

Like at Melbourne when Hogan also wrestled with mental health issues, he did not act out in a distracting manner. Rather, he withdrew and became aloof. Aloofness is regarded as a symptom of his anxiety.

Hogan's step away from football is open-ended in that there is no timeframe on his return, but the Dockers say that he will be back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:23 pm

seems well handled by all parties
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Suggestion on the radio this morning that he had an indiscretion outside the club and so he doesn’t get axed he claimed mental health issues.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Brodlach wrote:Suggestion on the radio this morning that he had an indiscretion outside the club and so he doesn’t get axed he claimed mental health issues.

Must have got another bout of depression after one of his MDMA benders.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:08 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Suggestion on the radio this morning that he had an indiscretion outside the club and so he doesn’t get axed he claimed mental health issues.

Must have got another bout of depression after one of his MDMA benders.

It makes you think how many of these Mental health issues AFL players have are actually drug related indiscretions.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10331 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 pm

AFLW skills have improved immensely
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Brodlach wrote:AFLW skills have improved immensely

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2520 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

Far better than they were, goal kicked about 40 out and easily cleared the line.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:07 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

Stop comparing it to men, thats the 1st step
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:32 am

Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

Whether it’s sport or business or whatever if you want to be the best you need to compare and model it on the best.
The AFL is the benchmark for the AFLW to get too.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby LMA » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:55 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

Whether it’s sport or business or whatever if you want to be the best you need to compare and model it on the best.

My Jack Russell loves to run but he's never going to be as fast as a Greyhound, I've accepted that. :)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:07 am

LMA wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

My Jack Russell loves to run but he's never going to be as fast as a Greyhound, I've accepted that. :)

Strength and speed will never be like the men but their skills can and should be.
I’ve seen better skills in C4 footy.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:23 am

Think the most AFLW games a woman could have played so far is 28. They’ve improved a lot.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:30 am

Brodlach wrote:Think the most AFLW games a woman could have played so far is 28. They’ve improved a lot.

The AFLW concept is new but women’s footy isn’t.
Some of the girls have been playing for years.

Some of the girls(Erin Phillips) have great skills but the majority don’t from what I’ve seen.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Standard is still poor but from I saw last night the younger players have better skills than the older players, the players with zero skills who can’t kick a droppunt will be moved on rather quickly. Give it 3 years and I think the standard will improve 10fold.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

Maybe compare it to the 1901 season then.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:30 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They’re still terrible.
Let’s be honest.

An unlike most men, these women haven't had a footy in their hands since they can walk, that will change over time, personally I think they should have left it as a 8 team competition for the 1st 5 years, with the current expansion it is going to spread the talent too thin, it will get there it just needs time.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL