Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
UK Fan wrote:3AW reporting this years China game to be cancelled Due to the virus outbreak

https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-clash-in-chi ... ing-ahead/
Ok, I kind of just read a AFL statement saying at this stage it's still as scheduled?
One would suggest unless the virus is killed of quickly and contained in the next few weeks that it will be called off.

Surely common sense will prevail at some point.

Agreed, they'll no doubt monitor the situation but I'd hasten a guess that it would be unlikely they'd head over there at this point.

With 4 months to the game I doubt they'd be calling it off just yet though.

Wouldn’t they need to make the call sooner rather than later?
Surely supporters and sponsors need to know ASAP for their travel arrangements.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:53 pm

KT is retiring so why not send him over there to check it all out? ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:KT is retiring so why not send him over there to check it all out? ;)

Take Kochie and Ken with him. ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:55 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
UK Fan wrote:3AW reporting this years China game to be cancelled Due to the virus outbreak

https://www.3aw.com.au/afl-clash-in-chi ... ing-ahead/
Ok, I kind of just read a AFL statement saying at this stage it's still as scheduled?
One would suggest unless the virus is killed of quickly and contained in the next few weeks that it will be called off.

Surely common sense will prevail at some point.

Agreed, they'll no doubt monitor the situation but I'd hasten a guess that it would be unlikely they'd head over there at this point.

With 4 months to the game I doubt they'd be calling it off just yet though.

Wouldn’t they need to make the call sooner rather than later?
Surely supporters and sponsors need to know ASAP for their travel arrangements.

When is the right time though? If they reschedule the match now they will have people upset who already have plans in place they leave it too late and people will be left hanging.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Neither is ideal but I always think making the call early is best.
Hopefully the end decision is not financially based.
I’m sure it’s a consideration but common sense has to prevail here.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:12 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Neither is ideal but I always think making the call early is best.

I'd say most of the money in and out would all ready be locked away, the only variable would be the functions around the game like the gala dinner etc if venues are booked but tickets are not sold etc.

I'd think they'd make the call within the next 4 weeks, that's 3 months notice for all parties.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:38 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Neither is ideal but I always think making the call early is best.

I'd say most of the money in and out would all ready be locked away, the only variable would be the functions around the game like the gala dinner etc if venues are booked but tickets are not sold etc.

I'd think they'd make the call within the next 4 weeks, that's 3 months notice for all parties.
To be honest the damage is already done in spreading the virus. Should be fairly well spread through Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne fairly soon.

I mean come on a plane landed from Wuhan in Sydney a day before the Wuhan airport was shut down.

The female soccer team in Brisbane, over seas uni students, over seas school students etc etc.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:51 pm

Wines dislocated his left shoulder at training last week and after medical assessment, underwent surgery tonight.

“Ollie dislocated his shoulder in a fairly routine contest on Wednesday in one of those unfortunate incidents that can happen in football,” said the club’s Head of Medical Services, Tim O’Leary.

“After seeking advice, surgery was recommended as the best course of action, and while the surgery was a success, it will interrupt his start to the season.”

The 25-year-old’s injury is unrelated to the dislocation of his right shoulder which interrupted part of his 2019 campaign.

Wines will miss the club’s pre-season encounters against Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs and is expected to be sidelined for the first few rounds of the regular season.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:58 pm

No good for Ollie. He's the type of player who needs a full preseason, expect to see him in the 2's for a while.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby RustyCage » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 am

Less than ideal for Ollie after such an injury interrupted 2019
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 am

He'll be out for 10-12 weeks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 am

Booney wrote:He'll be out for 10-12 weeks.

The irony is it will make you a better side rd1
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 am

MW wrote:

I disagree. I don't have Rockliff or SPP in the side, I'd rather have Wines in there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:

I disagree. I don't have Rockliff or SPP in the side, I'd rather have Wines in there.

I read/heard somewhere SPP may play as a forward this year.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 pm

Did you go to Ports AGM Boon?

Havent seen heard any media regarding it?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:04 am

Dutchy wrote:Did you go to Ports AGM Boon?

Havent seen heard any media regarding it?

No mate, didn't go, was busy sweeping water out of my shed / rumpus room. :( I am catching up with someone who did go on the weekend. Initial reports said it wasn't overly informative, Hinkley spoke earlier than usual as his wife had a birthday dinner so he took off, Thomas didn't speak. Vanstone stood down from the board, not too many board members were present.

Yes, oddly quiet, I would have thought Rucci would have liked to spread the bad news around if there was any to report, perhaps keeping it for this weekends paper?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:54 am

Jackson Mead injured his hamstring yesterday and will miss 4 weeks or more.

For you Super Team Dream Coach fans he would have been a good buy to start the year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:09 am

Here's Rucci's take on Port's AGM (with a bit of Adelaide thrown in for comparison).

How football club annual general meetings have changed.

Gone is the long line at the door where membership tickets and numbers were scrutinised to determine if a member was ‘financial’.

No longer is there a formal agenda.

And – more often than not, certainly recently with the ‘independent’ SA-based AFL clubs – there is no ballot paper to fill out in an annual election for the board.

Not changing, however, is how members surprise their clubs’ directors with their own order of business at question time.

Port Adelaide’s AGM last Friday was expected to put the heat on the board for that unpopular decision to go with co-captains – revoked for 2020 – that last season ended 149 years of tradition at Alberton.

And there is that longstanding question of just how much debt is on the Port Adelaide books.

Adelaide has its turn on March 2 at Adelaide Oval where Crows chairman Rob Chapman can expect the questions on that camp to be replaced with curiosity on the external review.

Or should he?

Once a month, a board member would be available to answer questions with a director over a beer at the social club, as it was in the 1970s with “Big Bob” McLean.

“Who is paying for the drinks?,” was Koch’s first reaction.

Here was the telltale sign of a member feeling disconnected from his club’s leadership.

He probably did not even know the leadership team at Alberton beyond Koch and soon-to-depart chief executive Keith Thomas.

This is increasingly inevitable at AFL clubs that have become $65 million annual revenue machines in need of accountants, lawyers and marketing experts in a board room once filled by former players.

It also is an indicator of the frustration of members who hear so much of their club from the outside – and are more confused by the strategic silence that follows from the inside.

The old theme of “never complain, never explain” is outdated in the new AFL that has its own media enterprise feeding the 24/7 news (and opinion) cycle.

Just reflect on the damage done to the silent Crows from a supposedly malicious and obsessed Victorian media last year.

A monthly ‘happy hour’ with a director from either the Port Adelaide or Crows board rooms would be fascinating for the awareness a club member has with the men and women around the tables chaired by Koch and Chapman.

Most directors would have to wear a red carnation and introduce themselves to avoid being taken as a fellow club member rather than the star of the ‘happy hour’ show.

At Alberton, former federal politician Amanda Vanstone has stood down.

She is to be replaced by a female – on Koch’s recommendation and with AFL endorsement – without a members’ vote.

Asian business expert Andrew Day, who was co-opted to the board last year to fill the seat vacated by former player Ross Haslam, is now formally elected – by the AFL’s vote, not that of the members.

At West Lakes, premiership defender Rod Jameson is to stay on the board after no-one chose to stand against him in a members’ nomination vote that would have needed AFL endorsement.

Is this a sign of indifference, or has the Crows board won back the members’ confidence after a difficult end to season 2019?

One long-established Crows identity did consider nominating for the board but, ultimately, decided to stay outside.

So what does this say of recent calls – led by former federal senator Chris Schacht – for constitutional reform at the SA-based AFL clubs with more member-elected directors and less AFL-appointed board members in Adelaide?

In a professional league, AFL club board remain filled by volunteers.

And some might even enjoy a ‘happy hour’ session every so often with the membership base until the on-field performance make the natives restless.

So, can you name the directors running your club?

And how many on the board did you vote for?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:10 am

A monday night match at Marvel Stadium is the frontrunner should the Round 11 Shanghai showdown between St Kilda and Port Adelaide have to be moved amid ongoing coronavirus fears.

The AFL continues to meet regularly and continues to consult with government and health officials as broadcasters push for an answer on whether the game is going ahead within the next fortnight.

China’s National Health Commission confirmed on Monday that infections in the country had risen to 40,171 – up 3062 cases from the day prior.

Should the match be brought back to Australia, St Kilda could be in line for a hit of hundreds of thousands of dollars to its bottom line.

The three-year deal with Port Adelaide — which is also heavily backed by the Victorian government — to play at Jiangwan Stadium in May is in its second year, with the Power having demolished the illness-depleted Saints in last year’s meeting.

Holding the match at Marvel Stadium – which is booked on both the Saturday and Sunday of the Round 11 weekend at the end of May – is a key contingency plan being considered.

Moorabbin is not being considered as an option and St Kilda does not want to play the match in Adelaide.

Both teams have a bye fixtured the following week.

An advance team of international experts – led by the World Health Organisation – yesterday left for Beijing to investigate the outbreak.

It has emerged that a key factor in broadcast considerations is potential added costs should production staff members – many of whom are employed as freelancers – be quarantined for two weeks following any trip to China.

It is understood that broadcast producers could be liable for paying freelance staff for the entire quarantine period, blowing out the costs associated with covering one AFL match.

It also has the potential to wreak havoc for rostering both on and off-air employees in Rounds 12 and 13 should Fox Footy and freelance staff be quarantined.

The AFL – which is receiving regular advice from authorities - has not wavered from its position on the matter, maintaining yesterday that its “priority is the health and safety of all our people”.

“We will continue to take advice from the Australian government and World Health Organisation regarding any health and safety precautions related to travel to China,” it said.

“Our planning for the Shanghai match on May 31 continues, with the situation being closely monitored.”

The latest update by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, which was still current yesterday, states that the Australian chief medical officer has advised that Australians do not travel to China and that those currently on the ground should leave as soon as possible by commercial means.

A second assisted departure flight from Wuhan arrived in Darwin on Sunday.

The WHO investigative mission – led by Dr Bruce Aylward, a Canadian epidemiologist and emergencies expert – reportedly took almost two weeks to be given a green light by the Chinese government.

The coronavirus death toll in China yesterday rose by 97 to 908, with the majority of the additional deaths in the Hubei province, surpassing the toll from the 2002-2003 SARS epidemic.

The LPGA announced yesterday that it had cancelled the HSBC Women’s World Championship — which was scheduled to be played in Singapore from February 27 — and the Honda LPGA Thailand tournaments.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:15 am

You suspect that they will make the call on this in the next couple of weeks, things would have to dramatically improve quickly for them to even consider going ahead with the match.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL