AFL Round 2

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 2

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Spargo wrote:Definitely noticed players were given more time to dispose of the footy over the weekend.
As long as they’re consistent with it, I think it’s a positive move which keeps the game flowing.

Agreed in the games I saw - and I liked it but as you say consistency is the key. How long can the whistle blowers hold their nerve before they need to start making more impact in games.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby JK » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:16 pm

I don't know if it was the AFL's "Rule of the week" system or whether it's a change that will carry through the season, but I noted several instances (at least 5) of players taking a clean mark then having it knocked from them at the last second, all of which I would have thought were clear marks in prior seasons. All of them were from decent entry's, not the shit chippy 10-20m passes. Understand the rules need to be applied equally regardless of which end of the ground the play is, but if they're not paying those ones to Taberner and Heeney, imho they're targetting the wrong issues.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

AFL Round 2

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:06 pm

So the MRP have today changed the rules and from now on the Burgoyne tackle would be a suspension
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Jim05 wrote:So the MRP have today changed the rules and from now on the Burgoyne tackle would be a suspension
Rule changes on the run...yep the season is back

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:31 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:So the MRP have today changed the rules and from now on the Burgoyne tackle would be a suspension
Rule changes on the run...yep the season is back

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I thought this has been a suspension for last year or so, cant see how it wasnt straight away.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Booney wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Booney wrote:One thing from Saturday night and I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but Glouftis should not be umpiring at AFL level. She literally looks to one of the other umpires for affirmation before she makes any decision and three times Saturday night another umpire called a free for a play that she was controlling.

Does anyone know if umpires are being rotated? She didn't officiate in the last quarter.

She's an easy target for criticism. There would have been a number of instances over the round where decisions were made by a "non controlling" umpire and from what I saw there were umpires in other games that may have influenced the result due to their poor decision making. We should accept that umpires make mistakes.

Agreed, she is an easy target but I'm not saying she's poor because she's a she, I'm just saying she's a poor umpire.

In fact I think there some worse than she is, Findlay and Stephens come to mind.

Saw her 10 years ago in an u18s front up to the Gaza drunks who congregate around those round tables on a Sunday arvo to lay off abusing a goal umpire or get booted. Don't know how old she is now but was a wee lass back then.
I give her some latitute just for that.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 pm

MatteeG wrote:Something else I noticed more this round was how 'matey' everyone is on the field.
I'm all for good sportsmanship, but gees I miss genuine dislike between teams.

It is a money earning industry and basically they are all members of the same very successful union, but I guess they could remember to pretend to hate each other like in the old non-professional days, when the club mattered more than the pay packet.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL