AFL Round 6 - I'm a Victorian, GET ME OUT OF HERE!

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 6 - I'm a Victorian, GET ME OUT OF HERE!

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am

The Bedge wrote:What about a point for each quarter a side wins instead of 4 for the match.

Or bonus point for any side that kicks 5+ goals in a quarter.

Ever played a game where you were kicking with the wind one qtr, then it shifted and you were kicking with it the next. I know I have.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:18 am

LMA wrote:
The Bedge wrote:What about a point for each quarter a side wins instead of 4 for the match.

Ever played a game where you were kicking with the wind one qtr, then it shifted and you were kicking with it the next. I know I have.

If anything that evens up the points system. A team would get a chance to win 1 point (kick with the wind once in the game) where normally they would kick against it 3 times, lose the game and get zero points all because of the coin toss.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:21 am

I think it should be a bonus point is you kick 4 or more goals in a quarter, a bonus of 5% if you kick two in time on, 9 points for a goal from outside 50, 12 points for a goal outside 50 on the non-preferred foot and at the end of the game the captains nominated three players each to play rock-paper-scissors in the two goals squares and centre circle and the first one to win all three and have all players in the centre circle wins.

Keep it simple.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 am

whufc wrote:
LMA wrote:

If anything that evens up the points system. A team would get a chance to win 1 point (kick with the wind once in the game) where normally they would kick against it 3 times, lose the game and get zero points all because of the coin toss.

No need for bonus points. This is why we have percentage that seperates teams on equal points, you need the right mix of attack and defence to propel that percentage upwards. With 18 teams and finals spots always coming down to percentage, this alone should be enough incentive for coaches to get the balance right.
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 am

The Bedge wrote:
LMA wrote:You lost me at bonus point. I've said before skills are the biggest issue for mine, with the inception of GC & GWS and the increase of list sizes over the years, we're seeing over 100 players on AFL lists that shouldn't be there. Trim the lists to 36, reduce the bench to 3 and push those 100 odd players back to the feeder comps. With smaller lists, you'll get better quality training sessions which hopefully would show on gameday.

I disagree, I think shorter lists or less sides will just see more elite athletics at the top.

Biggest issue isn’t the skill level, it’s the congestion and fitness level of players, ability to literally get to every contest. Overcoached, too many structures, setups.. sides focused towards avoiding being scored against as opposed to being encouraged to score.

Definitely agree about overcoaching and structures. Are they spending too much time on this and not enough on skills, I think so. Reduced list sizes could see a shift in focus.
LMA
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:35 am

Booney wrote:I think it should be a bonus point is you kick 4 or more goals in a quarter, a bonus of 5% if you kick two in time on, 9 points for a goal from outside 50, 12 points for a goal outside 50 on the non-preferred foot and at the end of the game the captains nominated three players each to play rock-paper-scissors in the two goals squares and centre circle and the first one to win all three and have all players in the centre circle wins.

Keep it simple.

Would be more interesting than what’s on display from 95% of teams at the moment.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:38 am

Booney wrote:I think it should be a bonus point is you kick 4 or more goals in a quarter, a bonus of 5% if you kick two in time on, 9 points for a goal from outside 50, 12 points for a goal outside 50 on the non-preferred foot and at the end of the game the captains nominated three players each to play rock-paper-scissors in the two goals squares and centre circle and the first one to win all three and have all players in the centre circle wins.

Keep it simple.

And a further bonus points for a torpedo or droppie goal.
LMA
Coach

Postby Bandit » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 am

LMA wrote:

Yeah but i was always kicking against it both times you lucky **** :lol:
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am

I dont think too much has to change. The no third man up rule as well as nominating a ruckman at all stoppages was bought in 3 or 4 years ago and it's been a shit show since then.
Scrap the no third man up and the need to nominate ruckman, plus umpires throw it up or in immediately ( 10 to 15 seconds quicker than current) and that will change the game. Quite simply there will be much less players making it to each stoppage giving more room to move, and less time for setups behind the ball.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

Mythical Creature wrote:I dont think too much has to change. The no third man up rule as well as nominating a ruckman at all stoppages was bought in 3 or 4 years ago and it's been a shit show since then.
Scrap the no third man up and the need to nominate ruckman, plus umpires throw it up or in immediately ( 10 to 15 seconds quicker than current) and that will change the game. Quite simply there will be much less players making it to each stoppage giving more room to move, and less time for setups behind the ball.

It's the first rule I'd get rid of, it absolutely causes congestion.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:00 am

So you have 4 matches in one?

Based on that last weeks Brisbane/Geelong game, which Geelong won by 27 points, Brisbane would have received 3 points and Geelong 1.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am

Dutchy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:What about a point for each quarter a side wins instead of 4 for the match

So you have 4 matches in one?

Based on that last weeks Brisbane/Geelong game, which Geelong won by 27 points, Brisbane would have received 3 points and Geelong 1.

Well it would make life interesting lol.

Maybe 4pts for a win, 0.5pts for winning a qtr.

Geelong 4.5pt
Brisbane 1.5pt

Who knows just spit balling.. either way something has to give coz it's getting harder and harder to watch.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 am

One team kicks 5 goals to 0 in the 1st 10 mins of a quarter, then rest players for the back end of the quarter as they have already got their bonus point.

Lets remember it was Daisy that suggested all this :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

No bonus points, scrap percentage and use points for as the determining stat with teams on the same premiership points.

There is too much incentive with percentage to only lose by a small margin, remove that incentive and teams should go for the win more if it makes no difference to lose by 1 goal or 10.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm

How about we scrap the interchange cap and the crap nominating the ruck rule... Done....
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:22 pm

How about we bring back Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall, Modra etc and all of the other players who were in their prime in the early to mid 90's. Best era of football as a spectacle IMO. Nothing has been anywhere near as good since.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Bum Crack wrote:How about we bring back Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall, Modra etc and all of the other players who were in their prime in the early to mid 90's..

Coz they'd be like 50 now and would struggle to run. :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby RB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:How about we scrap the interchange cap and the crap nominating the ruck rule... Done....
It seems that we're all (unusually) united on scrapping the ruck rule.

A rule that nobody asked for, wasn't needed and clearly hasn't benefited the game.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:36 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:How about we bring back Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall, Modra etc and all of the other players who were in their prime in the early to mid 90's..

Coz they'd be like 50 now and would struggle to run. :P

They'd probably still kick more than the key forwards these days ;)
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Psyber » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Perhaps the simplest solution to the holding the ball issue would be that when tackled you can dispose of the ball anyway you can including throwing it to ground without penalty, and thus if you don't dispose of it then the call is holding the ball. Of course pinning the arms in a tackle would then become a pattern, but that could mean a bounce..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL