Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby stan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm

locky801 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Kochy entertaining the Premier...looking for more funds?

Needs to see his right hand man Shahin for that ;)
I reckon there's a bit going on with the State government and the SMA that's going to play out.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby locky801 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 pm

Hinkley wont be happy with this last 1/4, important % going out the door
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3709 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:42 pm

locky801 wrote:Hinkley wont be happy with this last 1/4, important % going out the door
Especially with us having no one on the bench. Really should have killed us
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:
locky801 wrote:Hinkley wont be happy with this last 1/4, important % going out the door
Especially with us having no one on the bench. Really should have killed us
Yep considering that should of won by more really but nevertheless Port are working themselves into the season nicely. The way they moved the ball in the first half was very exciting.
In reality though they have only played two teams who are very likely to feature in the bottom four of the ladder, bigger tests against West Coast then Richmond await.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Last week I opened up with Ports slow start and knew it would be a focus this week against the Bombers, so it was. Dixon, Butters, Georgiades (2) and Ladhams were all on the board before Hooker got the Bombers on the board with the first of his 3 but it felt like the contest was over before it had really begun.

Very odd scenes at the opening bounce as Essendon’s young ruck Sam Draper was sent from the field by the controlling umpire to have his Guernsey replaced. Never knew this was a rule. Well, it isn’t and whilst it had no impact on the game it was a sign of things to come for Essendon, players leaving the field that is. Dixon rounded out the first quarter with his second and Port had a 5 goal lead that never looked like being challenged.

Port’s midfield had control as Ollie Wines continues his 2020 form into 2021 with a career high 38 disposals to go with 5 tackles and 6 I50’s, clearly one of Wines’ most dominant personal performances but it was the efforts of two young guns with their career best numbers that stood out the most.

Up front Mitch Georgiades showed what he’s capable of when he’s presented with the opportunities. 4 goals from his 13 touches with 8 marks and 2 tackles. We all love Todd Marshall and what he brings to the group and I think most of us have been waiting, very patiently, for Marshall to produce a 13 touch, 8 mark, 4 goals game and last week he looked closer than he had for a while.

A late blow in the North game must have left him a little rattled or was it just a like/like swap with Georgiades coming in? Who knows other than the coaches but it’s clear now ( I thought it was over summer ) Georgiades looks the more threatening option. Perhaps it was match ups as Dixon, Marshall, Ladhams is 3 genuine talls where Dixon, Georgiades, Ladhams looks more balanced. Might have been our first look at the squad mentality the club has spoken of over summer.

The stand out though and easily best on ground Zak Butters, he started well, kept going and finished well as he racked up 36 touches, 6 tackles, 6 clearances, 3 I50’s, 7 intercepts and a goal.

Outstanding afternoons work by the young man who is gaining attention from all over the football world. He’s quickly become the pick of the 2018 group ( I’m sure Rozee and Duursma will have plenty to say in the coming weeks and years ) but right now the line up to get into the Zak Butters Fan Club is huge and the ZBFC is reviewing its COVID management plan, numbers are swelling and they are swelling fast.

Again Motlop looked at home in the high half forward role, more so than a pure midfield role, Amon kept up his solid start to the year, Fantasia chipped in with 2 goals, Houston continued his form with 25 touches at 96% disposal efficiency. Drew did more than enough to keep Rockliff running up and down the boundary line for another week and Hartlett, Burton and Byrne-Jones didn’t have all that much to do as the Bombers only produced 39 I50’s to Port’s 62 for the match.

We’ll keep our powder dry though, admittedly breaking the 100 point barrier two weeks running is pleasing and it’s clear we’re going to score heavily at times but most sides at the pointy end of the ladder won’t have too much trouble dealing with Essendon and North. Two good tests coming up with West Coast away and Richmond at the Oval.

Boons best – Butters, Wines, Georgiades, Dixon, Houston, Boak.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:47 am

Ex-AFL player Fabian Francis jailed for at least 15 months for assaulting his wife multiple times

By Candice Keller from Heraldsun

March 31st, 2021 2:41 pm

For 10 years former AFL player Fabian Francis bashed and threatened his ex-wife Debra Buckskin.

Now he will spend at least 15 months in jail for his many vicious and violent attacks on her - some of which were perpetrated in front of their children, family and friends.

Francis played 86 AFL games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2001 before injury ended his career. He also played in the AFL for Brisbane Lions and Melbourne Demons.

On Wednesday the former star was sentenced in the District Court to four years’ jail, with a non-parole period of 15 months, for eight counts of abuse and threatening to harm Ms Buckskin, to whom he was married from 1999 to 2007.

In August a jury found Francis guilty of bashing Ms Buckskin in the face, threatening to stab her in the throat and threatening to injure her to such an extent that she would only be able to drink through a straw.

Today Judge Gordon Barrett said he accepted Ms Buckskin’s evidence and found that Francis initiated the violence during their relationship.

“For almost all of the 10 years you were together, you were domineering, threatening, verbally vicious and at times physically quite violent,” Judge Barrett said.

"The charge of assault occasioning bodily harm relates to you punching your partner in the face in the presence of neighbours, knowing full well the injury would be seen by family.

"In photos from Christmas 2000, Ms Buckskin has a black eye and I believe you assaulted her on that occasion.

"You were undeterred by the presence of others - by the presence of your children, her parents or by work colleagues.

“She couldn’t count on being safe at home … You did more than give her a back-hand.”

He said that Ms Buckskin did retaliate on occasion but attributed those actions to self-defence.

“I accept that throughout your time together she stood up to you and argued back,” he said.

"Sometimes she fought back.

“Perhaps if she had been more submissive you would have been less violent.”

However, he said that was not an acceptable situation either.

Judge Barrett agreed that Francis had only been violent during this particular relationship but that his behaviour was on-going.

“The charged acts should not be seen as isolated,” he said.

He commended Francis for his distinguished football career - during which he played 109 AFL games - and the many character references that claimed he was not a violent man.

However he did not find reason to suspend the sentence and Francis was jailed immediately.

Francis’ partner and mother of his four-month old daughter, Trish Gully, wept as the sentence was delivered.

Outside court David Stokes, for Francis, said they would consider an appeal.
Jim05
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am

Bit more to the Powell-Pepper story than what they've released....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:46 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bit more to the Powell-Pepper story than what they've released....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Come on then.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:46 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Bit more to the Powell-Pepper story than what they've released....

Go on...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:12 am

Booney wrote:

Go on...

If you search for Jack Watts file, i'm sure SPP's story is there somewhere...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Go on...

If you search for Jack Watts file, i'm sure SPP's story is there somewhere...

He also enjoys swimming :-?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Where's the weekly write up?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:23 pm

Port headed way out west for the first genuine test of the year and left with a disappointing “F” on the top of the test. Don’t ask what the “F” stands for.

Like all road trips for any club it’s important to start well and not have the home crowd in full voice early in the contest. Well, when Kennedy kicked the Eagles 4th goal at the 9 minute mark that was exactly what Port had done. Smashed in the centre clearances early and looking off the boil defensively because of it Port’s back half was helpless as the Eagles mids led by Naitanui, Shuey, Gaff, Kelly and Redden smashed Port’s inside mids and the contested ball numbers early were horror movie stuff. It didn’t get much better.

If not for Xavier Duursma, Boak and Houston in the first 30 minutes Port would have barely had the ball forward of centre. Duursma was the clear stand out in the opening quarter, worked hard into the second and left the field as Port’s best on the night, but there wasn’t much competition.

Lycett again struggled against a high leaping opponent, when he can get his arse in the way around the ground he limits the ability of the opposition ruckman to leap over him, but with the centre circle set up Naitanui jumped all over him and the Eagles mids got some easter eggs dished up early. Some of the ruck/clearance work of the Eagles was top shelf and one saving grace for Port Adelaide was it was the games premier ruckman to one of the games elite midfields that broke them to pieces.

If you’ve seen the Amazon doco it was clear why the Eagles were poor last year, their coach let them be. He says so much in the doco, how the hub is crap, how it won’t be any fun and his side played that way in 2020. New year, new attitude and the Eagles, particularly at home, are the road trip to test any team.

Right, the good.

Hard to find too much, Duursma noted above worked his backside off, Houston and Boak continued solid form, Georgiades looked again the most dangerous forward despite not having a huge night out and Gray got some quality ball at times. On that, it’s not balanced with Dixon, Ladhams, Marshall and Georgiades up front, felt like we were short on midfield options with Farrell being replaced by Marshall in the side. I doubt we’ll go into this week with the 4 talls forward of centre, it may have looked ok on the rare occasion we did get it forward with purpose but the midfield looked one down. Maybe that’s just how much they beat us up in there.

With such domination from the Eagles mids Dixon spent his night on the wing and at half back offering an avenue out of defence, McGovern, Barrass, Hurn and Sheppard lap that up, as does Jonas, Byrne-Jones, Clurey and Hartlett when you we win the territory game. We didn’t. They did. Hartlett looks like a bloke short of a preseason, with good reason, appears to be just off the pace and at this level that looks miles off. With a Miles ( Bergman ) off, it might be a tight selection squeeze this week.

Smacked early. Steadied the ship after half time but the damage was well and truly done by then and the 6 goals margin belies the contest. Should have been more.

Boon’s best – Duursma, Boak, Houston, Gray

Onto Richmond on Friday night.

Under pressure – Hartlett, Lycett, Marshall

In the mix – Bergman, Jones, Hayes
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Some of the comments regarding Ladhams from Port supporters were brutal. After Hayes’ effort last week he is surely close?
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:Some of the comments regarding Ladhams from Port supporters were brutal. After Hayes’ effort last week he is surely close?

Along what lines?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:Some of the comments regarding Ladhams from Port supporters were brutal. After Hayes’ effort last week he is surely close?

I thought Ladhams was ordinary, and whilst he's a good user by foot, there lacks synergy in the F50 with him.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Booney wrote:

Along what lines?
Soft, lazy, uncompetitive. Plenty expletives thrown in aswell.
From what I saw he didn’t look THAT bad but I haven’t heard too much complimentary stuff thrown out there
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Along what lines?
Soft, lazy, uncompetitive. Plenty expletives thrown in aswell.
From what I saw he didn’t look THAT bad but I haven’t heard too much complimentary stuff thrown out there

Yeah, well, I reckon they're off the mark and they'd be better aiming their disappointment at Lycett, Hartlett and Burton than Ladhams.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I thought Ladhams was ordinary, and whilst he's a good user by foot, there lacks synergy in the F50 with him.

Didn't work with the 4 talls down there, completely threw the balance out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:01 pm

Booney wrote:Onto Richmond on Friday night.

Under pressure – Hartlett, Lycett, Marshall

In the mix – Bergman, Jones, Hayes

Marshall kicked 3, I'm usually not an advocate for him but would think that's a pass mark when we struggled to hit the board.

4 talls was always going to be risky, especially for an early evening game, I'm not sure that we could afford to go in without Lycett, it hurt last time we tried that.

I thought we'd go down by about 4 goals, I realize that we choked according to the rest of the football world but we haven't been that convincing full stop, we've played North away and Essendon at home, we basically done some circle work and looked good doing it, these are the games that we need to present if we're heading anywhere this season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL