AFLW 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2022

Postby Robran » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:47 am

mots02 wrote:So with Erin now officially joining the Power, how many days will it be before the first campaign begins for the AFLW Power to wear the prison bars?

Does this now mean that the woman's side has also been around for 150 years + like the power ??
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Ange Foley joins Phillips at Alberton.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:19 pm

Booney wrote:Ange Foley joins Phillips at Alberton.

That one’s ok, she’s fallen down the pecking order this season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Eagles2014 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Brodlach wrote:

I don't think she played this year - recovering from ACL in the 2021 GF :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

I think you maybe right, McKinnon really improved and impressed this season

Not to mention she is 33
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:42 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Poor excuse.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Getting the leaders in place first, good move.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:09 pm

Will be a bit of GWS's mens strategy here I think, some experienced heads around a heap of kids
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 05, 2022 3:53 pm

Three-time Premiership player Justine Mules has informed the Crows of her decision to join a rival club.

The 27-year-old forward / winger was selected in the 2016 AFLW Draft and has since played 49 games, including Adelaide’s 2017, 2019 and 2022 Grand Final triumphs.

She was also crowned the Club’s Best Defensive Player in 2020.

Port Adelaide is thrilled to welcome tenacious midfielder Justine Mules, who has committed to the club for the upcoming NAB AFLW season.

The experienced 27-year-old played in three winning premierships for the Adelaide Crows and has notched 49 AFLW matches since her debut in 2017.

In 2020, she was named Adelaide’s defensive player of the year and placed third overall in the club’s best and fairest count.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu May 05, 2022 4:14 pm

See below for the compensation the crows will receive
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Trader » Thu May 05, 2022 4:57 pm

I get that the existing clubs won't be stoked losing players, but with 14 clubs expanding to 18, they were always going to have to lose a few players to enable to expansion.
What have the crows lost so far? Erin, Ange and Justine?
4 new teams out of 14 existing clubs means roughly 30% need to transfer over, or 9 off of your list of 30.
They've lost 3 so far, if anything, the crows should be stoked they haven't lost more.

If the existing 14 clubs don't lose anything, or get compensation for their losses, then the new clubs will be uncompetitive.
This isn't like when GWS came in and it was 1 club on top of 17.
4 on top of 14 is a scenario where all existing clubs will take a hit to enable to comp to grow.

For what its worth, I suspect the three signings Port have announced to date will do little to dent the dominance the crows have on this comp.
Port will be full of younger girls with little to now AFLW experience, they'll sit in the bottom half of the ladder for their first few years.
The crows have retained the majority of their guns, they'll be a force for years to come.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 05, 2022 5:03 pm

Port can sign up to 14 current AFLW players, with Tier 1 players getting around $38k per season it's fair to say it won't just be these 3 that Port take across. Hardly going to be easy to bring many in from outside SA for under $40k per year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu May 05, 2022 5:06 pm

From all reports the three crows they've grabbed to date are about all they are getting. Most of the crows girls are keen to stay.
I suspect Port will go after a few SA girls that have travelled interstate in recent years that may want to come home, but outside that they are going to have to rely heavily on the draft / direct signing of untried players.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 05, 2022 5:12 pm

Trader wrote:From all reports the three crows they've grabbed to date are about all they are getting. Most of the crows girls are keen to stay.
I suspect Port will go after a few SA girls that have travelled interstate in recent years that may want to come home, but outside that they are going to have to rely heavily on the draft / direct signing of untried players.

Should see them trying to get their heads around it on Twitter. It's an expanding competition with top end players commanding $40k per annum, amazing to think we'd target SA based women! Comedy gold. :lol:

It may be we only get the three from Adelaide, I doubt it though, I'd expect a couple of their fringe / depth to move across for opportunity too. We've clearly targeted some experience in Phillips as the midfield leader with Foley and Mules as the back half generals. You'd think an experienced forward will be high on the agenda now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu May 05, 2022 5:12 pm

Port can sign up to 8 Adelaide players
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu May 05, 2022 5:35 pm

Just let the new clubs not have a salary cap either

why not?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby stan » Tue May 10, 2022 7:16 am

Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:From all reports the three crows they've grabbed to date are about all they are getting. Most of the crows girls are keen to stay.

Should see them trying to get their heads around it on Twitter. It's an expanding competition with top end players commanding $40k per annum, amazing to think we'd target SA based women! Comedy gold. [emoji38]

It may be we only get the three from Adelaide, I doubt it though, I'd expect a couple of their fringe / depth to move across for opportunity too. We've clearly targeted some experience in Phillips as the midfield leader with Foley and Mules as the back half generals. You'd think an experienced forward will be high on the agenda now.
Booney, list manager?

I think so.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby mots02 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:

Should see them trying to get their heads around it on Twitter. It's an expanding competition with top end players commanding $40k per annum, amazing to think we'd target SA based women! Comedy gold. [emoji38]

Booney, list manager?

I think so.

Probably not officially, but AFLW will now be added to the agenda at his weekly coffee catch up with Richo.

#aflwlistoracle
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Tue May 10, 2022 12:06 pm

*clears throat*

Port Adelaide has secured marquee player Gemma Houghton’s commitment to the club, after six seasons with Fremantle in the NAB AFLW competition.

The star forward has booted 40 goals in 46 games for the Dockers and is considered one of the most exciting attacking players in the league.

Houghton is a huge coup for the club, with the two-time All-Australian admitting she felt relieved after making the decision to come to Alberton.

“I’m feeling like a weight has sort of lifted off my shoulders,” she said.

“I’m obviously very excited and very keen to get over there and can’t wait to catch up with Erin (Phillips) and the other players that have committed to the club already. In some ways, it’s definitely emotional for me. It’s a big change, but I’m feeling really happy with my decision.

“I wanted to challenge myself, take on a new opportunity and when I looked at the Port Adelaide list, the management and coaches in place, it just got me really excited. I’ll be surrounded by such strong women and being an expansion team, I’ve got my own career path to continue to forge.”

In a somewhat poetic twist, Houghton’s childhood was spent barracking for Port Adelaide in the AFL, despite being a Western Australian.

Originally a talented basketballer, Houghton found herself drawn to football when she responded to the open athlete talent search, ahead of the first AFLW season in 2017.

At Fremantle, the energetic personal trainer is affectionately nicknamed ‘Aunty’ – a moniker stemming from both her warm, maternal nature and Indigenous roots. The 28-year-old is a proud Yindjibarndi woman, with her father’s family hailing from the Pilbara region in the north of Western Australia.

“Through Fremantle and working different types of jobs in WA, I’ve worked a lot with Indigenous youth, so to come over to Adelaide to play, share my story and help Indigenous kids in another state is awesome.”

Port Adelaide’s head coach Lauren Arnell is thrilled to have Houghton join the inaugural women’s side.

“Gemma is an incredible player and we could not be happier for her to commit to Port Adelaide,” Arnell said.

“She is really experienced, successful, a two-time All-Australian and one of the most athletic players in the competition. She has a really nice leap, is very quick and has the ability to bring pressure and turn games around.

“Having very capable female leaders in our program is important to what we are building at Port Adelaide and we are so excited that Gemma will add to that, particularly in the Indigenous engagement space.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue May 10, 2022 12:30 pm

Don't forget Maria Moloney too!
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL