Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:59 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Vamos wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Thought Dante Visentini showed a bit for the Magpies last week and looks a good prospect, seen much of him Boon?

Just wait til he finds his peak, he will erupt.

That is awful Vamos

Not a larva of puns Brodlach?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Vamos wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Thought Dante Visentini showed a bit for the Magpies last week and looks a good prospect, seen much of him Boon?

Just wait til he finds his peak, he will erupt.

That is awful Vamos

Not a larva of puns Brodlach?

Clearly not, loves his 97 TE Magma though.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:24 am

Where is Port's depth at? Been watching a bit of them at SANFL level and you always expect to see some young talent but seems a distinct lack of growth down there, especially with a fairly low injury list at the club.

Form their top 7 disposal winners yesterday, only 3 are on their list - Mayes, Motlop & Schofield

The comparison at SANFL level to the Crows is stark, is it a concern Port fans?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:44 am

The Sydney Swans came to Adelaide Oval with impressive wins over Melbourne and Richmond under their belts and had 1000 goal super star Lance Franklin returning to the line up from suspension. Form and personnel suggested the 7th placed Swans would be too good for Port Adelaide and despite two early injuries Port Adelaide went on to upset the Swans by 23 points in front of 30,000 on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Once again the Power was out early. Reid, Franklin and Heeney (4 goals) started the game strongly and Sydney had the first 3 majors on the board before Zak Butters swooped and goaled to get Port going and did they get going. In the next 10 minutes Marshall would kick the first 2 of his 4 for the game and Connor Rozee kicked truly on the run as Port went into the first break 8 points for the good. It was the early work of debutant Brynn (Tes) Teakle getting his hands on some ruck contests in a promising yet disappointing debut and Ollie Wines that got Port going, despite the small lead Sydney were playing as Sydney like to do, Port had been efficient in front of goal but the game was mostly played on the Swans terms.

At the start of the second term the Swans had the first through Hayward, Marshall soon had his third and Heeney showed his class with the left foot snap on the run, the game was being played at a high level despite both sides upping the pressure and in the middle of the second term things evened out and the contest was now on. Nobody loves a contest more than skipper Tom Jonas, with young Swan Will Hayward streaming into an open goal after marking unattended the skipper threw himself into a tackle to dislodge the ball and rush a behind, it was about now I thought we had a chance. The Swans wasted some chances, 2.7 for the term to 2.3 and Port hold a narrow 4 point half time lead.

On a stunning winters afternoon the Magarey Room bars felt like pre-pandemic packed and the chat was around “Can we keep this up?”, can we what! In the first minute of the second half Dixon goaled from the line, Marshall nailed his 4th just as former Port ruckman Pete Ladhams entered the game for all the wrong reasons. He wrestled Jones to the ground resulting in a Powell-Pepper gift before losing the plot a bit with a gut punch to Wines resulting in a Dixon gift, with Burton and Bonner joining in Port had piled on 6 goals from 13 I50 entries before Sydney had gone inside their front 50.

It was 16 minutes of breathtaking football from Port and breathtaking stupidity from Ladhams. At the other end Aliir had Franklin under control, Byrne-Jones was on top of Papley and Reid had been pushed far and wide to have little effect, Sydney couldn’t get out of their back half and Port had it’s zone set on the back of some intense pressure. 18 tackles inside 50 (7 in the third ¼) making Sydney’s exit almost impossible and allowing the zone to lock down. From 17 points down early to a game high 42 points in front the game was over at ¾ time as Port held sway by 34 points.

With Butters ( knee ) and Teakle ( collar bone ) out of the contest Port was down a rotation, medi sub Xavier Duursma had come into the game before half time and he had some impact on the contest after struggling to break into the side and in the last 30 minutes Port ran out of legs in attack, the defensive pressure was still there but a goalless last quarter to the Swans 2 goals meant Port held on by 23 points.

3 numbers to highlight.

Port win the tackle count by 21 ( 72 to 51 ), we had 18 tackles inside 50 and scored 57 points from turnovers. Pressure. Pressure. Pressure.

Boon’s best – Wines, Marshall, Rozee, Bonner, Burton, Ladhams
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 am

Marshall keeps bobbing up. Ladhams played his best game for Port.

Look. I like the review, but it is too game focused. You got the crowd in, good, said the bars were packed, good, BUT, what was the food like?, What were people wearing? Was the music too loud? Kick on afterwards?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:59 am

Dutchy wrote:Where is Port's depth at? Been watching a bit of them at SANFL level and you always expect to see some young talent but seems a distinct lack of growth down there, especially with a fairly low injury list at the club.

Form their top 7 disposal winners yesterday, only 3 are on their list - Mayes, Motlop & Schofield

Low? 8 out on the weekend.

We have got Dumont, Fantasia, Lycett and McKenzie on the injury list, there's the experience. Pasini who was cruelled with an ACL just as he was pushing to get into the back half and highly touted first rounder from 2021 Josh Sinn on the sidelines with groin issues. So two mids ( Dumont, Sinn 1 young, 1 experienced ) two defenders ( McKenzie, Pasini 1 young, 1 experienced ) a lead ruckman ( Lycett ) and a small forward / mid ( Fantasia ) not to mention Boak and Gray.

If all were available Boak, Gray, Dumont, Fantasia and Lycett are in the side pushing ( probably ) Frederick, Mead, Jones, Duursma and Teakle out the side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:36 am

DOC wrote:Marshall keeps bobbing up. Ladhams played his best game for Port.

Look. I like the review, but it is too game focused. You got the crowd in, good, said the bars were packed, good, BUT, what was the food like?, What were people wearing? Was the music too loud? Kick on afterwards?

Food? You what mate?

People were wearing too much, some were just right for the sunny conditions though. ;)

The music? Port don't play songs after goals, we have atmosphere but the PA was too loud during the breaks.

Kick on? Planned on it but Mrs Boon enjoyed the Gin Expo too much. :(
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:49 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Where is Port's depth at? Been watching a bit of them at SANFL level and you always expect to see some young talent but seems a distinct lack of growth down there, especially with a fairly low injury list at the club.

Low? 8 out on the weekend.

We have got Dumont, Fantasia, Lycett and McKenzie on the injury list, there's the experience. Pasini who was cruelled with an ACL just as he was pushing to get into the back half and highly touted first rounder from 2021 Josh Sinn on the sidelines with groin issues. So two mids ( Dumont, Sinn 1 young, 1 experienced ) two defenders ( McKenzie, Pasini 1 young, 1 experienced ) a lead ruckman ( Lycett ) and a small forward / mid ( Fantasia ) not to mention Boak and Gray.

If all were available Boak, Gray, Dumont, Fantasia and Lycett are in the side pushing ( probably ) Frederick, Mead, Jones, Duursma and Teakle out the side.

Fair enough, going to be an interesting next 2-3 years of transition from the old firm and see if Port can reboot and remain a regluar finalist or if they will drop back for a bit
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:52 am

I think we'll sit 10-14th next year again.

Gray's last year this year, his replacement was meant to be Williams but he hasn't come on yet.

Dixon and Lycett both contracted for next year, I expect neither will get extensions. Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson look after the front and Hayes, Teakle, Visentini look after the ruck.

Boak I think plays at least 2 more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:04 pm

Booney wrote:I think we'll sit 10-14th next year again.

Gray's last year this year, his replacement was meant to be Williams but he hasn't come on yet.

Dixon and Lycett both contracted for next year, I expect neither will get extensions. Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson look after the front and Hayes, Teakle, Visentini look after the ruck.

Add De Goey to midfield/forward set up and it fills Gray's vacancy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:08 pm

DIdnt realise Dixon was contracted for 2023, wonder if they would consider cutting one of him or Lycett free as surely the guys you mentioned get 1st crack.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:

DIdnt realise Dixon was contracted for 2023, wonder if they would consider cutting one of him or Lycett free as surely the guys you mentioned get 1st crack.

I wouldn't, a spelled Lycett would be an asset, even more so by playing two ruckmen, something Lycett didn't get too much help with.

There's still room for Dixon, him missing forced Marshall to be a stronger forward, he is now reaping the fruits of this experiment.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:38 pm

Port's best win for the season. I thought they'd wilt in the second half but they stood firm. A gutsy effort.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:40 pm

Williams will be lucky to stay on the list from what I’ve seen of him, just don’t think he will make it.
Bergman is the one that is disappointing as I thought he looked more than handy but he has seemingly regressed
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Williams will be lucky to stay on the list from what I’ve seen of him, just don’t think he will make it.
Bergman is the one that is disappointing as I thought he looked more than handy but he has seemingly regressed

He was average again yesterday, having said that he spent a week of April in hospital with influenza, bound to take some time coming back from that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:30 pm

Booney:

Do you still think Lord has a future at Port?
DOC
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:31 pm

DOC wrote:Booney:

Do you still think Lord has a future at Port?

A big one, yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:35 pm

Play him now?
DOC
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:42 pm

DOC wrote:Play him now?

Part of what I mentioned above with Dixon and Lycett being contracted for 2023 complicates things for Hayes and Lord, more so Hayes now Teakle is here and looks promising.

I'd love to see Lord get a game this year, but I'd think Dixon and Finlayson would need to miss for that to happen and obviously I'd rather see them stay fit. Lord has just gone 20 in January and is in his second season on the list, he's added 9kg in two summers so he's got time on his side and I think next year he'll really push for some game time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:45 pm

I would think Hayes would be very tradable.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL