AFL in Tasmania

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL in Tasmania

Postby Booney » Tue May 02, 2023 4:19 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:Tasmania will enter a team in the AFL following a unanimous vote by the sporting organisation's presidents.

The team will join the competition in 2027 and play at Bellerive Oval in Hobart and York Park in Launceston.

If they join in 2027, you'd think they play in the 2026 VFL competition, so that means the 2025 draft will be their first talent grab.

2 more drafts ( 2023 and 2024 ) for North, West Coast and Hawthorn to bring players in before compromised drafts.

At least for these 3 clubs they will have been going to the draft well for 4+ years before drafts are compromised. Its other clubs like my mob Richmond & GWS that look like the drop off could be coming & if it does that trouble could come in those years.

True, North did get that #1 pick.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue May 02, 2023 5:15 pm

RB wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Amazing the Federal Govt has no money to spend but can stump up $240m for the oval
Are there some important votes in Tasmania?

Only blue bloods keeping the Libs alive.

That explains it then
Tasmania is very politically competitive, but in the three northern/central Tassie electorates, not in the two in the Hobart area, so I'm not sure there is that much of an electoral incentive to pour money into a Hobart stadium.

The North v South is a bigger problem
I used to manage one of their biggest entities because it had both north and south representatives on the Board and it was better for them that an SA person was managing it

I didn't tell them my mother was from Burnie...............
Later on when I did confess to someone, they said Burnie doesn't count in the feud
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:00 pm

Wonder how much the AFL are contrite the $2bn rebuild of the MCG. Going to only be 50-70k capacity for near on 3 years so Adelaide may even get a GF
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue May 02, 2023 10:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:Wonder how much the AFL are contrite the $2bn rebuild of the MCG. Going to only be 50-70k capacity for near on 3 years so Adelaide may even get a GF
Would have thought they have already contributed by filling the coffers of the MCC
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Armchair expert » Wed May 03, 2023 7:47 pm

This made me laugh
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby stan » Wed May 03, 2023 9:15 pm

This will be interesting, 2028 is a while away but that means the 2027 draft is a shit show.

For the bottom teams at the moment that gives us 4 drafts to get as much talent as possible. That's fine for some of us.

Teams about to hit the skids will get caught up on this.

Realistically, which current AFL players would be printed for a move in 2028?

Everyone keeps mentioning Jones from the Crows, however if the crowd keep improving like they are they'll be doing well by then, good chance he won't be wanting to leave.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu May 04, 2023 7:47 am

Will be interesting what leg up the AFL give Tassie.

We have seen the NRL on a couple of occasions find a way to assist the new clubs with hitting the ground running eg Melbourne Storm flag within a few years and the Dolphins currently sitting in the top 8. Even the Gold Coast Titans finished 12th out of 16 in their first season.

On the other hand the AFL have handed out all the draft picks in the world, but it never saw immediate success for either GWS and GC who used their draft picks in different ways. Both were completely uncompetitive in their first couple of years.

Gut feel is the AFL won't want a repeat of the lack of competitiveness shown by those two clubs so will give a Tassie side an even further leg up.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu May 04, 2023 9:04 am

whufc wrote:First AFL team to be named after a state not a city/town.

West Coast Eagles
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby MW » Thu May 04, 2023 9:07 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

West Coast Eagles

Not a state name
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Thu May 04, 2023 9:07 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

West Coast Eagles

mmmmm, not really a state either. More a hybrid name. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu May 04, 2023 9:08 am

Booney wrote:Tasmania will enter a team in the AFL following a unanimous vote by the sporting organisation's presidents.

The team will join the competition in 2027 and play at Bellerive Oval in Hobart and York Park in Launceston.

If they join in 2027, you'd think they play in the 2026 VFL competition, so that means the 2025 draft will be their first talent grab.

2 more drafts ( 2023 and 2024 ) for North, West Coast and Hawthorn to bring players in before compromised drafts.

The teams at risk are teams overrating their list right now, like Richmond. Teams in the middle of the ladder who have who are continually getting injured could be at risk as well, such as Carlton and Port. I think teams like Essendon and Adelaide are teams who are right now on the up with younger groups may be the teams to really prosper moving forward.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu May 04, 2023 9:08 am

MW wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

West Coast Eagles

Not a state name

Ah yep, um...carry on!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu May 04, 2023 9:13 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

The teams at risk are teams overrating their list right now, like Richmond. Teams in the middle of the ladder who have who are continually getting injured could be at risk as well, such as Carlton and Port. I think teams like Essendon and Adelaide are teams who are right now on the up with younger groups may be the teams to really prosper moving forward.

regards,

REB

Yeah agree, by luck or by plan i reckon the Crows have timed their run perfectly. On the up with a couple of realy good drafts for them, now have a couple more drafts to pinpoint their needs and then by 2028 should well and truly be talking premiership windows with an established squad.

Geelong are positioned interestingly, obviously they have gone all in on not trying to go through a rebuild stage and so far its been ultra successful. I guess they are going to have to continue down that path as the stars retire like Hawkins, Cameron, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith, Stanley, Stewart, Tuohy which will be likely on the cusp of the compromised drafts. I wonder if Geelong will need to push a couple out earlier than hoped to get as much from the next few drafts.
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu May 04, 2023 9:35 am

whufc wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Yeah agree, by luck or by plan i reckon the Crows have timed their run perfectly. On the up with a couple of realy good drafts for them, now have a couple more drafts to pinpoint their needs and then by 2028 should well and truly be talking premiership windows with an established squad.

Geelong are positioned interestingly, obviously they have gone all in on not trying to go through a rebuild stage and so far its been ultra successful. I guess they are going to have to continue down that path as the stars retire like Hawkins, Cameron, Dangerfield, Duncan, Smith, Stanley, Stewart, Tuohy which will be likely on the cusp of the compromised drafts. I wonder if Geelong will need to push a couple out earlier than hoped to get as much from the next few drafts.

We will do what we did last time. I think we gave Stevie J, Pops, Chapman and Kelly the nudge. Geez it hurt watching Chapman in particular run around in an oppo jumper. He was one of my favourite Cats of all time. I reckon a few Cats will finish up pretty soon. Don't reckon Duncs has much left, he's copping a bad injury every year now and he comes back a little worse each time. Stanley is near the end as well and for a similar reason. Hawkins and Dangerfield are freaks but maybe two more years for each. Non-Geelong people are only starting to realise now just how special Hawkins is. He is somehow getting better, the Benjamin Button of football, but obviously that can't continue for ever. I think Geelong have already begun to plan for the replacement of these guys with Whyte, Knevitt, Murdoch, Dempsey, Neale still under wraps. The acquisition of Ollie Henry has been massive and Bowes and Bruhn have only hinted at the value they will represent. Bruhn in particular looks very promising but needs some development. And don't forget, we go fairly well with Free Agency too so I don't think we will see anything too radical from the Cats.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 am

What chance this becomes an election issue in Tasmania in 2025 and Labor and Greens campaign on a platform of housing not stadiums???

This was alluded to on ABC News breakfast today.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby MW » Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 am

Smart politician would be able to argue the money generated by an AFL team in the state would be used for public housing
MW
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu May 04, 2023 10:18 am

MW wrote:Smart politician would be able to argue the money generated by an AFL team in the state would be used for public housing

What money? Expenditure (goods and services) go to the Feds, maybe some stamp duty and payroll tax not sure 100 - 200 people on their payroll will produce many houses.

Is this being owned by the Tassie government so will they scoop the profits?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 04, 2023 10:27 am

am Bays wrote:
MW wrote:Smart politician would be able to argue the money generated by an AFL team in the state would be used for public housing

What money? Expenditure (goods and services) go to the Feds, maybe some stamp duty and payroll tax not sure 100 - 200 people on their payroll will produce many houses.

Additional visitors from interstate?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby MW » Thu May 04, 2023 10:30 am

am Bays wrote:

Yeah you're right, Tassie govt chose to bring AFL to its state to f..k over it's residents...
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2023 10:46 am

am Bays wrote:

For starters an organisation that turns over about $55-60m is about to lob on their shores. Payroll tax from 40 blokes earning $15m between them ( by then with next TV deal ), AFLW, administration etc. There's going to be some high income earners entering their economy.

Add in 3000-6000 people heading down there every second week to support the visiting team and the potential to attract some international acts to perform in the venue and the revenue generated will be substantial.

Grow the size of the pie and the % of the pie used on housing increases with it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL