AFL in Tasmania

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL in Tasmania

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2023 10:47 am

Rik E Boy wrote:We will do what we did last time. I think we gave Stevie J, Pops, Chapman and Kelly the nudge. Geez it hurt watching Chapman in particular run around in an oppo jumper. He was one of my favourite Cats of all time. I reckon a few Cats will finish up pretty soon. Don't reckon Duncs has much left, he's copping a bad injury every year now and he comes back a little worse each time. Stanley is near the end as well and for a similar reason. Hawkins and Dangerfield are freaks but maybe two more years for each. Non-Geelong people are only starting to realise now just how special Hawkins is. He is somehow getting better, the Benjamin Button of football, but obviously that can't continue for ever. I think Geelong have already begun to plan for the replacement of these guys with Whyte, Knevitt, Murdoch, Dempsey, Neale still under wraps. The acquisition of Ollie Henry has been massive and Bowes and Bruhn have only hinted at the value they will represent. Bruhn in particular looks very promising but needs some development. And don't forget, we go fairly well with Free Agency too so I don't think we will see anything too radical from the Cats.

regards,

REB

Nobody cares.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2023 10:50 am

:X

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am

MW wrote:
am Bays wrote:
MW wrote:Smart politician would be able to argue the money generated by an AFL team in the state would be used for public housing

What money? Expenditure (goods and services) go to the Feds, maybe some stamp duty and payroll tax not sure 100 - 200 people on their payroll will produce many houses.

Is this being owned by the Tassie government so will they scoop the profits?

Yeah you're right, Tassie govt chose to bring AFL to its state to f..k over it's residents...

I'm not suggesting that at all

I dont deny there's going to be a growing of the pie and increased revenue into the state but a lot of that revenue will go back to the Feds as GST revenue. Yes Tasmania get more money back from GST raised in their state like SA, NT & ACT. But will the revenue this generates be the panacea that solves the social issues in the state that a significant proportion of the state are calling out.

With their Hare- Clarke voting system the opportunity for a cross bench that has to be negotiated with is far larger then in SA.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if this becomes an electoral issue in Tasmania
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby MW » Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 am

Yeah don't disagree that someone will use it as a political tool but think smart pollies will work around the noise.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 04, 2023 10:59 am

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:
MW wrote:Smart politician would be able to argue the money generated by an AFL team in the state would be used for public housing

What money? Expenditure (goods and services) go to the Feds, maybe some stamp duty and payroll tax not sure 100 - 200 people on their payroll will produce many houses.

Is this being owned by the Tassie government so will they scoop the profits?

For starters an organisation that turns over about $55-60m is about to lob on their shores. Payroll tax from 40 blokes earning $15m between them ( by then with next TV deal ), AFLW, administration etc. There's going to be some high income earners entering their economy.

Add in 3000-6000 people heading down there every second week to support the visiting team and the potential to attract some international acts to perform in the venue and the revenue generated will be substantial.

Grow the size of the pie and the % of the pie used on housing increases with it.
The stadium size worries me. I really feel it should have been a 30k stadium to tap into what I think will be a decent member base plus allow for 3-5k of opposition fans to travel down there.
A 23k stadium doesn’t seem enough when I heard a comment yesterday that they are aiming for about 20-22k season ticket holders from the first year. If only 1-2k opposition supporters can get tickets it’s not ideal. I would love to go there for our first game but I like to book hotels, flights and rental cars about 6 months out so it’s not that attractive if I’m not assured of a ticket. I think they are going to need to have a long lead in time for ticket sales
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2023 11:09 am

I'd have thought they'd build it to hold 20-25,000 on 70% +/- of the space and leave some as terrace / hill to allow for future expansion if need be. In time if needed build another stand for 5-7000 people taking it to 30,000 +/-.

The pipe dream of getting a stadium with a roof for $750m is just that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu May 04, 2023 11:21 am

Booney wrote:I'd have thought they'd build it to hold 20-25,000 on 70% +/- of the space and leave some as terrace / hill to allow for future expansion if need be. In time if needed build another stand for 5-7000 people taking it to 30,000 +/-.

Yeah, the budget is already going to blow out massively IMO.
No way they are getting a roof for $750m but it’s a condition of entry so someone is going to have to cough up the rest
Jim05
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu May 04, 2023 11:54 am

Booney wrote:I'd have thought they'd build it to hold 20-25,000 on 70% +/- of the space and leave some as terrace / hill to allow for future expansion if need be. In time if needed build another stand for 5-7000 people taking it to 30,000 +/-.

More chance of JHF playing for the Crows in 2024 than building a stadium without a roof let alone with with one for $750M. Double it.

We've seen it here - the cost blowouts with major projects. Another stick that could be used by the nay-sayers in 2025.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby RB » Thu May 04, 2023 1:53 pm

A counterargument would be that you may as well just use public funds to build public housing now, rather than use it to build a stadium and wait five or six years for it potentially to generate revenue for the state government.

At any rate, I tend to agree with AMB that the AFL team is unlikely to generate a significant amount of additional revenue for the Tassie state government.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 04, 2023 1:56 pm

RB wrote:

A counterargument would be that you may as well just use public funds to build public housing now, rather than use it to build a stadium and wait five or six years for it potentially to generate revenue for the state government.

At any rate, I tend to agree with AMB that the AFL team is unlikely to generate a significant amount of additional revenue for the Tassie state government.

If tourism alone doesn't increase revenue in the state I'll go he for chasey.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 pm

If people can't get a ticket then the only tourism will be internal apart from a thousand or so. That's nowhere near enough to make an impact really.
As has been said the stadium budget is not even close to the final cost.
The roof will be shade sails or tarps at that price.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Vamos » Thu May 04, 2023 8:30 pm

Plenty of stadium experts in here :-P
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 04, 2023 9:44 pm

Vamos wrote:Plenty of stadium experts in here :-P

That's the thing.
Anyone that can walk upright knows that's a fanciful figure.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby stan » Thu May 04, 2023 9:58 pm

tigerpie wrote:If people can't get a ticket then the only tourism will be internal apart from a thousand or so. That's nowhere near enough to make an impact really.
Dis you say tarps?
I know someone who can help you out with that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tigerpie » Thu May 04, 2023 11:27 pm

stan wrote:
tigerpie wrote:If people can't get a ticket then the only tourism will be internal apart from a thousand or so. That's nowhere near enough to make an impact really.
Dis you say tarps?

I don't reckon that barb's got any sting left in it.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2023 4:43 am

tigerpie wrote:
stan wrote:
Dis you say tarps?

I don't reckon that barb's got any sting left in it.

About as much as West Coast on any given weekend.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2023 4:46 am

Vamos wrote:Plenty of stadium experts in here :-P

Covid, war, Tasmanian stadium and political views, we’ve got it covered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 05, 2023 9:39 am

North and Hawks currently get millions every year for playing footy down there due to the tourism it brings, ive been twice in the last 3 years for footy but then toured the state afterwards. Having 11-12 games down there and having the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood travel there will be huge for Tassie economy.

I suspect the new team will no more than 15k of core fans that go every week (after the initial sugar hit), which leaves 10k of seats for opposition supporters.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3504 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:52 am

Dutchy wrote:

North and Hawks currently get millions every year for playing footy down there due to the tourism it brings, ive been twice in the last 3 years for footy but then toured the state afterwards. Having 11-12 games down there and having the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood travel there will be huge for Tassie economy.

I suspect the new team will no more than 15k of core fans that go every week (after the initial sugar hit), which leaves 10k of seats for opposition supporters.
I think it will go the other way and that Tasmania will have a waiting list for season tickets such will be the demand and only 2-3k seats max will be available to opposition fans.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 05, 2023 10:16 am

Would fill that with a family pass
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL