Making Their Mark

Talk on the national game

Making Their Mark

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:19 am

Has anyone watched the Amazon Prime doco on the behind the scenes running of clubs during the initial Covid outbreak?

A great insight, it follows these clubs around with a lot of focus on Dew, Betts, Sloane, Nic Nat and Betts.

Richmond
Carlton
WCE
Adelaide
Gold Coast
GWS

You can see why Richmond are so successful, well oiled machine as a club, Dimma is all class as a coach.
Dewy is a great talker and will end up as a successful coach, Matty Rowell's little cameo's made him my favourite of the show.
Adam Simpson is a hard man, it was unexpected.
Nicks has a lot to offer as a coach, I grew heaps of respect for him.
Leon Cameron is a Langer type, if Dewy or Nicks had his squad they would've been a far better club. He talks like Scomo.

It was great to see how little they knew of what was happening in what was the strangest season ever.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Re: Making Their Mark

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Adam Simpson is a hard man, it was unexpected.

Really? He couldn't have sooked it up more about going to Queensland, no wonder the Eagles crashed and burned in the last couple of years, he was the most interesting watch for mine in that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:51 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Adam Simpson is a hard man, it was unexpected.

Really? He couldn't have sooked it up more about going to Queensland, no wonder the Eagles crashed and burned in the last couple of years, he was the most interesting watch for mine in that.

Maybe that's where I seen the "hard" side to him, he always seemed angry.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone watched the Amazon Prime doco on the behind the scenes running of clubs during the initial Covid outbreak?

A great insight, it follows these clubs around with a lot of focus on Dew, Betts, Sloane, Nic Nat and Betts.

Richmond
Carlton
WCE
Adelaide
Gold Coast
GWS

You can see why Richmond are so successful, well oiled machine as a club, Dimma is all class as a coach.
Dewy is a great talker and will end up as a successful coach, Matty Rowell's little cameo's made him my favourite of the show.
Adam Simpson is a hard man, it was unexpected.
Nicks has a lot to offer as a coach, I grew heaps of respect for him.
Leon Cameron is a Langer type, if Dewy or Nicks had his squad they would've been a far better club. He talks like Scomo.

It was great to see how little they knew of what was happening in what was the strangest season ever.

Great call re: Cameron. Loves a spray. Was a dead man walking after the doco imho. He madeCognilio look like a bitch in the end
Dew betts Sloane = top blokes

Nicks no good imho. He was about to give the group a massive spray “you know the game plan we practice it everyday, but come game day you shit yourselves “

Then Sloane corrects him with “I don’t think they know it. Otherwise the mistakes wouldn’t occur”

Admittedly nicks did take on the feedback. Crows won next three games after the correction.

I had no idea NicNat was such a prick(in the nicest possible way). He was furious over The O’Brien phone incident I believe Simpson even said to NicNat “please don’t kill him this weekend”. He ends up giving O’Brien a new phone at the end of the game and everything ended well. But deep down……
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:39 pm

Had my first look at this over the last week. TBH I'm a massive sucker for an inner sanctum series having watched many of the US and English ones getting around. This has been as a good as any ive watched especially given i've seen/heard/know the stories alot better than i would when watching a US one for example.

About 4 episodes in and found interesting

-Been mentioned on here by many including myself there look to be a fair few out of shape WCE players. Interestingly back when the series was made Adam Simpson addressed this with his players as he felt the standards had dropped dramatically with the dietician being stood down as part of the covid cuts.

-Stephen Coniglio was probably not ready for the captaincy at that point. Missing rehab / recovery sessions is extremely poor by any senior player nevermind a captain.

-In the Crows videos was interesting to see Jake Kelly being a real vocal member of the playing group in meetings. Could have just been how it was edited but interesting to listen to him talk about the standards etc.

-As LM mentioned Hardwick is a class act, no surprise he went from having his job on the line to being a premiership coach. Has the ability to look internally first before making judgement. Great quality in a leader imo.

-Everyone loves Eddie Betts dont they.

-Struggling to deal with the Richmond president Peggy O'Neil typical Victorian centric club president.

-Nic Naitanui is an interesting personality, makes it clear footy isn't he's everything and refers to winning a premiership heap in the first part of the series. We will never see the best of him now because of his age but i wonder if winning that premiership was climbing Everest and he never had the same appetite to climb it again. Been there done that.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 pm

NicNat didn't play in the 2018 grandfinal
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:15 pm

Armchair expert wrote:NicNat didn't play in the 2018 grandfinal

Weird I swear he says on a few occasions about being a premiership player…..I’ll have to have a re listen coz obviously he didn’t lol
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:56 pm

Backs Shannon Hurn (c) Tom Barrass Will Schofield
Half-Backs Liam Duggan Jeremy McGovern Lewis Jetta
Centres Mark Hutchings Elliot Yeo Chris Masten
Half-Forwards Liam Ryan Jack Darling Jamie Cripps
Forwards Willie Rioli Josh Kennedy Mark LeCras
Ruck Scott Lycett Luke Shuey Jack Redden
Interchange Dom Sheed Daniel Venables Nathan Vardy
Tom Cole
Coach Adam Simpson
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:10 pm

whufc wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:NicNat didn't play in the 2018 grandfinal

Weird I swear he says on a few occasions about being a premiership player…..I’ll have to have a re listen coz obviously he didn’t lol
He injured his right ACL in round 17 and therefore missed the 2018 GF.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10329 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Yeah I understand he didn’t play now just thought I heard him say it a couple of times….
whufc
Coach

Board index   Football  AFL