Port Adelaide 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:55 pm

mots02 wrote:
am Bays wrote:Dave From Alberton is the nominated Chair of the Premiership T-shirt Design committee, no?

Committee?

Dave designs it. Dave approves it. Dave happy claps how good it looks.
IMG_3343.jpeg
IMG_3343.jpeg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby am Bays » Mon May 22, 2023 1:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
am Bays wrote:Dave From Alberton is the nominated Chair of the Premiership T-shirt Design committee, no?
If he needs to save some money I’m sure you have a few boxes of them in your garage still that could be re-printed ;)

The "1" is a little bit difficult to turn into a "3", though :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby DOC » Mon May 22, 2023 3:27 pm

I have this right Booney (from the review)?

Poo
Wee
Err
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2023 2:16 pm

Sunday could have easily been a banana skin game for Port Adelaide and one that could have caused a slip up on the back of a 7 game winning streak, up against an opponent licking some coaching wounds on an unhappy hunting ground all the while missing our two most important key forwards and our captain.

Instead it was win number 8 on the trot with a 10 point win over Richmond at the MCG placing Port Adelaide one game clear in second spot and importantly two games clear of 4th.

The opening goal came 5 minutes into the contest as Shai Bolton converted from directly in front, from here on in Port got our game going, particularly defensively. Richmond are missing some keys namely Tom Lynch who leaves a forward line light on for talls and Port’s intercept machine Aliir Aliir took advantage of that. Early on he, along with Lachie Jones who was capably handling Dustin Martin set up the Port zone and sent the ball inside 50 repeatedly where the make shift forward line scored from 50% of the entries, Richmond on the other hand were below the 30% mark often entering shallow and wide. 5 goals to Port to finish the term and that make shift forward line saw McEntee, Wines, Mead, Burton and Byrne-Jones hit the board. Two of those are normally deep in defence, two are usually on the fringe of selection and Wines doesn’t venture forward too often. Would like to note the strong 1-on-1 mark promising young tall Lord took against Balta. Standing shoulder to shoulder Lord held his ground, bumped Balta out of the drop zone and clunked it. Finishing his work would have been far more valuable but his signs are promising.

After quarter time the Tigers lifted their work rate particularly their pressure around the ball and caused several midfield turnovers some of which were the result of poor kicking by Port Adelaide exiting defence but the pressure caused those errors. Martin and Bolton goaled around five consecutive Richmond points, three of them very gettable and they’d rue the fact they missed them. They proved to be costly as they posted 2 goals 7 for the term keeping Port goalless with just 5 behinds, both sides had very gettable shots on goal and missed and it felt as though it would be very costly for one of them. Richmond got on top in no part thanks to skipper Nankervis, the dominated the hit outs, he hunted the body at ground level when not in possession and then hunted the ball when Richmond turned it over. His second term was inspired and Taranto, Prestia and Short went along for the ride.

The second half started in pretty greasy and scrappy conditions, underrated Willem Drew soccered through Ports first for the term, Martin held his ground to mark and goal while the man of the moment Zak Butters took his opportunity goaling from wide out defying the conditions that most others had struggled with. Impressive all day Taranto marked and goaled for the second time on the day ( on his way to 4 ), Ryan added another and Port had again been held, 2.5 for the term to Richmonds 3.2 and the magnets were shuffled again in the Port box. Burton had started at full forward and then gone back, Bergman had done the opposite, Jones had moved off Martin but one constant was Aliir giving Riewoldt an old fashioned bath. Just 8 points going into the last term and Richmond on the back of 5 of the last 7 goals had momentum.

Some early midfield dominance had Port rolling, 13 touches for Butters for the term, 7 to Rozee, 8 to Wines and Houston but that man Taranto added his third and the gap was just two points. Step up the big men. Lord, working hard without reward all day presented and did what all key forwards love to do. Hit up to mark, turn around and goal. The next ten minutes was good pressure footy until Finlayson who had been wasteful in front of goal did as Lord had done, marked and kicked truly. Clarke quickly responded but in another move seen during the day Horne-Francis, now resting forward, also took his chances when he marked and kicked truly taking the margin back to 17 points with time on looming. Taranto added a fourth to no avail, Port holding on by 10 points to make it 5 wins under 15 points in season 2023. Winning tough, undermanned and away from home, these are the wins that make a season.

Boon’s best – Butters, Aliir, Houston, Rozee, Horne-Francis and honourable mentions to Farrell, Wines and Jones who attacked the ball early and had his best game of 2023.

Changes v Hawthorn :

With Marshall expected to make his return, Jonas back from suspension, Boak a chance to return from injury I can see at least three changes. The cautious approach may see Dixon miss another.

In – Marshall, Jonas, Boak
Out – Jones ( unlucky ), Mead ( unlucky ), Rioli
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 29, 2023 3:03 pm

Agree with Lord, very happy with that clunk and yes, needs to get better by foot.

Booney wrote:Port holding on by 10 points to make it 5 wins under 15 points in season 2023.

6 by my count:

Rd 4 - 2 points over Sydney
Rd 5 - 14 points over WB
Rd 6 - 40 points over WCE
Rd 7 - 7 points over St Kilda
Rd 8 - 5 points over Ess
Rd 9 - 70 points over Roos
Rd 10 - 4 points over Melb
Rd 11 - 10 points over Richmond
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 29, 2023 3:05 pm

Trader wrote:Agree with Lord, very happy with that clunk and yes, needs to get better by foot.

Booney wrote:Port holding on by 10 points to make it 5 wins under 15 points in season 2023.

6 by my count:

Rd 4 - 2 points over Sydney
Rd 5 - 14 points over WB
Rd 6 - 40 points over WCE
Rd 7 - 7 points over St Kilda
Rd 8 - 5 points over Ess
Rd 9 - 70 points over Roos
Rd 10 - 4 points over Melb
Rd 11 - 10 points over Richmond

One of the edits I didn't change!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 29, 2023 3:29 pm

One of the few non Collingwood games I've watched this year because I thought Richmond would do the usual and win after changing coaches (plus it was pi$$ing down outside)

Richmond's disposal was terrible. Then I look at the match stats and it was up on their average and Port was down so obviously I dont watch them that much
Even Dusty was missing goals
Second quarter was great to watch - not
Tigers definitely not "the tigers of old". They would have won that easily in previous years
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby whufc » Tue May 30, 2023 8:32 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:One of the few non Collingwood games I've watched this year because I thought Richmond would do the usual and win after changing coaches (plus it was pi$$ing down outside)

Richmond's disposal was terrible. Then I look at the match stats and it was up on their average and Port was down so obviously I dont watch them that much
Tigers definitely not "the tigers of old". They would have won that easily in previous years

Age is catching up with him, he is no where near as clinical in front of goals as he once was.

Still a valuable player but on the down hill slope and rightfully so.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dirty dog » Tue May 30, 2023 8:49 am

whufc wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:One of the few non Collingwood games I've watched this year because I thought Richmond would do the usual and win after changing coaches (plus it was pi$$ing down outside)

Age is catching up with him, he is no where near as clinical in front of goals as he once was.

Richmond had 4 players under 24 and Port had 10
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Booney » Tue May 30, 2023 9:08 am

whufc wrote:

He's still got the power he's just not explosive anymore.

Contracted for 2024, does he play?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:09 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Dusty plays, but at which club?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Won’t be old enough for Geelong to pick him up
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby mal » Tue May 30, 2023 11:15 am

Dusty
The way the latest set of AFL umpiring rules are
He can push an opponent in the back and take a mark, yet he cant fend off a tackler with his hand
That hand-fend was his trade mark, when he was allowed he was rarely caught HTB , now he gets caught more often
As a consequence we see the sad short term demise of a very special footballer
He is a champ, and never write off a champ though
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 30, 2023 11:28 am

mal wrote:Dusty
He can push an opponent in the back and take a mark, yet he cant fend off a tackler with his hand
That hand-fend was his trade mark, when he was allowed he was rarely caught HTB , now he gets caught more often

I think he's still getting enough of the ball for what his role is this at this stage of his career.

According to AFL.com his goal accuracy is 41.9% this season vs a career average goal accuracy of over 50%.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 30, 2023 11:28 am

I think he's still getting enough of the ball for what his role is this at this stage of his career.

According to AFL.com his goal accuracy is 41.9% this season vs a career average goal accuracy of over 50%. Potentially that loss of explosiveness now means he's under pressure more often than previously.
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 30, 2023 12:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Won’t be old enough for Geelong to pick him up
Nah we'll get him just as Tassie enter

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 30, 2023 12:03 pm

whufc wrote:

According to AFL.com his goal accuracy is 41.9% this season vs a career average goal accuracy of over 50%. Potentially that loss of explosiveness now means he's under pressure more often than previously.
He missed a couple of easy goals on Sunday. I haven't seen enough of Richmond to see what other shots he's had. Whether they are set shots or hail Mary's

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue May 30, 2023 12:26 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
whufc wrote:

Understandable considering where both clubs are coming from the last few years.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 1213 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:
whufc wrote:

Another way of looking at it is:

Richmond had 12 premiership players, Port had 1.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 30, 2023 2:52 pm

am Bays wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:
whufc wrote:

Another way of looking at it is:

Richmond had 12 premiership players, Port had 1.

That doesn't suit the narrative :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL