GATHER ROUND - ROUND 5

Talk on the national game

Re: GATHER ROUND - ROUND 5

Postby Vamos » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:23 am

Booney wrote:Wingard requires surgery on his lacerated tongue.

That's as bad as I can think of an injury being.

Thounds therrible thor Thad
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:27 am

Armchair expert wrote:Memorial Oval Port Pirie is a lock to host a game

As much as i would love to see the country regions involved in Gather Round just can't see it happening.

With AO, Norwood, Glenelg and then Noarlunga/Elizabeth if needed there is simply no need to have games 2 hours out of the city away from the hive of action.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:11 am

With the Gather Round concept people seem to forget that there needs to be economical benefit for SA to showcase the State on and off the field. Part of the success is that the HUB remains in the CBD to build the vibe. Places like the Adelaide Oval, Norwood, Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbor and maybe even Mannum are places that interstate visitors will want to return to. I probably would also suggest Port Lincoln or Berri/Waikerie however they seem a bit too far away. Places like Elizabeth, Port Pirie, Pt Augusta, Whyalla and South Adelaide aren’t gonna happen as they aren’t really areas where interstate visitors will be coming back in droves.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:28 am

I was surprised how good Colanades looked a month ago in the original section on the ground floor.

Didnt spot a single piece of flannel, uggh boat or leggings. It was almost gentrified

The Summer House was a bit pricey for my custard tart though....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:38 am

The colonnades tavern been renovated as well planning for gather round 24
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:56 am

am Bays wrote:I was surprised how good Colanades looked a month ago in the original section on the ground floor.

Didnt spot a single piece of flannel, uggh boat or leggings. It was almost gentrified

You must've gone the day before dole day :D
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:03 am

tigerpie wrote:
am Bays wrote:I was surprised how good Colanades looked a month ago in the original section on the ground floor.

You can’t polish a turd…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5477 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:41 pm

From over in the East, I think most of the footy punters that didn't make the journey over, enjoyed Gather round as a TV festival.

The winner over here was local metro/country vic footy. For a number of comps, last weekend was round 1, and by all reports good crowds in attendance across the board.

I actually think Adelaide is the logical/central choice for gather round. Its a day's drive from Melb, and say country vic, even NSW. To stage it in say Perth, would rule out a good number who are prepared to drive, but not fly. I'd put Brisbane in almost the same category here.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:49 pm

tigerpie wrote:

Yeah it was a Monday, and in the morning. Too early for some after their Sunday Sess...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:30 pm

am Bays wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Yeah it was a Monday, and in the morning. Too early for some after their Sunday Sess...

bollocks, they would have been lining up waiting for dans to open up
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Vamos » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:36 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:With the Gather Round concept people seem to forget that there needs to be economical benefit for SA to showcase the State on and off the field. Part of the success is that the HUB remains in the CBD to build the vibe. Places like the Adelaide Oval, Norwood, Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbor and maybe even Mannum are places that interstate visitors will want to return to. I probably would also suggest Port Lincoln or Berri/Waikerie however they seem a bit too far away. Places like Elizabeth, Port Pirie, Pt Augusta, Whyalla and South Adelaide aren’t gonna happen as they aren’t really areas where interstate visitors will be coming back in droves.

Spot on, made me laugh when people suggested Elizabeth, nothing out there. Its all about location and its surrounds, infrastructure can follow. For me its the same as this year with an addition of the Barossa next year, somwhere central to a heap of Wineries.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:09 pm

Vamos wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:With the Gather Round concept people seem to forget that there needs to be economical benefit for SA to showcase the State on and off the field. Part of the success is that the HUB remains in the CBD to build the vibe. Places like the Adelaide Oval, Norwood, Adelaide Hills, Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Victor Harbor and maybe even Mannum are places that interstate visitors will want to return to. I probably would also suggest Port Lincoln or Berri/Waikerie however they seem a bit too far away. Places like Elizabeth, Port Pirie, Pt Augusta, Whyalla and South Adelaide aren’t gonna happen as they aren’t really areas where interstate visitors will be coming back in droves.

Spot on, made me laugh when people suggested Elizabeth, nothing out there. Its all about location and its surrounds, infrastructure can follow. For me its the same as this year with an addition of the Barossa next year, somwhere central to a heap of Wineries.

Clare will be as far away as they will ever go, hasnt the facilities and oval there just been upgraded? Not sure they have accomodation for the two teams?
Thats where the Barossa has the advantage with Novotel. I cant see it being anywhere but Tanunda, not sure what the AFL think of playing on Ovals with turf cricket pitches. Could we see drop in turf wickets at Tanunda? Anyone know what the cost is to drop in say a 4 turf wicket square?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Keefy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Vamos wrote:

Clare will be as far away as they will ever go, hasnt the facilities and oval there just been upgraded? Not sure they have accomodation for the two teams?
Thats where the Barossa has the advantage with Novotel. I cant see it being anywhere but Tanunda, not sure what the AFL think of playing on Ovals with turf cricket pitches. Could we see drop in turf wickets at Tanunda? Anyone know what the cost is to drop in say a 4 turf wicket square?
As already mentioned, the Summit at Mount Barker has a turf pitch, so that hurdle is already ticked off.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:12 pm

Keefy wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Vamos wrote:

As already mentioned, the Summit at Mount Barker has a turf pitch, so that hurdle is already ticked off.

Oh i wasnt aware of that, for some reason i didnt think they played cricket there

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:38 pm

Mate, you went down the wrong road and lobbed at Burnside by mistake.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:41 pm

Corona Man wrote:From over in the East, I think most of the footy punters that didn't make the journey over, enjoyed Gather round as a TV festival.

The winner over here was local metro/country vic footy. For a number of comps, last weekend was round 1, and by all reports good crowds in attendance across the board.

I actually think Adelaide is the logical/central choice for gather round. Its a day's drive from Melb, and say country vic, even NSW. To stage it in say Perth, would rule out a good number who are prepared to drive, but not fly. I'd put Brisbane in almost the same category here.

Brisbane is not a footy town. The game has grown but Brisbane is not a footy town. They are four straight losses away from drawing 15k at any one time. No one cares about the Suns. Go to the Suns game and you nearly outnumber those in Orange. Footy has been good for participation numbers up here but no way for a Gather round.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:55 pm

Gather Round 2027
Geelong

You know it makes sense
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:15 pm

Mightn't be going anywhere, reported on AFL tonight that the players association have stepped in and at this stage are not signing off on it happening again, surely common sense will prevail :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:24 pm

locky801 wrote:Mightn't be going anywhere, reported on AFL tonight that the players association have stepped in and at this stage are not signing off on it happening again, surely common sense will prevail :roll:

Did they say why they won’t sign off on it?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Vamos » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:23 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
locky801 wrote:Mightn't be going anywhere, reported on AFL tonight that the players association have stepped in and at this stage are not signing off on it happening again, surely common sense will prevail :roll:

Did they say why they won’t sign off on it?

Sounds like it was a success financially, probably looking for a piece of the pie.
Vamos
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL