The great Vic hope

Talk on the national game

The great Vic hope

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:09 pm

REB's Victorian 'Great Vic Hope' ratings

CARLTON

Absolutely no chance. With an untouchable coach, experienced players who don't want to play for the club and a largly untested base of youth, the Blues will have to wait at least five years before they can challenge again. The defence looks a real worry and having to rely on Fevola must be a concern for Pagan.

COLLINGWOOD

For some reason, I actually rate Collingwood. Their problems in the last few years have been injuries to key players like Anthony Rocca, Josh Fraser and Nathan Buckley. When this team has those blokes on the park players such as Chris Tarrant 'grow a leg' and become more regular contributors. Keep an eye out for Rusling this year. I think the Pies can go close to the eight next season but if Fraser and Rocca go down again, forget it. Remember that the Pies often get a juicy draw.

ESSENDON

Ever since the salary cap dismantled the awesome unit of 1999-2001, the Bombers have for some reason followed the Carlton path by picking up players such as Justin Murphy and Matty Allan. This year that theme is set to continue with the recylcing of Scott Camperole. Essendon's youngsters such as Stanton, Monfries, Laycock and Bradley got better with more gametime but this side still relies on Hird/Lucas/Lloyd/Fletcher. The Bombers have the softest draw going around next year but that may only get them to week one, week two at best in September. Heartbreak looms for this proud club.

GEELONG

The so-called Geelong curse is bullshit and the Cats will win the premiership within two years. Geelong has been steadily improving ever since Bomber Thompson came on board in the near disasterous year of 1999. The current generation of Cats will succeed where the 90's outfits have failed because they are not so reliant on a handful of stars, have a better defence and don't have to combat outfits of the calibre of 80's Hawthorn, 90's West Coast or the all conquering (salary cap cheating) Blues team of 1995. The defence is tried and tested, the midfield rotation is developing nicely and the lack of scoring power is a myth, the Cats led the league after 10 rounds in scoring. The Cats need a better run with injury to make their mark and will do so sooner rather than later.

HAWTHORN

You get the feeling that Clarkson is keeping the seat warm for a certain club legend down at Hawkland. Hawthorn have gone for their second consecutive clean out it seems so at least a few more years out the September action for the Hawkers I feel. Their game plan truly sucks. You need more skillful players, not less to progress with a high possession game plan. If the Hawks can straighten up then they will be on their way. Three years away from the eight.

KANGAROOS

Coach Laidley and the recriuting team down at Arden Street have fallen for the trap of overrating thier list. Filling the ranks with players such as Jade Rawlings, hot on the heels of the laughable acquistion of Lance Picconie is not a good look. They were found wanting against most decent opposition last season and they had a fair run with injuries as well. It's fine to beat Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton twice but those teams won't be there in September. The loss at home to an out of sorts Port summed it up really. Expect this lot to miss the eight next season. The wilderness beckons.

MELBOURNE

THE most puzzling team in the AFL. On their day the Demons are awesome, only for them to be downright pathetic the next week. With Byron Pickett and Brent Maloney in the side, they've finally got some mongrel. If Robertson's form can hold up and Neitz can get some fitness, you can expect an improved input from Green and Miller. Coach Daniher has been let off lightly considering the talent they had, but the draw did them no favours late last season. A genuine chance of winning the flag if they can become more consistent.

RICHMOND

On the way up at last. Richmond are about to make their mark but still have plenty of dodgy players on their list. A genuine flag chance can't be so reliant on one player as they proved to be when Nathan Brown had that horrible injury last year. With players like Delido, Tambling, Coughlan, Tuck and Krakeour though, the Tiges have pace and grunt in the midfield to deliver the ball to Richardson, Simmonds and Brown. Will strongly push for the eight next year but probably finish 9th again.

ST KILDA

Has the window closed on the Saints? At full strength they are one of the few teams that this Cat fan fears. However the weakness in ruck, and dwindling resources in defense may undermine the team that has just fallen short over the last two seasons. However if Kosi, Riewoldt, Hamill all remain fit then most teams will struggle to cover all three options, partularly with goalsneaks like Milne trying to snaffle the crumbs. The Saints will be doing it for Harvey but maybe this ship has sailed.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

The Bullies are so close they can sniff it I reckon. Dead stiff not to make a surprise appearance in the eight last year they will be a part of September this season. One of the quickest outfits going around they will welcome back Luke Darcy to the fold and have that necessary mix of youth and experience to be a success in the near future. No longer so reliant on the old firm, these dogs have grown a leg and now their bite is worse than their bark.

REALISTIC CHANCES AT THE FLAG

GEELONG
MELBOURNE
ST KILDA (still)

NOT TOO FAR AWAY

WESTERN BULLDOGS
RICHMOND

FORGET IT
The Rest.

REB's EIGHT (MINOR ROUND)

1. WEST COAST
2. GEELONG
3. SYDNEY
4. MELBOURNE
5. ADELAIDE
6. WESTERN BULLDOGS
7. PORT
8. ST KILDA

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:15 pm

So,St.Kilda a chance to win the flag from 8th,West Coast no chance from 1st,and the Snappy Toms to win one in the next two years?

I have got my sarcasm detector on,and nothing came up,for some reason I think you are being serious, BLAH HA HA HA!!!

Sydney,no chance?,Melbourne, YEAH RIGHT!,as much as I hate it,the Cows could be there.

The rest,even my mob,no hope.

(Troppo in the tropics mate?) :lol: :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:59 pm

Agree with most or at least much of you assessment there REB ... The Dee's SHOULD be a big threat but as you said, whoever knows which Melbourne team is turning up to play, and I'd expect Collingwood to be the big movers this year provided their better players can remain on the park!

Am starting to get this sneaking suspicion that almost everyone could be underrating the Swans coming off a flag a-la Adelaide 98 and they may well sneak beneath the radar for much of the year and then perform when it counts in September where they are proven!

I think the Crows could be the team to fall somewhat, coming off a year in which they were relatively blessed with injury, still appearing incapable of providing a threatening forward line and facing up to a season where they will have been placed under more scrutiny than previously by opposition coaches and tacticians.

For the Bombers, their reliance on the 4 you mentioned is unquestionable, but even with these guys on the park they are still somewhat vulnerable due to their lack of pace amongst the main ball-carriers ... They aren't short in the tough stakes but failure this year would surely demand some change amongst the playing group and as I see it they would need to get themselves into the draft early and would need to offer up the likes of the Johnson boys and Solomon etc, who have been great servants at the club, to do so ...
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:03 pm

Whoops, forgot another Melbourne-esque team in Fremantle ... Have a headstart in the talent that appears on their playing list despite a few holes which require covering, and will probably need to wait until Harvey replaces Connolly before they become legitimate contenders!
JK
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:06 pm

Booney wrote:So,St.Kilda a chance to win the flag from 8th,West Coast no chance from 1st,and the Snappy Toms to win one in the next two years?

I have got my sarcasm detector on,and nothing came up,for some reason I think you are being serious, BLAH HA HA HA!!!

Sydney,no chance?,Melbourne, YEAH RIGHT!,as much as I hate it,the Cows could be there.

The rest,even my mob,no hope.

(Troppo in the tropics mate?) :lol: :lol:

You Port fans aren't very good at reading are you? I was talking about the great VIC hope. Last time I checked, West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney were NON VICTORIAN teams. I honestly believe that the Catters are close and Melbourne at their best are a chance..obviously if the Saints finish 8th they won't win it but they are still a good chance for next season in my view.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:39 am

Well im sure the AFL will have something in mind to even things out. Probably some shady unpiring again will be back and probably worse this season than last.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:20 pm

OMG, another conspiracy theorist! Yep, it's all a wicked plot. Dimwitfreo couldn't organise a root in a brothel so drawing a rather large bow there Stanley.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Dimwitfreo couldn't organise a root in a brothel

regards,

REB

check this out then...

http://www.matera.com.au/historyofdockers/
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby stan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:10 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Dimwitfreo couldn't organise a root in a brothel

regards,

REB

check this out then...

http://www.matera.com.au/historyofdockers/

Whatever to say REB.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby spell_check » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:46 pm

That website and its' e-mail replies are GOLD!

Like this reply and that guys' response back:

You do know you will now be personally responsible for about 10,000 suicides over the next day or two!

Cheers
Frank

PS Please tell my wife and children I love them dearly.

(COMMENT: No don't do that.... 10,000 people would reduce the Freo membership down to 6,500. It's not what's best for the club)
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Sinbad » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:40 am

Constance_Perm wrote:
For the Bombers, their reliance on the 4 you mentioned is unquestionable, but even with these guys on the park they are still somewhat vulnerable due to their lack of pace amongst the main ball-carriers ... They aren't short in the tough stakes but failure this year would surely demand some change amongst the playing group and as I see it they would need to get themselves into the draft early and would need to offer up the likes of the Johnson boys and Solomon etc, who have been great servants at the club, to do so ...

Essendon have just completed one of their biggest player cleanouts in 20 years.
I agree that failure with this team this season could see a change by way of offering quality for quality in the trade process. Johnsons,Solomon etc etc. for players to fix our deficiencies. We may have been known as a slow midfield over the years but in a year or two it will be one of the fastest.
Sinbad
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:58 pm

Sinbad wrote:We may have been known as a slow midfield over the years but in a year or two it will be one of the fastest.

This process begun last year IMV.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:00 pm

Stanley. People have been sending this link to me for months but I haven't had a chance to scope it out yet as our work system won't allow me to view it. I've just got BB at home so I'll suss it out tonight. GOLD is a word often used to describe it so looking forward to seeing it.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:34 pm

Agreed Sinbad on the cleanout, I guess I was more suggesting, as you put it a clean out of "quality" players ... in the past two seasons they've really only moved in and out fringe players, many of whom couldn't even make another AFL list, for which you haven't received anything in return.

Not bagging your boys, just suggesting that sometime soon unless there is marked improvement, some Bomber fans might have to say goodbye to some of their favourite players ...
JK
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:14 am

While I'd love to agree with you about Richmond REB I think you might be slightly overrating us by suggesting we're a genuine chance...

Then again, you're spot on re. still having "dodgy" players on the list...but Twally is slowly getting rid of the weak and building a nice list for us...problem is, with the development of the kids coming through, a player like Richardson WILL need to be replaced in a few years, and I don't think a Pattison, Schulz, Moore, Hughes are ready just yet and nor may they ever be.

They're BIG shoes to fill...but I think Richo has a lot more of these to come yet...hopefully against Port especially...

Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Board index   Football  AFL