great goals from the past

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: great goals from the past

Postby hilly84f1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:39 pm

So Ironic
Eberts kick was only 24 hours after Gubby Allen famously kicked across Goal for Collingwood, allowing Simon Beasley in to mark and win the game on the siren for Footscray
2 of the best games you'll ever see
hilly84f1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm

hilly84f1 wrote:So Ironic
Eberts kick was only 24 hours after Gubby Allen famously kicked across Goal for Collingwood, allowing Simon Beasley in to mark and win the game on the siren for Footscray

IIRC, he was passing to Greg Phillips?
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby GWW » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:02 pm

I thought it was Phillips who kicked it, perhaps he called for it when he shouldn't have.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 am

Had another come to mind... only 5 or so years ago...

Glenelg Oval, Bays v Roosters. A Glenelg player had possession outside the 50 (ie at least 60 metres out if not further), far side, southern end. Right near the boundary. Don't remember if it was out of bounds kick in, mark or free kick.

We couldn't tell who had the ball. Bloke next to me said "who is that?" I replied, "I dunno, can't see the number. Looks a bit like David Mitchell".

The player promptly kicked the bejeezus out of the pigskin, sending it at least 70 metres in the air (allowance for hyperbole please 8) ).

Myself and my neighbour turned to each other and said simultaneously , "That's Mitch".

The ball continued on its merry way, splitting the centre. The umpire did not budge, and merely looked upwards to watch the ball as it passed over him at least halfway up the height of the posts. Players didn't even try to get a hand to it.

"THAT WAS MITCH!" we yelled to each other again as the hill erupted in rapture.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby smithy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 am

The best goal I have ever seen was Shane Radbone playing for Sturt 2nds at Adelaide Oval, 1987 I am pretty sure.
The pockets are/were deep and as he was in the kicking motion along the boundary line on the members wing received the compulsory push in the back from his opponent and it sailed through from the most impossible of angles.
smithy

Postby cargo_art » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Hodges 1996 Prelim was incredible, considering the distance out and the wind blowing out of the goal.

Bradley 1983 at Prospect - boundary line screw punt from outside 50 metres to set up victory

Rohan Smith at Thebarton 1989 snap from grandstand pocket
--------------------------------------------------
THE TORP - Retro Aussie Rules Footy Magazine
Search for us on Facebook, LIKE and leave feedback
--------------------------------------------------
cargo_art
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Pseudo wrote:One more:

I remember Gilbert McAdam standing out of bounds in the north-western pocket of Football Park, dodging opposition players (Roosters? don't remember that detail so well) charging at him while he held the ball valiantly over the boundary line, just in play; then taking a couple of steps inside the boundary before dropping the ball onto his boot and splitting the centre of the northern goals.

Ah, that old McAdam Magic....

I remember that goal well. It was in the last quarter of a night match on a Monday night between North and Central. It was either the first or second minor round game of the year. Gilbert McAdam had a very quiet night, he only had 8 kicks if my memory serves me correctly but he did three of the most mercurial things imaginable. I said to mates on Magarey medal night that if Gilbert gets votes in that game against North then he will win the medal. He duly polled I think one vote and the rest is history. There was some dispute as to whether he deserved votes or not, but we had to remember that the Magarey Medal is for Fairest and Most Brilliant and certainly even though he was a long way from the best that night he was certainly the most brilliant.

Having seen umpteen replays of Eddie Betts' goal on the weekend (thanks to the smalltown mentality of the Adelaide media) it brought to mind the goal spoken about above. Is there video footage of this particular piece of McAdam magic anywhere? I've trawled Youtube but come up blank.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Pseudo wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
Pseudo wrote:One more:

I remember Gilbert McAdam standing out of bounds in the north-western pocket of Football Park, dodging opposition players (Roosters? don't remember that detail so well) charging at him while he held the ball valiantly over the boundary line, just in play; then taking a couple of steps inside the boundary before dropping the ball onto his boot and splitting the centre of the northern goals.

Ah, that old McAdam Magic....

I remember that goal well. It was in the last quarter of a night match on a Monday night between North and Central. It was either the first or second minor round game of the year. Gilbert McAdam had a very quiet night, he only had 8 kicks if my memory serves me correctly but he did three of the most mercurial things imaginable. I said to mates on Magarey medal night that if Gilbert gets votes in that game against North then he will win the medal. He duly polled I think one vote and the rest is history. There was some dispute as to whether he deserved votes or not, but we had to remember that the Magarey Medal is for Fairest and Most Brilliant and certainly even though he was a long way from the best that night he was certainly the most brilliant.

Having seen umpteen replays of Eddie Betts' goal on the weekend (thanks to the smalltown mentality of the Adelaide media) it brought to mind the goal spoken about above. Is there video footage of this particular piece of McAdam magic anywhere? I've trawled Youtube but come up blank.

13 mins in:

https://youtu.be/iSMqklLNaI0
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Mon May 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Round 10, 1987, North v Centrals at Prospect. Peter Bennett takes a mark right on the goal-line in the last quarter at the southern end, with North comfortably in front.

Instead of going back over his mark to kick the goal from point-blank range, which everyone else within cooee thinks he's going to do, Bennett quickly puts the ball on the ground centimeters in front of the goal line and standing with his back to the goals flicks the footy through for a goal with his foot.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Having seen umpteen replays of Eddie Betts' goal on the weekend (thanks to the smalltown mentality of the Adelaide media) it brought to mind the goal spoken about above. Is there video footage of this particular piece of McAdam magic anywhere? I've trawled Youtube but come up blank.

13 mins in:

GOLD.

Thanks Wedgie.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:54 am

I guess it counts now since its in the past but Mark Evans goal this round was sensational. It wasn't just your typical dribble from the boundary but he roved the pack perfectly and timed it brilliantly. Crucial goal too as it put sturt in front for good late in the last qtr.

Go to YouTube to see it...literally 20 minutes from the end of the video or so.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby GWW » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:47 am

Fantastic goal from McAdam in that '89 video; I also really liked the 2 goals from Rohan Smith around 37 minute mark.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Keefy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Jimmy wrote:I guess it counts now since its in the past but Mark Evans goal this round was sensational. It wasn't just your typical dribble from the boundary but he roved the pack perfectly and timed it brilliantly. Crucial goal too as it put sturt in front for good late in the last qtr.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yka5o_KKO2k

This is the goal
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby JK » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:56 am

Keefy wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I guess it counts now since its in the past but Mark Evans goal this round was sensational. It wasn't just your typical dribble from the boundary but he roved the pack perfectly and timed it brilliantly. Crucial goal too as it put sturt in front for good late in the last qtr.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yka5o_KKO2k

This is the goal

Cracking goal, well worthy of a topic like this
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:47 am

Pseudo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Having seen umpteen replays of Eddie Betts' goal on the weekend (thanks to the smalltown mentality of the Adelaide media) it brought to mind the goal spoken about above. Is there video footage of this particular piece of McAdam magic anywhere? I've trawled Youtube but come up blank.

13 mins in:

GOLD.

Thanks Wedgie.

Great goal. Very good North Adelaide line up, I expect they went well that year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby JK » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

13 mins in:

GOLD.

Thanks Wedgie.

Great goal. Very good North Adelaide line up, I expect they went well that year.

If you could Elbow your way to a flag they would have been morals
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 pm

John Paynter v Port at Adelaide Oval in the wet 1988.
Absolutely magical moment, we were in the old John Creswell stand behind the southern goals. That stand was a perfect sound shell, the Sturt Cheer Squad had gotten in early and we were perched at the very back, with the brick wall directly behind us and the roof and seating extending away from our position, it was like sitting at the mouthpiece of the world's biggest megaphone. There were perhaps 70 of us in the SCS and when the rain came down the Port Cheer Squad decided they'd best sit in the stand too, and they took up position directly in front of us. Though they outnumbered us roughly 2 to 1, we had many more reasons to cheer on that particular day, and the explosion of sound emanating from our elevated position also gave us superiority in volume. There was a great satisfaction in having a much larger opponent, right in front of us, who couldn't help biting back, yet was getting drowned out while their heroes got hammered by ours.
It was from this position that we witnessed the goal. A ball came to rest in the deep south western pocket, just short of the boundary. Rain was pelting down and Paynter led the footrace to the ball. With an opponent right on his hammer, no time to pick it up, and no one to pass it to, he's soccered it at an impossible angle toward goals, and it has slid the entire way and somehow gone through dead center as the Port defense closed in on the shot.
Unbelievable. We went nuts and let our mass of Port friends know all about it.
Ran out winners by about 50 points. I think we wer a very good wet weather side in '88.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Hansen's goal last week gonna be very tough to beat for GOTY
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 pm

stampy wrote:without a doubt the best goal i have seen was tony mcguinness' goal against sturt at the bay in 1985, merv keane was running towards the ball in the scoreboard pocket, freddy made him look like an old age pensioner and sped past him and then without breaking stride dobbed a miracle checky

there is footage of this goal on glenelgs 1985 highlights on our wiki, dunno how to dig it out and put it up here, my 2 teenage boys were gobsmacked when i showed them about 3 months ago

Yep loved that one stampy.
Tony Halls was nearly as good!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby JK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 pm

tigerpie wrote:
stampy wrote:without a doubt the best goal i have seen was tony mcguinness' goal against sturt at the bay in 1985, merv keane was running towards the ball in the scoreboard pocket, freddy made him look like an old age pensioner and sped past him and then without breaking stride dobbed a miracle checky

there is footage of this goal on glenelgs 1985 highlights on our wiki, dunno how to dig it out and put it up here, my 2 teenage boys were gobsmacked when i showed them about 3 months ago

Yep loved that one stampy.
Tony Halls was nearly as good!

McGuiness kicked a cracking checks on the run in the 84' Prelim . Remember honking at the time we're cooked here because the Bays were well up bs about ms running over us at the time .. Thankfully it wasnt to be :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum