FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Favourite Norwood Player

Postby GWW » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

My side was often on the receiving end, but Norwood had a few very talented wingmen/half forwards in mid 80's, with Payne, McNeil and Richardson, not to mention Fosdike as well. Very silky and clever players.

They definitely struggled up forward though for the second half of the 1980's - most clubs I can think of a CHF (eg. Bennett, North; Kitschke, Sturt; Taylor, Woodville; D Smith, Port) that was a consistent performer, but Norwood struggled up there, and from memory tried various players there such as Balme.

Doug Smart was recruited to Norwood in 1990 from memory, had a bit of an impact.

Paul Weston in 1989, not sure if he played CHF, but overall he didn't seem to have that much of an impact, and was probably considerably past his best by then.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm

GWW wrote:Doug Smart was recruited to Norwood in 1990 from memory, had a bit of an impact.

Correct.

If Doug Smart ever did anything on the footy field, it definitely was in bits. I think North threw him in as a 'buy one, get one free' part of the Jarman deal.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Bit of an impact is very generous.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:15 pm

Wedgie wrote:Bit of an impact is very generous.

Very true, but in a literal sense he did take a 'bit' out of the turf at Prospect one day in 1989 IIRC. He went to kick a drop punt pass, dropped the ball, but missed his boot and kicked the ground instead.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Replace your divots....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby JK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:27 pm

GWW wrote:My side was often on the receiving end, but Norwood had a few very talented wingmen/half forwards in mid 80's, with Payne, McNeil and Richardson, not to mention Fosdike as well. Very silky and clever players.

They definitely struggled up forward though for the second half of the 1980's - most clubs I can think of a CHF (eg. Bennett, North; Kitschke, Sturt; Taylor, Woodville; D Smith, Port) that was a consistent performer, but Norwood struggled up there, and from memory tried various players there such as Balme.

Doug Smart was recruited to Norwood in 1990 from memory, had a bit of an impact.

Paul Weston in 1989, not sure if he played CHF, but overall he didn't seem to have that much of an impact, and was probably considerably past his best by then.

Yep, if there was a position we lacked in the 80's and possibly longer, it was a CHF in the days when they played "true" to the position. Think we ran Button, Thiele, Michelanney through there in the early 80's then after that we often went either under sized (Ducker etc) or looked to the great white hope like Archer, Millar, Buckley none of whom ever really made an impact.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:33 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.

From what I remember seeing in those days those Norwood sides seemed to mimic the fast running handball game style that North at the time were very good at executing, but never seemed to pull it off* as effectively. One handball too many and often getting in trouble as a result.

North had more physically hard players and many who were skillful ball getters or users that were physically tougher to ride the bumps .. As an outsider it was almost as though the Roosters drew a line in the sand after getting banged up by the Bay's in 86' and 87'.

At Norwood we had one of the toughest players in the country, but it's almost as though it stopped there and all the physical stuff was left to him. You've got to have hardness across the board to have a premiership capable team.

Yep, you don't have to be known for the courage or hardness, like a Macca, Hodge, Selwood, but when it's your turn to go, you've gotta go.

Curious that Neil Balme, given the player he was and the style of the successful Richmond sides, never seemed to address it in the mid-late 80's.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 pm

JK wrote:Reckon you are very, VERY close to the money mate .. Norwood really didn't have a decent full forward til Chris Prime Id say. In 1990 after a slow start we were on fire, beating North at Prospect, and the Bay's then Port at footy park in a strong run of wins, but it all fell apart late in the season. Whether the off-field issues I mentioned before had its part to play, but the injury to Weeding which basically finished him and some fall out from that (stories at the time that John Hall was blamed for it) saw yet another Norwood season unravel. I have absolutely zero doubt that our best was good enough that year. The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.

Never really knew the impact or talent Weeding had, just saw him like Doug Smart, not up to it and fell away, but must be wrong. What sort of injury did he have and what were the rumours?
Norwood to me seemed to fall away from 1989, beaten by South to break the streak, only made Elimination final, etc but that may be just an outsiders impression.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby spell_check » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Magellan wrote:Thanks spelly. Forgot about that 12 goal haul in 1988 - who was that against?

Always thought those Norwood sides of the late 80s were a strong full forward (with a fit Ducker lending support) away from really contesting for a flag. I guess the difference from the early 80s sides that netted a couple of flags was that they never really found a proper replacement for Neville Roberts (with all due respect to James Weeding ;) ).

Torrens
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:06 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
JK wrote:Reckon you are very, VERY close to the money mate .. Norwood really didn't have a decent full forward til Chris Prime Id say. In 1990 after a slow start we were on fire, beating North at Prospect, and the Bay's then Port at footy park in a strong run of wins, but it all fell apart late in the season. Whether the off-field issues I mentioned before had its part to play, but the injury to Weeding which basically finished him and some fall out from that (stories at the time that John Hall was blamed for it) saw yet another Norwood season unravel. I have absolutely zero doubt that our best was good enough that year. The other thing that let Notwood down in post 84' finals was that we didn't have enough mongrel across the board, and our game relied on too much handball, which fell apart too often under finals pressure.

Never really knew the impact or talent Weeding had, just saw him like Doug Smart, not up to it and fell away, but must be wrong. What sort of injury did he have and what were the rumours?
Norwood to me seemed to fall away from 1989, beaten by South to break the streak, only made Elimination final, etc but that may be just an outsiders impression.

IIRC (lol which might not be the case), we started slowly then ran home strongly in 89 finally falling (and comfortably) to North in the Prelim (3rd prelim exit in 3 years) .. Too little too late really. Weeding was fairly effective, but a back injury in 1990 meant we never saw him again. There were stories that it was the result of a collision with John Hall, presumably at training - Whether accurate or not I wouldn't know. Weeding was drafted in 89', although to be honest the VFL clubs weren't as adept at drafting back then, but there's no doubt he had ability, albeit looked unconventional much of the time. Only played 26 games for 74 goals which wasnt the worst return.

1990 we only made the Elimination, but after a slow start we were up there in the top 3 with some big wins against the pacesetters, for enough of the year .. Injury kicked in and our form fell away badly, to the point where something wasn't right off-field. We were easy pickings for South in the Elim.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am

From my limited observations of Norwood at the time, Weeding had way more potential than Smart, but was just injury plagued. Smart also got drafted by Brisbane (and I reckon he went up there too IIRC), which backs up JK's point that 'VFL clubs weren't as adept at drafting back then'.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Magellan wrote:From my limited observations of Norwood at the time, Weeding had way more potential than Smart, but was just injury plagued. Smart also got drafted by Brisbane (and I reckon he went up there too IIRC), which backs up JK's point that 'VFL clubs weren't as adept at drafting back then'.

Smart was an odd one .. His best was VERY good, but it wasn't on display often enough. Another unconventional looking player
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bulldogs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:24 am

Lester Ross
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:55 pm

The 60's player,I think Alan Killagrew once said
'he is the best bad looking footballer in the country'.
Not tall,a terrific team man, a courageous centreman who could find the ball but was not a pretty kick.
Well remembered at the parade.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum