What was the best game you ever saw (exclud grand final)

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

What was the best game you ever saw (exclud grand final)

Postby Fluffbag » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:26 pm

The greatest game I ever saw was this one, and I was behind the goal at the end of the game and even great players like Russell Ebert, can make a mistake now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McoLY8iK3Ns
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: What was the best game you ever saw (exclud grand final)

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Fluffbag wrote:The greatest game I ever saw was this one, and I was behind the goal at the end of the game and even great players like Russell Ebert, can make a mistake now and then.

Without opening the link, I know exactly which game you're referring to. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Magellan wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:The greatest game I ever saw was this one, and I was behind the goal at the end of the game and even great players like Russell Ebert, can make a mistake now and then.

Yeh same, cracker of a game too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Not the most highly skilled or anything like that but the best game i saw was when Centrals come from 6 goals down at three quarter time around 95-96 to defeat the Magpies at Elizabeth Oval (admittedly there was a strong breeze)

Either a few weeks earlier or after they did the same thing against North as well iirc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Fluffbag » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:45 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Yeh same, cracker of a game too

Looking back at that clip,

How great was Ian Day and Peter Marker as a commentary Team
No blood rule back then, think that was Dwayne Russell bleeding?
Harris certainly kicked a distance away from the man on the mark,
is starting your run up, stopping and starting up again allow today?
Those SAFM windcheaters was very popular back then
With the Brooksby Brothers, Michael Bennett, Gary Christie, Naley, Schneebichler and Harris, we should have done better with that team.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:31 pm

Coupla cracking games in 84' .. From memory the state game v Vic, Bays v South at Adelaide Oval, Norwood v Central 1st Semi
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Off the top of my head:

1989 Father's Day game North v Port, where North won by 4 points in front of 29,000-odd people; and
1990 First Semi final, Darren Jarman 9 goals 5 or 6 behinds from full forward in three quarters to single handedly beat South.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Fluffbag » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Magellan wrote:Off the top of my head:

1989 Father's Day game North v Port, where North won by 4 points in front of 29,000-odd people; and
1990 First Semi final, Darren Jarman 9 goals 5 or 6 behinds from full forward in three quarters to single handedly beat South.

I was at the 1990 game, was one of the greatest performances by one player I ever saw.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Postby Spargo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:04 pm

JK wrote:Coupla cracking games in 84' .. From memory the state game v Vic, Bays v South at Adelaide Oval, Norwood v Central 1st Semi

I remember being at that game at Adelaide Oval. Reckon Leon Twelvetree kicked one to put us in front & then Super took a mark in the goal square & goaled to seal it.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:Coupla cracking games in 84' .. From memory the state game v Vic, Bays v South at Adelaide Oval, Norwood v Central 1st Semi

I remember being at that game at Adelaide Oval. Reckon Leon Twelvetree kicked one to put us in front & then Super took a mark in the goal square & goaled to seal it.

Yep that's my memory from TWIW 84'.

Sturt and Port played a beauty on a Sunday at Adelaide Oval in 82'
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:39 pm

I am probably a bit older than most posters but the best game I have ever seen from a North viewpoint was the 1971 second semi final.

At the 18 minute mark Port led by 21 points. Notth in the next 12 minutes kicked 7 goals 1 to 1 goal 1 to win by 15 points. Barrie Robran played the best 10 minutes of football I have ever seen.

Incredibly 2 minutes before North's avalanche, Neil Kerley in the Channel 7 commentary box suggested that North move Robran onto the ball. Good thing they kept him at Centre Half Forward.
Last edited by robranisgod on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 pm

Most memorable game was the 86 first semi but was a kid at the time so how good a quality a game probably need others to comment.
Still like getting out the tape of the 84 GF, though wasn't there.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Adelaide Oval, circa 88, when Merve Keane took charge of Sturt. We were playing Port and this was the real test of where we were at.

http://australianfootball.com/seasons/s ... n/3/3/1988

We smashed Port. And I went there thinking we were going to lose simply because it was Port.

Then in Rd 19 we beat Port by a point I think when Jono got reported for striking Dilena.

As a Sturt supporter growing up during the late 70's, I didn't have a lot of "at game" success, apart from the above. I missed 2002 because of a mates' wedding, so dare I say, I still haven't seen much success in person.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:31 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Adelaide Oval, circa 88, when Merve Keane took charge of Sturt. We were playing Port and this was the real test of where we were at.

http://australianfootball.com/seasons/s ... n/3/3/1988

We smashed Port. And I went there thinking we were going to lose simply because it was Port.

Then in Rd 19 we beat Port by a point I think when Jono got reported for striking Dilena.

As a Sturt supporter growing up during the late 70's, I didn't have a lot of "at game" success, apart from the above. I missed 2002 because of a mates' wedding, so dare I say, I still haven't seen much success in person.

A couple of weeks prior to that Sturt came from about 4 goals behind in the last quarter to pip North by less than kick. Whilst it heralded North's premiership hangover, it also paved the way for Sturt's (brief) coming of age.

Reckon there was Sunday arvo game at Adelaide Oval later in 1988 where Sturt accounted for North comfortably in front of about 15,000, and with that one point win over Port in that Johnston v Dilena double header confirmed their finals credentials (reckon North lost to Centrals easily in the late game that day, with about 38,000 in total attendance IIRC).
Magellan
Coach

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 pm

V Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in '97. First time we had beaten them for awhile I think.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Fri nite game at Footy Park in 94 (Rd 1 IIRC) McRae kicks a goal from 50 m in the last minute to win the game against Norwood. Good close game all night.

the 12 000 crowd game at the Bay in 2008 was pretty good with Mouse's sealer in the last 2 mins and then Chambo dropping a sitter in the last 30 secs cause he heard Sammy Rudolph's footsteps
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Fluffbag wrote:
Magellan wrote:Off the top of my head:

I was at the 1990 game, was one of the greatest performances by one player I ever saw.

Yep, agree. All North had to do was kick the ball down there and Jarman would do something with it. 5 goal second quarter, and I he must've beat 5 opponents over the day.

The other thing that made the game memorable was the debuts of Peter Turner and Ben Hart, both aged 16, given North's injury toll at the time. And on the day IIRC Redden was ruled out during the week and Parsons was also injured in the first quarter, so Peter Bennett was swung into the ruck.

Magellan
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Didn't Jarman have a day out agaisnt South earlier that year at Adelaide Oval when he went forward??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:31 pm

am Bays wrote:Didn't Jarman have a day out agaisnt South earlier that year at Adelaide Oval when he went forward??

Correct, at Adelaide Oval where he also kicked 9 goals.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:34 pm

I remember a game, pretty sure it was 1988, North beat Port at Alberton. Close game, maybe a point or so, certainly less than 1 goal. Roosters missed the 5 that year I think.... so it was a memorable win, and a rarity down at Alberton. Magellan, Robranisgod, I will defer to you blokes if my memories of this one have gone a bit hazy over time...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum