run-through banners

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: run-through banners

Postby therisingblues » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:25 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Wouldn't get away with those today especially the top one!!!

Yeah I think so.
Why did they have a black woman hanging the geurnseys on the line? Is it the use of the word "Mama", or is there a stereotype about black washer-ladies or something?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: run-through banners

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:44 pm

A couple of problems with that banner.

First, there's the incorrect cultural juxtaposition of a traditional Afro-American washerwoman using the 100% dinkum you-beaut Aussie Hills hoist. A Yank wouldn't know the first thing about a Hills hoist.

Second, if I'm right in assuming it's the 1988 GF banner and the lady in question is 'mama', then I'm not sure what is being 'brought home to mama'. She appears to already have within her possession a magical premiership cup that produces jumpers with Hawthorn premiership years on the back, and one of these is the 1988 premiership jumper that is supposedly being brought to her.

Perhaps it should've read, 'Put the jumper on the Hills hoist, Mama, on the basis that you're holidaying in or have moved to Australia.' Probably wouldn't have the same impact, though. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum