run-through banners

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

run-through banners

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:58 pm

I just read this article on the ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-29/b ... er/7788194

Not a bad read, but like most modern football articles it maintains a wholly Victorian outlook. The historical aspect of the article in particular does not venture outside the greater Melbourne district.

Let us redress this glaring omission by recounting some of the best, or most infamous, run-through banner slogans and incidents.

To begin:

"It's been years since we've won a final, at least we don't wear pooncey vinyl" - Central v Norwood in a finals game during the lycra era.

"Just ******* win" - Woodville some time in the late eighties?

After Port's Judas act hit the headlines in 1990 most of the other clubs had messages of solidarity on their banners. "Today we fight, for SA we unite"

I reckon in round 1 of 1991 the Roosters' banner sported an anti-AFL message though I do not recall the details.

Give us some more....
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Re: run-through banners

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Ten years ago the SACA didn't like it when we referred to Jars unleashing his cocks. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Pseudo wrote:I just read this article on the ABC:

Not a bad read, but like most modern football articles it maintains a wholly Victorian outlook. The historical aspect of the article in particular does not venture outside the greater Melbourne district.

Let us redress this glaring omission by recounting some of the best, or most infamous, run-through banner slogans and incidents.

To begin:

"It's been years since we've won a final, at least we don't wear pooncey vinyl" - Central v Norwood in a finals game during the lycra era.

After Port's Judas act hit the headlines in 1990 most of the other clubs had messages of solidarity on their banners. "Today we fight, for SA we unite"

I reckon in round 1 of 1991 the Roosters' banner sported an anti-AFL message though I do not recall the details.

Give us some more....

We always called the banner a "race" when I was with the GCS in the mid 80's
Glenelg definitely had one in 86/87 at the Bay which read "Just win" - I helped hold it up 8)
One of the better ones I recall was the week after Norwood hosted Centrals late 80's and there was a big blue before the first bounce.
Centrals race the following week read "Norwood started it last week, we'll finish it in September".
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Spargo wrote:Centrals race the following week read "Norwood started it last week, we'll finish it in September".

Yep 1988, we bounced them in the Quali though (before a pantsing to Port, then a loss in the Prelim by about 5 points to your mob)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby csbowes » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Sturt's banner for the 1998 finals series, not sure if it was the GF...

"Sturt no longer the chopping block, now we wield the axe!"

Something like that... have a photo at home I think.

With the muscle man caricature holding an axe.

Paul Osborn's great work that year.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Spargo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:I just read this article on the ABC:

To begin:

Give us some more....

We always called the banner a "race" when I was with the GCS in the mid 80's
Glenelg definitely had one in 86/87 at the Bay which read "Just win" - I helped hold it up 8)
One of the better ones I recall was the week after Norwood hosted Centrals late 80's and there was a big blue before the first bounce.
Centrals race the following week read "Norwood started it last week, we'll finish it in September".

Yes, SCS called it a race also during that period and later. A banner was something that you hung on a fence, a race was something the players ran through.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LPH » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:03 pm

I always understood the 'Race' was the 'tunnel' or 'caged entrance' to the ground that the players ran out of.
I often stood in the 'Race' @ Footy Park before State of Origin Games.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:20 pm

It's one thing I've noticed with the North faithful who still to this day make the best banners in Australia is that the oldies call it a "race".

PS Will bet my house that North have a better banner/race for the Ressies than the Eagles tomorrow. Sturt might give it a shake though as they're pretty hard core.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Glad there is still a passion for them.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Wedgie wrote:It's one thing I've noticed with the North faithful who still to this day make the best banners in Australia is that the oldies call it a "race".

PS Will bet my house that North have a better banner/race for the Ressies than the Eagles tomorrow. Sturt might give it a shake though as they're pretty hard core.

Was there a banner/race today?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:56 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Wedgie wrote:It's one thing I've noticed with the North faithful who still to this day make the best banners in Australia is that the oldies call it a "race".

Was there a banner/race today?

FB_IMG_1474777510905.jpg
FB_IMG_1474777510905.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Not the usual standard but awesome effort from about 4 people only.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Good size too. See a lot these days that seem to have more height than width - not a fan.

Nice work Wedgie.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:01 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Good size too. See a lot these days that seem to have more height than width - not a fan.

Nice work Wedgie.

Don't give me any credit, I just copied the pic off facebook.
Our main organiser these days is moving to Cairns so there might not be any more.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I think that there might be some sort of size limit inposed by the AFL these days? Just thinking that because of the few races I have seen in the AFL they are quite tiny compared to the ones we use to make in the 80's/90's at SANFL level.
That North race Wedgie photographed is reminiscent of the ones made during that period.

Central I think made the best ones. During the 80's when they made a few finals, they actually pioneered "a curtain" which covered the actual race itself. On the curtain they'd have a different message to the one on the actual race, it hung in two parts with a divide down the middle, exactly like a stage curtain, and a couple of members of the cheer squad would tear the parts away as the Dogs ran on the field, revealing whatever inspirational message they had underneath the curtain. I think once they even had two or three curtains, each carrying a different message, the first two were for the crowd only, and the final curtain was always stripped away when the Dogs ran on the field.

I remember one final at Footy Park, it might have been Central as well, a huge gust of wind caught their race, and one pole was completely dislodged from the grips of those that attempted to hold it. The other pole remained in place, the effect was amazing. It was a long race, similar to the one in Wedgie's photo, one end was held up very well, the other end was at the mercy of the wind, and the pole was more or less horizontal as the wind continuouosly lifted it clear of the ground, then smashed into the Footy Park turf, again and again. I was quite young, so my memory might be playing tricks on me, but I recall that it was lifted as high as the pole could stand, before smashing to the ground. The crowd loved it as I remember, and there was one young fella that was laying on the ground, near where it kept smashing down. He wasn't hurt, but in the spirit of the day he looked as though he had a wry smile on his face, and he rolled away from what was, on reflection, a very dangerous place to be with that hefty bit of wood being tossed about in the breeze as it was. If anything, it was a testament to the strength of that banner. Veyr nice bit of work.

I don't know if we were the first to do it or not, but at Sturt we used to show the banner to all sections of the crowd for big games. A roar would go up from each section as they were shown. It made for a fantastic sense of occassion. Possibly a key element which blows away the bullshit in the AFL these days was that this was all the Cheer Squads' own idea. It was not choreographed by the AFL fun police, bought by a marketing company, underwritten by anyone, timed for an ad-break... any of that shit. It was as sign of a period in our collective histories where people were allowed to think for themselves at sporting events, and take a little ownership for themselves, an element extremely lacking in the game for the people today.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:21 am

This is my favourite race/banner :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnTOXSnjnT4

About 1:40 into the tribute.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 pm

A great banner for the premiership reserves team North Adelaide on grand final day.
Worth a goal or two,
well done Wedgie and the boys.
Also what an ovation the players received on their victory lap!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:30 pm

VALE PARK wrote:A great banner for the premiership reserves team North Adelaide on grand final day.
Worth a goal or two,
well done Wedgie and the boys.
Also what an ovation the players received on their victory lap!

Nothing to do with me mate, I didn't even go. Was organised by Justin McKay. He's since moved to Cairns so could be the end of an era for North banners.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:05 am

These 2 I still remember- always loved the second one.

helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Wouldn't get away with those today especially the top one!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum