Tribute to Peter Carey from 1987

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Tribute to Peter Carey from 1987

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Matt35 shared this on his facebook page and I thought a few people here would enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuCNwHg8T74&sns=em
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Tribute to Peter Carey from 1987

Postby Dog_ger2 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Fantastic Post.

I think a tear came.

Well Done.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Spargo » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:Fantastic Post.

I think a tear came.

Well Done.

Agreed.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Great footage of a champ during a great period in SANFL footy. Back in the days when the medal count went for hours.

Reckon the 1987 count was the one where comedian/ventriloquist (IIRC) Chris Kirby made some suggestive gags about a tryst between Graham Cornes and Gynnis Nunn, and got into a bit of trouble.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Peter Carey was a champ, I still feel embarrassed to this day that as a 17yo my car was next to Peters in the traffic jam for the 87 GF and I abused him, I've already apologised to Matt for that as he was in the car. Peter just smiled it off. Watching Peter and Mick Redden have battles in ruck was a thing of beauty that I've never seen anything like since, worth the price of admittance to a game alone. The fact he played such an amazing game in 73 which was probably the greatest game of all time at CHF and was still playing in GFs in the late 80s as the no 1 Ruckman is a testament to how amazing he was. Met him a couple of times and he's a true gentleman also.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Magnificent! Remember watching this as an 11 year old, and being allowed to 'stay up late'!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Magellan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:Peter Carey was a champ, I still feel embarrassed to this day that as a 17yo my car was next to Peters in the traffic jam for the 87 GF and I abused him, I've already apologised to Matt for that as he was in the car. Peter just smiled it off. Watching Peter and Mick Redden have battles in ruck was a thing of beauty that I've never seen anything like since, worth the price of admittance to a game alone. The fact he played such an amazing game in 73 which was probably the greatest game of all time at CHF and was still playing in GFs in the late 80s as the no 1 Ruckman is a testament to how amazing he was. Met him a couple of times and he's a true gentleman also.

I too gave Super Carey a spray that day, and also somewhat unnecessarily, although my outburst was just on half-time of the grand final.

He had clashed physically with Peter Bennett after Darel Hart took a free kick on the half time bell, which occurred toward the northern end where I was siting. Spurred on by two years of grand final frustration and fueled by a match winning lead, I let poor old Super have it with both barrels (clean, of course, I was only 14 at the time and would've earned the wrath of the old man). The Glenelg supporting lady in the row in front was not impressed, in fact she gave me the dirtiest glare - I guess she didn't want to stoop to my level in front of her little boy (who had brought a home made 'Ross Gibbs Mr Cool' sign). Why did I have a go at him? Because he was Glenelg's most important player, he represented the heart and soul of that team. In a way, it was a reverse compliment of sorts. You know the old saying, "people don't boo nobodys."

Carey was probably the Bays best player that day, never stopped putting in despite never really being in it. Close to best the year before, too. I recall him marking pretty much everything that came to the North half forward line, particularly in the second term.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:18 pm

I think we can all agree whether we're Bays fans or not he was a true champion of the game, no doubt about that.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:30 am

You blokes, giving Bays players rubbish on Grand Final day, don't you think they've got enough pain coming without adding to it?

I know I'm pretty hard* when it comes to acknowledging players from other clubs and their abilities, but there's no issues calling this bloke a star of the game and one of the best big men in our time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:57 am

Booney wrote:You blokes, giving Bays players rubbish on Grand Final day, don't you think they've got enough pain coming without adding to it?

I know I'm pretty hard* when it comes to acknowledging players from other clubs and their abilities, but there's no issues calling this bloke a star of the game and one of the best big men in our time.

Mate, I went to a high school with about 600 Bays fans and 4 North fans and was there for 85, 86 &87, I'll stick the boot whenever I can!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum