FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Not all black and white

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

Magellan wrote:What was Bradley doing playing reserves in 1983? He was an All-Australian that year.

Missed a significant part of the season on an Australian U/19 cricket tour of England (Ian Healy was reserve 'keeper)

He wouldn't have played the required number of league games so would've have qualified to play for the ressies. In the old days qualification for finals was based on how many games you played in the division above. I.e. play 14 league games (2/3rds of the season) you were ineligible for reserves finals.

Craig McRae was ineligible for the Glenelg U/19s in the 1992 finals because he played his 14th ressies game in the 2nd last minor round game of the season. Stilled played GF day in the Ressies though.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

Magellan wrote:What was Bradley doing playing reserves in 1983? He was an All-Australian that year.

Maybe something to do with when he returned from his cricket tour (remembering he only played half a season of league and finished top 3 in the Magarey IIRC).

Port were ordinary in 83' and missed the league finals, so upon his return maybe they were able to qualify him for the magoos?

EDIT: What AB said :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am

JK wrote:

Maybe something to do with when he returned from his cricket tour (remembering he only played half a season of league and finished top 3 in the Magarey IIRC).

Port were ordinary in 83' and missed the league finals, so upon his return maybe they were able to qualify him for the magoos?

EDIT: What AB said :D

Thanks JK and AmB, 'splains everything.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Magellan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked.

Honestly, how can you say that? Next thing you'll be telling whufc what his favourite brand of cereal is.

bennymacca wrote:Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits.

Barrie Robran and Garry McIntosh say hello.

That is a different era mate. I understood it back then.

Now it's the difference between 20k and 300k. And a professional career. You won't find too many passing that up.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 pm

whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Read a few of the excerpts they published on adelaide now. Some of it was very interesting, and i sympathised a lot with his mental health issues.

A few of the later excerpts made him sound like a spoilt brat though. Like he lived being a big fish in a little pond.

Different era mate, he simply didn't buy into boardroom franchises and simply wanted to be a Magpie playing for a club he loved at that loved him back, this is what gripes me about AFL supporters is that they can't see past the bright lights and realise it's not the bees knees to every person on earth

It would've been no different if I could choose to AFL footy or play Centrals I wouldn't hesitate to in my deciscion

Same as if West Ham relegated to division 3, there still my team I won't follow, support or be passionate for another team just coz west ham play in a lower division

He wasnt a supporter mate, he was a player. He wasnt forced to play for the crows. And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked. Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits. Its the reason hodges would have signed up for the crows too. Obviously he might have been a maggies man through and through and thats fine.

Seems like he couldnt handle the fact that he wasnt the king anymore. Obviously it could be taken out of context given I have only read the excerpts, but it seems like one minute he is saying how good he is, and the next he is saying how much pressure there is and if he failed it was someone elses fault. He played some very good games but when he didnt he seems to blame others (Cornes, Jars, etc)

Seems to be quite bitter about footy in general, which is sad.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... be96febeab

Mate I had two dreams as a kid, play for Centrals and West Ham, what division they were in was irrrelevant I just wanted to play to the u dogs chanting and walk out to bubbles

From what I understand Hodges came from a very strong Port supporting family and grew up well before the Crows were a business marketing plan

Yeah I get that. But if Man U came knocking with 5x the cash there wouldn't be too many turning it down.

Sentimentality is for the fans not for the players. In a professional era that is.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
MW wrote: I was wondering how long this would take to become a Port v Crows topic. Took a lot longer than I expected TBH...

I know, it's strange that someone would address a feature of the book.

Lol.

I think it's interesting that he held those views.

Was he taking some artistic licence when he said he was "spat on" by crows fans? If not it's the first I've heard of it.

And hey. If his heart wasn't in it then maybe the fans knew it.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:
He wasnt a supporter mate, he was a player. He wasnt forced to play for the crows. And if you say you would choose centrals over the AFL you are deadset cooked. Everyone wants to play at the highest level they can, not to mention the obvious monetary benefits. Its the reason hodges would have signed up for the crows too. Obviously he might have been a maggies man through and through and thats fine.

Seems like he couldnt handle the fact that he wasnt the king anymore. Obviously it could be taken out of context given I have only read the excerpts, but it seems like one minute he is saying how good he is, and the next he is saying how much pressure there is and if he failed it was someone elses fault. He played some very good games but when he didnt he seems to blame others (Cornes, Jars, etc)

Seems to be quite bitter about footy in general, which is sad.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... be96febeab

IMO, fairly disrespectful given all this unfolded at around the same time that he started to become more aware of his own demons.

In 1990, aged just 22, a remarkable year personally and team success wise, in among a group of blokes who made him feel comfortable, whom he felt comfortable being around and who knew ( John Cahill especially ) what he needed to be at his best then all of a sudden he's expected to be best mates with blokes from Brighton Road and Goodman Road who he couldn't stand and, more importantly, who didn't understand him.

But, like you said, you've only read the excerpts so it's hard to comment, or at least take the comments seriously.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:57 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
MW wrote: I was wondering how long this would take to become a Port v Crows topic. Took a lot longer than I expected TBH...

Lol.

Was he taking some artistic licence when he said he was "spat on" by crows fans? If not it's the first I've heard of it.

They weren't "Crows fans" then mate, they were Westies, Centrals, North, Glenelg fans, there was no such thing as a Crows fan at that point so I don't believe it was artistic licence.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:30 pm

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Booney wrote: what he needed to be at his best then all of a sudden he's expected to be best mates with blokes from Brighton Road and Goodman Road who he couldn't stand and, more importantly, who didn't understand him.

sorry but you have to be a right dickhead to hate a player just because he played for another club. hate the jumper and the player whilst they are wearing it? sure. Hate a guy because he is just a dickhead? sure. sounds like Jars was one to him.

But to hate a person just because they came from centrals or norwood? that is straight up dumb.

(btw ive boxed on with plenty of people in my time on the field. but doesnt mean i hate them off it. or when i was in development squads with them etc etc)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:17 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Lol.

They weren't "Crows fans" then mate, they were Westies, Centrals, North, Glenelg fans, there was no such thing as a Crows fan at that point so I don't believe it was artistic licence.

I remember buying into the Crowmania at first and was one of the 50k at the Essendon trial game

By the end of the first quarter I was done there was no way I could support a team that had David Marshall, Scott Hodges etc blokes I had 'hated' (as a fan)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:52 am

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote: what he needed to be at his best then all of a sudden he's expected to be best mates with blokes from Brighton Road and Goodman Road who he couldn't stand and, more importantly, who didn't understand him.

sorry but you have to be a right dickhead to hate a player just because he played for another club. hate the jumper and the player whilst they are wearing it? sure. Hate a guy because he is just a dickhead? sure. sounds like Jars was one to him.

But to hate a person just because they came from centrals or norwood? that is straight up dumb.

(btw ive boxed on with plenty of people in my time on the field. but doesnt mean i hate them off it. or when i was in development squads with them etc etc)

Who said he hated them other than you in your uneducated comments?

Benny, do you have any recollection of the feelings associated with the Port bid and Adelaide entry at the time?

Remarkable, in the context of this conversation, that you would suggest dickhead and dumb are appropriate.
Last edited by Booney on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 am

whufc wrote:I remember buying into the Crowmania at first and was one of the 50k at the Essendon trial game

By the end of the first quarter I was done there was no way I could support a team that had David Marshall, Scott Hodges etc blokes I had 'hated' (as a fan)

I was at the first game, as a Hawks supporter...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:19 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Who said he hated them other than you in your uneducated comments?

Benny, do you have any recollection of the feelings associated with the Port bid and Adelaide entry at the time?

Remarkable, in the context of this conversation, that you would suggest dickhead and dumb are appropriate.

Even the AFL bid aside, the footy landscape and culture was so different back then. Today, so many opposition players at any level of footy are mates off the field and hang out with one another, but it was pretty rare to happen back in those days. Some sides loathed others (was usually a mutual feeling).

Can't speak for other clubs, but those Port blokes back then lived in a pretty unique environment and were thick as thieves.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:38 am

JK wrote:Even the AFL bid aside, the footy landscape and culture was so different back then. Today, so many opposition players at any level of footy are mates off the field and hang out with one another, but it was pretty rare to happen back in those days. Some sides loathed others (was usually a mutual feeling).

Can't speak for other clubs, but those Port blokes back then lived in a pretty unique environment and were thick as thieves.

Yeah fair point. Probably shows how far the game has come in the last 25 or so years in terms of professionalism. Certainly had moved from a pure tribal type atmosphere to a more professional one.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Even the AFL bid aside, the footy landscape and culture was so different back then. Today, so many opposition players at any level of footy are mates off the field and hang out with one another, but it was pretty rare to happen back in those days. Some sides loathed others (was usually a mutual feeling).

Yeah fair point. Probably shows how far the game has come in the last 25 or so years in terms of professionalism. Certainly had moved from a pure tribal type atmosphere to a more professional one.

Yeah I think the game has moved in line with societal standards/expectations
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 am

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Yeah I think the game has moved in line with societal standards/expectations

The players back in those days would have come into contact with each other very rarely - on the field and the occasional state practice session. They wouldn't have known each other like they do today via things such as 'training academies' and draft camps that the good players get involved with from very early these days. Also, the fact that families have more than one car these days and can travel more plus the use of modern communications (such as social networking) means that players would now be very attuned to each other, their personalities and developing friendships outside of their clubs.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 am

Hodges has just spent all of 1990 ripping the Bays a new one, including in the GF (Cornsey infamously reminding the Port boys "they had no right" to win that on ) along with the '88 defeat over the Bays.

Then within weeks of the '90 Grand final Hodges was into the Crows squad with very few other Port blokes (Abernethy, Smith, Tregenza, Brown, Hughes) and was immersed into a franchise that's back bone was black and yellow, not blue, red and yellow.

Impossible to expect him to embrace that change or feel comfortable doing so.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 am

Dogwatcher wrote:The players back in those days would have come into contact with each other very rarely - on the field and the occasional state practice session. They wouldn't have known each other like they do today via things such as 'training academies' and draft camps that the good players get involved with from very early these days. Also, the fact that families have more than one car these days and can travel more plus the use of modern communications (such as social networking) means that players would now be very attuned to each other, their personalities and developing friendships outside of their clubs.

If you went to school in Glenelg area, you played for Glenelg, thus from Samboy Cup days you would be playing against the Port boys who grew up in the Port, or the North boys who grew up around North, there was no such thing as two lads who grew up in the same street and went to school together ending up at different clubs, it just didn't happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum