Vale.Ray Hank and John Mehaffey

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Vale.Ray Hank and John Mehaffey

Postby DOC » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 am

The Woodville West Torrens Football Club wishes to notify it’s members and supporters of the passing of past players Ray Hank and John Mehaffey.

Ray played 169 games and kicked 188 goals for West Torrens between 1946-1957, he was a 1953 Premiership player and also a Life Member.

John Mehaffey played 89 games for West Torrens kicking 250 goals between 1946-1951 and also coached Woodville before they entered the SANFL competition.

The Club offers it’s sympathy to both families of these esteemed past players.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: Vale.Ray Hank and John Mehaffey

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm guessing Ray Hank was a brother of Bob Hank?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Magellan wrote:I'm guessing Ray Hank was a brother of Bob Hank?

Yep, Bill too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby robranisgod » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Ray Hank was a very good player in his own right. As well as playing 169 games for Torrens he represented South Australia on 5 occasions. He kicked the vital final goal for West Torrens when they won their fourth and last Premiership by defeating Port Adelaide by 7 points in 1953.

John Mehaffey was a fine player for Torrens who played 89 league games and 4 state games.

He was also a good enough tennis player to play in four Australian Championships, the forerunner of the Australian Open. His best result was to finish in the Round of 16 in 1950 when he was defeated by Mervyn Rose. In other years he lost to Frank Sedgman and John Bromwich in the Round of 32 . Tennis fans would know the standard of player he played against.

John Mehaffey was also state table tennis champion. For many years he ran a Sports store in the city and also was a football commentator on the ABC.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DOC » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:51 pm

robranisgod wrote:Ray Hank was a very good player in his own right. As well as playing 169 games for Torrens he represented South Australia on 5 occasions. He kicked the vital final goal for West Torrens when they won their fourth and last Premiership by defeating Port Adelaide by 7 points in 1953.

John Mehaffey was a fine player for Torrens who played 89 league games and 4 state games.

He was also a good enough tennis player to play in four Australian Championships, the forerunner of the Australian Open. His best result was to finish in the Round of 16 in 1950 when he was defeated by Mervyn Rose. In other years he lost to Frank Sedgman and John Bromwich in the Round of 32 . Tennis fans would know the standard of player he played against.

John Mehaffey was also state table tennis champion. For many years he ran a Sports store in the city and also was a football commentator on the ABC.

Do you recall where the sports store was?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 pm

DOC wrote:
robranisgod wrote:Ray Hank was a very good player in his own right. As well as playing 169 games for Torrens he represented South Australia on 5 occasions. He kicked the vital final goal for West Torrens when they won their fourth and last Premiership by defeating Port Adelaide by 7 points in 1953.

Do you recall where the sports store was?

I am not completely sure.

Was John Mehaffey's sports store on Grenfell Street close to where City Cross is now? There certainly was a sports store there and another one on King William Street near where Southern Cross Arcade is now. One of them would have been McGregor and Clements. Rowe and Jarman in those days were on the other side of Grenfell Street roughly opposite the Adelaide Arcade. Much later they shifted across Grenfell Street to the location by Regent Arcade. Motley and Greer were on King William Street South of Victoria Square, Hughes and Loveday were in the Adelaide Arcade towards Rundle Mall and Bailetti's were in Hindley Street.

I know that I have gone off on a tangent but I am trying to help any old timer who can categorically state where Mehaffeys was.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 am

There was also Ebert and Weston in Grenfell Street as well, where the sushi train is now (at least I think it's still there)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Being laid up since new year
When did john mehaffey pass?
Cant get reliable internet in hospital to track down?

Did he spend time in New Zealand. I havent got my pc on me but for some reason this pops into my mind
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:Being laid up since new year

Did he spend time in New Zealand. I havent got my pc on me but for some reason this pops into my mind

He certainly did spend time in New Zealand. When North held their reunion for the 60th anniversary of their 1949 premiership, North invited the Torrens players to the reunion. Six players from that Torrens Grand Final side attended, but John Mehaffey sent an apology from New Zealand.

I don't know whether he was still living there when he died.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Mark_Beswick wrote:Being laid up since new year

He certainly did spend time in New Zealand. When North held their reunion for the 60th anniversary of their 1949 premiership, North invited the Torrens players to the reunion. Six players from that Torrens Grand Final side attended, but John Mehaffey sent an apology from New Zealand.

I don't know whether he was still living there when he died.

I have now found that he passed away on 10th December in Tauranga, New Zealand
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum