1981 SANFL season

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1981 SANFL season

Postby Magellan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Spargo wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:We should have a poll, which dominant season hurts most. Excluding AFL naturally. ;)

Glenelg would feature pretty promintently, as would Sturt for 78. Norwood nearly bottled it in 97 but reversed their second semi result. But Norwood last year would feature as well. Sturt in 98 worth a yodel as well as teams that should have won but didn't. Port 84?

As for high scoring the next year was pretty huge as well.

regards,

REB

North 1986.

Maybe.
I know North finished 3 games clear minor premiers but Glenelg had the best form heading into the finals winning 10 of the last 13 (after starting 3 & 6)

True, but North knocked off Glenelg in the second semi (after a slow start), and the Bays had a tough prelim the following week against Woodville, and IIRC some injury concerns (I think Stephen Copping was in traction days before the GF - is that correct?). I think a lot of the footy pundits at the time had North as a comfortable favorite on Grand Final day.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:00 pm

You’re right. North were red hot faves. Not many gave Glenelg a chance.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote: But Norwood last year would feature as well. Sturt in 98 worth a yodel as well as teams that should have won but didn't. Port 84?

regards,

REB

I am not denying that Norwood were red hot favourites last year and the first time I contemplated North winning was 11 minutes 30 seconds into the last quarter, but North were on top for 8 weeks of the minor round and Norwood for 5 weeks. The difference was that Norwood were on top for the last 5 matches and of course were minor premiers whereas North lost a lot of form once the wet weather set in.

Sturt in 98 were minor premiers but Port were definitely favourites on Grend Final day. Port had so many fringe AFL players who had qualified for them to play finals and the Port finals side was nothing like the side that played for much of the minor round.

I have stated before that Port in 1984 was possibly the weakest Port side to play in a Grand Final in the last 60 years. We will never know, but if Peter Carey hadn't been suspended in the first semi final, Glenelg may have beaten Port in the second semi. No Port supporter I know was confident coming into that Grand Final.

Port in 1964, Glenelg in 1975, Sturt in 1978, North in 1986, the Eagles in 1994, Central in 1996, the Eagles in 2015 and Norwood last year are the red hot favourites who have lost in my time.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Magellan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 am

What about Port in 1976? Minor premiers, won straight through to the GF, and played an injury plagued Sturt who came through the long way (for a side making the double chance).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote: But Norwood last year would feature as well. Sturt in 98 worth a yodel as well as teams that should have won but didn't. Port 84?

regards,

REB

I am not denying that Norwood were red hot favourites last year and the first time I contemplated North winning was 11 minutes 30 seconds into the last quarter, but North were on top for 8 weeks of the minor round and Norwood for 5 weeks. The difference was that Norwood were on top for the last 5 matches and of course were minor premiers whereas North lost a lot of form once the wet weather set in.

Sturt in 98 were minor premiers but Port were definitely favourites on Grend Final day. Port had so many fringe AFL players who had qualified for them to play finals and the Port finals side was nothing like the side that played for much of the minor round.

I have stated before that Port in 1984 was possibly the weakest Port side to play in a Grand Final in the last 60 years. We will never know, but if Peter Carey hadn't been suspended in the first semi final, Glenelg may have beaten Port in the second semi. No Port supporter I know was confident coming into that Grand Final.

Port in 1964, Glenelg in 1975, Sturt in 1978, North in 1986, the Eagles in 1994, Central in 1996, the Eagles in 2015 and Norwood last year are the red hot favourites who have lost in my time.

Easy when you're minor premier to label a GF result as a "choke", and many Norwood supporters feel that way about last season. Oddly enough I've never seen it that way. Being a fairly keen supporter I always felt we had some area's that could be exposed, and unfortunately for us, North were the best equipped side to do it and they delivered on GF day. Could argue some of our important players had poor days, but how much of that comes down to the opposition making it that way? Could then also argue that our biggest star player performed well above even his own lofty expectations. Whichever way I analysed it at the time, North were just excellent and too good.

Speaking with Port mates since we last discussed it, they always felt they were comfortable favourites in 84' - Wary of Norwood due to our rivalry, but pretty confident given 77', 79'-81', and 82' being Minor Premiers. Like you said RIG we will never know, but Port seemed to own Glenelg in big games until Cornes got there and I never considered them a genuine threat to Port that season.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby rd » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Centrals were red hot favourites against Sturt in 2002. Had won all 4 contests against Sturt that season -although Sturt were getting closer each progressive game. Centrals were reigning premiers where Sturt were in a 26 year drought but had collected 8 wooden spoons along the way. But in the GF Barnaby French was able to play and suddenly those big nasty Gowans twins weren't so big and nasty competing against him and went into their shells and Sturt kicked the first 7 goals of the game. Great Day !
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby mal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:56 pm

robranisgod wrote:
JK wrote:I was at the VFL Grand Final the day of the Preliminary Final. My old man and myself were both hanging to know what had happened at Footy Park, but there were no mobile phones or internet in the day, and Vic Radio didn't give a rats about any other footy comp. Late in the evening before the flight back home we eventually heard the scores read out on radio. WTF, we only kicked 4 goals?? :shock: :(

According to media reports and those in attendance, The Bays ended up with a 6 goal gale for the best part of 3/4's (not suggesting they weren't better than us that season anyway). Given we'd accounted for them late in the season and had come from the Elimination to the GF the previous year, we'd been quietly confident of doing it again.

As a young Collingwood/Norwood supporter it was a brutal day (although the VFL GF was a highlight I'll never forget irrespective of the result).

I was goimg to post something similar. I too was at the VFL Grand Final. I obviously wasn't hanging on the result of the SANFL but I was with the brother of a prominent SAFOOTY poster who was also an almost norMAL Norwood supporter. He was distressed when he heard the result, Norwood were favourite, but every media report and report I heard from those who went to the Preliminary Final was that the game was won at the toss. That's not to say that Glenelg weren't the better side, it is just what used to happen at Footy Park in September. Sides sometimes kicked with a gale for 3 quarters.
Glenelg suffered similarly in the 1974 Grand Final where the gale turned around during the game.

I have posted something similar ....
I had missed the entire 1981 season as was travelling the world
My last stopover ended up in Darwin[ I didnt find Ambays there]
I had a choice of a continuing romance in Darwin or flying home for this Preliminary Final
I chose the final [I can get romance anytime ...]

I arrived in Adelaide a coupla days b4 the Prelim final
So this was the first time I was to see NW play for the season
I went by myself and sat near the FP scoreboard

I watched in horror as GL led at quarter time
1/4 TIME
GL 6-6
NW 0-1
GL played well with a strong breeze
I sat there pondering about that it might NWs turn to score heavily
Pondering turned to utter despair, as it rained and the breeze did a complete turnaround
It meant GL were to have 2 uses of a strong breeze in the first half
HALF TIME
GL 11-8
NW 2-3
This game was over at half time
NW had the breeze in the 3rd quarter, and did outscore GL, keeping the seasiders scoreless
GL kept NW to 2 goals so would have been more than content with the 3rd qtr
3/4 TIME
GL 11-8
NW 4-5
The last quarter was the bays 3rd use of the breeze, grrrrr
NW did well to contain GL
GL 12-14
NW 4-7

It is to this very day the most frustrated Ive been at a football game
Even though GL won by 55 points, I maintain to this day, the winner of the toss would be the winner as things turned out
I estimated the breeze as about 5-6 goals in this match, if memory serves me correct
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

rd wrote:Centrals were red hot favourites against Sturt in 2002. Had won all 4 contests against Sturt that season -although Sturt were getting closer each progressive game. Centrals were reigning premiers where Sturt were in a 26 year drought but had collected 8 wooden spoons along the way. But in the GF Barnaby French was able to play and suddenly those big nasty Gowans twins weren't so big and nasty competing against him and went into their shells and Sturt kicked the first 7 goals of the game. Great Day !

Funnily enough a lot of Centrals didn't see this as a big a choke as it obviously was on paper.

I can't remember exactly but despite the good results we played poorly in the second half of the season and we hobbled into the GF with a heap of sore/injured players.

I don't remember the exact numbers but im sure we had about 2-3 changes to key position players from the second semi to the GF. I believe both Schell and Cowan missed through injury.

Sturt got the jump with a big breeze behind them and momentum played its part as Sturt were by far the better side on the day.

In saying that in 2004 we were on the opposite end of this absolutely smashing an Eagles side who carried a few injured players into a GF.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 pm

whufc wrote:
rd wrote:Centrals were red hot favourites against Sturt in 2002. Had won all 4 contests against Sturt that season -although Sturt were getting closer each progressive game. Centrals were reigning premiers where Sturt were in a 26 year drought but had collected 8 wooden spoons along the way. But in the GF Barnaby French was able to play and suddenly those big nasty Gowans twins weren't so big and nasty competing against him and went into their shells and Sturt kicked the first 7 goals of the game. Great Day !

Funnily enough a lot of Centrals didn't see this as a big a choke as it obviously was on paper.

I can't remember exactly but despite the good results we played poorly in the second half of the season and we hobbled into the GF with a heap of sore/injured players.

I don't remember the exact numbers but im sure we had about 2-3 changes to key position players from the second semi to the GF. I believe both Schell and Cowan missed through injury.

Sturt got the jump with a big breeze behind them and momentum played its part as Sturt were by far the better side on the day.

In saying that in 2004 we were on the opposite end of this absolutely smashing an Eagles side who carried a few injured players into a GF.

Was a weird season .. From memory Central, Sturt and Norwood sat well clear of all other sides by the end of the minor. But Central couldn't beat Norwood, Norwood couldn't beat Sturt and Sturt couldn't beat Central lol.

My mob fell apart as they often did in finals, but I remember rating Sturt and tipping them to upset the Dogs in the Granny.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Hondo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:45 pm

mal wrote:It is to this very day the most frustrated Ive been at a football game
Even though GL won by 55 points, I maintain to this day, the winner of the toss would be the winner as things turned out
I estimated the breeze as about 5-6 goals in this match, if memory serves me correct

Do we think in hindsight that Footy Park was more prone to weather impacting a result than other grounds due to its proximity to the beach?

I know poor weather is not location specific but when it turned bad down at West Lakes it played havoc.

I was at the 92 and 89 GFs and while I don't think the winners would have changed if it was a better day I do think those kind of conditions disadvantaged some teams more than others.

The 79 GF is another example.

Or am I suffering from selective memory?
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 am

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:

Was a weird season .. From memory Central, Sturt and Norwood sat well clear of all other sides by the end of the minor. But Central couldn't beat Norwood, Norwood couldn't beat Sturt and Sturt couldn't beat Central lol.

My mob fell apart as they often did in finals, but I remember rating Sturt and tipping them to upset the Dogs in the Granny.

Yeah that's exactly right.

I think we had beat Sturt 4 times during that season and on most occasions fairly comfortably. You always felt with every win against them we were getting closer to that loss.

Whilst it hurt on the day, probably the most gut wrenching of all the GF loses many at the club attribute the learnings from that year as a contributor to the next ten years of success. Almost the lesson we had to have.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Some of the pain of this year, repat just some was erased last year

Couple of other years pain was diminished too but the teeth nashing continues.... :evil: :evil:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:00 pm

So with no footy on over the weekend I did some SAFootballArchive binging on youtube

Specifically the 81, 85, 87 and 90 That was the season that was - yes 1990 I'm into S&M @Booney but couldn't finish it if you get my drift... same with 87. 86 GF was good to watch to the end though ;)

Some comments though on some of the players of that era which we all know all too well. However you wonder though the jaundive view of hindsight and memories of a simple better time were those players really that good especially wen compared to modern footballers?

The short answer is yes.

Ebert far out was he ahead of his time?? The 70s-80s prototype for the modern day rampaging bull midfielder who can pay inside and out. His commitment to go through the line of the ball with surety of hands and then disposal. He reminds me of the best player in the game right now (Dusty) and if he was born 40 years later you could see him dominate current footy in the same way.

Bagshaw Similar to Ebert but just silky smooth. Seemed to be in slow motion but just his balance and poise and at the same time just committed to the footy. Compared to Ebert he seemed more languid but to see him at pace drill blokes with stab passes, skill personified. Once again you could see him playing as the swing/outside mid.

Rebounding precision passes from the half back, release from defence as a mid or the 3rd fourth tall forward with his marking ability. So versatile for todays game. Would star.

Peter Carey. look I love the bloke, obviously but watching him I got a new appreciation over the weekend. Has there ever been a big bloke in the game who could consistently hit blokes left or right foot on the tit or to advantage like he could? Now Big blokes with good hands aren't uncommon but to find one who can kick like an elite midfielder left or right in footy well, Unicorns are more common.

I couldn't think of anyone in todays game who could do what he could do. Happy to be corrected.

What my weekend taught me was while the footy now is different and with advances in coaching, preparation, professionalism the game may be better and the average football is better but todays stars are no better than the stars of the past.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:15 pm

am Bays wrote:Ebert far out was he ahead of his time?? The 70s-80s prototype for the modern day rampaging bull midfielder who can pay inside and out. His commitment to go through the line of the ball with surety of hands and then disposal. He reminds me of the best player in the game right now (Dusty) and if he was born 40 years later you could see him dominate current footy in the same way.

God was bang on 6 foot in the old money and 90kg, in those days that was verging on a key position type physique. He was strength and skill all in one.

I missed his best footy but saw enough of his twilight years to know how brilliant he was.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Ebert far out was he ahead of his time?? The 70s-80s prototype for the modern day rampaging bull midfielder who can pay inside and out. His commitment to go through the line of the ball with surety of hands and then disposal. He reminds me of the best player in the game right now (Dusty) and if he was born 40 years later you could see him dominate current footy in the same way.

God was bang on 6 foot in the old money and 90kg, in those days that was verging on a key position type physique. He was strength and skill all in one.

I missed his best footy but saw enough of his twilight years to know how brilliant he was.

Didn't Ebert play a lot of his early career as a key position player? I thought his first game in 1968 was at centre-half forward (if I remember the Ebert section of John Wood's book 'SA Greats' on Magarey medalists from 1988 correctly).
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 pm

am Bays wrote:Bagshaw
Seemed to be in slow motion but just his balance and poise and at the same time just committed to the footy. Compared to Ebert he seemed more languid but to see him at pace drill blokes with stab passes, skill personified. Once again you could see him playing as the swing/outside mid.

Rebounding precision passes from the half back, release from defence as a mid or the 3rd fourth tall forward with his marking ability. So versatile for todays game. Would star.

Never saw Bagshaw play, but from what I've heard and seen in old footage there seems to be some parallel between him and Darren Jarman, in terms of the overall skills factor, the sometimes casual ease with which he would operate in heavy traffic, and the ability to play as a forward. Bagshaw probably more inside the Jarman was.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:57 pm

Magellan wrote:
am Bays wrote:Bagshaw
Seemed to be in slow motion but just his balance and poise and at the same time just committed to the footy. Compared to Ebert he seemed more languid but to see him at pace drill blokes with stab passes, skill personified. Once again you could see him playing as the swing/outside mid.

Never saw Bagshaw play, but from what I've heard and seen in old footage there seems to be some parallel between him and Darren Jarman, in terms of the overall skills factor, the sometimes casual ease with which he would operate in heavy traffic, and the ability to play as a forward. Bagshaw probably more inside the Jarman was.

I'm glad you didn't say he was hungrier than Jarman. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:25 am

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:

Didn't Ebert play a lot of his early career as a key position player? I thought his first game in 1968 was at centre-half forward (if I remember the Ebert section of John Wood's book 'SA Greats' on Magarey medalists from 1988 correctly).

In his first season he started at Full Forward and in fact in his second game he kicked 6 goals on Bruce Jarrett in the Anzac Day Grand Final rematch. He actually was dropped to reserve for a couple of weeks during the winter of his first season as he was adjusting to his first season of wet weather football. It doesn't rain much in the Riverland.
By 1970 he was playing centre and he made the state side and of course won his first medal in 1971.
In 1972 Fos played him at Centre Half Back and Peter Woite played a lot in the centre. Role Reversals. In the game at Prospect late in the year was the one time that he beat Barrie Robran and Port triumphed by about 15 goals. Barrie had his revenge in the second semi and Grand Final though.
In 1973 Fos had him all over the place and in one game late in the year at Norwood, he had Kevin Beswick in the centre and Ebert on a half forward flank. Suffice to say Norwood beat Port easily that day.
It was only when John Cahill took over that he always played Centre, which clearly was his ideal position.
Interestingly when he was at North Melbourne in 1979, Barassi sometimes played him a on a half back flank or even a half forward flank. At 30 and commuting from Adelaide he was probably just passed his absolute peak, but I would have thought he should have been played in the centre or on ball. He still did finish third in North Melbourne's best and fairest despite what I would call coaching blunders.
Last edited by robranisgod on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby JK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:17 am

robranisgod wrote: He still did finish third in North Melbourne's best and fairest despite what I would call coaching blunders.

Wow, that's a very interesting tidbit I wouldn't have picked. Ebert's time at North was just a smidge before I started following footy closely as a kid, but while he was always acknowledged as a champion player here in SA, all I seem to recall hearing of his time at NM is that he failed.

North would have had some fantastic players back then, so I would have thought finishing 3rd in their BnF would have been a mighty fine achievement.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:41 am

JK wrote:
robranisgod wrote: He still did finish third in North Melbourne's best and fairest despite what I would call coaching blunders.

Wow, that's a very interesting tidbit I wouldn't have picked. Ebert's time at North was just a smidge before I started following footy closely as a kid, but while he was always acknowledged as a champion player here in SA, all I seem to recall hearing of his time at NM is that he failed.

North would have had some fantastic players back then, so I would have thought finishing 3rd in their BnF would have been a mighty fine achievement.

He played all 25 games for North Melbourne that year. He polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes which was the third most by a North Melbourne player that year behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning who incidentally both were Brownlow Medallists.
Gary Dempsey finished in the top 10 in the Brownlow an astonishing 13 times.
I think that Ebert may have been soundly beaten in one of the finals which gives rise to the myth that he failed in the VFL but given the circumstances in that he commuted every Thursday, was 30 years of age and wasn't played enough in the centre, he certainly was no failure.

The attached episode of the winners shows the standard of the player that North Melbourne had. This may have been the final in which Ebert performed poorly because he doesn't get a kick until the third quarter or perhaps it had been an earlier final and he was interchange in this one. I am certainly not criticising him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTq9ND0Laqs
robranisgod
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum