R.I.P. PETER BEYTHIEN

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

R.I.P. PETER BEYTHIEN

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:24 pm

Unfortunately We lost Peter yesterday, succumbed to a lengthy battle with cancer.
A lot of people used to deride him, but for someone not as tall as most other ruckmen, he punched well above his weight I reckon,
a Bulldog legend & a really likeable bloke.
Last edited by gazzamagoo on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: R.I.P. PETER BEYTHIEN

Postby Wedgie » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 pm

He put up a damn good fight! I met his son Brad in Thailand 8 years ago and he told me then his dad was battling the big C.
RIP Peter, thoughts to his family.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: R.I.P. PETER BEYTHIEN

Postby DOC » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:26 am

PETER KENNETH BEYTHIEN
Central District footballer

Born: February 21, 1958, Woodville, South Australia

Died: October 22, 2020, North Adelaide, SA

CENTRAL District football champion Peter Beythien was the epitome of “red, white and blue through and through”.

The lanky ruckman, who played 285 games for the Bulldogs – second only to good mate Peter Vivien on 308 – grew up in Elizabeth Vale.

Father Ken made it a lifelong habit to clean Peter’s boots before every game day, while mother Nancy served on the club’s auxiliary committee for 42 years, resigning only last year.

The family was hooked on the Bulldogs from an early age.

“We all were, and are still,” Nancy, 85, says. “There’s nobody else but the Bulldogs.”

Nancy says she is very proud of everything her son achieved through his career.

“Peter’s sadly missed but it’s a fact of life,” she says.

“Peter had cancer for many years.”

Beythien grew up with twin brother Bruce and younger sister Kerri. He went to Elizabeth Vale Primary and the former Elizabeth Boys Technical College, now part of Playford International College.

He played his early footy at amateur club Central United, but soon loomed large on the Central District radar.

Beythien debuted in 1975 at age 17 and played at the club until his retirement in 1988. He won the best and fairest in 1977 and was a life member.

Central District chief executive Kris Grant said Beythien was “just a great, great clubman” who was known for his lumbering gait after breaking his leg as a youngster. This earnt him the nickname “skater”. Also known as “Thien”, Beythien was consistent without being flashy.

“You don’t play that amount of games if you can’t play,” Grant said.

He made a lifelong group of friends at the club, including former players Bill Cochrane, Danny Harrington and Peter Maksimovic, who spoke at his funeral. Beythien was well known for his undivided focus on footy.

Longtime friend Cochrane says he rarely drank or smoked and, once he crossed the white line, did not take too kindly to opponents attempting to joke around.

“He just concentrated that much on footy and on the game itself,” Cochrane says.

“The opposition must’ve hated the bloke.”

After his career ended, Beythien would catch up regularly with past players for golf tournaments, card nights and houseboat holidays.

The families would often be involved, including wife Janine and children Brad, Sam and Lisa. Cochrane remembers Beythien as a unique character who would talk to anyone when they were out.

“He was funny in his own quirky way as a bloke.

“He would strike up a conversation with anyone – bikies, transvestites or whoever.”

“Pete was a great ambassador for the northern suburbs.”

Because he didn’t drink, Beythien was more often than not the designated driver, and he would let everyone know when he was ready to leave. If you weren’t ready, you might have to catch a taxi.

“He’d say the bus is on the way,” Cochrane says.

“If you’re not on it, that’s it.”

Beythien was a strong family man and always supported his children in what they did. Even when Sam decided he wanted to play soccer.

“Pete had to get behind him and support him,” Cochrane says. “He did fundraising for the soccer club and threw himself in.”

The Bulldogs paid tribute after Beythien’s death.

“The club is deeply saddened with the passing of club great, Peter Beythien,” The statement read.

“His fight with this insidious disease was long and hard, but Peter was stoic throughout.

“He will be sadly missed by many in Doggy Land.”

Beythien also lost wife Janine to cancer while battling his own illness.

He is survived by Nancy, Brad, Sam, Lisa and three grandchildren.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum