Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Trader » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:49 pm

How old is Josh playing A-grade at Kensi?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Trader wrote:How old is Josh playing A-grade at Kensi?

Doyle?

Came from interstate I believe
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:59 am

Good to see Port Adelaide win 16's Reds & Whites, a glimmer of hope.

It would be great if someone could find a fix for their 14's and lower, you've really gotta feel for the kids and club seeing some of their results and how unappealing it must be for prospective players.

It seems all is well at the top end of the club, just getting kids out there is the problem, from experience their junior training structure is on par with any of the district clubs that I've seen.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Seems like it's all the usual suspects and old heads making runs. Would be nice to see a few youngsters step up
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby the smokey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Good to see Port Adelaide win 16's Reds & Whites, a glimmer of hope.

It would be great if someone could find a fix for their 14's and lower, you've really gotta feel for the kids and club seeing some of their results and how unappealing it must be for prospective players.

It seems all is well at the top end of the club, just getting kids out there is the problem, from experience their junior training structure is on par with any of the district clubs that I've seen.

ET must be travelling pretty ordinary to drop both games!
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Aeropti » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 am

Big weekend coming up. 5 teams that are 1-2 and could either go 3-2 and be right in it or 1-4 and be really pushing it uphill for the rest of the season at 1-4. You'd think teams 7 - 10 on the ladder - Adelaide Uni, Port, Adelaide and West Torrens would have been thinking finals at the start of the year.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Aeropti wrote:Big weekend coming up. 5 teams that are 1-2 and could either go 3-2 and be right in it or 1-4 and be really pushing it uphill for the rest of the season at 1-4. You'd think teams 7 - 10 on the ladder - Adelaide Uni, Port, Adelaide and West Torrens would have been thinking finals at the start of the year.

Teams only play 12 games in the whole season. Two of them this weekend!

16.66% of the season. A fair slice of it.

At least it looks like it won't be weather affected.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:15 am

Kensington 5-0
Glenelg 4-1
Sturt 4-0 *
TTG 3-1 *
Uni 3-2
NDCC 2-3
Adel 2-3
WT 2-3
ET 2-3
Port 1-3 *
Southern 1-3 *
Woodville 1-3 *
Prospect 0-5

* have had the bye

Two undefeated teams: Kensington and Sturt, who play each other this week

Weird that some teams have played 5 games out of their 12. Not even the end of October yet and the season almost half over!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:39 am

Tough day yesterday for the Port Adelaide Ray Sutton Shield team.

I must say, the spirit of the kids out there was exceptional, I watched the game and admired how much they all loved being out there, how hard they tried and their conduct when they were dismissed.

One lad was bowled trying to slog a slow rank full toss, a young Indian team mate when and met him on his way off and said "You just got bowled for a duck first ball off a full toss"
"Yeah, I know" he said as he laughed a little, the Indian lad put his arm around him and they walked off together smiling.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Tough day yesterday for the Port Adelaide Ray Sutton Shield team.

I must say, the spirit of the kids out there was exceptional, I watched the game and admired how much they all loved being out there, how hard they tried and their conduct when they were dismissed.

One lad was bowled trying to slog a slow rank full toss, a young Indian team mate when and met him on his way off and said "You just got bowled for a duck first ball off a full toss"
"Yeah, I know" he said as he laughed a little, the Indian lad put his arm around him and they walked off together smiling.

Saw one of their Under 14 teams playing a couple of weeks ago and they looked like little kids compared to the opposition.

10 and 11 year olds playing against 13 and 14 year olds. I guess they need to put a team out there but there's no chance for them to experience any success. They're doing their best

I hope they stick at it but it's a tough situation for them
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aeropti » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Kensington 5-0
Glenelg 4-1
Sturt 4-0 *
TTG 3-1 *
Uni 3-2
NDCC 2-3
Adel 2-3
WT 2-3
ET 2-3
Port 1-3 *
Southern 1-3 *
Woodville 1-3 *
Prospect 0-5

* have had the bye

Weird that some teams have played 5 games out of their 12. Not even the end of October yet and the season almost half over!

Kensington look the standout team at this stage. Very well balanced side only slight weakness is a spinner perhaps now Pope is playing for the shield side. Prospect to be 0-5 after the investments made in the off season is a disaster for them.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:58 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Saw one of their Under 14 teams playing a couple of weeks ago and they looked like little kids compared to the opposition.

10 and 11 year olds playing against 13 and 14 year olds. I guess they need to put a team out there but there's no chance for them to experience any success. They're doing their best

I hope they stick at it but it's a tough situation for them

Yep, going to be tough now they're hitting some two dayers.

You'd think it would be a go-to club for those kids on the cups of reds but getting a regular whites game.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Aeropti wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Kensington 5-0
Glenelg 4-1
Sturt 4-0 *
TTG 3-1 *
Uni 3-2
NDCC 2-3
Adel 2-3
WT 2-3
ET 2-3
Port 1-3 *
Southern 1-3 *
Woodville 1-3 *
Prospect 0-5

* have had the bye

Kensington look the standout team at this stage. Very well balanced side only slight weakness is a spinner perhaps now Pope is playing for the shield side. Prospect to be 0-5 after the investments made in the off season is a disaster for them.

The way the draw is done this year going to be very hard to make up ground. I think already down to five teams only, Kensy, Glenelg, Sturt, TTG and Uni. Other teams going to be playing catch up all season.

Having seen Prospect on weekend, the way their captain speaks to his teammates is very ordinary, not sure would have too much respect from them. May be waste of $30k if players get sick of that and leave!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Is Braeden Renshaw playing this season?

Most under-rated bowler in grade cricket!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Jake Winter 176 in a one dayer yesterday against Adelaide :shock:

Can't remember a score higher than that in a one day game

Port's Womens A Grade team had to forfeit again. I wonder if they will pull the pin on the season? Some symmetry with the men's comp if we can get a bye in the program! :D
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Is Braeden Renshaw playing this season?

Most under-rated bowler in grade cricket!

Unfortunately not!

Trent Kelly agreed with you, said he was best pace bowler in the comp. He got him added to the Emerging Redbacks during last season, ironically his form went off after that for rest of year. But at 28 he may be bit old to make it.

Gets very good coin playing footy in the Hills, just got married, so cricket was the thing to go. With Spencer Johnson injured, our bowling has taken a hit again like last year.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Port's Womens A Grade team had to forfeit again. I wonder if they will pull the pin on the season? Some symmetry with the men's comp if we can get a bye in the program! :D

Apparently not, they seem pretty sure that they will have a more competitive side this week, although they also said that last week.

I know they are trying to remain upbeat out there and doing the best they can to get numbers on a Sunday, I do wonder how much the Jets game disheartened them though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Apparently not, they seem pretty sure that they will have a more competitive side this week, although they also said that last week.

I know they are trying to remain upbeat out there and doing the best they can to get numbers on a Sunday, I do wonder how much the Jets game disheartened them though.

Hopefully the next few teams they come up against respect their predicament and send them into bat

I know it's A Grade cricket but the competition is so fragile you can't grind one club into the dirt. A bit of TLC from the other clubs now to help them find their feet will be good for the long term health of the game. I know it shouldn't have to happen but that's the reality.

TTG are one of the best & strongest grade clubs and they couldn't sustain women's cricket. It's a tough gig.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Hopefully the next few teams they come up against respect their predicament and send them into bat

I know it's A Grade cricket but the competition is so fragile you can't grind one club into the dirt. A bit of TLC from the other clubs now to help them find their feet will be good for the long term health of the game. I know it shouldn't have to happen but that's the reality.

TTG are one of the best & strongest grade clubs and they couldn't sustain women's cricket. It's a tough gig.

TTG didn't want women's cricket this season, their players were going to stick around after re-joining the comp last season, they finished 4th out of 10 in both formats, I was very surprised to hear that they opted out but I'm sure they had their reasons.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Hopefully the next few teams they come up against respect their predicament and send them into bat

TTG didn't want women's cricket this season, their players were going to stick around after re-joining the comp last season, they finished 4th out of 10 in both formats, I was very surprised to hear that they opted out but I'm sure they had their reasons.

They used to have an A Grade team but that disappeared and they went down to nothing

Port could go the same way
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps