Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Does the Allan Border Medal incorporate all three formats in the one count?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Does the Allan Border Medal incorporate all three formats in the one count?

Yes and no.

I'm pretty sure the tests are weighted, there are individual format awards and one big kahuna.

In essence, you could miss out on being the either the test, ODI or T20 player of the year and still win the big one.

I didn't watch it last night but that's how my recollection goes.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 39137
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 2735 times
Been liked: 4906 times

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby billy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 pm

bulldogproud wrote:For how long is Grade Cricket going to be the 'fall guy' for the poorer performances of the Redbacks? WA has sixteen teams in Premier cricket but don't see that as a problem. Tasmania, with less than a third of SA's population, has nine teams. The Redbacks problems go a lot deeper than Grade cricket. Besides, the State selectors don't even appear to look at Grade Cricket performances when selecting their teams.
Cheers


Appalling culture, stuck with a boys club in SACA, the stories coming out of the Redbacks detail how bad it has allegedly become. The coach is allegedly blissfully ignorant, would be pleased if the players are put out of their misery and he is moved on before the end of the season so everybody can move forward. His alleged attitude and conversations with his young players indicate absolute indifference to their development. How poor does a situation have to be before action is taken, this is not a pub team, SACA have thousands of members and supporters who would appreciate some action being taken to enable us to restore some pride in our cricket team. The AFL leave this type of sports coaching and administration in their wake, it is difficult for people to continue to put their time into young cricketers when this type of culture and coaching at State level is accepted as the norm.
billy
Mini-League
 
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 pm

billy wrote:Appalling culture, stuck with a boys club in SACA, the stories coming out of the Redbacks detail how bad it has allegedly become. The coach is allegedly blissfully ignorant, would be pleased if the players are put out of their misery and he is moved on before the end of the season so everybody can move forward. His alleged attitude and conversations with his young players indicate absolute indifference to their development. How poor does a situation have to be before action is taken, this is not a pub team, SACA have thousands of members and supporters who would appreciate some action being taken to enable us to restore some pride in our cricket team. The AFL leave this type of sports coaching and administration in their wake, it is difficult for people to continue to put their time into young cricketers when this type of culture and coaching at State level is accepted as the norm.

What are the stories?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
billy wrote:Appalling culture, stuck with a boys club in SACA, the stories coming out of the Redbacks detail how bad it has allegedly become. The coach is allegedly blissfully ignorant, would be pleased if the players are put out of their misery and he is moved on before the end of the season so everybody can move forward. His alleged attitude and conversations with his young players indicate absolute indifference to their development. How poor does a situation have to be before action is taken, this is not a pub team, SACA have thousands of members and supporters who would appreciate some action being taken to enable us to restore some pride in our cricket team. The AFL leave this type of sports coaching and administration in their wake, it is difficult for people to continue to put their time into young cricketers when this type of culture and coaching at State level is accepted as the norm.

What are the stories?

Haven't heard any stories but just as an observer, it would appear that SACA are more interested in recruiting fringe players from other states. There looks like some young guns that are right under their noses that should be developed. However, if I were a young player coming through, if there was any interest from an interstate team then I would seriously consider it instead of being caught up in the current regime. One story I did hear though is that a lot of the young batsman coming through dread having to deal with Siddons and really want nothing to do with him. He destroys techniques (Kelvin Smith a few years back before Kelvin reverted back to what he knows and started scoring runs again?).
The problem is if Siddons goes, I fear that another of the boys' club (Blewett) might get the gig.
Minimum Chips
Rookie
 
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Catter4lyfe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am

From an outsider that’s never been through any grade system SACA just appears to be insane. Keep picking the same blokes expecting different results and they pigeon hole players at grade level to the point they don’t accept that players can simply get better.

18/19 season
Winter 1048 @104.80 doesn’t get a look in and only offered a rookie contract from what i heard after being the best bat in Grade cricket all season... why not invest in the lad offer him a full contract and back your development to get him to a level he can perform at the next level. Average of 100 tells me you’re too good for the level he’s playing.

Kelvin Smith 904 @ 129.14 another player who had a sensational year but got offered a token game against the dukes at the end of last shield season then didn’t get offered a contract (could be wrong).

Instead of trying to back these lads in they get a Henry Hunt in from interstate who slots into SA opening the batting and you lose Kelvin to WA and Winter hasn’t played cricket this year!

If i was a kid coming through and seeing Hunt, Bosisto, Scott all coming down to take spots and seeing the history of Grade Cricket performances not getting you a look in at the next level id take the first offer from an interstate club to progress my career as it seems you simply cant do it down here.


Also on a side note if you're coming down to SA on a state contract SACA should be placing you at a district club to try and level out the comp, how Hunt Bos and Scott go to Browns, Uni, Glenelg is beyond me. Put one at Prospect, Northerns and Southerns and the comp would be better for it imo.
Catter4lyfe
Mini-League
 
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby the smokey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am

Unfortunately, the grade system is nowhere near as strong as it was 10-20 years ago.

This means that the leap from A grade cricket to state cricket is as large as it ever been. There are fewer state players playing A-grade cricket than now than I can remember at any point in the time. This means that the standard is nowhere near as good and the fringe players dominate.

The junior system is very strange and the majority of the youth of today are more mentally fragile than ever before. This means that they want everything handed to them on a silver platter with only a few willing to accept criticism - You find the ones that are will to take this criticism/feedback on board are the ones who tend to make it.

So this means that when things get too hard they look for alternative easier options such as changing clubs, not playing at all or going to play a lower standard of cricket elsewhere with their mates. None of those are bad for the individual but do not help the overall standard of cricket in SA.

this has been happening for numerous year and there is no quick fix. Yes the SACA is culpable and it always seems to come back to the number of sides in the grade comp.

I know this has been mentioned before The SACA are never going to get rid of sides and never going to force 2 sides to merge. So i think that a relegation/ promotion system may be the best bet. 6 or seven in div one and the remaining in div 2. Have the one day comp and 20/20 comps include all 13 and go from there.

In relation to what happens at the top of SACA nothing is going to change there until there is a massive overhaul at the top which may never happen or not for a long time.
the smokey
Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

the smokey wrote:Unfortunately, the grade system is nowhere near as strong as it was 10-20 years ago.

This means that the leap from A grade cricket to state cricket is as large as it ever been. There are fewer state players playing A-grade cricket than now than I can remember at any point in the time. This means that the standard is nowhere near as good and the fringe players dominate.

The junior system is very strange and the majority of the youth of today are more mentally fragile than ever before. This means that they want everything handed to them on a silver platter with only a few willing to accept criticism - You find the ones that are will to take this criticism/feedback on board are the ones who tend to make it.

So this means that when things get too hard they look for alternative easier options such as changing clubs, not playing at all or going to play a lower standard of cricket elsewhere with their mates. None of those are bad for the individual but do not help the overall standard of cricket in SA.

this has been happening for numerous year and there is no quick fix. Yes the SACA is culpable and it always seems to come back to the number of sides in the grade comp.

I know this has been mentioned before The SACA are never going to get rid of sides and never going to force 2 sides to merge. So i think that a relegation/ promotion system may be the best bet. 6 or seven in div one and the remaining in div 2. Have the one day comp and 20/20 comps include all 13 and go from there.

In relation to what happens at the top of SACA nothing is going to change there until there is a massive overhaul at the top which may never happen or not for a long time.



The SACA have tried to do that unsuccessfully.

They should merge with the ATCA and have a relegation/promotion system like you highlighted.

Realistically 10 teams is enough for the top division, the SACA doesn't have the power to enforce mergers.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 39137
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 2735 times
Been liked: 4906 times

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Realistically 10 teams is enough for the top division, the SACA doesn't have the power to enforce mergers.

Correct - I'm pretty sure it's in the constitution that it's the grade clubs themselves who have to decide the makeup of the grade comp. SACA can't do it.
Minimum Chips
Rookie
 
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Eagles need 57 runs off 11 overs, 5 down
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Drew out for 153

5 overs, 29 runs, 4 wickets
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:50 pm

West Torrens get home, 6 balls to spare. 7 down.

Spencer Johnson whacked 17 off 11 balls at the end
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 am

Southern Districts, Tea Tree Gullly and Woodville all win - still a mathematical chance
Glenelg lose - out of running
Kensington outright - has put top two back on the table
University outright - very helpful given the bye still to come
East Torrens lose to West Torrens - slip to 4th

175 University
170 Adelaide
150 Kensington
145 East Torrens

110 Southern District
105 Tea Tree Gully
105 Woodville

Games that will affect the standings:
Round 12
Kensington vs Glenelg - Browns could still be a sneaky chance of top two if they win here given that Uni and Adelaide play each other
Port Adelaide vs Southern District - Stingrays just need to keep winning and cross their fingers
University vs Adelaide - match of the round
East Torrens vs Prospect - the Pirates are looking cooked. Could ET pinch an outright here? Even a first innings win all but stitches up finals
Woodville vs Tea Tree Gully - winner here may still be a chance going into the last game

Round 13
Tea Tree Gully vs Kensington
Southern District vs Woodville - both teams could still be alive
Adelaide vs East Torrens - tough finish for the Buffalos
University bye
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Prospect 58 all out this time. Ouch
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Aeropti » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Prospect 58 all out this time. Ouch


What's the go out there? why have they struggled down the bottom for so long?

Must be some serious underlying issues?
Aeropti
Mini-League
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:56 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Aeropti wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Prospect 58 all out this time. Ouch


What's the go out there? why have they struggled down the bottom for so long?

Must be some serious underlying issues?


Wooden Spoon about 8 times in last 10 years, so been very poor for long time now. If you want to go to 12 team comp there is your answer!'

Trying to pay one bloke $10k a year does nothing for team harmony, were paying Miller good coin before that also.

Now their current captain wants out, spoken to four clubs already.

What a shambles, last one out turn off the lights!
Eagles2014
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 183 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Clubs get stuck in a downward spiral.

Tough to retain players when you're losing matches regularly
Tough to attract new players when you're losing matches regularly

So your two sources of quality senior players - juniors and recruitment - dry up.

It's hard to build something.

Prospect have got Broken Hill as a country zone and I can't imagine they get much from there
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
User avatar
Tony Clifton
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:00 pm
Has liked: 1028 times
Been liked: 165 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Clubs get stuck in a downward spiral.

Tough to retain players when you're losing matches regularly
Tough to attract new players when you're losing matches regularly

So your two sources of quality senior players - juniors and recruitment - dry up.

It's hard to build something.

Prospect have got Broken Hill as a country zone and I can't imagine they get much from there


They have made some terrible decisions over last few years also though which does not help.

Their Board were going to sack Zesers this season, but senior players stepped in and wanted him kept. Wonder if they have the same view now. Think he coaches a private school (Immanuel??) and gets good money there and spends his Saturdays with them. Just do one or the other, not great with such a young team when your Coach is not at your matches helping out and off chasing the money.
Eagles2014
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 183 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:46 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
Aeropti wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Prospect 58 all out this time. Ouch


What's the go out there? why have they struggled down the bottom for so long?

Must be some serious underlying issues?


If you want to go to 12 team comp there is your answer!'

Yep - merge Prospect with Uni. Gets rid of the bye and gives Uni a junior zone to work with so they don't have to pinch them off everyone else.
Minimum Chips
Rookie
 
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby The Hound » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am

Minimum Chips wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Aeropti wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Prospect 58 all out this time. Ouch


What's the go out there? why have they struggled down the bottom for so long?

Must be some serious underlying issues?


If you want to go to 12 team comp there is your answer!'

Yep - merge Prospect with Uni. Gets rid of the bye and gives Uni a junior zone to work with so they don't have to pinch them off everyone else.


Think everyone in PC thinks the same thing!
Hearing the Board is having input into selection :shock:
Captain been courted by other clubs for a number of years.
The Hound
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:22 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest