PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby Observer55 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:36 pm

The Bedge wrote:50 overs is closer to 2 day cricket than not, so calling it a pure one day comp shouldn’t really have a huge impact on feelings.

Back in the day though, Churches used to play overs, not end game once result was achieved. This meant that sides could still chase an outright in a one day match.

If G1 clubs want the best of both worlds, maybe this could be a consideration.

I think 45 overs for the Grade 1 comp is sufficient, 40 Grade 2 and Below. Bowlers limited to 20% of the allotted overs and the stronger clubs with more depth will prosper.

If playing one day/limited over cricket it must be Net Run Rate. Winning a game in 10 overs is as good as winning outright and you’re not whipping a dead horse week in week out if there is a lesser team in the comp.
Observer55

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby whufc » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:20 pm

I like the idea of playing on if a game is won.

Especially in 40 over games it can be difficult to get everyone involved especially if you have a couple of cricketers who are genuine guns with bat and ball.

Second innings should be about ensuring blokes get an opportunity to be involved and therefore stay playing at your club for longer. Wouldn’t think many sides in pdca don’t have that number 7/8 bat who doesn’t bowl. Second innings are for those blokes.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Barkeroo » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:38 pm

whufc wrote:I like the idea of playing on if a game is won.

Especially in 40 over games it can be difficult to get everyone involved especially if you have a couple of cricketers who are genuine guns with bat and ball.

Second innings should be about ensuring blokes get an opportunity to be involved and therefore stay playing at your club for longer. Wouldn’t think many sides in pdca don’t have that number 7/8 bat who doesn’t bowl. Second innings are for those blokes.

Yeah when I played in Perth if I did crack into the 1st Grade team I would be that player 7/8 non-bowling player. One season I played 4 weeks in a row without batting or bowling and it was a bit disheartening as you a literally just a fielder in that case.
Our comp was a mix of half two-dayers and one-dayers but even if you passed the other teams score in the 40 over games you would bat out the overs. This worked well if you had a good captain who would share it around after you've passed the other teams score.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Observer55 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 am

Grade 1 and 2 shouldn't be about participation, but could/would bring more people into the game with a limit of 20% of the overs being bowled by an individual. Then it should be on the club/skipper about sharing the load.

Never a right answer across the board
Observer55

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:19 am

Observer55 wrote:t could/would bring more people into the game with a limit of 20% of the overs being bowled by an individual. Then it should be on the club/skipper about sharing the load.

8 overs in one day match = 20% of over allocation already.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:00 am

Observer55 wrote:

Grade 1 and 2 shouldn't be about participation, but could/would bring more people into the game with a limit of 20% of the overs being bowled by an individual. Then it should be on the club/skipper about sharing the load.

Never a right answer across the board

The 20% (5 Bowlers) is already the rule and would definitely need to be maintained.

I think even when a captain is doing his best to share the load it can be difficult in 40 over cricket especially to give everyone a bat. Only takes one decent partnership to chew up 10-15 overs and it doesn't leave much for the other 9 blokes. I think there is a difference as well between getting 5 overs at the end to go the smash versus actually getting a hit but maybe thats just me because im a plodder.

Obviously you try and pick games and match situations where you can throw it around but it can be hard especially in 6 team comps where the majority of teams are pretty even.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:36 pm

Wonder how clubs are going with pre-season.

This has been one of the most difficult I can recall organising - constant rain has played havoc, and Mega Courts is constantly booked out
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:02 pm

The Bedge wrote:Wonder how clubs are going with pre-season.

This has been one of the most difficult I can recall organising - constant rain has played havoc, and Mega Courts is constantly booked out

Atco have definitely been trying but as you mentioned the weather gods havent been overly kind.

I believe they are playing a trial game against Salisbury North to try and get people a decent outing before it starts.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

whufc wrote:

Atco have definitely been trying but as you mentioned the weather gods havent been overly kind.

I believe they are playing a trial game against Salisbury North to try and get people a decent outing before it starts.

Their C's?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

Eyre Royals had a session yesterday, only 86 turned up though, their J Grade is looking in jeopardy.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 pm

You might write that now but try getting skittled for 45, that gets chased down in 6 overs then you have 34 overs of standing in the 38 degree sun contemplating how much you hate your life, a guaranteed way to deter people from playing.

Some clubs take the absolute piss mate, I was one for getting a result ASAP and hitting the cans, there's plenty of weeks that you end up playing every available minute of the day.

A decent club picks balanced teams, it's where having too many allrounders works against you, it's pointless having someone bat lower than 7 and not bowl, may aswell whack them in the Grade below and give them a decent go. There is always going to be exceptions like chasing down a small total or someone is having a ripper spell, we always just chucked a kid up the order if we were chasing FA, we always had a pretty laid back approach and a good playing group.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Eyre Royals had a session yesterday, only 86 turned up though, they're J Grade is looking in jeopardy.

... but don't wanna play Grade 1? :P
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

You might write that now but try getting skittled for 45, that gets chased down in 6 overs then you have 34 overs of standing in the 38 degree sun contemplating how much you hate your life, a guaranteed way to deter people from playing.

Some clubs take the absolute piss mate, I was one for getting a result ASAP and hitting the cans, there's plenty of weeks that you end up playing every available minute of the day.

A decent club picks balanced teams, it's where having too many allrounders works against you, it's pointless having someone bat lower than 7 and not bowl, may aswell whack them in the Grade below and give them a decent go. There is always going to be exceptions like chasing down a small total or someone is having a ripper spell, we always just chucked a kid up the order if we were chasing FA, we always had a pretty laid back approach and a good playing group.

I've played in a fair few teams where we got skittled. I would much rather have that happen in a 50 over one day game than in a 70 over 20 dayer.

**** i had Nathaniel Brookes when captain of Atco convince me to be the super sub one week.....i wasnt meant to play that game. Got to OTH he wins the toss and bowls FFS....next thing OTH are 0/100 and he starts throwing the ball around. Since i was only super subbing he decided to give the young lads a decent crack with the ball (fair enough) finished the day 5/close to 500 and 3 of their blokes made tons. :evil: :lol:

The thing is though if teams did throw the order around once the result was done it wouldn't be that bad a day as use might pick up a few wickets etc . Yeah its not ideal when the teams go just as hard for every 0.01 point :lol: The guys that normally wouldn't get a bowl seem to enjoy just getting a bowl even if they are getting spanked. I think it becomes a choir when you try and stay serious and bowl the same 4 blokes etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:53 pm

I've done both - shared around, and called game early. Lot depends on the opposition as well.

Few years ago I captained B grade, this we won something like 3 straight one day games within an hour and a bit - long day enjoying some froffies.. other times shared it around and had some fun.

Ultimately cost us in finals as we had effectively taken the piss most the year and had no real block of form as individuals.

Anyway, reality is.. once the temp is up around 40 degrees and you smack a side, no chance they're gonna want to play on.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:12 pm

The Bedge wrote:I've done both - shared around, and called game early. Lot depends on the opposition as well.

Few years ago I captained B grade, this we won something like 3 straight one day games within an hour and a bit - long day enjoying some froffies.. other times shared it around and had some fun.

Ultimately cost us in finals as we had effectively taken the piss most the year and had no real block of form as individuals.

Anyway, reality is.. once the temp is up around 40 degrees and you smack a side, no chance they're gonna want to play on.

Yeah we were horrific at EP for calling games off early, one year we missed finals by 0.04 points and had called off games a few times early. I remember that night at the club the coach Jon Durrant got up and proclaimed 'that we will never ever ever call off a game early again'. Didn't last very long thing i don't think.
whufc
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:49 pm

Is cricket the only game you keep playing after you've lost?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:21 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Is cricket the only game you keep playing after you've lost?

Maybe???

Not team based but golf you finish the round regardless of position. Cycling/car sports/horse racing you continue even after the winner/places have finished.

Most team sports end after a certain amount of time so it’s a non issue.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:48 am

Mixed cricket comp dropped from 30 teams to 21 (-9).
Limited overs cricket comp increased from 34 to 42 (+8).

Eastern Park down to 1 team.

NEK the latest to only submit LO teams.

Few clubs left in limbo contemplating the future.

One week until season starts, good luck to teams!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:01 am

The Bedge wrote:Mixed cricket comp dropped from 30 teams to 21 (-9).

2 Day cricket has hung in their for a fair while but it looks like its death is only around the corner sadly.

Really disappointed cricket has once again taken a hit at EP. With Simon Head in charge and the original gang back together I thought they really might have found the recipe for success. I guess its just part of the clubs DNA that cricket will always be a bit hit and miss.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:02 am

The Bedge wrote:Mixed cricket comp dropped from 30 teams to 21 (-9).

Grade 1 teams?

Smithfield 1 or 2 teams?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps