Brahma Lodge Cricket Club

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Brahma Lodge Cricket Club

Postby Executive Member » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Browny to square Leg and give Sibbs run out without an appeal
Could be the only way to stay in front in the batting trophy 8)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Masha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Honda07 wrote:
Executive Member wrote:Hey how did the fill in keeper go
He told me he couldnt move until yesterday

He was ok - steady job - I knew he wouldnt beable to move. Ha poor old boy.

It was an improvement on Friday nights effort that's for sure. Bumbling, dropping, byes everywhere. Good luck to him, it is a thankless job.
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Masha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 pm

So I decided to make a venture down to my first Tuesday training session, and was extremely shocked an disappointed with what I saw!!!! 3 juniors, 1 D grader and Luke Nelson. For a club with 4 sides, and the A grade especially batting on the weekend, I would've expected a massive turnout. Anyways, got a good session in with the bowling machine, only got bowled 12 times and caught 7 times with 3 buckets of balls :lol: oh hang on...that was Luke haha. Fair to say that's the last Tuesday session i will attend. Thanks for the heads up.....where's the love???? :(
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Browny25 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Masha wrote:So I decided to make a venture down to my first Tuesday training session, and was extremely shocked an disappointed with what I saw!!!! 3 juniors, 1 D grader and Luke Nelson. For a club with 4 sides, and the A grade especially batting on the weekend, I would've expected a massive turnout. Anyways, got a good session in with the bowling machine, only got bowled 12 times and caught 7 times with 3 buckets of balls :lol: oh hang on...that was Luke haha. Fair to say that's the last Tuesday session i will attend. Thanks for the heads up.....where's the love???? :(

Opps, should have told you about Tues nights!
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Browny25 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Yeah fairly dissapointed that I cant play on saturday, but got a good feeling that the lads will get the job done.

Would be good to see young Nelly spend some time at the crease aswell.
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Masha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:26 pm

browny2323 wrote:Yeah fairly dissapointed that I cant play on saturday, but got a good feeling that the lads will get the job done.

Nelly definitely needs some time at the crease for some confidence. Has the skill, I noticed last night when I was operating the Bowling machine, that he doesn't committ his feet when playing drives especially and therefore plays away from his body a lot, or reaches at the ball. A big no no, unless you have the hand eye co-ordination of international cricketers.

A few more sessions with the machine and if I can help him along with some minor technical glitches then you could see Nelly reach a good level. Not saying I am awesome, just I can see what he is doing wrong and I want to help him fix it. What is that saying about teaching....those that can't do teach?? Very applicable to me :lol:
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Executive Member » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Masha wrote:
browny2323 wrote:Yeah fairly dissapointed that I cant play on saturday, but got a good feeling that the lads will get the job done.

Nelly definitely needs some time at the crease for some confidence. Has the skill, I noticed last night when I was operating the Bowling machine, that he doesn't committ his feet when playing drives especially and therefore plays away from his body a lot, or reaches at the ball. A big no no, unless you have the hand eye co-ordination of international cricketers.

A few more sessions with the machine and if I can help him along with some minor technical glitches then you could see Nelly reach a good level. Not saying I am awesome, just I can see what he is doing wrong and I want to help him fix it. What is that saying about teaching....those that can't do teach?? Very applicable to me :lol:

Be nice if you had enough balls for a decent session but after 20 ballas you have to stop and pick them all up again :roll:
very hard to get a good net going with the bowling machine
Iwas when are the balls arriving
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

Be nice if you had enough balls for a decent session but after 20 ballas you have to stop and pick them all up again :roll:

When you think about it, in a normal net session you are lucky to face 3 balls a minute, you face around 10 per minute with the machine. We have another 24 balls coming this week, we only use ours out in the middle and have the next few having a hit spread out. We will only be using ours for batsmen's weaknesses, that way they should only be getting hit to the one vicinity.Don't you have someone collecting them as you use them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4351 times
Been liked: 7956 times

Postby Masha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

That is an issue. Would be nice to have a massive stash, and roll out a 60 ball session. The pressure would be on, ball after ball, minimal break so concentration would have to be high. I can't get enough of the ball machine. You can work on your weaknesses and the machine is old enough that it can be unpredictable to a point where the next ball may be 2 foot shorter....or 1 foot wider. Makes you think and keeps you on your toes. Sure beats the hell out of the net bowlers who just run in and roll their arm over half heartedly, or bowl spin when they are supposed to be medium/fast bowlers :roll:
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Executive Member » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

When you think about it, in a normal net session you are lucky to face 3 balls a minute, you face around 10 per minute with the machine. We have another 24 balls coming this week, we only use ours out in the middle and have the next few having a hit spread out. We will only be using ours for batsmen's weaknesses, that way they should only be getting hit to the one vicinity.Don't you have someone collecting them as you use them.

bit hard when the fools hit them out of the net as far as they can
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Masha » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

Yeah, 3 balls a minute, 1 is pace, 1 is spin and the other a slow medium. When in cricket will this ever happen to you? Gets frustrating and you can't settled.

Not sure about only using it for the batsman's weaknesses. I agree you have to use it for this, but also have to chuck in some variables. Players also need to keep there standards up in the other areas of their batting.
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Masha wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, 3 balls a minute, 1 is pace, 1 is spin and the other a slow medium. When in cricket will this ever happen to you? Gets frustrating and you can't settled.

Not sure about only using it for the batsman's weaknesses. I agree you have to use it for this, but also have to chuck in some variables. Players also need to keep there standards up in the other areas of their batting.

We got all of our players to write their weaknesses down and we'll set it up differently each session, it's too much rooting around to make adjustments. We've been using a brand new mat so that gives a fair bit of variance aswell. The last thing we want is for players to be out there spanking the ball around because it's coming faster and right in there slot.
It's new atm and everyone wants a crack at it, we've had a couple of blokes facing at 150 and in a prick of a length, you don't realize how slow some of the bowlers getting around are.
When we've come across quickies we've predicted about 135-140, after seeing the machine spit them out they appear to be more like 120-130.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Masha » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Masha wrote:

We got all of our players to write their weaknesses down and we'll set it up differently each session, it's too much rooting around to make adjustments. We've been using a brand new mat so that gives a fair bit of variance aswell. The last thing we want is for players to be out there spanking the ball around because it's coming faster and right in there slot.
It's new atm and everyone wants a crack at it, we've had a couple of blokes facing at 150 and in a prick of a length, you don't realize how slow some of the bowlers getting around are.
When we've come across quickies we've predicted about 135-140, after seeing the machine spit them out they appear to be more like 120-130.

I got a fair idea of pace when I played for Para Hills, when a guy was clocked at 130ish, he was extremely sharp. When I compare bowlers to him, I am thinking most of the PDCA bowlers would be lucky to reach 120. Saying that, 120 to me is still reasonably quick, so I wouldn't want to be facing any quicker.

The quickest I think I've faced is Jim McCarthy, others have slipped my mind. I haven't faced Davies from SW but heard he bowls with plenty of heat. Searle was quick but I don't think he'd be in the same class as those 2.
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Executive Member » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am

Masha wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Masha wrote:

I got a fair idea of pace when I played for Para Hills, when a guy was clocked at 130ish, he was extremely sharp. When I compare bowlers to him, I am thinking most of the PDCA bowlers would be lucky to reach 120. Saying that, 120 to me is still reasonably quick, so I wouldn't want to be facing any quicker.

The quickest I think I've faced is Jim McCarthy, others have slipped my mind. I haven't faced Davies from SW but heard he bowls with plenty of heat. Searle was quick but I don't think he'd be in the same class as those 2.

I will relive a couple of oldies

Laverty from The Lodge was very sharp - glad I only faced him in the nets :D
Hayes brothers from ATCO never gave you a break
cant remember the guys names from Riverside but had two lefties with plenty of heat
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Iwasthere84 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:51 am

Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Masha wrote:

cant remember the guys names from Riverside but had two lefties with plenty of heat

Masha, problems with training is now we are all playing and participating in Friday nights its a hard task to commit to Tues, thurs, friday and all day saturday, and then expect you back at the club for a drink. We will review our tues night session next comm meeting. The Jugs company have said balls are 2 weeks away. They were ordered 5weeks ago so not a lot I can do. We could look elsewhere but the prices per ball are huge.
Iwasthere84
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Masha » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:10 am

Iwasthere84 wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

Masha, problems with training is now we are all playing and participating in Friday nights its a hard task to commit to Tues, thurs, friday and all day saturday, and then expect you back at the club for a drink. We will review our tues night session next comm meeting. The Jugs company have said balls are 2 weeks away. They were ordered 5weeks ago so not a lot I can do. We could look elsewhere but the prices per ball are huge.

Yeah ok Iwas84, I see your point. However, the T20 concept was only just brought in, and as I'm led to believe the Tuesday numbers have always being low. I can't understand how a team in Grade 1 who has ambitions to be successful can only get by with training once a week. If you are going to take it seriously, surely the Tuesday has to be a go as well. Just look at footy, they implement the 2 days per week training plus Saturday, otherwise you don't get the Tiger bucks on Sat night. I know players don't get paid at the Lodge for cricket (except maybe Sibbs), but maybe a similar concept may be the way to go. It does make it hard now though with the T20. That would make it 4 out of 7 days up at the club. I agree that would be pushing the friendship. Now that I have gone to a Tuesday sesh I can guarantee that unless there is more than 5 people there, I won't do it again as It will be wasting my Tuesday night.
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Masha » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 am

Iwasthere84 wrote:

How much do they slug per ball??
Masha
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:16 am

Masha wrote:
Iwasthere84 wrote:

How much do they slug per ball??

$93 per dozen from Jugs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:18 am

Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Masha wrote:

Garrard was one of them, I don't recall any others, perhaps it was Robins form South Gawler.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Iwasthere84 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 am

Masha wrote:
Iwasthere84 wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
Masha wrote:

Yeah ok Iwas84, I see your point. However, the T20 concept was only just brought in, and as I'm led to believe the Tuesday numbers have always being low. I can't understand how a team in Grade 1 who has ambitions to be successful can only get by with training once a week. If you are going to take it seriously, surely the Tuesday has to be a go as well. Just look at footy, they implement the 2 days per week training plus Saturday, otherwise you don't get the Tiger bucks on Sat night. I know players don't get paid at the Lodge for cricket (except maybe Sibbs), but maybe a similar concept may be the way to go. It does make it hard now though with the T20. That would make it 4 out of 7 days up at the club. I agree that would be pushing the friendship. Now that I have gone to a Tuesday sesh I can guarantee that unless there is more than 5 people there, I won't do it again as It will be wasting my Tuesday night.

I would love to get 20 or more out to training on tues night, and we have tried so hard over the last few years to do that, but time restraints on players, family reasons and the old "cant be bothered" takes its toll. Just for your peace of mind, ask your 10 team mates on sat, why they dont train tues night and see what they all say
Iwasthere84
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps