Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:48 pm

saintal wrote:There was a bit of talk about a ‘Super League’ maybe 7 or 8 years ago when Lobethal, Woodside and Kersbrook were regularly the top 3 in TVCA. The theory being that those 3 clubs would field their second side in the TVCA A Grade comp and still be reasonably competitive. With these clubs no longer in the league I don’t think it’s something that would benefit TVCA. If say Gumeracha and Palmer were to enter a SL, their second sides would struggle at A Grade level, and with only 17 teams in the league, the loss of a couple would leave it even thinner.

A hypothetical 8 team comp would probably initially consist of Meadows, Mt Lofty, Flagstaff Hill/SCIBs, Nairne, Woodside, Strathalbyn, Gumeracha and Palmer.

The concept seems to work quite well in netball.

Why dont they combine all the leagues? Would make it easier for the smaller towns/clubs to find their level of competition by having more grade options available
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Agreed dools. Just chuck them all in together and have Div 1 to 5 or 6ish, whatever is required to get all clubs and all teams in, promotion and relegations, etc.
Div 1 and 2 can be 2-day cricket and Divs 3 down 1 dayers.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Trader wrote:Agreed dools. Just chuck them all in together and have Div 1 to 5 or 6ish, whatever is required to get all clubs and all teams in, promotion and relegations, etc.
Div 1 and 2 can be 2-day cricket and Divs 3 down 1 dayers.

I like this idea.... all we need is a group of guys from the 3 associations to come together & make it happen....The only way this could work is all clubs, all teams from the 3 associations come together to form the league.

In terms of "representative" cricket - Myer Shield, and the Underage stuff, I reckon that's fairly simple. Clubs already aligned with A&EH, their players play for A&EH, the same for Hills & TVCA clubs.... their players still suit up in representative cricket for their Association of origin!

It would involve more travel I guess, consider say Flagstaff Hill travelling to Cambrai for a game.....that would be about the worst of it, and there are ways that it could be avoided as well.

But how good would the comp be - Nairne, Meadows, Gumeracha, Woodside, SCIBS, Strath, Langhorne Creek... etc Div 1 would be a decent standard. It would take a season or 2 to sort itself out, but it would be fantastic.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby saintal » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Would be an interesting concept. Relegation/promotion could work similar to the amateur league footy (although care would need to be taken to avoid a club having two sides in the one grade where possible). The top 5 divisions could look something like this:

Meadows, Mt Lofty , Flagstaff Hill, Nairne, Woodside, Strathalbyn, Gumeracha, Palmer

Scott Creek/Ironbank, Aldgate, Happy Valley, Langhorne Creek, Lobethal, Ashbourne, Paracombe, Cambrai

Kangarilla, Uraidla, Bridgewater, Stirling, Wistow, Hahndorf, Lenswood, Eden Valley

Mylor, Onkas, Eastern Ranges, Basket Range, Mt Barker, Springton, Mt Torrens, Birdwood

Flagstaff Hill B, Clapham, Nairne B, Woodside B, Macclesfield, Echunga, Finniss, Bremer/Cally
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 pm

saintal wrote:Would be an interesting concept. Relegation/promotion could work similar to the amateur league footy (although care would need to be taken to avoid a club having two sides in the one grade where possible). The top 5 divisions could look something like this:

Meadows, Mt Lofty , Flagstaff Hill, Nairne, Woodside, Strathalbyn, Gumeracha, Palmer

Scott Creek/Ironbank, Aldgate, Happy Valley, Langhorne Creek, Lobethal, Ashbourne, Paracombe, Cambrai

Kangarilla, Uraidla, Bridgewater, Stirling, Wistow, Hahndorf, Lenswood, Eden Valley

Mylor, Onkas, Eastern Ranges, Basket Range, Mt Barker, Springton, Mt Torrens, Birdwood

Flagstaff Hill B, Clapham, Nairne B, Woodside B, Macclesfield, Echunga, Finniss, Bremer/Cally

That's an excellent start.... interesting though you have 5 divisions here, and mainly just club "firsts".... Strath B & Ashbourne B would have to be in that mix as well. So add in all the "seconds", "thirds" etc and you are looking at probably 8 or 9 divisions.... still promotion/relegation and away you go. Good work Saintal.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:04 pm

Could Great Southern teams be included in the mix?

To overcome any distance concerns could you have a Northern and Southern Conference. with minor rounds played within your home conference and finals played between say the top four teams in each division of each conference. You could have a conference winner and ultimate champion. Would certainly be more interesting than playing the same teams year in year out.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby kickittome » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Great win to strathalbyn upsetting nairne in the semi who were chasing 8 flags straight. Some of the tightest bowling you will witness plus the thrilling finish had everyone on edge. Strath having been minor premiers the last 2 years went into last weeks semi huge underdogs & played with nothing to lose & will be hoping they can win there first a grade flag since 97/98. Woodside as well haven't won an a grade flag surprisingly since 94/95. So the winner is going to be celebrating in a big way. Woodside have beaten strath both times this year but that means nothing in finals as we saw last week.
What's your odds & thoughts jackpot Jim"?
kickittome
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby kickittome » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:13 pm

jackpot jim wrote:I'd be very surprised if 2 day cricket was banished altogether from A&EHCA.
Nairne pushed hard for all 1 day cricket for A grade a few years ago now and it was surprisingly decisively defeated.
They did make some very valid points in their proposal.
I think as long as the program remains a 50/50 mix of 2 and 1 dayers, most are happy.
Agree that without a huge influx of talent that Maccy, Echunga, Finniss and Cally are a long way off returning to A Grade.
Hahndorf i cant see coming back up whilst they only have the 1 Senior team and i think they would rather the 1 day format of A2s
Mt Barker have indicated they are working on returning to A Grade and i guess thats possible. Would need a few recruits i guess but
if theyre really dinkum about it thats surely not too hard to do?
FWIW i think the A Grade will eventually down the track be all 1 dayers, dont think it will be next season tho.

Might be a close vote for all one dayers in a grade next year. Wait & see but have noticed even in finals last week some teams couldn't get the same 11 for both days! I know at strath we went in to a final with some players that hadn't had a hit in 4 weeks due to a bye & pushing for outright. This often occurs but wouldn't happen in a one day comp keeping everyone involved & interested each Saturday.
Having seen a fair mixture of a grade & a2s this year I believe Hahndorf despite not making the gf would be the team to go up. There top 5 players all are capable of a grade but they struggled to field 11 each week with only 1 senior team is a bit of a worry. Would rate there bowling better standard than ashbourne's. Batting still very reliant on hassold when he is available so would require 3 or 4 recruits as would any team planning to go up to a grade.
I do like the super league idea with juniors not following seniors on a Saturday wouldn't be to hard to setup & after a few years could really set up 5 or so really even comps.
kickittome
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am

saintal wrote:Would be an interesting concept. Relegation/promotion could work similar to the amateur league footy (although care would need to be taken to avoid a club having two sides in the one grade where possible). The top 5 divisions could look something like this:

Have wondered about this for a couple of seasons.
Good start Saintal but perhaps consider a few changes, mainly because of travel. ( Cambrai to Happy Valley or Eden Valley to Kangarilla would make for a long day.
Would keep your top 8 as a Super/Premier league.
Combine the next two grades into A grade North and South so cut back the travel.
Continue this theme down thro the grades B North and South, C North and South etc.
Not allow a club to have 2 sides in the same grade, if necessary have one side in the North and one in the South especially if the club was fairly central.
In the Super/Premier and perhaps the A grade comps each team plays 1 two day and 1 one day game against each other. Start with 3 or 4 2 days then around xmas new year period play 7 one day games ( good if people are unavailable for a week or two in the holidays) then finish with the remainder of the 2 days.
All other grades 1 day only.
Have promotion into the S/P league if the Premiers of the 2 A grade comps want too. (clubs choice) Bottom 2 to drop down. Then automatic promotion/relegation between A to B, B to C etc. Whether 1 or 2 up/down would be another question. Think this would allow teams to find their natural level but also give a challenge if a club wants to improve itself.
Anyway discussion on feel free to add constructive comments.

PS - think your club Saintal is Lenswood. Trivia they have over the years played in all 3 associations going back to the 70/80's the only one off the top of my head to do so although uncertain about Onka's.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby saintal » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:18 am

Yeah, my allocation was just a quick 10 min effort based on this year’s ladders without considering travel/logistics. I like the north/south idea, to save on travel and to retain some of those local rivalries. 10 teams in each of the lower divisions would work well, playing each team in a couple of one dayers to make up an 18 week season.

Correct about Lenswood, I believe we were very well travelled for a period. Have heard a few stories about grudge matches against Aldgate in particular. Believe we used to play in a comp (eastern suburbs/hills?) involving teams from Magill/Hectorville/Campbelltown area also.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 am

Some interesting thoughts added to this conversation re joining the 3 "hills" based leagues into one comp. I don't mind Roxy's suggestion of including the GSCA in the mix and coming up with North & South Conferences..... maybe that is the second step in the process. In terms of juniors, thinking more about it - it would be better if there comps were kept in either there current format, or into a North/South division to keep travelling to a minimum. Can't see under 14 parents wanting to travel for 1.5 hours on a Saturday morning for a game....At this stage it's a pipe dream in many ways though, as I can't see Association Presidents, voting to "disband" their own Association. While things in the top level of A&EH are not ideal, with the bye, the comp itself is reasonably healthy. My take is the Hills comp is going ok. The TVCA, not so much, I say that as an observation, not as a knock to the TVCA guys.... who in years gone bye, were the strongest of the 3 comps.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Good discussion, you wonder if the SACA would support it as it could possibly take away players from the lower grade comps. However it a new structure may also appeal to clubs in the Coro/Blackwood/Foothills area making it even stronger. Some say about the travel factor, but thats happening in Hills footy already so no great difference. The crazy thing is there are numerous towns/clubs 5 minutes apart that are in different associations, so in some scenarios there might be less travel overall. Off the top of my head -

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Good discussion, you wonder if the SACA would support it as it could possibly take away players from the lower grade comps. However it a new structure may also appeal to clubs in the Coro/Blackwood/Foothills area making it even stronger. Some say about the travel factor, but thats happening in Hills footy already so no great difference. The crazy thing is there are numerous towns/clubs 5 minutes apart that are in different associations, so in some scenarios there might be less travel overall. Off the top of my head -

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows

You are quite correct there Dutchy, in some cases an amalgamation could well mean less travel. The trip back from Finniss for us, often includes several "refreshment stops"..... actually, now I think of it, I would miss that part!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Good discussion, you wonder if the SACA would support it as it could possibly take away players from the lower grade comps. However it a new structure may also appeal to clubs in the Coro/Blackwood/Foothills area making it even stronger. Some say about the travel factor, but thats happening in Hills footy already so no great difference. The crazy thing is there are numerous towns/clubs 5 minutes apart that are in different associations, so in some scenarios there might be less travel overall. Off the top of my head -

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows

You are quite correct there Dutchy, in some cases an amalgamation could well mean less travel. The trip back from Finniss for us, often includes several "refreshment stops"..... actually, now I think of it, I would miss that part!

Book me in for a trip back from Paracombe :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :YMPARTY: 8-}
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Trader » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Travel isn't great, but if you have to do it once a season you can make a bit of a road trip of it and it's not that bad.
ATCA has teams like Reynella, Brighton and SHOC heading out to play Penfield and Trinity OS.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows

Book me in for a trip back from Paracombe :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :YMPARTY: 8-}

Haha a few watering holes on that trip - Lobethal pub/s, Woodside pub/s, Oakbank pub, Balhannah pub, Littlehampton pub, Mount Barker pub/s, Maccy pub/s and Meadows for a quick one..... That trip could take a week
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Messy!
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:19 pm

All these pubs.. I wanna play Hills now :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Zartan wrote:All these pubs.. I wanna play Hills now :lol:

Maybe thats how we should market it. "play cricket in the Hills super league, every weeks a pub crawl"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Postby Keefy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Woodside/Onka's
Meadows/Echunga
Echunga/Mylor
Meadows/Maccy
Uraidla/Woodside
Bridgewater/Hahndorf
Basket Range/Lenswood
Ashbourne/Meadows

Wouldn't see the likes of Coro Ramblers, Coromandel and Belair leaving ASCA
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times