ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA

Postby Reilly » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 am

Tony Clifton wrote:If a World Cup match in Manchester gets rained out but the game in London on the same day gets played it's bad luck

I get that, even though Manchester and London isn't exactly Reynella to Ingle Farm. I'm just saying, in my opinion, it isn't fair. We don't all have to agree on this one.
Reilly

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:18 am

Yes, it's disappointing and there's loopholes everywhere, it's always a bit suss playing turf with games a week apart and batting conditions can differ so much for each team, at the end of the day though, the season is a marathon not a sprint, you need to win the early games just as much as the ones later in the season, every point matters.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:20 am

Reilly wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:If a World Cup match in Manchester gets rained out but the game in London on the same day gets played it's bad luck

I get that, even though Manchester and London isn't exactly Reynella to Ingle Farm. I'm just saying, in my opinion, it isn't fair. We don't all have to agree on this one.

No one thinks it's fair

That's how it is though.

You get bottom team in a one dayer
Umpire makes a bad call
Sprinklers come on overnight
Run out off bowler's fingertip
Star player has to be best man at a wedding

It's just another thing that is part of sport

Ultimately it all comes out in the wash and if you're good enough, you're good enough. If you're not, you're not.

Teams who missed the 4 I'm sure dropped points along the way.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:49 am

ATCA couldn't call the day's play off as the bylaws require a call by 9am if the whole comp is off.
At 9am there had only been a bit of drizzle and most grounds would have still been right to play, most of the rain came through between 10 and 12.

I'm in the camp that thinks ATCA calls it off too often as it is.
As Tigerpie mentioned, there were times this year when grounds with covers were able to play but ATCA called the whole comp off.
Makes you wonder why you'd bother to go to the effort of getting blokes out to put the covers on only to then not be allowed to play anyway!

Possible thunderstorm this sunday, will be a lot of teams ranked 3rd and 4th monitoring the forecast over the next few days!!!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:21 am

bulldogs wrote:I’m with Tiger pie, I believe association would of cancelled all games if it wasn’t last minor round game. This is what should of happened, totally unfair that so little games get away. Strange that the only two games that got away in A1was those games that had so much to play for.
I also believe Atca need to look out how they award points for washouts. Teams that didn’t get away got to split the 10 points and get there bonus points from first day, these teams are severely hampered by not getting bonus points on the 2nd day. Grange jumped Ingle farm by the bonus points they received on the 2nd day. Maybe each side should get 8 points for a washout. Being washed out really should see you only being approx 5 points behind a team playing that wins not 8 or 9 , also teams playing and losing end up with similar points to a side washed out, hardly seems fair

I'm pretty sure ATCA have considered given 8 points for a washout to compensate for the loss of bonus points, but there are some issues with that. Ingle Farm are entitled to be frustrated about missing out this way because they would have been at full strength in the finals and would have made life very difficult for anyone they played. Not to be. Let's not forget that 12 months ago, almost to the minute, ATCA called off finals and awarded Ingle Farm the premiership. Ingle Farm finished less than 3 points ahead of PAOC and one of the defining moments of the season was round 8 where the Farmers beat Trinity OS on first innings day 1. The following week, the entire comp was washed out after we had 35mm on the Friday evening. Ingle Farm got 10 match points and Princes got 5. Under your proposal, Princes would have got 8, which may have changed the season outcome their way.
The irony is that weather could ruin the games this Sunday anyway.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:36 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
bulldogs wrote:I’m with Tiger pie, I believe association would of cancelled all games if it wasn’t last minor round game. This is what should of happened, totally unfair that so little games get away. Strange that the only two games that got away in A1was those games that had so much to play for.
I also believe Atca need to look out how they award points for washouts. Teams that didn’t get away got to split the 10 points and get there bonus points from first day, these teams are severely hampered by not getting bonus points on the 2nd day. Grange jumped Ingle farm by the bonus points they received on the 2nd day. Maybe each side should get 8 points for a washout. Being washed out really should see you only being approx 5 points behind a team playing that wins not 8 or 9 , also teams playing and losing end up with similar points to a side washed out, hardly seems fair

I'm pretty sure ATCA have considered given 8 points for a washout to compensate for the loss of bonus points, but there are some issues with that. Ingle Farm are entitled to be frustrated about missing out this way because they would have been at full strength in the finals and would have made life very difficult for anyone they played. Not to be. Let's not forget that 12 months ago, almost to the minute, ATCA called off finals and awarded Ingle Farm the premiership. Ingle Farm finished less than 3 points ahead of PAOC and one of the defining moments of the season was round 8 where the Farmers beat Trinity OS on first innings day 1. The following week, the entire comp was washed out after we had 35mm on the Friday evening. Ingle Farm got 10 match points and Princes got 5. Under your proposal, Princes would have got 8, which may have changed the season outcome their way.
The irony is that weather could ruin the games this Sunday anyway.

Always a well educated read SMG.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:37 am

If its raining, check the radar.
They are pretty spot on in most cases.
If its rained Friday and /or Saturday morning, its cool, and there's no chance of sun to dry it out then common sense says to call it off.
Curators or the person responsible for wicket prep confirms the condition of the pitch and surrounds with secretary's by 10:00 am. Then secretary informs opposition or Heyzer not to bother. If there's uncertainty, like sunshine on the way then turn up as normal.

Our Lo's drove all the way from reynella to pooraka only to see a pitch underwater. That's pretty shit from pooraka.
A simple phone call would've been polite.

All A1 teams should have covers, no excuses.
Yes its a pain in the ass but its uneven when some have and some haven't.
Its just odd that only 1 game got underway and the result burnt two teams pretty badly.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:41 am

ATCA award 8 points for a complete washout in the 2-day comp, to somewhat make up for this.
Some would argue that this isn't enough, and it should be closer to 10 (ie: 5 match points and 5 performance points for two days lost play), and having a quick look you might naturally agree. However I think it is worth noting that you don't want to get to a point where teams are 'encouraged' to not play. There needs to be an incentive to play and earning more points than those that take an iffy washout is part of that incentive.

The current situation where only half the game is washed out, and you don't get any adjustment in performance points is interesting.
Washout day 2 is clearly a bad result for those teams.
However a washout on day 1, doesn't hurt teams too much, as day 2 is then played as one day match and therefore the faster paced game tends to make up for some (not all) of those lost performance points.

I think a perfect system would award as follows:
No play both days - 8 points each
No play day 1 - no adjustment.
No play day 2 - 6 points plus points earned on day 1.

But equally you don't want to set up a series of complex scenarios that teams fail to understand.
Sometimes simpler bylaws, despite them perhaps not being fair or perfect, are often better.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm

The wash out debate is always an interesting one that I don't think anyone has perfect.

I play in the Northern Areas comp which all clubs play on permanently stuck down matting, so for the essence of washed out games very similar to turf in that Friday night rains can see a game called off very easily.

The interesting part in our comp is that teams are as far as 154km away from each other. We have a very simple rule when there has been rain about in that at 11am each home team has to 'call in' and advise as to whether there pitch is ready to play at that exact point in time. We have 4 games in a round if 2 of the pitches are not playable around round is called off and no one is required to attend. Obviously this leaves a little issue with the home team being able to call off a game for their own benefit. The away team does have the right to have 2 players attend the ground and dispute the decision. (Admittedly I've never heard of a team doing that)

Once games get underway the scores/results stand regardless of whether games are then called off due to new rain coming.

Whilst its not a perfect system it works well for that comps needs and issues they face.

I think it going to be almost impossible for ATCA to find the perfect solution. What they need to find is a system that's easy and clear to understand, promotes playing as much as possible but also avoids players attending games which clearly cant get underway.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Whoever Port Districts climbed over the top of in A2 was dealt a rough hand.

Only game to get away, and to get the runs 8 down
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:56 pm

jo172 wrote:Whoever Port Districts climbed over the top of in A2 was dealt a rough hand.

Only game to get away, and to get the runs 8 down

They climbed over Woodville Rechabites. As I have said previously, sometimes it's the luck of the draw. Port Districts just happened to be playing the bottom team who had adequate covers in place. Mind you a 100 run partnership for the ninth wicket helped. Ironically, Woodville Rechabites do have covers, but couldn't get away against Woodville South. I'm not feeling sorry for them. :D
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:24 pm

after all that lets get to the next 2 weeks.

who is winning this week?
who will be premiers?
A1 ,A2 and A3 Medalist?
Team of the year thought?
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:13 am

whufc wrote:The wash out debate is always an interesting one that I don't think anyone has perfect.

I play in the Northern Areas comp which all clubs play on permanently stuck down matting, so for the essence of washed out games very similar to turf in that Friday night rains can see a game called off very easily.

The interesting part in our comp is that teams are as far as 154km away from each other. We have a very simple rule when there has been rain about in that at 11am each home team has to 'call in' and advise as to whether there pitch is ready to play at that exact point in time. We have 4 games in a round if 2 of the pitches are not playable around round is called off and no one is required to attend. Obviously this leaves a little issue with the home team being able to call off a game for their own benefit. The away team does have the right to have 2 players attend the ground and dispute the decision. (Admittedly I've never heard of a team doing that)

Once games get underway the scores/results stand regardless of whether games are then called off due to new rain coming.

Whilst its not a perfect system it works well for that comps needs and issues they face.

I think it going to be almost impossible for ATCA to find the perfect solution. What they need to find is a system that's easy and clear to understand, promotes playing as much as possible but also avoids players attending games which clearly cant get underway.

I just find it the most amazing thing

It's fine to play here but we're not playing because it's raining somewhere else

A cricket association choosing not to play cricket. Like Sir Humphrey's hospital without any patients. At least it's fair though, functions well...
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby no_remorse28 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:30 am

Sonofbrowny25 wrote:after all that lets get to the next 2 weeks.

who will be premiers?
A1 ,A2 and A3 Medalist?

Hopefully Para Hills win it all in A1
Goodwood in A2
Golden Grove A3

Medals
I think Luke Pickford in A1 followed by Fox and Clayfield
Cameron Behrendt in A2 by a landslide
Rajith Premachandra in A3

Team of the year

Matt Cuconits
Shaun Lay
Mark Hanson
Cameron Behrendt
Lachlan Mill
Nathan Fox
Jye Bailey (WK) (C)
Rajith Premachandra
Luke Pickford
Nick Clayfield
Grant Carey
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 am

no_remorse28 wrote:

who will be premiers?
A1 ,A2 and A3 Medalist?

Goodwood in A2
Golden Grove A3

Medals

Team of the year

Matt Cuconits
Shaun Lay
Mark Hanson
Cameron Behrendt
Lachlan Mill
Nathan Fox
Jye Bailey (WK) (C)
Rajith Premachandra
Luke Pickford
Nick Clayfield
Grant Carey

Good to see Shaun Lay in there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
whufc wrote:The wash out debate is always an interesting one that I don't think anyone has perfect.

I just find it the most amazing thing

It's fine to play here but we're not playing because it's raining somewhere else

A cricket association choosing not to play cricket. Like Sir Humphrey's hospital without any patients. At least it's fair though, functions well...

Yeah can definitely see how its not ideal. I guess the point of difference we have is that a couple of the towns Burra/Spalding are arguably the states wettest versus other towns such as Wilmington which are arguably the states driest.

I've only been in the comp one year but im guessing historically it must have caused some inbalances with teams playing a lot more than others or something.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
no_remorse28 wrote:

who will be premiers?
A1 ,A2 and A3 Medalist?

Goodwood in A2
Golden Grove A3

Medals

Team of the year

Matt Cuconits
Shaun Lay
Mark Hanson
Cameron Behrendt
Lachlan Mill
Nathan Fox
Jye Bailey (WK) (C)
Rajith Premachandra
Luke Pickford
Nick Clayfield
Grant Carey

Good to see Shaun Lay in there.

Milney had a good year, was very consistent at the top. The 149* was a very good dig and well paced aswell

The team of the year will be interesting.

i think other than Pickford, Clayfield, Hanson and Cuconitss. who are sure things the rest is very even.
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Harry49 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:52 am

Team of the Year Prediction
1. S Lay
2. M Cuconits
3. C. Behrendt
4. M. Hanson
5. L. Mill
6. J. Bailey (wk) (c)
7. M. Overall
8. N. Fox
9. L. Pickford
10. N. Clayfield
11. G. Carey
12. S. Harvey
13. R Gabb

Honourable mentions:
D. Hiscock
C. Mclean
R. Fry
Harry49
Rookie

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 am

Para Hills went big against Grange .... they are in the GF.
Flinders Park posted a modest score, but as they say ..... runs on the board. Advantage Pooraka .... just
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby tigerpie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Para Hills went big against Grange .... they are in the GF.
Flinders Park posted a modest score, but as they say ..... runs on the board. Advantage Pooraka .... just

What did Flinders pk make.
Obviously too hard to put it on ATCA website. Geez!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps