Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby heater31 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 am

The Hound wrote:Just hurry the F up and make a decision. someone.

Here, Here......its getting a bit tiresome discussing the latest 'rumour' with those who have an interest in South Australian Cricket.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm

oyster wrote:People who play in second rate competitions always believe they are up there with the big boys, with ability and conditions.

oyster wrote:Best leave this discussion to people who have played grade cricket and know a little about it legend.

oyster wrote:Be a good little boy and run along.

Comments like these are part of the reason some cricketers would rather play in their "second rate comp" instead of playing amongst pompous, arrogant pricks in the grade system like yourself.

You don't reckon there a players running around that could slide into a grade setup if they really wanted to commit and were interested?

Disgraceful comments.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4040 times

Postby Aerie » Mon May 02, 2016 12:35 pm

The Hound wrote:Just hurry the F up and make a decision. someone.

Yep. SACA should have stated they wanted West Torrens and Port gone at the very beginning instead of putting the club (and Woodville) through a season of bullshit.

A simple "just because" reason would have been suffice!

After all, these people are put there to make these decisions!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 02, 2016 1:17 pm

When is the SACA AGM? Is there any push from affected grade clubs to have some people nominated for the board?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:30 am

Trader wrote:
C Horse wrote:West Torrens last premiership 2006/07 - and before that..... 1961/62.

1 A grade flag in 52 seasons, that is a concerning stat and one that would be a good reason to put WT in the gun.

10 or so Grand Final losses in that time though. West Torrens have played in more finals during that time than many other clubs.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Magic Johnson wrote:
backoftheroom wrote::shock: Oyster seems to have finally imploded, only a matter of time.

The inquiry is a a strange case though, sure, it will provide some more transparency on SACA's decision making process, but like it was mentioned earlier, in the end it may amount to sweet FA with no way to enforce it. This whole saga has carried on for way to long, its now not only affecting the clubs involved, but also every other club in the comp.

If there was a good enough argument to be kept in the comp it would have been made already, if it has fallen on deaf ears then deal with it; these people are in the position to make such a decision because they were put there, so let them do their jobs. At the end of the day all of grade cricket is losing out thanks to two clubs making a mess and trying to be big dogs when they simply are not.

Are you telling me if any it was any other club under the gun they would bend over and do as SACA say?....don't think so. Every club has the right to fight for its survival. If other clubs are struggling to cope at this point in time with the "mess", then they have bigger issues than WT and Port. As people have said before it has nothing to do with clubs like Glenelg etc....The thousands of people who support WT and Port DO not care if a few precious little egos are bruised through all of this.

Well said Magic, I really don't think Backoftheroom and Daysofourlives get it at all, their bias against WT and PA shows thru in all their posts!

If SACA could show the Clubs why they came up with their decision and show the two reports they used to make it, the Clubs may agree they have good reason and look to merge. But they are refusing to do this. Hence, the parliamentary enquiry, which will force them to do this.

They are shit scared because they know they are going to be caught out. They continue to change their responses to our questions, and have dug themselves further and further into a large hole, as one lie and then another mis truth comes out.

That is why they have approached other Clubs to send out e-mails to members to try and stop this (as Glenelg told us Tony Clifton!!), which just shows how worried they are.

The Clubs will continue to fight as we have nothing to lose, and Heater - I have spoken to several from Adelaide CC who agree they thought they would be one of the Clubs under the pump and would be doing exactly the same thing if it was them, so for people on here to suggest we "get over it and just accept it" is total garbage!

For the record I have no bias against either club, I dont care which clubs are told to merge.
What i do have a problem with is the focus of grade clubs, their primary role is to produce State cricketers not win premierships and most have lost sight of that. To produce better state cricketers we need to reduce the amount of grade clubs, 12 is a nice start but ultimately 10 or even 8 is ideal. It doesnt bother me how SACA arrive at the decision, the end result is what i care about.
Makes sense that the amount of clubs in the West is reduced, it also makes sense that Uni should be gone too but that isnt on the table. Now whether thats because of who's on the board or whatever doesnt bother me.

That statement is like saying it is the job of SANFL clubs to provide players for the AFL rather than to win premierships. As a fellow Central supporter, I definitely favour premierships out of the two options!!
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby The Old Fellow » Wed May 04, 2016 3:09 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
For the record I have no bias against either club, I dont care which clubs are told to merge.
What i do have a problem with is the focus of grade clubs, their primary role is to produce State cricketers not win premierships and most have lost sight of that. To produce better state cricketers we need to reduce the amount of grade clubs, 12 is a nice start but ultimately 10 or even 8 is ideal. It doesnt bother me how SACA arrive at the decision, the end result is what i care about.
Makes sense that the amount of clubs in the West is reduced, it also makes sense that Uni should be gone too but that isnt on the table. Now whether thats because of who's on the board or whatever doesnt bother me.

That statement is like saying it is the job of SANFL clubs to provide players for the AFL rather than to win premierships. As a fellow Central supporter, I definitely favour premierships out of the two options!!
Cheers

Nothing like SANFL clubs to provide players for the AFL. Two completely different competitions.

I wouldn't say grade club's primary role is to produce state cricketers, but it definitely one of their main roles. Their role is to provide the cricket pathway, after community level, for players by providing more advanced coaching and facilities to allow players to improve and obtain their maximum output, (which ultimately produces state cricketers) while ensuring the club can be-sufficient by having success both on and off the field.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby heater31 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:32 am

Any truth to the rumour that West Torrens and Woodville were holding hands at the altar and when they got to the part of forever hold your silence SACA piped up? :shock: :roll:

Also with this supposed select committee it appears the proposer is looking for votes as he is on the outer of his party and has some sharp knives at the ready due to him losing his minister's portfolio a few years ago.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

The Old Fellow wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Cheers

Nothing like SANFL clubs to provide players for the AFL. Two completely different competitions.

I wouldn't say grade club's primary role is to produce state cricketers, but it definitely one of their main roles. Their role is to provide the cricket pathway, after community level, for players by providing more advanced coaching and facilities to allow players to improve and obtain their maximum output, (which ultimately produces state cricketers) while ensuring the club can be-sufficient by having success both on and off the field.

They may be two different sports but they are at the same level as each other in their respective sports. They both sit as the top level of intrastate competition below interstate competition. As such, my statement stands.
Also, at any one time, there would be no more than a dozen or so players from any one club aspiring to reach state level. The vast majority of players in grade cricket will never play state cricket, nor do they have any aims to do so. Thus, are you saying that the competition is irrelevant to the vast majority of its participants?
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby oyster » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Interesting reading through Federal Hansard, from the 2nd of May.

The Minister for Hindmarsh, has brought the subject up in the Federal Parliament.
Things are about to get very interesting
Attachments
ggggggg.jpg
ggggggg.jpg (177.28 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Wed May 04, 2016 5:20 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote: by bulldogproud2 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

The Old Fellow wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Cheers

They may be two different sports but they are at the same level as each other in their respective sports. They both sit as the top level of intrastate competition below interstate competition. As such, my statement stands.
Also, at any one time, there would be no more than a dozen or so players from any one club aspiring to reach state level. The vast majority of players in grade cricket will never play state cricket, nor do they have any aims to do so. Thus, are you saying that the competition is irrelevant to the vast majority of its participants?
Cheers

I was not referring to football and cricket, I was referring to SANFL and AFL being 2 different competitions both at the top level of their particular competitions, with SANFL being an intrastate competition while AFL is a national competition.

I did not say that the competition is irrelevant to the vast majority of its participants, but the clubs need to provide more advanced coaching and facilities to allow players to improve and obtain their maximum output, while ensuring the club can be-sufficient by having success both on and off the field. Producing state cricketers is a by product of the more advanced coaching and better facilities for the players to obtain their maximum output, but it is still one of their main roles.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby The Hound » Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 am

Interesting reading by the Minister for Hindmarsh.

It seems all about the juniors, future potential and financial stability and has just urged SACA to reconsider their decision, nothing about this season's senior / junior results. At least if the Minister doesn't get the votes for anything to happen he can go back to his constituents and say I raised it at a Federal level on your behalf. If ALL the bills have been paid then how stable is the club financially?

Hopefully the many club members who are proud of the club and attended a recent meeting put their hands up to help the few who are holding the club together. I can only imagine the pressure they must be under.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:09 pm

The Hound wrote:Interesting reading by the Minister for Hindmarsh.

It seems all about the juniors, future potential and financial stability and has just urged SACA to reconsider their decision, nothing about this season's senior / junior results. At least if the Minister doesn't get the votes for anything to happen he can go back to his constituents and say I raised it at a Federal level on your behalf. If ALL the bills have been paid then how stable is the club financially?

Hopefully the many club members who are proud of the club and attended a recent meeting put their hands up to help the few who are holding the club together. I can only imagine the pressure they must be under.

Don't think this seasons results have anything to do with it. Especially considering how tough it was on the players with all this crap going on. No coincidence the three clubs involved had no teams in finals in any grades which is extremely rare. Even Woodville who had a team who finished runner up last year in A's dropped to 7th or 8th and admitted it did take its toll in the end.

As for finances, we have never been better off, especially over the last ten years I have been involved at Club. And you are right, the stress on Board members and key people involved has been intense, with a couple struggling with Health due to it all, very sad.

But everyone determined to keep fighting, I know it is dragging on, but we all believe it is worth the fight as the alternative is still too hard to comprehend!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 528 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Absolutely worth it to keep fighting!

Hawthorn almost fell over... four premierships since. Sturt (FC) almost fell over... a flag and a couple of grand finals since.

Things can change quickly. Different people in power in the future may have different views on how to take SA cricket forward.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby oyster » Fri May 06, 2016 1:10 am

I heard a good one tonight at the footy club. It sounds like one of the Swampys life members, has hatched something that will infuriate the SACA when they find out. And there is nothing they can do about stopping him, although they will give it one hell of a shake I think. He will surely get a very stern letter to stop what he's up to, but fair to say that he won't and there is nothing they can do about it, as it seems all above board.

Good on him, for sticking it up the SACA. We could not stop laughing tonight when we were told. Anything to stick it up em' is good.
oyster
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 06, 2016 9:48 am

Any clues? Heritage list the club or something?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 06, 2016 11:53 am

What gets me is that we just endured 20 years of very limited success and very poor results at domestic level, we finish minor premiers and we need to change our vision for the future.
These changes should've been forced 10 years ago when we were in dire straits not now that we are starting to reap some rewards from our home grown talent.

Shoot me down in flames if you need but rather than have forced mergers it would be great if the SACA could merge with the ATCA and create some form of promotion/relegation system like English soccer, this would keep club's identities and history and could have the top 10 strongest cricket teams playing against each other each season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Shoot me down in flames if you need but rather than have forced mergers it would be great if the SACA could merge with the ATCA and create some form of promotion/relegation system like English soccer, this would keep club's identities and history and could have the top 10 strongest cricket teams playing against each other each season.

I like this just for the fact it would keep the best players involved in the game at a competitive level.. but it'll never happen lol
The Bedge
Coach

Postby oyster » Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What gets me is that we just endured 20 years of very limited success and very poor results at domestic level, we finish minor premiers and we need to change our vision for the future.
These changes should've been forced 10 years ago when we were in dire straits not now that we are starting to reap some rewards from our home grown talent.

Shoot me down in flames if you need but rather than have forced mergers it would be great if the SACA could merge with the ATCA and create some form of promotion/relegation system like English soccer, this would keep club's identities and history and could have the top 10 strongest cricket teams playing against each other each season.

Fantastic idea, but the reason many players leave the grade cricket competition, is because they don't want to train 3 nights a week and play nearly every Saturday and Sunday during the season. Plus the longer playing hours.

Like the concept though. Also, I doubt whether the ATCA clubs could come up with grounds and facilities to be of grade cricket standard. All have to have sight boards, covers, etc, etc, etc. A significant outlay for ATCA clubs to play at grade level, when they are promoted.

Even the little things, like having curators working on Saturday night and Sunday mornings adds to the costs to ATCA clubs in grade cricket
oyster
Rookie

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 06, 2016 12:18 pm

oyster wrote:Like the concept though. Also, I doubt whether the ATCA clubs could come up with grounds and facilities to be of grade cricket standard. All have to have sight boards, covers, etc, etc, etc. A significant outlay for ATCA clubs to play at grade level, when they are promoted.

Would think most of the A1 clubs would have reasonable grounds and facilities already wouldn't they?

Also for clubs below that aspire to play higher, they would begin investing in those facilities, so not sure if the outlay would be as significant when promoted.

Plus if they merged, the SACA clubs would obviously fill the entire top division straight up, so gives at least a year or two for clubs to get themselves in a position to move up.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps