Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby oyster » Fri May 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Zartan wrote:
oyster wrote:Like the concept though. Also, I doubt whether the ATCA clubs could come up with grounds and facilities to be of grade cricket standard. All have to have sight boards, covers, etc, etc, etc. A significant outlay for ATCA clubs to play at grade level, when they are promoted.

Would think most of the A1 clubs would have reasonable grounds and facilities already wouldn't they?

Also for clubs below that aspire to play higher, they would begin investing in those facilities, so not sure if the outlay would be as significant when promoted.

Plus if they merged, the SACA clubs would obviously fill the entire top division straight up, so gives at least a year or two for clubs to get themselves in a position to move up.

It's all the small stuff that make the big package. Facilities, sight board, curators on call 5 days a week including Saturday and Sunday, covers and the little things or a big thing really. Grade clubs are not water restricted. Their ovals and pitches get watered far more than ATCA grounds and wickets, because of being in the SACA competition. Turf training nets are also a must have at a grade club. Not many ATCA club have turf training facilities. The list goes on and on. While I like the concept, I think all of these small issues would make it financially impossible for ATCA clubs.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 06, 2016 3:54 pm

I think you under estimate the preparations/facilities of district clubs, or their potential ambitions should such (an unlikely) opportunity arise.
ATCA clubs with ambitions to play in the top flight of that competition would have most of the stuff you mention or would be working towards it.
If you're playing A1/A2, you're taking things pretty seriously.
If they're missing some of the other things, I'd suggest they could be developed, curated, managed if the situation arose.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby oyster » Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I think you under estimate the preparations/facilities of district clubs, or their potential ambitions should such (an unlikely) opportunity arise.
ATCA clubs with ambitions to play in the top flight of that competition would have most of the stuff you mention or would be working towards it.
If you're playing A1/A2, you're taking things pretty seriously.
If they're missing some of the other things, I'd suggest they could be developed, curated, managed if the situation arose.

I think that it would be a great initiative. Think it would be brilliant. I just see the financial restraints as too difficult.
Turf wickets alone to lay cost roughly $25,000-30,000 and then the upkeep, water costs and curating, on top of that.
Many or most ATCA clubs don't have turf training facilities, because of the cost factor.
Their players would not be able to train on artificial surfaces, and then be asked to compete against seasoned grade cricketers on turf.
oyster
Rookie

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Think you're forgetting though, that not all clubs would be required to maintain those standards - only the top clubs, or the ones competing in the top grade, or aspirations to do so.

Most of the A1/A2 clubs, as pointed out, would have the facilities - and if they don't, is it the concern of anyone else if they train on hard wicket? If they struggled against "seasoned grade cricketers" they would end up being demoted anyway, but I suspect a lot would hold their own.

PAOC, Pooraka, SPOC even Walkies and the Para Hills side from a couple years ago would be very competitive I think..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Meh I'm over it anyway lol, doesn't phase me either way hahaha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby oyster » Fri May 06, 2016 6:27 pm

Zartan wrote:Think you're forgetting though, that not all clubs would be required to maintain those standards - only the top clubs, or the ones competing in the top grade, or aspirations to do so.

Most of the A1/A2 clubs, as pointed out, would have the facilities - and if they don't, is it the concern of anyone else if they train on hard wicket? If they struggled against "seasoned grade cricketers" they would end up being demoted anyway, but I suspect a lot would hold their own.

PAOC, Pooraka, SPOC even Walkies and the Para Hills side from a couple years ago would be very competitive I think..

A handful of players would hold their own, but whole teams would not compete with A grade district players. Its the same thing as having A1 amateur footballers trying to compete against SANFL league players. Its exactly the same scenario, except it's cricket.

Certain players would compete very well, but whole sides would get slaughtered. That experiment was conducted last year, when Goodwood Saints played one of the SANFL sides and did not score a goal, in a trial match. I know it's a trial match, but the difference was like chalk and cheese. We all like to believe that the underdog would do well, and every now and then they will, but generally they are a fair way behind in standard.

A good guide would be to say the top side in A1 of the Adelaide Turf competition, would be a top 4 side in B grade district cricket. That's how I think the two competitions stack up against one another. Not far off the mark.
oyster
Rookie

Postby helicopterking » Sat May 07, 2016 12:10 am

A few years ago, I finished early from a A grade district match and went and watched a Grange vs Marion game in A1, and the bowling of the Grange side was better then I had played against that day.
Grade cricket isn't what it used to be 10 years ago, but overall, most A District teams would beat A1s based on depth.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:36 pm

Following on from Glenelg Cricket Club, now Adelaide Cricket Club have sent e-mail to all it's Members requesting they all e-mail their local politicians to stop the Parliamentry Enquiry into SACA and the merger going ahead.

Makes Glenelg's claim that SACA asked all Clubs to do this seem correct. Wonder how many other Clubs have also followed this lead that we have not heard about.

Again, why have Adelaide CC got involved, got nothing to do with them. As Glenelg agreed to once Paul Caica spoke to them. No doubt Neil Ricketts will be getting the same call! They probably realise they should have been under the pump more than WT and PA, as heard from high up people at the club their finances are major concern still. They are lucky that Life Member Shane Bernhardt has been closely involved in the whole process, no conflict of interest there, not!

DELETED
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 528 times

Postby heater31 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Again, why have Adelaide CC got involved, got nothing to do with them. As Glenelg agreed to once Paul Caica spoke to them. No doubt Neil Ricketts will be getting the same call! They probably realise they should have been under the pump more than WT and PA, as heard from high up people at the club their finances are major concern still. They are lucky that Life Member Shane Bernhardt has been closely involved in the whole process, no conflict of interest there, not!

DELETED

You do realise your MP is on the outer of his political party? He is disgruntled at losing his minister's portfolio in a factional war and we believe this is just a stalling tactic and a ploy by Ciaca to get votes at the next election. Same with Matt Williams despite being Liberal he is under the pump in his electorate and is getting desperate to get any traction. He gave us $150 for a trophy this season out of the blue and I suspect he made the same offer to all sports clubs in his electorate.

I will say it again Cricket Australia are behind this as they don't want an uneven number of teams in the South Australian Grade System. Port Adelaide have had issues with Junior numbers mainly due to the pool of players to draw from. Kids provide your future First Grade players.

Adelaide CC would be in no worse financial position than your club. Since the irresponsible management was ousted 3 seasons ago the club has posted 2 solid profits in a row despite difficult economic times making fundraising and sponsorship a thankless task. On the field We have one of the best progression of juniors into First Grade with only maybe 2 players at a maximum not having played junior cricket for the Adelaide Cricket Club. last season. 2 from our Junior ranks are on First Class Contracts, numerous others in State Squads. We are probably fortunate that our Neighbours are in a similar position to us with regards to participation and a future. I dare say if we had a similar situation to your club with our neighbours we would be in the same postition you now find yourself in.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby oyster » Sun May 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Following on from Glenelg Cricket Club, now Adelaide Cricket Club have sent e-mail to all it's Members requesting they all e-mail their local politicians to stop the Parliamentry Enquiry into SACA and the merger going ahead.

Makes Glenelg's claim that SACA asked all Clubs to do this seem correct. Wonder how many other Clubs have also followed this lead that we have not heard about.

Again, why have Adelaide CC got involved, got nothing to do with them. As Glenelg agreed to once Paul Caica spoke to them. No doubt Neil Ricketts will be getting the same call! They probably realise they should have been under the pump more than WT and PA, as heard from high up people at the club their finances are major concern still. They are lucky that Life Member Shane Bernhardt has been closely involved in the whole process, no conflict of interest there, not!

Absolutely nailed it with every point you made :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brilliantly written and said absolutely what everyone else is saying in the cricket world of South Australia.
Deflecting attention away from their own poor performances, onto WT and the Swampys is a great way to do it
oyster
Rookie

Postby Aerie » Sun May 08, 2016 4:35 pm

The longer this goes on the more of a joke it becomes.

There is no doubt there is abuse of power in SA cricket.

Shame on the Adelaide and Glenelg Cricket Clubs.

Fight your battles on the field.

Adelaide Cricket Club in particular are one of the poorly performing clubs that have escaped the scrutiny West Torrens, Port and Woodville have been put through.

How many other clubs will come out with this pathetic tripe the SACA have asked them to write?

So far it seems the only clubs that have come out with public comment are those clubs with people most closely involved with this process in SACA. University, Glenelg and Adelaide.

All that is required is transparency. What an absolute failure this SACA Board is. No wonder South Australian cricket has been so shit for so long.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby ferret » Mon May 09, 2016 11:03 am

The West Torrens/Woodville merger was just about fait accompli. The SACA has asked why the proposal fell over. The question should be asked of SACA why did it fall over?
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 138 times

Postby Stumps » Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Adelaide cc have the city's coat of arms on their crest and have the cities mayor as their patron. They are without doubt the most important club in the comp for this fact alone.
laughable being brought up by people who are seeing the small picture only
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby heater31 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Stumps wrote:Adelaide cc have the city's coat of arms on their crest and have the cities mayor as their patron. They are without doubt the most important club in the comp for this fact alone.
laughable being brought up by people who are seeing the small picture only

From memory only one other club in the world has such an honor of representing their city with the Official Coat of Arms for who they are named after.

Also West Torrens have won 1 First Grade Premiership since 1961/62, Port Adelaide 1 First Grade Premiership since 1967/68, Adelaide have 3 (1974/75, 1998/99 and 2003/04) plus numerous Grand Final appearances. Mostly our successes have been built on home grown players......not shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash and poaching rival club's juniors looking to prop up our First Grade Team.

But the real key is looking into the crystal ball and where our future lies......strong participation in our Zone Schools. Thankfully our neighbouring clubs have a similar situation with their futures also.
heater31

Postby maxi » Mon May 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Why would Adelaide cc email junior parents many who are new to the club like my cousin who has no idea about grade cricket and be asked to sign a letter and send to thier local member, He sent me a copy of the letter which is amatuerish at best by club and president.

Adelaide may be home grown players but when was the last time they made A grade finals? You can all the home grown players you like but if you dont have success it means absoultely nothing. If they are safe why do they feel the need to stop the enquiry? I think they know they were lucky to escape the first cull of clubs and may be at the front of the queue when the next investigation of grade cricket happens.
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby heater31 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:13 pm

maxi wrote:Why would Adelaide cc email junior parents many who are new to the club like my cousin who has no idea about grade cricket and be asked to sign a letter and send to thier local member, He sent me a copy of the letter which is amatuerish at best by club and president.

Adelaide may be home grown players but when was the last time they made A grade finals? You can all the home grown players you like but if you dont have success it means absoultely nothing. If they are safe why do they feel the need to stop the enquiry? I think they know they were lucky to escape the first cull of clubs and may be at the front of the queue when the next investigation of grade cricket happens.

it is no different than getting members of a club/organisation to contact Members of Parliament supporting the motion. 10 other clubs should think themselves as lucky as they were all scrutinised during this process the same way SACA interviewed every club asked questions and were asked questions.
heater31

Postby maxi » Mon May 09, 2016 1:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
maxi wrote:Why would Adelaide cc email junior parents many who are new to the club like my cousin who has no idea about grade cricket and be asked to sign a letter and send to thier local member, He sent me a copy of the letter which is amatuerish at best by club and president.

it is no different than getting members of a club/organisation to contact Members of Parliament supporting the motion. 10 other clubs should think themselves as lucky as they were all scrutinised during this process the same way SACA interviewed every club asked questions and were asked questions.

Its very different youve got a club fighting for thier lives and another club putting the knife in their back .

Can you tell me what Adelaide cc have to gain by doing this.
maxi
Rookie

Postby The Hound » Mon May 09, 2016 2:37 pm

maxi wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Its very different youve got a club fighting for thier lives and another club putting the knife in their back .

In these challening times, supporting the organisation that adminsiter's the game in the state may be benefical for them and by stopping tax payers money being wasted on an inquiry when the SACA has adhered to their constituation. It may also mean your cousin has a local Preimer club to support in the future!

No offence intended Maxi but your counsin may wish to visit the Cricket Australia webiste and read the "Backyard to Baggy Green" publication to give him an idea of where Premier Cricket (formely Grade Cricket) sits in the overall cricket landscape in Australia.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby maxi » Mon May 09, 2016 3:15 pm

The Hound wrote:
maxi wrote:
heater31 wrote:

In these challening times, supporting the organisation that adminsiter's the game in the state may be benefical for them and by stopping tax payers money being wasted on an inquiry when the SACA has adhered to their constituation. It may also mean your cousin has a local Preimer club to support in the future!

No offence intended Maxi but your counsin may wish to visit the Cricket Australia webiste and read the "Backyard to Baggy Green" publication to give him an idea of where Premier Cricket (formely Grade Cricket) sits in the overall cricket landscape in Australia.

Fair enough saca has a competition to run but a club asking the father of an 11 year old who knows nothing of this businees to petition his local MP is a bit rich. Id be surprised if too many follow the clubs lead and I doubt local MP could give a care anyway.
maxi
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:20 pm

maxi wrote:Fair enough saca has a competition to run but a club asking the father of an 11 year old who knows nothing of this businees to petition his local MP is a bit rich. Id be surprised if too many follow the clubs lead and I doubt local MP could give a care anyway.

I'm hearing plenty of MP's are certainly interested in getting both points of view.
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps