Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:44 pm

The rain must be breaking records, Has been ridiculous. We don't seem to get showers anymore, just torrential deluges for hours at a time.

Did a club forfeit their U14 Whites on the weekend? Not a great sign early in the season. Hopefully they can attract a few more players now that school is back.

Early days but TTG look strong once again. Sturt very solid, especially if Alex Gregory is able to bowl 100%. Glenelg's batting very good. Enough bowling support for Pudney? Woodville with Stuart Coles back in are very strong. Need Turley, Francesca and Tietjens to stay ft though.

My wildcards:
1) I like the look of Adelaide's team with all the state guys in there.
2) West Torrens could do some damage if they have Kelvin Smith for most of the season and Spencer Johnson stays fit (rate him!)
3) Mark Cosgrove to win the Bradman Medal?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Homer J » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:18 am

Another forfeit, in the D grade this week. That's 3 forfeits so far in the first 2 rounds of senior and junior cricket with probably more to come when round 2 of the juniors kicks off next week.

Do people still think there's no need to reduce the number of clubs/teams, this is getting embarrassing.
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Homer J wrote:Another forfeit, in the D grade this week. That's 3 forfeits so far in the first 2 rounds of senior and junior cricket with probably more to come when round 2 of the juniors kicks off next week.

Do people still think there's no need to reduce the number of clubs/teams, this is getting embarrassing.

Who has forfeited their games this season?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Plenty of runs today!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Aerie wrote:
Homer J wrote:Another forfeit, in the D grade this week. That's 3 forfeits so far in the first 2 rounds of senior and junior cricket with probably more to come when round 2 of the juniors kicks off next week.

Surely those are the clubs that SACA should be looking at culling, if anyone?
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:50 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Surely those are the clubs that SACA should be looking at culling, if anyone?

Are they neighbors with a western suburbs club?

Either way it's not a good look with the structure of the competition under the microscope.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby mickey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Few whispers I've heard about the struggling teams.....

Northerns forfeited on Saturday after having 2 players available for D grade and Southerns had 3 females playing D grade cricket due to lack of numbers.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Can't see how clubs end up forfeiting games. There's a whole team of U16's moving out of the juniors every year. Kids who played every week the year before. Sure some will drift off to other things but you only need a handful per year to come through to maintain numbers at senior level.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am

mickey wrote:Few whispers I've heard about the struggling teams.....

Northerns forfeited on Saturday after having 2 players available for D grade and Southerns had 3 females playing D grade cricket due to lack of numbers.

Southerns have 2. Both very capable and 1 of them could play 3's
heater31

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:48 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Can't see how clubs end up forfeiting games. There's a whole team of U16's moving out of the juniors every year. Kids who played every week the year before. Sure some will drift off to other things but you only need a handful per year to come through to maintain numbers at senior level.

I'd say the cost of junior rego vs senior rego may play a part in that along with teenage boys wanna have a hit with their mates and mixing it with the older statesmen isn't as appealing for them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Can't see how clubs end up forfeiting games. There's a whole team of U16's moving out of the juniors every year. Kids who played every week the year before. Sure some will drift off to other things but you only need a handful per year to come through to maintain numbers at senior level.

I'd say the cost of junior rego vs senior rego may play a part in that along with teenage boys wanna have a hit with their mates and mixing it with the older statesmen isn't as appealing for them.

That's a fair point. What are the ball park subs figures out of interest?

Mixing with the older guys is an interesting one. Ideally these U16's would have at least had a couple of senior games the year before and/or attended a few trainings. Help them acclimatise, meet a few people, get to know some players. Smooth the transition for the previous season.

If the juniors and seniors were fully separate though I can see how it would seem to be a jump into the unknown.

Might also be that if a couple of juniors head out to senior preseason then a bunch will follow because they know at least a few people who are there. If players hear that Joey and Billy aren't playing then they'll decide I'm not either and it spreads from there. Such a shame because a lot of these kids would have already been in the grade system for 4+ years and would have something to offer.

How good are clubs at mixing their seniors and Under 16 players? Are they completely separate?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:06 am

Very difficult juggling act I find. At our club they train different days and play to a different fixture list some times. Under Age state squad members are given opportunities to train and play seniors but again this gets muddled by School cricket commitments.

Also interesting to note there are some rumblings amongst the parents regarding this school cricket issue. Seems some schools have their ambitions and abilities mixed up.
heater31

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:14 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

That's a fair point. What are the ball park subs figures out of interest?

Mixing with the older guys is an interesting one. Ideally these U16's would have at least had a couple of senior games the year before and/or attended a few trainings. Help them acclimatise, meet a few people, get to know some players. Smooth the transition for the previous season.

If the juniors and seniors were fully separate though I can see how it would seem to be a jump into the unknown.

Might also be that if a couple of juniors head out to senior preseason then a bunch will follow because they know at least a few people who are there. If players hear that Joey and Billy aren't playing then they'll decide I'm not either and it spreads from there. Such a shame because a lot of these kids would have already been in the grade system for 4+ years and would have something to offer.

How good are clubs at mixing their seniors and Under 16 players? Are they completely separate?

I think juniors at Port are around the $150-$200 mark, not sure on the seniors, would think significantly more.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 am

Senior subs would range from $300 - $400 at most senior clubs.. So about double what junior subs are
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:29 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Senior subs would range from $300 - $400 at most senior clubs.. So about double what junior subs are

Would senior subs be similar at Adelaide turf clubs?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Senior subs would range from $300 - $400 at most senior clubs.. So about double what junior subs are

Yes. In some instances it can be cheaper to play Grade cricket once you tally up the weekly umpire fees if you play higher Grades of Turf.
heater31

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:

Can vary. Example, my turf club is on the relatively lower end of the subs scale at $250, but I know my brothers club was in the $350 range..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Trader » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Subs vary a fair bit at turf clubs.
I know of at least 1 club that was $490 two seasons ago, that covered everything.
I know of another club that was $190, but then you were up for a $10 "ball fee" every week, getting you to $400 if you played the season out.

Some clubs include playing atire, others don't. Some expect you to sell raffle books, others don't.

FWIW, my club is $300, no ball or umpire fees. Includes a training top and playing shirt. No raffle books.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Homer J » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:16 am

I don't think cost has a lot to do with it, Most people are happy to pay.
Value for your time & money is more important, if your paying $300+ but also getting some quality coaching and organised training.
Playing in a team at any level, that turn up on time and do proper warm ups and look and play like a professional cricket team I would be happy.

Unfortunately most C & D grade and U16's I've seen over the past few year are far from these minimum requirement of a "Premier Cricket Club".
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:33 am

A few draws yesterday :o

Lots of runs around the place. Makes a nice change from a few years ago when teams were often knocked over for <150 (and were still in the game!). The new curating system and the change of ball at A Grade level having a positive impact?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps