ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 am

so how were the grounds on the weekend?

ours was soft!
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:24 am

Trader wrote:I hear the SPOC skipper may have gone in the book on the weekend?
Anyone from SPOC or Pooraka able to shine any light on it? Didn't sound great.

What have you heard?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 683 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:25 am

Sonofbrowny25 wrote:so how were the grounds on the weekend?

ours was soft!

Ground we played on was ok. Pitch was a little slow early but got better as the day went on.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

Our game against Pembroke got reduced to 45 per side. it was a little soft early but played ok later in the day.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 546 times
Been liked: 478 times

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:55 pm

helicopterking wrote:

What have you heard?

Basically that he wasn't happy with a wide call and wouldn't let the bowler bowl another one until the umpire apologised. Then went on to call the umpire pathetic over and over yelling it all the way from the slip cordon. Apparently it went on for a good 15 minutes.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 810 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Trader wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

What have you heard?

Basically that he wasn't happy with a wide call and wouldn't let the bowler bowl another one until the umpire apologised. Then went on to call the umpire pathetic over and over yelling it all the way from the slip cordon. Apparently it went on for a good 15 minutes.

Wow, Over a wide call?
It is concerning in some of the wide explanations the umpires come up with. So much grey area and it changed with every umpire.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:19 pm

We bowled 26 wides......that's s lot!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 546 times
Been liked: 478 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:08 am

Not 1 leg side wide was called all day. Which I think is wrong.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:11 am

Umpires were clearly given a directive with wides before Saturday because the umps in our A3 game spoke at length to the captains at the toss to advise that anything down leg side would be called wide. The off-side interpretation was more an issue with wides being called when a player showed poor footwork forcing him to reach for the ball and missing, but not being called when a batter got the foot across and missed without reaching for the ball. Bowlers were effectively being punished for a batters poor footwork. In fairness to the umps, both teams got the same treatment.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 299 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby helicopterking » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:32 am

Down the Hill wrote:Umpires were clearly given a directive with wides before Saturday because the umps in our A3 game spoke at length to the captains at the toss to advise that anything down leg side would be called wide. The off-side interpretation was more an issue with wides being called when a player showed poor footwork forcing him to reach for the ball and missing, but not being called when a batter got the foot across and missed without reaching for the ball. Bowlers were effectively being punished for a batters poor footwork. In fairness to the umps, both teams got the same treatment.

Exact opposite with leg side in our A2s match.
They said " if the ball pitches down leg side, but holds it line or goes back towards the keeper, it's a legal delivery.
I pleaded with them to remove the 'grey' area surrounding the leg side wide, and call all balls down leg side a wide, they said no.
Next 1 Dayer we play, the rules will be totally different again.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:35 am

ATCA don't have marks on return crease to use as a guide?
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:38 pm

The 30 yard circle and additional crease lines are an ATCA requirement for when we play 50 over matches, although some clubs will forget to inform the curator. I would still much rather a dubious call or non-call of wide than a dodgy decision.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 299 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby heater31 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The 30 yard circle and additional crease lines are an ATCA requirement for when we play 50 over matches, although some clubs will forget to inform the curator. I would still much rather a dubious call or non-call of wide than a dodgy decision.

In my experience that at least helps to eliminate the off side shocker with the batsman's poor footwork penalising the bowler.
heater31

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 am

Thoughts on second innings bonus points? I like the idea that second innings runs/wickets bonus points should only be rewarded if the game is won outright.. Having to go and field for an hour on the second day of the game that has no chance of an outright result genuinely turns people off 2 day cricket, especially in B/C grades..

People will say all points count and what if it comes down to half a point in the race for finals, well I'd prefer the side who plays better first innings cricket be rewarded with finals than the side who got an extra point or 2 because they took some cheap dead rubber wickets at the end of day 2.. Just my thoughts
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:28 am

human_torpedo wrote:Thoughts on second innings bonus points? I like the idea that second innings runs/wickets bonus points should only be rewarded if the game is won outright.. Having to go and field for an hour on the second day of the game that has no chance of an outright result genuinely turns people off 2 day cricket, especially in B/C grades..

People will say all points count and what if it comes down to half a point in the race for finals, well I'd prefer the side who plays better first innings cricket be rewarded with finals than the side who got an extra point or 2 because they took some cheap dead rubber wickets at the end of day 2.. Just my thoughts

There needs to be incentive to play a 2nd innings though and chase those outrights - what if you do everything right and fall a few runs short or a wicket short of an outright? All that hard work is for nothing if you aren't at least awarded bonus points, and teams would then start calling the game after the first innings - could see some very early finishes to games.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Zartan wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Thoughts on second innings bonus points? I like the idea that second innings runs/wickets bonus points should only be rewarded if the game is won outright.. Having to go and field for an hour on the second day of the game that has no chance of an outright result genuinely turns people off 2 day cricket, especially in B/C grades..

There needs to be incentive to play a 2nd innings though and chase those outrights - what if you do everything right and fall a few runs short or a wicket short of an outright? All that hard work is for nothing if you aren't at least awarded bonus points, and teams would then start calling the game after the first innings - could see some very early finishes to games.

Then you introduce a rule that play must continue until 5pm where the captains must agree to call it off. Otherwise continue.

Grade cricket got rid of their 2nd innings points years ago, very rare that you got a sniff of an outright win by 5pm, unless they were absolute spuds.
heater31

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm

heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Then you introduce a rule that play must continue until 5pm where the captains must agree to call it off. Otherwise continue.

Grade cricket got rid of their 2nd innings points years ago, very rare that you got a sniff of an outright win by 5pm, unless they were absolute spuds.

ATCA C Grade comp does not have bonus points in second innings. Captains can agree to call the game off at the completion of first innings, so long as it is no earlier than the tea break. Generally works OK, but there are occasions where one captain wants to quit and the the other wants to play on. The main issue with finishing games early is that it makes it more difficult to get numbers back to your club for presentations.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

ATCA C Grade comp does not have bonus points in second innings. Captains can agree to call the game off at the completion of first innings, so long as it is no earlier than the tea break. Generally works OK, but there are occasions where one captain wants to quit and the the other wants to play on. The main issue with finishing games early is that it makes it more difficult to get numbers back to your club for presentations.

Which is why it should be the last hour of play optional.

2 hours before scheduled stumps gives blokes opportunity to head home first, sit on the couch and forget to get back up in time to head to the club. At least with one hour it can sometimes take you that long to get there in the first place depending on who you are playing.
heater31

Postby The Old Fellow » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Thoughts on second innings bonus points? I like the idea that second innings runs/wickets bonus points should only be rewarded if the game is won outright.. Having to go and field for an hour on the second day of the game that has no chance of an outright result genuinely turns people off 2 day cricket, especially in B/C grades..

People will say all points count and what if it comes down to half a point in the race for finals, well I'd prefer the side who plays better first innings cricket be rewarded with finals than the side who got an extra point or 2 because they took some cheap dead rubber wickets at the end of day 2.. Just my thoughts[/quote]
There needs to be incentive to play a 2nd innings though and chase those outrights - what if you do everything right and fall a few runs short or a wicket short of an outright? All that hard work is for nothing if you aren't at least awarded bonus points, and teams would then start calling the game after the first innings - could see some very early finishes to games.[/quote]

[quote]

So if you are making it compulsory to play until 5 when there is no chance of an outright, why not play until 6 and an opportunity may open up for an outright.

What you are saying if a first innings result is achieved at 4 play for another hour for nothing. Captains should have the right to call it when they want.

Fully support Zartan's comments

Just because SACA stopped second innings points except for an outright why do others have to follow suit. Not too many would say that the overall SACA set up is ideal. They need to get their own house in order and let the other associations and clubs set and play under their own rules.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Computer Crashed » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:49 pm

System works fine for mine.
It ain't broke.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times