Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 pm

the star wrote:I think you will find Chris Duval will still be heavily involved throughout pre season coaching along with Matt Wright who is a teacher by trade and is involved with junior SACA squads and has a real passion for Cricket and the Jets - both are quality people too!

Gatting you would imagine would arrive about a month prior to the season and would have 8-10 session with the squad face to face prior to round one.

Cosgrove to return and I'm hearing another big name will be involved at the Jets this season in some capacity.

As far as committee goes I'm led to believe they have a few new faces on board with some strong business and sporting links.

I think a fair bit of what has been said on here points to its all over for the club. Clubs go through rough patches and a pretty bad picture can be painted by outsiders who speculate.

All clubs lose players year in year out for various reasons, In my opinion the calibre of players running around at Lindblom Park in the ATCA left due to the commitment required of grade cricketers and the appointment of a coach that didn't work for them (plus incentives that were on offer). These players would obviously add huge depth around the Jets but they are gone and all enjoying a much more relaxed cricket environment. The Jets were facing a 'rebuild' replacement of players quicker then probably they would have liked.

The country zone has always been a tough one in particular for juniors. Ill hold on commenting to much here as I'm not sure what has taken place the last few seasons in terms of effort from the Jets, but i do know it is a lot easier to play cricket in the Barossa and start at lunchtime then drive to any away grade venue and be on the road early. Yes i know there are people that do this for other clubs on a weekly basis so i am a little unsure why the Barossa guys tend to head back to Barossa from 18 onwards. Id assume mates, convenience and the turf pitches available in the Barossa.

Anyway the short of it all is the Jets need to keep 99% of their players and also find a couple others for the top end of the squad and hopefully they can build some depth over next 2-3 years.

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Happycamper wrote:I would be interested in your thoughts Port Pirie Power. I have heard that the Joe Gatting appointment has been well received with the Northerns playing group, and may help to retain Coop.
The players seem to understand what the problem is there - thoughts?

I think the Joe Gatting appointment is a positive addition as he as a player will help the club out significantly, I'm not convinced his coaching will sort the club get on the right track. I know that he and Cooper are very close, and are pretty good mates with each other, so I'm sure that is going to be a factor that would come into Cooper's consideration.

I have heard that Cooper has had face to face meetings with at least 3 other clubs, both grade and turf cricket.

It's interesting because my take on the Northerns situation is that the committee is a big problem their, they are a group of independents who are almost forces together to make a committee. I also know and have heard that their is a toxic group of players and in my opinion "has beens" that are holding positions up from the youth and are making certain individuals uncomfortable.

I'm sure it will be an interesting month for Northerns as they could have another disastrous season next year like last, or turn it upside down and this next month or 2 will be crucial in how their season will go in my opinion.

Don't think anybody here has questioned how good a people Duval and Wright are anywhere, however with a season of 1 win it's ludicrous that they are even on the coaching staff again. Imagine what an AFL club or an SANFL club would do to coaching staff that won only won one game..... Think you need to think of the bigger picture as the amount of supposedly good people in that club will ultimately lead to its downfall.

In my opinion the jets need a change in culture and by keeping the same people around I'm totally unsure how that will happen.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby wedgetail » Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Eagles2017 wrote:
the star wrote:
The country zone has always been a tough one in particular for juniors. Ill hold on commenting to much here as I'm not sure what has taken place the last few seasons in terms of effort from the Jets, but i do know it is a lot easier to play cricket in the Barossa and start at lunchtime then drive to any away grade venue and be on the road early. Yes i know there are people that do this for other clubs on a weekly basis so i am a little unsure why the Barossa guys tend to head back to Barossa from 18 onwards. Id assume mates, convenience and the turf pitches available in the Barossa.

Hey guys new to this forum enjoy the depth insights you all seem to have!
Interesting point from the star ie the country zones, i would agree Northerns have traditionally lost their talent country players back to the country. What teams (if any) have the best track record with their country zone. I can think of a few young lads west torrens have had come out of the YP but apart from that i cant think of many clubs with more than 1 maybe 2 in the senior ranks?

FYI eagles in my name = WWTFC not West Torrens, hopefully my boys can follow in West torrens footsteps to the flag this year!

Welcome aboard Eagles 2017, good to see some more Eagles followers contributing and yes, it would be great if the WWTFC could follow in the footsteps of the WTDCC and win the flag. The reverse happened in 2006 when the footy side won then followed by the cricket. Another coincidence was that in 2006, WT Baseball club won, as they have done this year to share with the cricket!
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 90 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am

The Hound wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?

Offering scholarships to 12 year olds?

LM - Believe there is a bit of an connection between AHS and ACC, maybe even Henley as well :D

I know of a 12 year old kid being offered a scholarship at AHS because of cricket, it will backfire.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7946 times

Postby the star » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 am

Port Pirie Power wrote:
the star wrote:I think you will find Chris Duval will still be heavily involved throughout pre season coaching along with Matt Wright who is a teacher by trade and is involved with junior SACA squads and has a real passion for Cricket and the Jets - both are quality people too!

Gatting you would imagine would arrive about a month prior to the season and would have 8-10 session with the squad face to face prior to round one.

Cosgrove to return and I'm hearing another big name will be involved at the Jets this season in some capacity.

As far as committee goes I'm led to believe they have a few new faces on board with some strong business and sporting links.

I think a fair bit of what has been said on here points to its all over for the club. Clubs go through rough patches and a pretty bad picture can be painted by outsiders who speculate.

All clubs lose players year in year out for various reasons, In my opinion the calibre of players running around at Lindblom Park in the ATCA left due to the commitment required of grade cricketers and the appointment of a coach that didn't work for them (plus incentives that were on offer). These players would obviously add huge depth around the Jets but they are gone and all enjoying a much more relaxed cricket environment. The Jets were facing a 'rebuild' replacement of players quicker then probably they would have liked.

Anyway the short of it all is the Jets need to keep 99% of their players and also find a couple others for the top end of the squad and hopefully they can build some depth over next 2-3 years.

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Happycamper wrote:I would be interested in your thoughts Port Pirie Power. I have heard that the Joe Gatting appointment has been well received with the Northerns playing group, and may help to retain Coop.

I think the Joe Gatting appointment is a positive addition as he as a player will help the club out significantly, I'm not convinced his coaching will sort the club get on the right track. I know that he and Cooper are very close, and are pretty good mates with each other, so I'm sure that is going to be a factor that would come into Cooper's consideration.

I have heard that Cooper has had face to face meetings with at least 3 other clubs, both grade and turf cricket.

It's interesting because my take on the Northerns situation is that the committee is a big problem their, they are a group of independents who are almost forces together to make a committee. I also know and have heard that their is a toxic group of players and in my opinion "has beens" that are holding positions up from the youth and are making certain individuals uncomfortable.

I'm sure it will be an interesting month for Northerns as they could have another disastrous season next year like last, or turn it upside down and this next month or 2 will be crucial in how their season will go in my opinion.

Don't think anybody here has questioned how good a people Duval and Wright are anywhere, however with a season of 1 win it's ludicrous that they are even on the coaching staff again. Imagine what an AFL club or an SANFL club would do to coaching staff that won only won one game..... Think you need to think of the bigger picture as the amount of supposedly good people in that club will ultimately lead to its downfall.

In my opinion the jets need a change in culture and by keeping the same people around I'm totally unsure how that will happen.

So your answer is to get rid of everyone at the club that wants to be there?

If you don't have the cattle it is hard to win matches, as mentioned the loss of a few good cricketers to Pooraka a few seasons ago, as well as the loss of a few others down the grades back to Adelaide turf and local cricket has hurt the Jets a lot - this cant be blamed on Duval and Wright, who are doing the best with what they have. The coach I eluded to earlier is no longer at the club.

As mentioned if they can keep 99% of players (Marks retired) the addition of Gatting and maybe a top end recruit or two and some sold B graders who can step up to A grade - then like most clubs they will be better off.
the star
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?

LM - Believe there is a bit of an connection between AHS and ACC, maybe even Henley as well :D

I know of a 12 year old kid being offered a scholarship at AHS because of cricket, it will backfire.

A scholarship to a public school?

Does doing the cricket program cost parents extra money?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:[quote="The Hound"]H31 - any truth that the buffs have already been active in the junior playing market?, will the opposition clubs clear there players who are under 16?

A scholarship to a public school?

Does doing the cricket program cost parents extra money?[/quote]
Well there is the extra cost of trips interstate ;)

Scholarship in the public system I think means you can jump the queue to a zoned school of which AHS is heavily enforced due to enrolment pressure.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Ah ok, but that applies to every kid in the cricket program then
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:A scholarship to a public school?

I'm waiting to see and hear how this pans out. I will post once I hear any developments, I know there was some form of meeting last week as a final step in the process.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7946 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 11, 2017 2:53 pm

A meeting between club and parents? Or school and parents?

Or all three?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby thevoice » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

[/quote]

In my opinion the jets need a change in culture and by keeping the same people around I'm totally unsure how that will happen.[/quote]

If you don't have the cattle it is hard to win matches, as mentioned the loss of a few good cricketers to Pooraka a few seasons ago, as well as the loss of a few others down the grades back to Adelaide turf and local cricket has hurt the Jets a lot - this cant be blamed on Duval and Wright, who are doing the best with what they have. The coach I eluded to earlier is no longer at the club.

As mentioned if they can keep 99% of players (Marks retired) the addition of Gatting and maybe a top end recruit or two and some sold B graders who can step up to A grade - then like most clubs they will be better off.[/quote]

Hasn't Marks gone to Grange for serious $$$?
thevoice
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 11, 2017 3:32 pm

In terms of the Jets and their country zone, there seems to have been a fair bit of traffic from Gawler to TTG in recent years. Why is that?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Hound » Thu May 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Rosenthal from Pt Adelaide to Woody Recs
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Hasn't Marks gone to Grange for serious $$$?[/quote]

Steve Marks signed at Pooraka last week.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu May 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

[/quote]

In my opinion the jets need a change in culture and by keeping the same people around I'm totally unsure how that will happen.[/quote]

As mentioned if they can keep 99% of players (Marks retired) the addition of Gatting and maybe a top end recruit or two and some sold B graders who can step up to A grade - then like most clubs they will be better off.[/quote]

As a former player of the club and someone who still follows the club very regularly I'll tell you that my answer was not to "get rid of everyone at the club that wants to be there". However being able to look in there are far too many people on the commitee/coaching staff that may want to help out but are not fulfilling their role. Lets not forget that these coaches are being paid and are not volunteers, therefore results of the club should definitely come into consideration....

The Jets you could argue had 2 players leave to Pooraka (Hanson, Bailey). Whereas Amundsen was told that he wouldnt be required in the A grade as they wanted to bring younger bowlers through, the next younger bowlers haven't fulfilled their potential as of yet and have hurt the coach that you speak of.

Their is no way to tell until a ball is bowled as to what the best answer will be...
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 11, 2017 8:55 pm

^
Learn to quote, noobs ;)

Here's my ranking of the best grounds in the competition. Only including pitch and outfield in my ratings. Nothing about changerooms, sightscreens, clubrooms, parking, atmosphere, ambiance, scenery, spectator facilities, nearby eateries...

Best - Woodville

Outstanding but just below Woodville - University, Glenelg

Very good - Parkinson, Port Reserve, Henley, Glandore

Ok but not at the level of the other grounds - Price Memorial, Campbelltown, Prospect, Salisbury, Pertaringa, Bice

Overall a pretty damn good collection of grounds at the moment. Bar has certainly been raised from a few years ago. Even those six I've put in my 'ok' category are bloody good really. Players spoiled nowadays compared to the raging green tops and/or low dusty tracks that grade cricket used to dish up!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Aeropti » Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Uni streets ahead of Woodville if you can include surroundings etc.

Also Woodville is an absolute road, 400 vs 400 type stuff. Uni can have a bit more in for the bowlers firsr session from my (limited) experience.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu May 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I'm waiting to see and hear how this pans out. I will post once I hear any developments, I know there was some form of meeting last week as a final step in the process.

Henley has scholarships for a range of sports. Seaton does baseball, Woodville does music, there are plenty out there. Adelaide has languages, rowing cricket and want to do footy too

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu May 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Henley has scholarships for a range of sports. Seaton does baseball, Woodville does music, there are plenty out there. Adelaide has languages, rowing cricket and want to do footy too

What does that actually mean though? They waive your school fees?

Henley has a live in program for its sports for country students. Do scholarship students get to live there for nothing? Does it cost other kids?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Burras » Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Golden Grove has Touch Football and Dance.....
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 am

Dogwatcher wrote:In terms of the Jets and their country zone, there seems to have been a fair bit of traffic from Gawler to TTG in recent years. Why is that?

Travis Head is your answer. Cammo was also involved with the Trinity College side for a while too if im not mistaken
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps