Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2017 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Think you could be a bit harsh on young tilbrook. Young quicks barely break onto the A grade scene and stay there without ever being dropped, kids got talent and no doubt is a B grader at this stage. However give him his time, might take 4/5 years but i think any 18/19 yr old playing 2s has the potential to play 1s. To be honest cant think of many 19 year olds leading A grade attacks this year? West torrens had spencer who has always had the potential to go to the next level, they also had williams who no doubt benefited massivly from the year before where he got the experience leading the attack. Apart from those two i dont think the talent is outstanding, pengelly at adelaide is still new to a grade, fox at glenelg is hit and miss, daniel at prospect has had his moments. Any ive missed? Cant actually think of any others that play 10+ A grade games this year. Obviously david grant as well but he's always been eyelined for higher honours
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby heater31 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Eagles2017 wrote:Think you could be a bit harsh on young tilbrook. Young quicks barely break onto the A grade scene and stay there without ever being dropped, kids got talent and no doubt is a B grader at this stage. However give him his time, might take 4/5 years but i think any 18/19 yr old playing 2s has the potential to play 1s. To be honest cant think of many 19 year olds leading A grade attacks this year? West torrens had spencer who has always had the potential to go to the next level, they also had williams who no doubt benefited massivly from the year before where he got the experience leading the attack. Apart from those two i dont think the talent is outstanding, pengelly at adelaide is still new to a grade, fox at glenelg is hit and miss, daniel at prospect has had his moments. Any ive missed? Cant actually think of any others that play 10+ A grade games this year. Obviously david grant as well but he's always been eyelined for higher honours

Signs are not good though, move clubs to gain more opportunity but within 12 months find yourself in your new club's thirds......up to the player to see if they want to do the work.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Was he a strongly built kid as a 14/15 year old? Sometimes those kids impress early but then their pace plateaus. If the they've relied on raw pace as a youngster sometimes they haven't had to develop the skills. Get found out later. Not too late to learn some subtleties though.

Does seem to be a shortage of young quicks around. The U/19's last year opened with spin quite often. I really like Ashley Judd. Left armer from Sturt. Silky smooth action. Country lad I think.

Tate Robins is a little bit older but I reckon could be a serious bowler. Has an extra 10-15km/hr up the sleeve with a bit of work on run up and action.

Cameron Fatchen looks alright and took some wickets after Christmas this year.

Tim Oakley TTG is pretty raw but bowls a heavy ball. Has got something.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Tom Hynes from Southern Districts looks like he could be OK, as with Harry Thoman from Woodville. Both are good height and bowl a steady pace. They don't play as much A grade as others however.

Wickets wise think Cooper Thompson from Northern Districts is the best performer out of the group of players named. Took a 5 fa against West Torrens and nearly got the Jets over the line that game. Has played a fair bit of A Grade cricket now and seems to take consistent wickets. Doesn't help bowling on a low slow Salisbury oval wicket every second week either. Batters paradise out there if the outfield was in better knick.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm

heater31 wrote:
Eagles2017 wrote:Think you could be a bit harsh on young tilbrook. Young quicks barely break onto the A grade scene and stay there without ever being dropped, kids got talent and no doubt is a B grader at this stage. However give him his time, might take 4/5 years but i think any 18/19 yr old playing 2s has the potential to play 1s. To be honest cant think of many 19 year olds leading A grade attacks this year? West torrens had spencer who has always had the potential to go to the next level, they also had williams who no doubt benefited massivly from the year before where he got the experience leading the attack. Apart from those two i dont think the talent is outstanding, pengelly at adelaide is still new to a grade, fox at glenelg is hit and miss, daniel at prospect has had his moments. Any ive missed? Cant actually think of any others that play 10+ A grade games this year. Obviously david grant as well but he's always been eyelined for higher honours

Signs are not good though, move clubs to gain more opportunity but within 12 months find yourself in your new club's thirds......up to the player to see if they want to do the work.

Are you talking about one of your bowlers H31 ;)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Rookie senior coach appointed at Glenelg, comes out of their junior coaching structure.

Apart from Sturt and ND's any other coaching appointments announced?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 pm

The Hound wrote:Rookie senior coach appointed at Glenelg, comes out of their junior coaching structure.

Good appointment. You'd think he'd have a good relationship with the kids who are recently out of juniors. Perfect for that role.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Happycamper » Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:Tom Hynes from Southern Districts looks like he could be OK, as with Harry Thoman from Woodville. Both are good height and bowl a steady pace. They don't play as much A grade as others however.

Wickets wise think Cooper Thompson from Northern Districts is the best performer out of the group of players named. Took a 5 fa against West Torrens and nearly got the Jets over the line that game. Has played a fair bit of A Grade cricket now and seems to take consistent wickets. Doesn't help bowling on a low slow Salisbury oval wicket every second week either. Batters paradise out there if the outfield was in better knick.

Is Cooper staying at Northerns PPP? Probably does need to go if he is as unhappy there as suggested. With no bowling recruits announced he will be left holding up an ordinary bowling line up with little opportunity to learn. Have they offered him cash to stay?
Happycamper
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby backoftheroom » Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Happycamper wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:Tom Hynes from Southern Districts looks like he could be OK, as with Harry Thoman from Woodville. Both are good height and bowl a steady pace. They don't play as much A grade as others however.

Is Cooper staying at Northerns PPP? Probably does need to go if he is as unhappy there as suggested. With no bowling recruits announced he will be left holding up an ordinary bowling line up with little opportunity to learn. Have they offered him cash to stay?

Better putting money in a pile and throwing a match on it than give it to Cooper Thompson to stay. Questionable history on some social media sites and not a good enough player to warrant giving vital funds to. Hynes not too bad a bowler, impressive in patches but need confidence.

Thoman not good enough and almost resented by the majority of the A Grade group as they have big doubts over his ability. Woodville spiraling next season I think, some big personalities and not very many tough calls being made.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed May 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Happycamper wrote:

HC, I'm not entirely sure what he's doing next year, however I'm 75% sure that he is all but gone. To my understanding they haven't offered him any cash and to keep him at the Jets with no other bowlers they'd have to offer him a truck load of it! It's sad to hear these things from people currently and formerly involved in the club, that a kid with decent talent and with a mammoth family connection with the club would even consider leaving. probably a huge indicator that things are going rotten at Salisbury.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Eagles2017 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:47 pm

backoftheroom wrote:
Happycamper wrote:

Better putting money in a pile and throwing a match on it than give it to Cooper Thompson to stay. Questionable history on some social media sites and not a good enough player to warrant giving vital funds to. Hynes not too bad a bowler, impressive in patches but need confidence.

Thoman not good enough and almost resented by the majority of the A Grade group as they have big doubts over his ability. Woodville spiraling next season I think, some big personalities and not very many tough calls being made.

Woodville are an interesting case backoftheroom, what is going on down there!? Their list of players looks good on paper but they just failled to have any impact since making the GF few years ago. They will be interesting this year, coles, tietjens, hoffman (injury) all out, dickman in and turley back from injury (thoman back to 2s). Who captains? Any other new players? Their major lack of B grade quality is hurting them as a club
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Port Pirie Power » Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 pm

You'd assume that Nielsen or Andrews would become captain? Potentially Turley or maybe McInerny???
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Aerie » Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Which clubs pay their players and which clubs don't?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Aerie wrote:Which clubs pay their players and which clubs don't?

Interesting question. We had pommy Dom Bess playing this year, the previous year he played at Northerns. They got $50 per player in A Grade per win, so last year they won quite a few games and he got some coin (would not have cost them much this year!!).

With us only losing one game for the year, Dom was quite disappointed when he found out we don't pay players at West Torrens, think he was looking forward to the cash as a going away present!

Grade players that at the end of their career go to Turf Clubs, like ours go to Grange, reckon they cash in then and get few hundred bucks a game, fair enough. Not sure of any clubs that pay their players, besides stories like transfers, ie Nick Winter to Adelaide Uni gave him $10k.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 528 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:You'd assume that Nielsen or Andrews would become captain? Potentially Turley or maybe McInerny???

I would of thought Harry Neilsen be captain next year for sure. Woodville seem to be going down the same path as Port, will have nearly full A Grade team with no home grown talent.

Teams like West Torrens, Kensington, Glenelg, Adelaide playing all their good juniors now in 1st Grade and will reap the benefits more I think.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Aerie wrote:Which clubs pay their players and which clubs don't?

Interesting question. We had pommy Dom Bess playing this year, the previous year he played at Northerns. They got $50 per player in A Grade per win, so last year they won quite a few games and he got some coin (would not have cost them much this year!!).

With us only losing one game for the year, Dom was quite disappointed when he found out we don't pay players at West Torrens, think he was looking forward to the cash as a going away present!

Grade players that at the end of their career go to Turf Clubs, like ours go to Grange, reckon they cash in then and get few hundred bucks a game, fair enough. Not sure of any clubs that pay their players, besides stories like transfers, ie Nick Winter to Adelaide Uni gave him $10k.

Think all clubs pay players but that depends on your definition of 'paying' players. I reckon everyone would have helped out a new interstate recruit or overseas players with some expenses.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby maxi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Adelaide still dont have a coach although I heard apponitment not far away. Anyone heard a name?
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:40 am

Would Dan Cullen be interested? Not sure how it finished with him and Adelaide when he left.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby bunji » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 pm

"With us only losing one game for the year, Dom was quite disappointed when he found out we don't pay players at West Torrens, think he was looking forward to the cash as a going away present!" (Eagles 2014)

Interesting comment, I was in a conversation where Dom Bess spoke about how much he loved his season at West Torrens and was very positive about particular people in the club and what they had done for him. You have posted this on a public forum (Eagles 2014) so what evidence do you have to substantiate what you are saying?

As I know the people who set him up at West Torrens I find it confusing this was said and that you have posted this after listening to him speak, I am sure the people involved will be interested and will want to follow this up with Dom.

My understanding is that the cultural changes that occurred at the club were the result of some distinct changes made by the people in charge who are very focused on the well being of all the players and ensuring that it was a great place to play with a total focus on a quality team environment. This was evidenced by their first grade totally dominating the competition, having been to final day of the first grade final and witnessed the support of their players/membership it is confusing to hear that Dom was disappointed in not being paid, as this was not my understanding.

I await your reply with interest.
bunji
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:47 pm

bunji wrote:"With us only losing one game for the year, Dom was quite disappointed when he found out we don't pay players at West Torrens, think he was looking forward to the cash as a going away present!" (Eagles 2014)

Interesting comment, I was in a conversation where Dom Bess spoke about how much he loved his season at West Torrens and was very positive about particular people in the club and what they had done for him. You have posted this on a public forum (Eagles 2014) so what evidence do you have to substantiate what you are saying?

As I know the people who set him up at West Torrens I find it confusing this was said and that you have posted this after listening to him speak, I am sure the people involved will be interested and will want to follow this up with Dom.

My understanding is that the cultural changes that occurred at the club were the result of some distinct changes made by the people in charge who are very focused on the well being of all the players and ensuring that it was a great place to play with a total focus on a quality team environment. This was evidenced by their first grade totally dominating the competition, having been to final day of the first grade final and witnessed the support of their players/membership it is confusing to hear that Dom was disappointed in not being paid, as this was not my understanding.

I await your reply with interest.

Everything you say is true Bunji, you have summed it up perfectly. Using the word "disappointed" was probably bad choice of words by me. It was more a tongue in cheek comment by Dom, along the lines of we have won 15 games, times $50, be nice little bonus. He was not annoyed with the Club at all, after one year at Northerns he may have thought that's what all Clubs do. His best mate George Hankins was at Bays, not sure if they pay players for wins and they discussed it.

The Club did do everything to help Dom and I know he loved it with us, all the players loved having him and his Cousin around the place. His accommodation arrangements in the end did get messy and he had to go live with Hankins in the end, so we need to thank the Bays for letting that happen.

Dom speaks so highly of West Torrens, and the atmosphere around the place last season was obviously amazing, so I apologize for a bad choice of words (and probably no smiley face afterwards!!).
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps