Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
Happycamper wrote:Anyone else hearing that Cosgrove may be looking at options?

I heard that TTG were close but that he'd decided to stay at the Jets. This was ages ago though.

Yes he was definitely close to joining the Gullies and had decided to stay due to his family being a big part of NDCC. This was all before he had left for the UK Summer.

Heard from the AGM that his Dad, Pat had resigned/told to resign from the Chairman position. Whether this has changed Mark's mind I'm unsure however possibly it has.

Led to believe he has taken the $ on offer at Pooraka
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Trader » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm

The Myth wrote:Agree Zartan it's not what it once was but I reckon you are drawing a hell of a long bow if you think players in A2 and 3 could make it at grade level. Some of those blokes facing a Winter, Benton or Neate wouldn't make for good watching.
Out of interest who would be the better players in A1? Hanson, Bailey and Dent?

Yeah, its always an interesting debate.
Can make cases both ways.

Mark Cosgrove played a T20 for Pooraka against Pembroke (A1 side who got relegated finishing outright bottom with 0 wins, 10 losses and an outright loss). Chasing 120 odd, Cosgrove batted through the innings for 41* falling short of the target.
That alone would suggest there isn't a huge gap between Premier Grade and ATCA.
Sure, its an extremely isolated example, but you get what I mean.

Probably a better example would be guys who have gone the other way.

Justin Ifold was always a solid turf cricketer, but never destroyed the comp - 294 runs in 2012/13, 265 in 13/14 and 258 in 14/15.
Moved back to Southern Districts in 15/16 and piled on over 550 runs including a bloody handy 41 batting at number 4 to win the A-grade flag.

English played A1 in 2012/13 and made 308 runs at 19. Two years later he made 408 at an average of 29 playing A-grade for Uni.

I would suggest there is at least a dozen players in A1 that could make an impact at either A or B grade district level:
Hanson, Cox, Knight, Gabb, Hill, Solomon, Bailey, Barnes, Oswald-Jacobs, Dent, Knowles, Amundsen, Muldoon.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 810 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
Happycamper wrote:Anyone else hearing that Cosgrove may be looking at options?

I heard that TTG were close but that he'd decided to stay at the Jets. This was ages ago though.

Yes he was definitely close to joining the Gullies and had decided to stay due to his family being a big part of NDCC. This was all before he had left for the UK Summer.

Heard from the AGM that his Dad, Pat had resigned/told to resign from the Chairman position. Whether this has changed Mark's mind I'm unsure however possibly it has.

Led to believe he has taken the $ on offer at Pooraka

Gee that's interesting! I wouldn't have thought that would be true to be honest!

Do Pooraka really need him???
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Led to believe he has taken the $ on offer at Pooraka

Gee that's interesting! I wouldn't have thought that would be true to be honest!

Not really. Pooraka are playing with fire here, because if they keep on raiding Northern Districts with paying players it will be only a matter of time before SACA get involved and bring in a similar system that we see in Football in limiting player payments....
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby The Myth » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Absolutely they don't need him. I can't imagine that he is walking out on Northerns. Especially not in there darkest hour.
The Myth

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:26 pm

The Myth wrote:Absolutely they don't need him. I can't imagine that he is walking out on Northerns. Especially not in there darkest hour.

Can Northerns darkest hour get darker apart from Joe Gatting they haven't recruited and really do not have a proper coach. Scary to think that things may get worse!
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Happycamper » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:
The Myth wrote:Absolutely they don't need him. I can't imagine that he is walking out on Northerns. Especially not in there darkest hour.

Can Northerns darkest hour get darker apart from Joe Gatting they haven't recruited and really do not have a proper coach. Scary to think that things may get worse!

The darkest hour will occur when they lose their talented 17/18/19 year olds due to the club recruiting and paying ordinary cricketers with bad attitudes, and now recruiting community cricketers. It appears the club will need some very strong leadership to see their way through this. They could do a lot worse than to back their developing players, supported by quality senior players.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Port Pirie Power » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Happycamper wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:

The darkest hour will occur when they lose their talented 17/18/19 year olds due to the club recruiting and paying ordinary cricketers with bad attitudes, and now recruiting community cricketers. It appears the club will need some very strong leadership to see their way through this. They could do a lot worse than to back their developing players, supported by quality senior players.

100% agree mate.

They are walking along a very tight line... If only some of the senior people involved in the club realised that.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Happycamper wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:

Whats wrong with recruiting community cricketers? Isnt that where every cricketer comes from :roll:
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2456 times
Been liked: 1683 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Are they getting many of their junior players through? Or do they head back to Barossa/Adelaide Turf/Para Districts when they finish playing juniors?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1465 times
Been liked: 245 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Are they getting many of their junior players through? Or do they head back to Barossa/Adelaide Turf/Para Districts when they finish playing juniors?

They are getting hardly any through, generally the kids from Barossa rather play A grade at their home club instead of fighting through the District Grades.

Even if this trend changed this year they only had 1 team in the 16s last season.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Lineandlength » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 am

Do all the premier clubs receive the same amount of funding from the SACA?
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby The Hound » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:57 am

heater31 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Led to believe he has taken the $ on offer at Pooraka

Not really. Pooraka are playing with fire here, because if they keep on raiding Northern Districts with paying players it will be only a matter of time before SACA get involved and bring in a similar system that we see in Football in limiting player payments....

Try getting that approved via the GCC :lol: , they don't approve anything :roll:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:26 am

Lineandlength wrote:Do all the premier clubs receive the same amount of funding from the SACA?

I think Uni get less because they don't have juniors. Also the clubs with women's teams have access to some funding for that. Otherwise it's the same across the board - however clubs have to put in applications each year, justify what they're going to use the money for, account for it etc.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lineandlength wrote:Do all the premier clubs receive the same amount of funding from the SACA?

I think Uni get less because they don't have juniors. Also the clubs with women's teams have access to some funding for that. Otherwise it's the same across the board - however clubs have to put in applications each year, justify what they're going to use the money for, account for it etc.

Interestingly the Cricket Australia Audit want $100,000 in the bank and 70% of revenue to be non association grant generated.

Currently SACA funding is about $50,000 less expenses (most clubs if not all? source match balls from SACA). Uni get about $20,000 less from memory

It costs Premier Cricket clubs around $1500 to $1800 each player to put a full compliment of teams on the park.
heater31

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Interestingly the Cricket Australia Audit want $100,000 in the bank and 70% of revenue to be non association grant generated.

Currently SACA funding is about $50,000 less expenses (most clubs if not all? source match balls from SACA). Uni get about $20,000 less from memory

It costs Premier Cricket clubs around $1500 to $1800 each player to put a full compliment of teams on the park.

Is that why Adelaide CC wanted to put Senior Fees up to $590 this season (according to my contact there). Settled on $480 in the end. West Torrens remaining the same as last year at $380.

Just shows how expensive it is becoming to play the game, and how much Clubs need the money to survive.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 542 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Is that why Adelaide CC wanted to put Senior Fees up to $590 this season (according to my contact there). Settled on $480 in the end. West Torrens remaining the same as last year at $380.

Just shows how expensive it is becoming to play the game, and how much Clubs need the money to survive.

Well when there is bugger all fund raising driven by the responsible board member for that activity I'm not surprised the bean counter had to propose something like that. Its disappointing from a player perspective as around 10 years ago Adelaide were one of the cheapest in the Comp and less than 5 years ago cheaper than one of their Community Club's fees....These days they are on track to be the first to break the $500 barrier.
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:55 pm

heater31 wrote:Well when there is bugger all fund raising driven by the responsible board member for that activity I'm not surprised the bean counter had to propose something like that. Its disappointing from a player perspective as around 10 years ago Adelaide were one of the cheapest in the Comp and less than 5 years ago cheaper than one of their Community Club's fees....These days they are on track to be the first to break the $500 barrier.

This is an issue.

The difference between turf clubs and grade clubs is that the grade clubs are all $50k worse at fundraising!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 pm

To on field matters I see Cricket Australia have released new guidelines in relation to Fast Bowlers.

Major changes to the Under 16 age group are now combined with Under 17's and they can now bowl an extra 2 overs per day's play.....

Under 19's have had 1 off chopped off their maximum per spell to 7 overs. Still can bowl 20 per day's play.
heater31

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm

heater31 wrote:To on field matters I see Cricket Australia have released new guidelines in relation to Fast Bowlers.

Major changes to the Under 16 age group are now combined with Under 17's and they can now bowl an extra 2 overs per day's play.....

Under 19's have had 1 off chopped off their maximum per spell to 7 overs. Still can bowl 20 per day's play.
What is the maximum amount of overs an under 16/17 can bowl in a days play Heater? How many in a spell?

I remember back in juniors our max per spell was 6 and you had to wait an hour before bowling a second spell, so usually you'd only bowl 12 in a day.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10678 times
Been liked: 1560 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps