ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA

Postby Trader » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:15 pm

tigerpie wrote:Unfortunately some teams rate winning/cheating over fair play. These same teams seem to crash out when finals come around.
On another note, there seems to be very inventive scorers in the l.o. comp?
1s turn in to 4s pretty easy!

Not the first time that side has been accused of doing that this season.
Apparently in round 1 they listed 5 sixes despite not a single 6 being hit all innings.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Trader » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Gotta love when team's umpire themselves:

A new take on the walking rule: A team, in a grade which umpires itself, has a walking rule - to make it easier for their team-mates who are umps. On the weekend, a bloke's smashed the ball and hasn't walked. The ump's response was along the lines of, "we have a walking rule. He didn't walk, so I didn't give him".

Funnily enough, one of our umpires the week before gave his best mate out caught behind, even though he didn't hear the snick due to the wind: "He's my best mate, I looked at his face and knew he was guilty, so I gave him out".

Certainly an interesting one. I'm a big fan of whufc's method.

whufc wrote:Proper umpire- never walk
Own umpire- walk

There is one guy at my club who is known as a non-walker. Whenever I umpire and there is any form of reasonable appeal I give him out.

On the weekend we were playing a side that didn't walk. Guy hit one through to the keeper and stood his ground.
Two overs later their best batsman inside edged one onto his pads and was given LBW. Normally we wouldn't have appealed but after the earlier actions, I had no issue with putting the heat on the umpire for the LB.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Unfortunately some teams rate winning/cheating over fair play. These same teams seem to crash out when finals come around.

Not sure if this guy thought of it as cheating, rather his interpretation of their 'rules'.

As opposed to "the rules"
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:42 pm

whufc wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The golden rule at our club when umpiring is that you are the umpire first and foremost, and team loyalty goes out the window. Our blokes are instructed to walk when they know they've knicked it so as not to pressure your mate into having to give you out.

Yep should standanised rule

Proper umpire- never walk

Own umpire- walk

That's my take on it, I've suspended/dropped blokes for making a mockery of the rules.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Not sure if this guy thought of it as cheating, rather his interpretation of their 'rules'.

As opposed to "the rules"

I get what you're saying.

I, honestly, think the batsman, in this situation, is worse than the umpire. He knows his mate won't give him and he's stood there.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Not that it's ever a problem for me, but I always walk when we have to umpire ourselves.
If I'm doubtful, I'll look at the fielder and ask him, if he gives me the nod, it's hard to argue. I've learned, over the years, that if you look the fielder in the eye for a tight slips catch, they'll do the right thing.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Got to be honest though i think i would struggle to play a full season of cricket where we didn't have proper umpires.

Had to play a B Grade game earlier this year where we umpired ourselves. Early on Ive played a cut shot smashed an underside edge which has bounced between the keeper and first slip, we have ran two and when i turn around my own umpire is giving us leg byes, the other team abused him about if he couldnt hear that etc etc.

A few overs later one has gone down leg to me to which i didnt really attempt to play much of a shot (i know this is my fault) the bag clips the outside of my pad and gets taking by the keeper, he jokingly throws the ball in the air and is the only one to give a little "YEAAAAAH' to which my own umpire has fired me in seconds. In all honesty if the keeper hadn't taking it and we ran it should have been called a dead ball for not offering a shot. Our umpire was only a young lad so i didnt react or saying anything and took my medicine.

Deciding to be the good team man i went out and umpired for about 20 odd overs to which i spent my whole day explaining to the opposition who thought i was cheating that it simply cannot be LBW not matter what it is doing if it pitches outside leg stump. The reply being if it pitches outside off it can be f***king LB mate.' I explained to them while i don't necessarily agree with the rule it is pretty common knowledge that rule exists. That conversation took place on at least 5 occasions.

It was the most unenjoyable day of cricket i have had in a very long time
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2539 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Not that it's ever a problem for me, but I always walk when we have to umpire ourselves.
If I'm doubtful, I'll look at the fielder and ask him, if he gives me the nod, it's hard to argue. I've learned, over the years, that if you look the fielder in the eye for a tight slips catch, they'll do the right thing.

Totally agree, that is another unwritten rule that should be honored at all levels of cricket. If a guy is going to look me in the eyes and cheat then that's him who has to live with that and he will always know the real truth. The cricket gods will smile on me!!

We had an interesting one on the weekend where one of our fielders was on the boundary lwhen he dropped the catch and it went over the boundary. No one could tell whether it went for a six or four yet the whole opposition (who were 150m away) were screaming at the fielder to call it a six. Like he said he had no bloody idea where the ball went after he jumped, dropped it and landed in some awkward position, his words if i saw the ball that well i would have caught thing. Anyways to save the argument and the fact no one could really tell where it landed we were happy for them to give it six as we should have taken the catch in the first place.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:12 pm

In my few seasons playing in the LO comp in ATCA, we haven't had too many problems. You might have one a season where you really wonder as most blokes know the situation and regulate themselves. I reckon that's pretty commendable.
The worst day I've seen in my time was in a semi-final when we had official umpires. My LBW and two run outs that weren't had us pretty peeved off - in one of the run outs, the ball passed behind the batsman as he was running.
We wouldn't have won anyway, but it didn't make it any easier for us.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:In my few seasons playing in the LO comp in ATCA, we haven't had too many problems. You might have one a season where you really wonder as most blokes know the situation and regulate themselves. I reckon that's pretty commendable.
The worst day I've seen in my time was in a semi-final when we had official umpires. My LBW and two run outs that weren't had us pretty peeved off - in one of the run outs, the ball passed behind the batsman as he was running.
We wouldn't have won anyway, but it didn't make it any easier for us.

I must say the standard of the PDCA offical umpires has been really good this year.

Its the usual crew but i don't think we have had to many shockers this year at all. We had Merlin on the weekend and his normally good for one or two weird decisions but he went at 100% on the weekend i reckon.
whufc
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Agree with Dog, the lower grade umpires are the worst. Far better off sticking with umpiring yourself. At least you know what rules you are playing to then.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby helicopterking » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 am

All grades off. No surprises there.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby tigerpie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 am

Seniors heated off and juniors potentially rained off tomorrow?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:44 am

tigerpie wrote:Seniors heated off and juniors potentially rained off tomorrow?

Yep, crazy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Goes BANG!! » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:49 pm

State league baseballer looking for a T20 bash..not sure where to start. Anyone looking for players???
Goes BANG!!
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dukes of hazard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 am

It's pretty quiet on here........
The real stuff returns this weekend!
Can anyone stop Pooraka??
Will Paoc close the gap with a big win over Payneham?
Will the Cats continue to surprise?
Lots of question!
The top 2 then daylight with 10th placed Brighton a couple of good wins out of the top 4!
It even!
dukes of hazard
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Trader » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Not really a surprise from the Cats. They dominated A2 last year and were always going to be around the 4 this year.
They do finish with games against PAOC and Pooraka so might slide out of the four, but it will be only just, if they do.

Pooraka still to play the bottom three in Pembroke, Woody Rec and Brighton so you'd expect them to pick up enough bonus points to remain clear even if they happen to drop a game somewhere (ie: Walkerville in the last round which could be a dead rubber for the Bulls).

Goodwood Vs SPOC this week seems to be the pick of the games. SPOC can drop it and still make the four, though it would be tight. Goodwood on the other hand really need to win given you'd expect them to drop their round 9 game against PAOC.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Reynella v Brighton is a big game for both clubs. A Reynella win puts them in finals calculations, a Brighton loss could see them in the relegation zone.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Trader wrote:Not really a surprise from the Cats. They dominated A2 last year and were always going to be around the 4 this year.
They do finish with games against PAOC and Pooraka so might slide out of the four, but it will be only just, if they do.

Pooraka still to play the bottom three in Pembroke, Woody Rec and Brighton so you'd expect them to pick up enough bonus points to remain clear even if they happen to drop a game somewhere (ie: Walkerville in the last round which could be a dead rubber for the Bulls).

Goodwood Vs SPOC this week seems to be the pick of the games. SPOC can drop it and still make the four, though it would be tight. Goodwood on the other hand really need to win given you'd expect them to drop their round 9 game against PAOC.

A quick edit.
"They dominated A2 last year"......but not when it counted.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Trader » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Reynella will account for Brighton easily this week. No Hatji is too much for Brighton to overcome.
Reynella would need to knock off Brighton, Payneham, Woody Rec (all expected), then would have potentially an elimination final against Goodwood in round 11 to make it.

As for Brighton slipping into the relegation zone, unlikely, Pembroke and Woody Rec don't seem likely to win a game all season (except when they play each other in Rd 11). Both sides' next three games are against the top 5 clubs. Going to be a long and hot Jan/Feb for these boys.
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps